Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,026 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:54 PM

How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? (9130 Views)

Miraculous Way I Got A Job Without Connection!!! - Life Testimony / He Applied For A Job Without NYSC Discharge Certificate / My Miracle Job Without Connection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by fiena: 11:40am On Apr 24, 2009
can someone get a job without years of experience required by companies?
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by Onyinboy(m): 11:45am On Apr 24, 2009
Yes!But it is not common.For most Graduate jobs no experience is required ,but 4 professional jobs, some yrs of experience is always required. grin grin
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by dae(f): 5:05pm On Apr 24, 2009
Its ridiculous when sometimes i read about job vaccancies in naija and they request that an applicant must have 5-10yrs of experience, i wonder how recent graduates will find jobs. I hardly see anything less than 5yrs experience requirement, and they will be complaining that no jobs, when they keep the OLD people in there for too long and use the poor old people untill they kpeme, jeeeez!

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by kokoye(m): 5:14pm On Apr 24, 2009
At times we need to start from lower levels and work our way up. I know this is not a widely acceptable method (especially after obtaining multiple masters' degrees) but it is the simple and honest truth.

It is always easier to get a job while you have one.

So, if you have to, get an entry level position and your skill will be noticed and appreciated, or simply work your way up.

Take this advice from a living witness. My first job after NYSC paid 7000naira / month a new Internet company. In three months, I got a job in the same field that paid me 45000 naira / month. This way all because of the experience I'd gained from the previous job. This was way back in 1998.

Goodluck.
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by hassymo5(m): 6:00pm On Apr 24, 2009
I have a question for companies & organisation requesting for 5-10 yrs experience, who do u want 2 train & give experience 2 applicants b/4 u employ them, every thing start 4rm somewhere, finally employ dis applicants & u wil never regret it.
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by omoabike: 6:53pm On Apr 24, 2009
@kokoye. God bless you. I am a living example of what you just said. The only difference was that I learnt very late after spending more than 3 years at home without a job.
@poster
Most of what we know about getting a job is wrong and don’t work. If it does there would not be so many of us who are not working years after leaving school.
Like the Bible says, "Don’t despise the days of small beginnings"
Infact my own first paid job was about four years after my NYSC and after a year at the Shell training school in Warri.
This first job was in Computer Training in an Accounting Consulting firm though my background was in the geosciences
My first pay was =N= 15,000 per month and it was after that that I went to obtain a masters degree at a Nigerian university.
My next job was for a local company where my start pay was =N=50,000. You would not believe that I only spent about 11 months at this company before I got a job with a multinational oil servicing company who now hired me as an experienced geologist. I did not get this job through responding to an advert but through people I met through the course of my working at the local company.
This was 2 years ago and I am presently on a transfer to the United States with my family.
Why did I tell you this story, it is because I have been in the same situation where I questioned where one would get the 5-10 years experience most companies usually ask for to fill a vacant position. This is not peculiar to Naija; it is the same all over the world.
Now how can you get the experience? As someone who has not worked before.
The first thing is be ready to work for free in an industry that you would like to work in. Try and get introduced to people you know that are successful in this industry.
Ask them how they became successes in the industry; ask them to introduce you to contacts in the industry. This is what is called networking and not “man-no-man” as we used to call it.
Ask this your contact that you would be willing to learn at a working environment in this industry without pay. This would definitely stand you out from the millions who are out there waiting to write tests for a few scores of entry level positions. In the process you would learn how the industry works. I know this may be hard at first, but the first thing you need to do if you do not have another source of income at the moment is to have a frank talk with your parent or whoever is helping you out financially at the moment.
If you do not do this anyway they would still be giving you money while you would still continue to search for jobs so ask for their help for 6 months or a year at first.
If you are an accountant, volunteer at an audit firm, no matter how small, freelance if you are a mass communication graduate, if you are a lawyer do pro bono job for people in your neighborhood, just do something in addition to writing test and waiting for the results.
If this does not work, learn something new, or volunteer at an NGO.

What would this do to you? It would help you improve on your interpersonal skills, communication skills, and widen the network of people you know that can help you get jobs from those who are family and friends member to now include people who have seen how brilliant you are in doing your job as a professional.
  More than all of these this would help differentiate you from the thousand of  other graduates who are not taking charge of their destiny and still waiting on the almighty companies to hire them.

I wish you the best of luck in your job search.

Check out this website www.asktheheadhunter.com for some good tips about job search that would turn the way we know about getting jobs upside down.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by hoeyeadoe: 7:16pm On Apr 24, 2009
Volunteer 4 similar jobs instead of staying at home. That way you gain experience and add value to yurself.
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by candylips(m): 7:52pm On Apr 24, 2009
yes u can
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by royalicon(m): 7:59pm On Apr 24, 2009
The so called employee who demanded for years of experience are not believing in themselves, so they don't believe in other peoples ability. Go start something, even on your own and have a work experience.
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by kokoye(m): 8:36pm On Apr 24, 2009
The list goes on.

