Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,021 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators (37160 Views)

Prof. Anthony Onwuka, Ministerial Nominee From Imo State, Would be Screened Out / Dino Melaye: Amaechi Will Be Screened Tomorrow / Ministerial List: Buhari Must Be Screened If He’s Petroleum Minister—senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by damton(m): 8:31am On Oct 06, 2015
poseidon12:

Is the president above the law of the land? Why would he not appear before the house just as the other nominees? At least to explain why he should be oil minister. We should not allow any dictatorship in this country anymore.
it's not about dictatorship, it's the prerogative of the president to man and supervise any ministry. besides, by virtue of his position as the chief executive, he is the no. 1 minister of all the ministries in his cabinet.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Chiaka(f): 8:51am On Oct 06, 2015
Agree. President needs to be screened also if he is to be named a minister. The rule must be followed and representatives from every state just like the constitution states. It took him about 4 months to submit a least the senate should be gien enough time to carry out their duty and not to rush them into not abiding to the constitution. Things have to be done rightly
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by AnanseK(m): 9:09am On Oct 06, 2015
PublicAssurance:
[size=18pt]Dumb senators of the Federal Republic....Buhari needs to be screened because he is not qualified to be petroleum minister.[/size]

In his own government.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by AnanseK(m): 9:21am On Oct 06, 2015
A government Minister is appointed to help an elected president to implement government policies. A minister is an extension of the president , he/she is part of the executive arm of the government. Because in the Nigerian and American Systems ministers are not elected , they will need to be screened and approved by our elected representatives - the senators. So the country is indirectly ( through elected representatives) endorsing the ministerial appointments.

In countries like Britain , Ministers are all elected members of the House of Parliament so there is no need for them to be screened again by the house.
To say that the president must be screened for him to be a minister in his own government sounds so ludicrous and ignorant. I do not expect this thinking even from the children's parliament.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by AnanseK(m): 9:25am On Oct 06, 2015
AnanseK:

A government Minister is appointed to help an elected president to implement government policies. A minister is an extension of the president , he/she is part of the executive arm of the government. Because in the Nigerian and American Systems ministers are not elected , they will need to be screened and approved by our elected representatives - the senators. So the country is indirectly ( through elected representatives) endorsing the ministerial appointments.

In countries like Britain , Ministers are all elected members of the House of Parliament so there is no need for them to be screened again by the house.
To say that the president must be screened for him to be a minister in his own government sounds so ludicrous and ignorant. I do not expect this preposterous nonsense even from the children's parliament.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by fx45(m): 9:37am On Oct 06, 2015
Eco2580:
BABA BUHARI is ever ready to be (screen) by the (so call) Senators, after all majority of them aint (suppose) to be Councillors talkless of Senator.
I was opportuned to be part of()Screening team who are responsible for (screen) Senators/Reps in ...... State before primary election,
When i went through the CV of one of their 3 Senators I found out that he only had 3 (credit) in his (WEAC), he doesnt have any other Certificate beside() (WEAC).
So tell me Who is afraid of (screeening) from such kind of People who found themselves where they aint suppose to be.

Go on BABA Nigerians are behind you!
Mr Man, your grammar is appalling! I guess you're from the Northern part of Nigeria.... Otherwise I don't understand why someone with your level of education and quality of English Language (written and spoken) would find himself in a position to screen anybody(cattle-rearers inclusive)

Anyway, it is true that a one-eyed man is king in the land of the blind.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Boyooosa(m): 10:22am On Oct 06, 2015
Sincerely I thought as much....
I bliv it should be in good fate sha o, so dat Gadaffi's theory will not play a role in Nigerian Political system... Just thinking aloud.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Bakersfield: 10:32am On Oct 06, 2015
2n2k:
[b]I will rather believe this is from our dumb journalists not from our 'distinguished' senators.

First of all, the constitution already confer on the president, the position of chief executive. All ministers hold positions at his pleasure.

Second, the list he sends to the senate contains no portfolio. He has the discretion to assign or re-assign the minister any time. The senate will only confirm the nominees as minister. They won't know where they will be assigned.

The constitution does not recognize any minister by position except the minister of justice. So the president can name 35 of them Minister without Portfolio (like in the first republic when some ministers were without portfolio) or the current nomenclature -Minister for Special Duties. Once he names the minister of justice, he is covered by law.

Thirdly, Only the president is held accountable for executive functions by constitution. Ministers exercise only delegated presidential powers. He is the Chief Minister already and cannot be screened for a job which is already a part of his job content.[/b]

Very sound and intelligent submission. Spot on and unbiased analysis. I found many on this forum to be myopic and baised on their

submission due to tribal sentiments. My guy thanks, you made my day.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by nigerianvenom(m): 12:48pm On Oct 06, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
The 8th Senate is the most dumbest and useless Senate EVER! How can you even think of screening a President that has popular mandate? I think these Senators don't have any idea on their duties as parliamentarians. Lemme be very clear, they CANNOT screen a President.

As for 'Take-a-bow' Senators, I don't see anything different.

He must be screen as a minister if he wants to handle such position, that's the fact
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by PassingShot(m): 2:30pm On Oct 06, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
The 8th Senate is the most dumbest and useless Senate EVER! How can you even think of screening a President that has popular mandate? I think these Senators don't have any idea on their duties as parliamentarians. Lemme be very clear, they CANNOT screen a President.

Nothing like "most dumbest". It is "dumbest".

Thank me later. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Realist2: 5:07pm On Oct 06, 2015
Captainswag225:
thats very correct.... Am sure they will expose his cluelessness during the screening.... Buhari knows nothing.

Buhari has a resume most suitable for minister of defence as a retired general, let him make himself minister of defence so he can fix the security situation in the North east, why is he insisting on petroleum ?.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Episteme2(m): 11:03am On Oct 07, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Oga, management of a ministry is not a popularity contest.
Competence and technical dispositions cannot be sacrificed on the alter of public mandate and that is why ministries are not for political exercises.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:09am On Oct 07, 2015
Episteme2:

Oga, management of a ministry is not a popularity contest.
Competence and technical dispositions cannot be sacrificed on the alter of public mandate and that is why ministries are not for political exercises.
What are you saying sir? Nigerians have already given him the mandate... All his appointments are his prerogative

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

81-Year-Old Olusegun Obasanjo Playing Squash (Photos) / Chadian Soldiers Patrol Gambaru After Recapturing It From Boko Haram (Photo) / Odinkalu, Fani-kayode In Twitter War Over Hate Speech.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.