Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,900 members, 7,828,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor (1238 Views)

Chiwetel Ejiofor And Beyonce To Star In ‘The Lion King' Remake / Chiwetel Ejiofor Celebrates His 40th Birthday Today / Chiwetel Ejiofor's Sister, Kandibe Weds Dele In Enugu (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor by Airforce1(m): 5:46am On Oct 05, 2015
Chiwetel Ejiofor has said he believes his Igbo name helped push his career forward.

24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!
Subscribe

Chiwetel Ejiofor  (Jordan Strauss-Invision-AP)
The Londorn-born 38-year-old actor, said he was advised to change his surname to get better roles, but he refused to do so and he believes it gave him more opportunities.

Chiwetel Ejiofor said:

"I couldn't understand what the problem was. I mean, bring it on. Let's do that!

They seemed to think it was a negative, but it allowed me to work in Africa, in England and in the States.

I didn't think I had a chance of being a film actor. My focus was trying to get into the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) or the National Theatre. The thought of being a star never occurred to me.''

READ: Chiwetel splits with model girlfriend

Speaking with Red Magazine, he said his mother wasn't initially happy with his ambitions:

''I got good grades, so she wanted me to go to university at least. But at 15 I was quite wilful and demanding. I got a scholarship to MALDA and said I'd support myself with this job and that. It was a fait accompli, you know.''

READ: Chiwetel spotted with mystery woman after breakup

The '12 Years A Slave' star's sister, Zain Asher, is a news anchor for CNN, a job he admits he isn't cut out for.

He said: ''I'm too sensitive to do what my sister does. She's interacting with the reality of the social and political world. It would drive me completely nuts.''

Talking about what he'd like to name his daughter, he said:

"There’s an Igbo name, Obianuju, it’s a girl’s name. The translation is ‘to come into a place where there is plenty. For me, it has always been the most beautiful name to call a child. Because we have enough, we have plenty."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4juVvkaWTQ

http://pulse.ng/celebrities/chiwetel-ejiofor-british-nigerian-actor-believes-igbo-name-helped-his-career-progress-id4228802.html

Re: My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor by whirlwind7(m): 5:49am On Oct 05, 2015
My man.
My hommie.
My nigga.
My brother!

Ain't nothing like being proud of your roots and repping where you come from.
One of the few black men you would be happy to have as your next door neighbor.

1 Like

Re: My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor by 2kris(m): 5:51am On Oct 05, 2015
These guy na really igbo kwenu lol
Re: My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor by Airforce1(m): 5:52am On Oct 05, 2015
Ndigbo are proud of you bro

God bless you
Re: My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor by slap1(m): 5:53am On Oct 05, 2015
That's beautiful, and even more beautiful to know he has decided on an Igbo name for his daughter.

1 Like

Re: My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor by Tallesty1(m): 5:58am On Oct 05, 2015
Airforce1:
I laugh when I see some naija parents name their children "Chelsea, beverly, Nicole and some other yeye Oyibo names..

1 Like

Re: My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor by Airforce1(m): 6:07am On Oct 05, 2015
Cc Lalasticlala
Re: My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor by donholy28(m): 6:17am On Oct 05, 2015
Igbo kwenu!!!
Re: My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor by englishmart(m): 6:19am On Oct 05, 2015
shey na this man act half of a yellow sun? if yes, then the man is my best actor

1 Like

Re: My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor by Nobody: 6:21am On Oct 05, 2015
So we should now change our names to Igbo before we can make it?

Bro, you were exceptionally good!!
Re: My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor by Nobody: 6:36am On Oct 05, 2015
Thanks for making us proud as NIGERIANS.
Re: My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor by Airforce1(m): 6:40am On Oct 05, 2015
englishmart:
shey na this man act half of a yellow sun? if yes, then the man is my best actor
You're right
Re: My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor by Eniqurl(f): 6:52am On Oct 05, 2015
Ok
Re: My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor by pretydiva(f): 6:53am On Oct 05, 2015
Ndigbo kwenu...click like if ur proudly ibo smiley

1 Like

Re: My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor by yomalex(m): 7:17am On Oct 05, 2015
Interesting read
Re: My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor by Sommyangel(f): 7:25am On Oct 05, 2015
Mr man go and shave
Re: My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor by ClassCaptain(m): 8:09am On Oct 05, 2015
Chiwetel Ejiofor ...I still don't understand that half of a yellow sun movie
Re: My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor by nuelzy: 8:33am On Oct 05, 2015
whirlwind7:
My man.
My hommie.
My nigga.
My brother!

Ain't nothing like being proud of your roots and repping where you come from.
One of the few black men you would be happy to have as your next door neighbor.
are u by chance related to kalu ikeagwu alias masters??
Re: My Igbo Name Helped Push My Career Forward - Chiwetel Ejiofor by whirlwind7(m): 10:02am On Oct 05, 2015
nuelzy:
are u by chance related to kalu ikeagwu alias masters??

No, bro.

(1) (Reply)

Tiwa Savage Cat Walks In Her Gorgeously Ripped Skirts. / Don Jazzy Travelling To Rome (flight Photo) / The Bad Things Going On In Universities With Males & Females,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.