Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,757 members, 7,820,630 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:34 PM

Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report (2938 Views)

Our Presidential Candidate Will Be Voted By All Party Members – PDP / Saraki Hosts A Parliamentary Delegation From Colombia (Photos) / Nigeria - A Failing State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by georgecso(m): 7:40am On Apr 24, 2009
Press Release-22 April 2009: The people of Nigeria are suffering due to a lack of leadership from within the country and from amongst Nigeria’s international partners. As a result, the dangers from corruption and mismanagement are growing, causing concern for the coming 2011 elections. These are the principal findings of an investigation from a group of British lawmakers in the most recent report of the influential British All Party Parliamentary Group on Nigeria.

“Nigeria has an array of challenges to overcome: problems of accountability and transparency, human rights violations, a flagging power sector, political manipulation creating conflict, an economy dominated by oil. Nigeria hopes to be among the top twenty world economies by 2020 but this will not happen unless its leadership – at all levels, including federal, state and local government and civil society leaders – becomes organised and takes direct responsibility for the people, ” warns the report.

It is for this reason that Nigeria needs credible elections to take place in 2011. Elections are key to achieving democratic accountability: good elections in Nigeria are essential to start shifting government accountability from oil revenues to the people. The report recommends that electoral reforms are implemented and voter registration begins now. The APPG believes that enabling the people to engage in the politics of their country is key to battling corruption in Nigeria. The report notes: “The country and any hope of reform or moving forward are undermined if the government lacks legitimacy in the eyes of the people.”

Opinion

embarassed sad

Source:http://www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2574:british-all-party-parliamentary-group-on-nigeria-slams-nigerian-leaders&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by blacksta(m): 7:57am On Apr 24, 2009
Bring back the colonial master cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by FBS: 7:59am On Apr 24, 2009
georgecso:

Press Release-22 April 2009: The people of Nigeria are suffering due to a lack of leadership from within the country and from amongst Nigeria’s international partners. As a result, the dangers from corruption and mismanagement are growing, causing concern for the coming 2011 elections. These are the principal findings of an investigation from a group of British lawmakers in the most recent report of the influential British All Party Parliamentary Group on Nigeria.
as if we dont know this.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by georgecso(m): 8:00am On Apr 24, 2009
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by Ilelobola: 1:51pm On Apr 24, 2009
Whilst I agree with their restating the obvious, perhaps this Parliamentary Group could also look inward at British MPs and how they reward themselves with 2nd home allowances and pay rises at the expense of tax payers. Sure they would do exactly the same as our leaders if they could get away with it.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by georgecso(m): 2:28pm On Apr 24, 2009
Our own MPs are equally enjoying tax payers money and cruising on bullet proof cars yet, the social infrastructures are in total state of collapse.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by blacksta(m): 2:42pm On Apr 24, 2009
Ilelobola:

Whilst I agree with their restating the obvious, perhaps this Parliamentary Group could also look inward at British MPs and how they reward themselves with 2nd home allowances and pay rises at the expense of tax payers. Sure they would do exactly the same as our leaders if they could get away with it.

You have no right to compare this instance with what happening back in Nigeria. Everything that the u.k Mps do, is in the confinement of the Law. I am sure you are aware that ab expenses reform is in progress. Please try and be clear not every MP claims this 2nd home allowance. This is my issue with people like you. You will never accept when an external body identifies ongoing issues which all of us have failed woefully to confront. you never know maybe the british government might help us do something about our dire situation as we all still waiting for God to do something.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by georgecso(m): 2:51pm On Apr 24, 2009
You have no right to compare this instance with what happening back in Nigeria. Everything that the u.k Mps do, is in the confinement of the Law. I am sure you are aware that ab expenses reform is in progress. Please try and be clear not every MP claims this 2nd home allowance. This is my issue with people like you. You will never accept when an external body identifies ongoing issues which all of us have failed woefully to confront. you never know maybe the british government might help us do something about our dire situation as we all still waiting for God to do something.

@ Blacksta
Bros tell them abeg.

"Put your house in order no mean say leave the house for me"- Local Adage
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by ElRazur: 2:59pm On Apr 24, 2009
Nice one Blacksta, you just save me from typing another lengthy post. smiley

Comparing UK's mp to Nigeria government is comparing a table and an orange. There is no similarity whatsoever.

This report maybe stating the obvious, but then again it is obvious that our leaders are perpetually deaf and our fellow nigerian citizen clearly lacks the sight to see.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by Ilelobola: 3:08pm On Apr 24, 2009
blacksta:

Very funny. So tell me who amongst them doesn't claim it or has refused the pay rise. Yes they are looking at doing away with it but  replacing it with Attendance Allowance. Ha, that's much better, pay me on top of my salary to come into work, nonsense. Well done to them for doing it within the law, they write the law, ensuring they are sorted out.

