Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,751 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car (63919 Views)

Do You Know 5 Must-check Parts When Buying A Used Car? / Buying A Used Car? These Tips May Save You Some Heartbreaks!!! / Top 10 Most Problematic Cars To Avoid When Buying A Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Fernandinho: 10:11am On Dec 30, 2016
seunlayi:
your most important document when you buy a 2nd hand car in Nigeria is your loads of neatly 20's, 50's,100, 200 Naira notes in a safe place in the car for easy handing over to our uniform men who will never let you go unless you bless them with one of those notes. If you want to prove me wrong, drive your car without any of those notes and watch them telling you that you've bought a stolen car.

Experience is the best teacher

Lol
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 30, 2016
pls what of motorbike (Okada)
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by staysure: 10:50am On Dec 30, 2016
ok
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by tnthommie(m): 11:02am On Dec 30, 2016
nurey:
1. custom documents fully stamped and check whether all things correspond like name and model of car, VIN and all payments were made. Mostly like 6 or more papers could be photocopy if multiple cars were cleared by one dealer but make sure it is a clear crisp document not faded crap and don't take the nobody will ask you for customer paper crap, it could spell doom or stolen vehicle.

2. CMR (computerized motor registration) original copy

3. Current insurance (original copy)

4. Vehicle licence (original copy)

5. Road worthiness certificate (original copy)

6. Plate number allocation (original copy)

7. Original proof of ownership fully stamped

8. You will collect two printed and signed documents
a. Change of ownership document
b. Receipt of purchase from previous owner

There are some other documents you may need like
1. Tinted permit doc
2. police report/doc of change of ownership/plate number/engine number (which we call vin)

make sure you see the change of ownership letter given to the buyer duly signed when he first bought it as Nigerian used except the car was bought as tokunbo then you may not need this.

Once the car doesn't have custom doc except it's a beetle and the documents have expired years ago, I suggest you stay away from such ride.

Bro pls is police report also needed for tokunbo cars?, i hv been extorted by the police men once for that.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 11:45am On Dec 30, 2016
tnthommie:

Bro pls is police report also needed for tokunbo cars?, i hv been extorted by the police men once for that.

There are 3 docs stapled together
1. Revenue collectors receipt (original)
2. Information for clearance of used vehicle imported into Nigeria (the NPF logo is water marked on it)
3. Particulars of motor vehicle (NPF Logo water marked on it)

I guess this are the police report they are looking for.

3 Likes

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by bdorg(m): 2:04pm On Dec 30, 2016
Thanks for the information.

For a naija used car, can I change the original names on the vehicle particulars to mine after purchase as everything about the car and plate number shows the name of the old owner.

thanks in advance

1 Like

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by esan1(m): 4:30pm On Dec 30, 2016
Good to know all this information
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Nobody: 7:02pm On Dec 30, 2016
bdorg:
Thanks for the information.

For a naija used car, can I change the original names on the vehicle particulars to mine after purchase as everything about the car and plate number shows the name of the old owner.

thanks in advance

Ofcourse you can change the name on the vehicle documents to yours as the current owner. All you need do is having all the above listed documents from the former owner of the vehicle, you then proceed to processing your proper change of ownership and re registration of already registered vehicle. This comes with your own no plate and all original documents in your name.

For further clearification, contact me through my no on my signature.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by PURITYAUTOZ: 9:30pm On Dec 30, 2016
Please you don't the old plate number or the plate number papers. The most important document you need is the customs papers of the car, the new law stated that the plate number belongs to the owner of the car not the car. You can not renew the plate numbers paper in your name unless you still want the old owners name to be there. Get a receipt and change of ownership letter from the owner of the vehicle, then go to court and police station to legalize it and got for your own plate number. You can get the plate numbers paper and keep it for your record. Thanks {PURITY MOTORS LTD}
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by azimibraun: 9:35pm On Dec 30, 2016
Nigerian use don take over....
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Nobody: 10:45pm On Dec 30, 2016
PURITYAUTOZ:
Please you don't the old plate number or the plate number papers. The most important document you need is the customs papers of the car, the new law stated that the plate number belongs to the owner of the car not the car. You can not renew the plate numbers paper in your name unless you still want the old owners name to be there. Get a receipt and change of ownership letter from the owner of the vehicle, then go to court and police station to legalize it and got for your own plate number. You can get the plate numbers paper and keep it for your record. Thanks {PURITY MOTORS LTD}

Correct. When you buy a Nigerian used vehicle, the no plate on the vehicle belongs to the former owner if it's the new no plate. But if it's the old no plate, must be returned to the government at the point of change of ownership /re registration. So the new owner must get his own no plate in order to change the name on the documents to his name. But if the current owner isn't ready to go through this process, he can then renew the documents and keep driving in the former owner's name but this is dangerous both for the former owner and the current owner.

