Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,666 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. (7535 Views)

NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   / Buhari Can Cancel Power Privatisation – Nerc Boss / Power Sabotage: Jonathan Sacks PHCN Boss, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by AloyEmeka9: 11:31pm On Apr 22, 2009
EFCC arrests Dangote - Slams 121-count charge on NERC boss, others
Lanre Adewole, Abuja
Wednesday, April 22, 2009

THE Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Tuesday arrested billionaire-businessman, Alhaji Aliko Dangote, over his alleged involvement in the African Petroleum (AP) shares trading scandal.

A source in the commission confirmed that he was quizzed in Abuja by the operatives of the anti-graft agency.

AP Chairman, Femi Otedola, and the company’s shareholders had reportedly petitioned the commission over the alleged indictment of Dangote over the shares scandal, which had seen the Securities and Exchange Commission sanctioning Nova Securities, owned by a son of Chief Tony Anenih, former chairman of the Board of Trustees (BOT) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

Nova Securities and Dangote’s company had been reportedly involved in the alleged illegal sale of AP shares causing a free fall in the stock’s value. Otedola who is ranked behind Dangote as the second richest in Nigeria had accused his erstwhile friend of plots to ruin his business empire, an allegation which had been denied by Dangote’s camp.

Dangote is the vice-chairman of the Nigerian Stock Exchange and had been reportedly planning to succeed the incumbent chairman, Mr. Obadele Otudeko.

Another source, however, said that Dangote surrendered himself to the commission in Abuja, following a summons sent to him by the commission over the alleged scam.

As of press time, he was said to still be undergoing interrogation. However, there were indications that he was released on administrative bail last night.

Meanwhile, the trial of the chairman of the Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) chairman, Dr. Ransome Owan, and six other commissioners of the agency will commence before Justice Salisu Garba of the Abuja High Court today.

Nigerian Tribune gathered that a 121-count charge had been slammed on the accused over an alleged N1.5 billion scam. The accused were re-arrested by the commission yesterday preparatory to their arraignment today.

The affected commissioners are Alimi Abdulrazaq, the commissioner in charge of Legal Licensing and Enforcement; Mallam Abdulrahman Ado, Commissioner, Market Competition and Rates; M.B.G. Bunu, Commissioner, Finance and Management Services; Grace Eyoma, Commissioner, Government and Consumer Affairs.

Others are: O.C. Iloeje, Commissioner, Research and Development and Abimbola Odubiyi, Commissioner, Engineering Standard and Safety. A source said that the commission, in an attempt to avoid returning unspent fund to the treasury, bought 54 vehicles valued at N350 million between December 22 and 29, 2008 without due authorisation.

The commission was also alleged to have moved N500 million to a mortgage finance bank, also without authorisation. The money was meant for staff housing financing since April 2008.

The commission, which was funded 100 per cent by the government, collects from the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) N70 million every month, amounting to N840 million for last year, which allegedly could not be accounted for.

Its budget for 2008 was N2 billion, but “as a matter of fact, government gave it N5 billion” for that fiscal year, the source revealed. The commission also allegedly awarded contracts to companies that were not registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC).

http://www.tribune.com.ng/22042009/news/news1.html
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by AloyEmeka9: 11:38pm On Apr 22, 2009
EFCC must be drunk. Is Dangote the thieving politicians for obodo Nigeria.
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by ifihearam: 11:44pm On Apr 22, 2009
this efcc sef?i can bet my life nothing will come out of this arrest
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by AloyEmeka9: 1:00am On Apr 23, 2009
this efcc sef?i can bet my life nothing will come out of this arrest
wetin im do?
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by naijaking1: 1:25am On Apr 23, 2009
Smoke screen embarassed At a time when they should be exposing corrupt Nigeria politicians invovled in Halliburton, Seimens, Williams Brothers scandals, that inept EFCC woman is going around arresting businessmen even before the facts are out.
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by Nobody: 1:26am On Apr 23, 2009
O yea,

Clap for EFCC, they have no fear!!!!!!!

Fooooollllllssssss

Nigerians can't be fooled anymore, these arrests dont amount to anything.
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by Nobody: 1:27am On Apr 23, 2009
The M.I.L.F. who calls herself Farida Waziri is a disgrace to womanhood.
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by Kobojunkie: 1:39am On Apr 23, 2009
@Poster, This AP issue has been on the table a while, so I see no reason why the EFCC cannot pursue this while it does other issues like Haliburton etc.  I cannot vouch for Dangote being 80% clean but if there is something in this, I do support that it be investigated. Doubt the EFCC would actually think they could placate us with this arrest.
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by Pataki: 2:16am On Apr 23, 2009
How many times has the EFCC been petitioned about the case of OBJ, IBB and some crooks in Nigeria? But yet when a petition was made in respect to Dangote, they know how to quickly respond to that?

Farida and her cohorts are MAD!
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by idupaul: 6:58am On Apr 23, 2009
how? but he was cleared of any wrong doing in the matter
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by AloyEmeka9: 9:32am On Apr 23, 2009

@Poster, This AP issue has been on the table a while, so I see no reason why the EFCC cannot pursue this while it does other issues like Haliburton etc. I cannot vouch for Dangote being 80% clean but if there is something in this, I do support that it be investigated. Doubt the EFCC would actually think they could placate us with this arrest.
Why are they not arresting Chimaroke, Igbinedion,Odili and Ibori?. What did Dangote do?
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by otokx(m): 11:12am On Apr 23, 2009
i don't believe this
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by Nobody: 11:35am On Apr 23, 2009
Dangote is a model Nigerian Elite

Corrupt or not he is investing in Nigeria.