Keep waiting for the British government to come and help us? U think the UK or any of the other Giant nations want others to stop depending on them? I don't think so. No one is going to help us, until we start helping ourselves.

And where did I reject what they've said in their report? It certainly doesn't tell us anything we don't know or that's not obvious to anyone who tries to study Nigerian politics/economy. My point is, remove the plank in your eye first.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by tombola: 3:10pm On Apr 24, 2009
again, these diasporians out to rubbish Nigeria once again - foolish fools. A group of fools compile a report out to rubbish your country and you are out here singing their praises, what manner of people are these diasporians?
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by ElRazur: 3:12pm On Apr 24, 2009
Ilelobola:

Very funny. So tell me who amongst them doesn't claim it or has refused the pay rise. Yes they are looking at doing away with it but  replacing it with Attendance Allowance. Ha, that's much better, pay me on top of my salary to come into work, nonsense. Well done to them for doing it within the law, they write the law, ensuring they are sorted out.

Keep waiting for the British government to come and help us? U think the UK or any of the other Giant nations want others to stop depending on them? I don't think so. No one is going to help us, until we start helping ourselves.

And where did I reject what they've said in their report? It certainly doesn't tell us anything we don't know or that's not obvious to anyone who tries to study Nigerian politics/economy. My point is, remove the plank in your eye first.

You seem to have misconstrued the news regarding that. It is a proposal and not a "full replacement" if I remember correctly.

The statement about the colonial master coming back comes as a joke or "tongue in cheek" to me. I am sure it was meant like that.

See my previous post on your last paragraph. smiley
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by toshacer: 3:14pm On Apr 24, 2009
Dont mind them @Tombola

A bunch of nin compoops write jargons on the internet and some non entity people come here to discuss it as if it is worth the time and trouble.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by ElRazur: 3:17pm On Apr 24, 2009
tombola:

again, these diasporians out to rubbish Nigeria once again - foolish fools. A group of fools compile a report out to rubbish your country and you are out here singing their praises, what manner of people are these diasporians?

That do make you sound like you are bitter you know.

No one have rubbished your "beloved country" that I have seen. I think one of the biggest problem is how our people have a mentality of inability to take on board constructive criticism. Nothing wrong with pointing the obvious that our nation is bad, in fact, in a very bad state in some areas.

The thing people do not understand is that these so called "Diasporans" have seen how things work in other places, and just wish things will work too from where they come from hence the criticism. If anything, any one abroad who criticises Nigeria, really wants the best for Nigeria. The problem is that Nigeria refuses to take on board the criticism and hence it becomes a vicious cycle.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by Ilelobola: 3:19pm On Apr 24, 2009
ElRazur:

You seem to have misconstrued the news regarding that. It is a proposal and not a "full replacement" if I remember correctly.

The statement about the colonial master coming back comes as a joke or "tongue in cheek" to me. I am sure it was meant like that.

See my previous post on your last paragraph. smiley

Might not have used the right words, it's still a proposal but the 2nd home + exepenses allowance and payrise remains in place whilst they think up an alternative which excludes scrapping it without a replacement. So either way they win.

Didn't see the the colonial master coming back as anything more than that.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by ElRazur: 3:20pm On Apr 24, 2009
tosh_acer:

Dont mind them @Tombola

A bunch of nin compoops write jargons on the internet and some non entity people come here to discuss it as if it is worth the time and trouble.

It is very ironic coming from you. The irony is that you are here discussing it too. smiley Perhaps if you stayed away from the thread, your point may have stand, I rest my case.

Why do we hate constructive criticism so much? How hard is it for us as a nation to take these criticism on board and put it to good use? That way we shut the critics up, but no, we aint doing nothing and hence we give them more ammo. It is a simple logic really.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by toshacer: 3:21pm On Apr 24, 2009
ELRazur

Many people who live in Nigeria have travelled far wider and to more sophisticated places on this earth and yet they take it easy in criticising - what is contructive in all the topics and write ups i have read and i am reading on Nairaand, especially this one?
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by tombola: 3:22pm On Apr 24, 2009
Tell them TOSH.

What is the meaning of contructive criticism?
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by ElRazur: 3:24pm On Apr 24, 2009
Ilelobola:

Might not have used the right words, it's still a proposal but the 2nd home + exepenses allowance and payrise remains in place whilst they think up an alternative which excludes scrapping it without a replacement. So either way they win.

