Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,586 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:00 PM

**odd Question** How Does Your Language Handle Logical Statements?(repost) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / **odd Question** How Does Your Language Handle Logical Statements?(repost) (2916 Views)

What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? / Say Good Morning In Your Language / Repost: Ooni Of Ife Descends From Benin Empire - Oba Of Benin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: **odd Question** How Does Your Language Handle Logical Statements?(repost) by absoluteSuccess: 11:35am On Oct 12, 2015
LordBabs:
Na so. Hows the semantics war going?

We are faring fair on this semantic frontline o, my prof.
Re: **odd Question** How Does Your Language Handle Logical Statements?(repost) by musicwriter(m): 12:04pm On Oct 12, 2015
RandomAfricanAm:

True but that's not the point of contention.
That's almost like asking how are nouns/adjectives used in a language or what's the word for tree, then someone says well all languages have adjectives either before or after the noun and a word for tree.

The point is to see how logic is conceived/processed in a given set of languages, for compilation purposes not for comparative purposes or to state what is unique to any given language.

words are used to linguistically encapsulate phenomena for use in communication. We all share the same fundamental reality(just different areas/constructions of it) so we are going to see a large overlap in phenomena. As a result words are going to encapsulate similar things and grammar is probably going to overlap even more in content(example: logical concepts)/if not structure of that content(procedure those concepts take).

Semantics war !!!! ....sorry, saw a chance and had to use it tongue

Ok, but the OP got it a bit confusing. He/she should've just said SEMANTICS instead of that long post.

Just few days ago I was thinking about the semantics of the word "bitter leaf" which is called "olugbo" in Igbo language. literately, translates: Olu (that bitters) + gbo (from early) or just early.

The semantics includes the following:-

1. bitter from early.
2. bitter from creation.
3. Forever bitter.
4. Always bitter.
5. Bitter from the beginning.

So, when I compared the logic of the meaning in my Igbo language I found out it had more intuitive meaning than in English.

But, then I was hit with a moral question. Isn't it arrogant for one to think his/her language is better than others in this regard?. Won't every other civilization claim theirs is better?.

This's just one of the many reasons we Africans should make a U-turn and pay more attention to the development of our native African languages, cause everything we do in English language, including on this forum is advancing English language to the detriment of our native languages.

I have been looking for Igbo keyboard, Yoruba keyboard, Hausa keyboard, e.t.c for the past 2 years. Nobody knows where I could buy one, because we've killed our native languages by ourselves.

We Africans seems to be fine tuned for eternal foolishness; scholars, intellectuals, educationists, presidents, ministers, governors, everybody. But, I won't be part of that.

At the end of the day, English people believes their language is superior to ours.

I escalated this post on my blog. Anybody interested in reading more should see Intellectual slavery, the worst legacy of colonialism http://www.africason.com/2015/10/intellectual-slavery-most-dangerous.html

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Some Nigerian Wedding Attires- Igbo/yoruba/hausa/fulani/benin And Others / [VIDEO]: "Masquerade Comes Out Of The Ground In Nigeria" / Videos And Sounds of People Speaking Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.