If all the loot by others have been used to start up companies at home and create Jobs.

I doubt if Nigeria would have been the same.
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by ud4u: 11:41am On Apr 23, 2009
They have missed the focus, they are just pursuing shadows.

If Obj and Atiku are still walking freely in Nigeria, then EFCC is making mockery of all the whole parades.
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by favcom(m): 12:41pm On Apr 23, 2009
mikeansy:

If all the loot by others have been used to start up companies at home and create Jobs.

Some replies simply amazes me sha shocked
'Cos someone is 'investing' in Nigeria means he can be corrupt
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by PofP: 12:43pm On Apr 23, 2009
The man was not arrested, he was invited for questioning after allegations were made against him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by MrCrackles(m): 12:45pm On Apr 23, 2009
Topic

I dont even know what to say!!

In a country where nothing is transparent, it leaves someone is situation where you cant even make a positive or negative comment! grin
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by SamMilla1(m): 12:46pm On Apr 23, 2009
When are they arresting ATIKU, IBB and OBJ?
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by izicode: 12:50pm On Apr 23, 2009
quizing and arrest are two different things. so Dangote was invited to be quizzed.

I am not suprized with his act because the common Nigerian have robed alot by

Dangote and his business plans.
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by MrCrackles(m): 12:50pm On Apr 23, 2009
Sam Milla:

When are they arresting ATIKU, IBB and OBJ?

In another lifetime i guess!
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by jamace(m): 12:55pm On Apr 23, 2009
See the irony of life. Some of us are just looking for our  daily meals while others have surplus to the extent that they are fighting dirty,  competing for the position of the richest man in Nigeria. May some naira/dollar drop from their agbada pockets for people like us to pick.
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by texazzpete(m): 1:08pm On Apr 23, 2009
Why do you people imagine that EFCC is only capable of doing one thing at a time? The new refrain on Nairaland is to greet anything EFCC does with derision simply because they haven't done some things you expect them to do.

mikeansy:

The man is being accused of illegal conspiracy to devalue another company. Do you know how many shareholders of AP would have lost money due to his alleged actions?
Are you not aware that many delta indigenes feel that Ibori did some good in the state? Does that make him any less corrupt? Is investing money in Nigeria a sure way to absolve one of corruption charges? Is it not the same Dangote whose monopoly of the cement industry is one of the drivers behind the stratospheric prices for cement?
I find your quote comment extremely dissapointing for someone who claims to be against corruption.

There's also three paragraphs in the OP devoted to the arraignment of people in the power sector alleged to have siphoned over 1.5 billion naira. Pity you guys are too blinded with rage to allow reason to kick in.
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by chidichris(m): 1:14pm On Apr 23, 2009
Dangote is not an ordinary businessman. his deals are more with FG. he is more of a secret politician.
on the other hand, he was quizzed and not arrested. farida is 100% different from ribadu who will on the sintruction of his master arrest and deal with his victim without thinking about the law.
if the constitution of nigeria will force pdp to allow these commision to become an institution very much indepent of otah farms and other political bandits, efcc will work without fear or favour.
because pdd always want to be in charge of efcc, they can always manourver whosoever that is in charge.
a closer look at dangote and his transactions with past administrations will put him on the same corruption levels with the likes of obj, atiku and tony annenih our country's top political criminals.
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by PurestBoy(m): 1:15pm On Apr 23, 2009
I wish I could slap this Farida woman, Afterall she's going to apologise and who are they even fooling?
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by OKEYCHIVIV(m): 1:18pm On Apr 23, 2009
investigation,interogation,probe whatever.
what is the outcome.The govt and its agencies is , God help us.
The national Assembly do not know what it is or how to make laws they were elected to make.
its a pitty.
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by OLADO(m): 1:31pm On Apr 23, 2009
Excuse me, Was He arrested or Summoned for Questioning which I Heard took EFCC 8hrs. EFCC self!!!
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by kaypinchi(m): 2:02pm On Apr 23, 2009
here we go again
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by Bawss1(m): 2:35pm On Apr 23, 2009
The newspaper's title of the story is misleading, so also is this thread. People seem to leap without looking just for the fun of it, maybe its just a regular NL thing sad angry
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by Kobojunkie: 2:36pm On Apr 23, 2009
@Poster, what proof do you have that he is innocent? Can anyone here vouch for this man's innocence with support? He happens to live in the very same country where transparency is fiction; even he is not open when it comes to all his finances. Why is it suddenly not ok for the EFCC to investigate him? I know we are all frustrated that the EFCC is not doing a better job but that does not mean it should do nothing at all until it decides to go after those we want fingered, or does it?
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by Bawss1(m): 2:38pm On Apr 23, 2009
The newspaper's title of the story is misleading, so also is this thread. People seem to leap without looking just for the fun of it, maybe its just a  regular NL thing  sad angry
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by Nobody: 2:39pm On Apr 23, 2009
i'm sure the senate is pushing for this investigation because their fingers got burned buying into this 'sure banker' investment  in AP grin
Re: EFCC Arrests Dangote. Charges NERC Boss, Others. by MrCrackles(m): 2:42pm On Apr 23, 2009
So was he actually invited for questioning or arrested?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Demolishes Three Mosques, Relocates Churches. / Nnamdi Kanu Disobeys Bail Stays With 100 People PICS VIDEO / Meet The Man Who Created The Name Biafra, He Is Not Even An Igbo Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.