Didn't see the the colonial master coming back as anything more than that.

Remember my point about how our citizens are too blind to see? [Nigerians am referring to here]. On comparison, the people here can see like you have, imagine millions more who have seen that. These people will use their votes and put the current govt out in the coming elections, mark my words. smiley I for once won't be voting for them.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by toshacer: 3:26pm On Apr 24, 2009
Restating the obvios and tainting it with lies to make it look like criticism is nothing but making fool of the heart of the writer - ok, the Group Report came out, what is debatable about it? what is new about what has ben said in their, what is the point re stating the obvious over and over and over again? it beats me hollow!
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by ElRazur: 3:28pm On Apr 24, 2009
tosh_acer:

ELRazur

Many people who live in Nigeria have travelled far wider and to more sophisticated places on this earth and yet they take it easy in criticising - what is contructive in all the topics and write ups i have read and i am reading on Nairaand, especially this one?

Yes people have travelled far and wide, yet we haven't seen much impact as a result in over 40years.

The reports highlights that we have bad leadership etc. All those things highlighted should be taken into account and we work on them. It is as simple as that.

tombola:

Tell them TOSH.

What is the meaning of contructive criticism?

You really do not know? Surely, I thought it is obvious, any how, here is a link for you to read.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-constructive-criticism.htm

Constructive criticism is criticism kindly meant that has a goal of improving some area of another’s person’s life or work. Often constructive criticism refers specifically to the critique of someone else’s written or artistic work, in perhaps a teacher/student setting, that would allow that person to further improve the work or to improve their approach to future endeavors. However, constructive criticism can also apply to a critical reasoned analysis of a person’s behavior, as in a patient/therapist setting or a group therapy setting. Parents also try to employ constructive criticism to help their children improve their lives.

Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by ElRazur: 3:32pm On Apr 24, 2009
tosh_acer:

Restating the obvios and tainting it with lies to make it look like criticism is nothing but making fool of the heart of the writer - ok, the Group Report came out, what is debatable about it? what is new about what has ben said in their, what is the point re stating the obvious over and over and over again? it beats me hollow!

I addressed that with my post.

The people who runs our country are TOO DEAF and hence the continuous criticism. Eventually, there will be a new generation of those willing to take on board criticism and make improvements.

If we are been told the obvious all the time, don't that highlights or show our we are afraid of change or can make things better perhaps even our lives depended on it?

Finally, what lies are present in this report? You seem to agree it is the truth [as you agreed it is the obvious]
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by Kobojunkie: 3:37pm On Apr 24, 2009
ElRazur:

Finally, what lies are present in this report? You seem to agree it is the truth [as you agreed it is the obvious]    

I am all eyes shocked . . . waiting to read the response here!!! roflmao!!!
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by georgecso(m): 3:38pm On Apr 24, 2009
Why do we hate constructive criticism so much? How hard is it for us as a nation to take these criticism on board and put it to good use? That way we shut the critics up, but no, we aint doing nothing and hence we give them more ammo. It is a simple logic really.

I don't why we hate constructive criticism. It was evidently clear that a country big as Nigeria, blessed with a population of 140million, 6th Largest producer of Crude oil was no where to be found in G20. It was only South Africa that attended the meeting. Nigeria would have been a major player in global events but we 've been relegated due to bad leadership and corruption.

This report is simply to awaken us from our deep slumber may be Nigeria would end up attending G30 (that is if there would be something like that)
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by ElRazur: 3:42pm On Apr 24, 2009
@georgecso

The inability to take on board criticism holds people back from improving and it appears we haven't learn this yet.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by Kobojunkie: 3:48pm On Apr 24, 2009
georgecso:

I don't know why we hate constructive criticism. . .

This report is simply to awaken us from our deep slumber may be Nigeria would end up attending G30 (that is if there would be something like that)

Wait, why tell him?
@Tosh_acer, We Nigerians, in the majority, HATE crictism of any kind, but have chosen to continue to REDEFINE words and terms in order to appease our emotions. I wait for the dsay you will understand that what you label constructive criticism is not. It is as ridiculous as the call to PROFFER SOLUTIONS every time a person points out a problem as. if we are imbeciles of some sort. Worse, when obvious solutions are made known, we attack with ridiculous excuses for why we should not apply them.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by ElRazur: 4:05pm On Apr 24, 2009
@Kobojunkie I see what you mean and yeah it makes sense. As a result I am posting this to help such people.

How Can I Learn to Accept Constructive Criticism?