3 Likes

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by computerglobal(m): 10:20pm On Dec 31, 2016
Good day. How do I know the VIN of a tokunbo car? Is it possible to get a free VIR online? Or can you help me out with VIN report?[/quote]

Get Your Vehicle History Report
Pm Me or check my profile signature for email and phone number
Sms Your Vin To 08060365068

Visit this thread below for your vin report

https://www.nairaland.com/3525120/get-vehicle-history-reports-association

https://www.nairaland.com/3523819/come-vin-checks-reports

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by computerglobal(m): 7:37am On Jan 02, 2017
computerglobal:
Season's Greetings!!!
Get Your Vehicle History Report Pm Me or check my profile signature for email and phone number Sms Your Vin To 08060365068
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by OMEGA009(m): 7:42pm On Jan 02, 2017
Sorry but @ d risk of sounding like a novice, what's the difference between CMR and plate number allocation? Tnx
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by tripoli007(m): 10:13am On Jan 03, 2017
Militaryzone:
U also need a court sworn Affidavit for d change of ownership dat it now belongs to u, police report and it receipt. Bc police men can be very funny sometimes.

Very true had this issue with some policemen too .. Had to part with 3k..cos I didn't have the court affidavit ..which I later did
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by 2baga(m): 5:28pm On Jan 03, 2017
nurey:
1. custom documents fully stamped and check whether all things correspond like name and model of car, VIN and all payments were made. Mostly like 6 or more papers could be photocopy if multiple cars were cleared by one dealer but make sure it is a clear crisp document not faded crap and don't take the nobody will ask you for customer paper crap, it could spell doom or stolen vehicle.

2. CMR (computerized motor registration) original copy

3. Current insurance (original copy)

4. Vehicle licence (original copy)

5. Road worthiness certificate (original copy)

6. Plate number allocation (original copy)

7. Original proof of ownership fully stamped

8. You will collect two printed and signed documents
a. Change of ownership document
b. Receipt of purchase from previous owner

There are some other documents you may need like
1. Tinted permit doc
2. police report/doc of change of ownership/plate number/engine number (which we call vin)

make sure you see the change of ownership letter given to the buyer duly signed when he first bought it as Nigerian used except the car was bought as tokunbo then you may not need this.

Once the car doesn't have custom doc except it's a beetle and the documents have expired years ago, I suggest you stay away from such ride.

A real eye opener
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Greatmayok: 9:38pm On Jan 04, 2017
Thanks so much for the concise information.

nurey:

VIN is vehicle identification number, it is also known as chasis number on documents. for cars, it is imprinted at the right hand side below the windscreen check pix for location

i am guessing you mean vin report, cause nobody sells/gets/find/buy/provide VIN, only the manufacturer. there are threads here that provide free vin report or paid for quick report

1 Like

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Greatmayok: 9:38pm On Jan 04, 2017
Thanks so much for the concise information.
nurey:

VIN is vehicle identification number, it is also known as chasis number on documents. for cars, it is imprinted at the right hand side below the windscreen check pix for location

i am guessing you mean vin report, cause nobody sells/gets/find/buy/provide VIN, only the manufacturer. there are threads here that provide free vin report or paid for quick report
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by computerglobal(m): 10:40pm On Jan 04, 2017
computerglobal:
Good day. How do I know the VIN of a tokunbo car? Is it possible to get a free VIR online? Or can you help me out with VIN report?