[b]The ability to accept constructive criticism comes very easily to some people, while others have a difficult time processing any comments that touch on the abilities or competence of the individual. Still, learning to accept suggestions that are intended to improve performance in some aspect of our lives can be the first step in becoming a better person. Here are a few things to keep in mind about the nature of constructive criticism and how to become more comfortable with receiving and processing this form of personal critique.

One of the first steps in accepting suggestions for improvement is to remove emotions from the equation. This may be difficult to accomplish, the but effort is well worth the results. By not allowing our sense of ego or our tender feelings to stand in the way of objectively considering the comments concerning our behavior, we open the door to possibly accept constructive criticism and learn something that will help improve the quality of our lives.

Second, it is important to recognize that the person offering the criticism is doing so in an effort to help, not hurt. Choosing to see the remarks in this light makes it easier to see the critic as an ally, rather than a foe. Ultimately, both of you have the same goal in mind, which is to help you become even better at something than you already are. When you can accept constructive criticism as a tool for improvement offered by a friendly source, you go a long way toward achieving personal growth.

Last, defuse any seemingly harsh comments by asking for clarification from the critic. The fact is that most of us sometimes have trouble choosing the right words. If something your critic states does not seem to have merit, ask for examples of your behavior that illustrate the point he or she is trying to make. This exercise will help you understand how your actions are perceived, and also present the chance for both of you to examine a real life situation and explore together how that event could have been handled in a more productive manner.

Accepting constructive criticism is important for just about everyone. Whether in the workplace, in the community, or even in the home, the ability to receive and accept constructive criticism can have a positive impact on our relationships. By remaining objective, asking clarifying questions, and seeing your critic as your ally, it is possible to learn to accept constructive criticism in the spirit that was intended. [/b]

Hopefully people will read this and see where some of us are coming from at least.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by ElRazur: 4:12pm On Apr 24, 2009
@Kobojunkie I see what you mean and yeah it makes sense. As a result I am posting this to help such people.

[b]The ability to accept constructive criticism comes very easily to some people, while others have a difficult time processing any comments that touch on the abilities or competence of the individual. Still, learning to accept suggestions that are intended to improve performance in some aspect of our lives can be the first step in becoming a better person. Here are a few things to keep in mind about the nature of constructive criticism and how to become more comfortable with receiving and processing this form of personal critique.

One of the first steps in accepting suggestions for improvement is to remove emotions from the equation. This may be difficult to accomplish, the but effort is well worth the results. By not allowing our sense of ego or our tender feelings to stand in the way of objectively considering the comments concerning our behavior, we open the door to possibly accept constructive criticism and learn something that will help improve the quality of our lives.

Second, it is important to recognize that the person offering the criticism is doing so in an effort to help, not hurt. Choosing to see the remarks in this light makes it easier to see the critic as an ally, rather than a foe. Ultimately, both of you have the same goal in mind, which is to help you become even better at something than you already are. When you can accept constructive criticism as a tool for improvement offered by a friendly source, you go a long way toward achieving personal growth.

Last, defuse any seemingly harsh comments by asking for clarification from the critic. The fact is that most of us sometimes have trouble choosing the right words. If something your critic states does not seem to have merit, ask for examples of your behavior that illustrate the point he or she is trying to make. This exercise will help you understand how your actions are perceived, and also present the chance for both of you to examine a real life situation and explore together how that event could have been handled in a more productive manner.

Accepting constructive criticism is important for just about everyone. Whether in the workplace, in the community, or even in the home, the ability to receive and accept constructive criticism can have a positive impact on our relationships. By remaining objective, asking clarifying questions, and seeing your critic as your ally, it is possible to learn to accept constructive criticism in the spirit that was intended. [/b]

Hopefully people will read this and see where some of us are coming from at least.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by MrCrackles(m): 4:15pm On Apr 24, 2009
It is indeed a failing state! sad
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by ElRazur: 4:15pm On Apr 24, 2009

Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by toshacer: 4:34pm On Apr 24, 2009
where are you coming from? You suddenly travelled and became the voice of the masses or what? many have gone, been there, and came back to assist the country, not stay put and become empty barrel critics.
Re: Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report by ElRazur: 4:36pm On Apr 24, 2009
tosh_acer:

where are you coming from? You suddenly travelled and became the voice of the masses or what? many have gone, been there, and came back to assist the country, not stay put and become empty barrel critics.

Is that directed at me? smiley I will post a reply if it is. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Eight Suspected Terrorists Intercepted In Yola / There Was A Plot To Impeach President Goodluck Jonathan / Boko Haram Burns Residences Of Speaker Of Yobe State House Of Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.