Visit this thread below for your vin report

https://www.nairaland.com/3525120/get-vehicle-history-reports-association

https://www.nairaland.com/3523819/come-vin-checks-reports

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Mom007(f): 6:22am On Jan 05, 2017
Speaking of, does anyone have a naija used Kia picanto for sale? With all the correct Papers and documents obviously... Holla @ juessk@gmail.com
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by willie5: 5:30am On Jan 20, 2017
Thanks for the info! I usually rent cars ( at http://euroselfdrive.co.uk/shop/van-hire ), but seems like I am finally ready to buy one, even if it is used. Sooner or later everyone wants it's own vehicle.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by pufframmy: 11:30pm On Apr 08, 2017
how will i get police clearance on proof of ownership
adeoye27:
Please dont forget to have Police clearance on proof of ownership.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by pufframmy: 11:38pm On Apr 08, 2017
but i taught i heard it can be change on the state to new buyer without getting new plate no

achalugonata:

Correct. When you buy a Nigerian used vehicle, the no plate on the vehicle belongs to the former owner if it's the new no plate. But if it's the old no plate, must be returned to the government at the point of change of ownership /re registration. So the new owner must get his own no plate in order to change the name on the documents to his name. But if the current owner isn't ready to go through this process, he can then renew the documents and keep driving in the former owner's name but this is dangerous both for the former owner and the current owner.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by computerglobal(m): 6:59pm On Jun 12, 2017
computerglobal:

www.nairaland.com/computerglobal

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by pufframmy: 8:46pm On Jun 12, 2017
foor free

[quote author=computerglobal post=57456257][/quote]
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Nobody: 2:13am On Jun 04, 2018
pufframmy:
but i taught i heard it can be change on the state to new buyer without getting new plate no

This new no plate is designed in a way that it belongs to the vehicle's owner and not to the vehicle.
This means that if you buy a Nigerian used vehicle, the no plate belongs to the former owner as he can use it to register any other vehicle in his name while the current owner must get his own no plate in other to change the documents to his own name.
If the current owner isn't ready to get his own no plate, he or she will then have to continue driving the vehicle in the former owner's name though with the former owner's permission since he was meant to take his no plate.
Note that this isn't advisable.

1 Like

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by xcuggsm(m): 5:06am On Jun 09, 2018
How do I check the name a new plate number is registered with?
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jun 10, 2018
xcuggsm:
How do I check the name a new plate number is registered with?

Send the new no plate to 08030487887 via Watsap.

1 Like

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by MichaelSokoto(m): 10:29pm On Aug 10, 2018
achalugonata:

This new no plate is designed in a way that it belongs to the vehicle's owner and not to the vehicle.
This means that if you buy a Nigerian used vehicle, the no plate belongs to the former owner as he can use it to register any other vehicle in his name while the current owner must get his own no plate in other to change the documents to his own name.
If the current owner isn't ready to get his own no plate, he or she will then have to continue driving the vehicle in the former owner's name though with the former owner's permission since he was meant to take his no plate.
Note that this isn't advisable.

pls why do u say its not advisable? My friend sold his car to me wit his old plate number. He renewed it in his name for me to be able to drive d car 4 legitimate tinz only. pls wat do I tell d police incase dey ask why am drivin d car dat does not bear my name as my driv licence?
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by JAYUK(m): 5:53am On Aug 11, 2018
Please, I bought a Nigerian used car,which has the Tinted Permit,will I need to re do the Tinted Permit to bear my name or can I use it that way.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 7:02am On Aug 11, 2018
JAYUK:
Please, I bought a Nigerian used car,which has the Tinted Permit,will I need to re do the Tinted Permit to bear my name or can I use it that way.

You can use it that way but you must have a police report for change of plate number with your documents.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by CarGuideNG: 2:54pm On Sep 18, 2018
Greatmayok:

Good day. How do I know the VIN of a tokunbo car? Is it possible to get a free VIR online? Or can you help me out with VIN report?

Contact CarGuideNG for your accurate and comprehensive Vehicle History Reports / VIN checks.

Protect yourself from dangerous vehicle purchases, and potentially expensive future repairs.

https:///send?phone=2347011116171

carguide.ng@gmail.com

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7806517_img20180913wa0009_jpeg93ef2fd402fb0ab2969e36dcb6fb5a90

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Driver Covers Himself With Umbrella While Driving An Open-roof Benz In The Rain / Is It Ok To Drive This Car As A Lady(photo)? / Man Added External Air Conditioner And Generator To His Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.