I have a relative who got his HND from Yabatech . . he got a job at a one room consulting firm while doing his PGD. He is now a manager with British American Tobacco.

I left the comfort of being a network engineer in Nigeria to do my masters here in the U.S. I did security work at night and went to school during the day. I could not get a job after school so I started doing customer service with several companies until I got into the one in my chosen career - one of the largest telecoms companies here.

By God's grace I am now a consultant with the same company - the only black man in the Knowledge Management team of 39.

I did not have to know anybody to get to this stage, and it wasnt all smooth as well. But keep ur eyes on the prize and you will get there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Apr 24, 2009
First and foremost, you can surely get job without experience. Almost all companies, especially banks and other organizations, have what is called Graduate Recruitment programme or Management trainee programme or put alternatively, looking for Fresh graduates, Fresh hires, Management trainees, Executive trainees, Graduate trainees and different nomenclatures. This is very common and is real. No experience is required there.

Similarly, as against what many people believe, with 2 years experience, you can get an experienced hire job that has a requirement of 5 years. Although some organizations are strict with this requirement, many organizations waive it i.e invite an applicant with 2 years experience for a job advertised as requiring 4 years experience. But the quality of the experience, richness of the CV, and your performance at the job interview have a lot to play here. If you have spent 3 years in Shell for example, and a job is advertised in say Oando where the minimum experience required is 5 years, given the quality of that 3 years experience(coming from a reputable organization with solid training programme), and you demonstrate your stuff in interview, you can clinch the job. The job I'm doing now requires experience of 3-5 years as contained in my Job description but I clinched the job, even though I had less than 1 year work experience when I joined.

So don't be scared of those prohibitive years of experience requirement!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by blacksta(m): 8:23am On Apr 25, 2009
kokoye:

The list goes on.

I have a relative who got his HND from Yabatech . . he got a job at a one room consulting firm while doing his PGD. He is now a manager with British American Tobacco.

I left the comfort of being a network engineer in Nigeria to do my masters here in the U.S. I did security work at night and went to school during the day. I could not get a job after school so I started doing customer service with several companies until I got into the one in my chosen career - one of the largest telecoms companies here.

By God's grace I am now a consultant with the same company - the only black man in the Knowledge Management team of 39.

I did not have to know anybody to get to this stage, and it wasnt all smooth as well. But keep ur eyes on the prize and you will get there.

lol

what do you mean that - i rather be in one room and earn millions that be large corporation that pay peanuts. I am sure you know or maybe you dont know, your friend got a job with BAT because she was working in a one room firm i am sure with better quality of work.
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by leye4u: 11:58am On Apr 25, 2009
Distributors wanted for fuel boosters that saves as much as 30 percent of your petrol and diesel consumption.Distributors wanted across the 36 states of the federation call 07026764118 or mail leye4u@yahoo.com
It saves fuel
Lubricates your engine
reduces smoke
Elongates the life span of your engine
Cleans your fuel delivery system
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by Dondav(m): 2:05pm On Apr 25, 2009
;% i need a job, someone should pls keep me posted. Even if its assasin.
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by frankkky: 5:06pm On Apr 25, 2009
@dondav, what! you want to be an assassin,seun i hope you are reading this
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by teeewai(m): 5:35pm On Apr 25, 2009
@assassin why on earth will u think dt way? while u can better ur life with dis offer

check me on www.getnaija..com
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by keba(m): 7:26pm On Apr 25, 2009
Organisations and Companies that advertise for experienced positions know what they are looking for. They are looking for experienced
people that can fill such positions from other companies and not graduates that have not been given the opportunity to show what stuff
they are made of. As said earlier, there are graduate trainee programs of various companies which do employ without experience but
very competitive too. Best of luck.
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by Amadise: 7:20am On Apr 26, 2009
Dis does not grant the new graduates the opportunity to apply. But we can as well close our eyes on the de number of yrs experience and try angry
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by Oshebaba: 1:13pm On Apr 26, 2009
Omoabike,
Your story and advice touched me. Your words "Try and get introduced to people you know that are successful in this industry". If you don't mind, I like to establish communication with you.
If you have time, please mail me on worry_not2006@yahoo.com.
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by decash(m): 5:40pm On Apr 26, 2009
@ omoabike,
Well, i don't really know how to thank you 4 that piece of information.
it is said that we shouldn't despise the little days of our beginning.
it's good to start somewhere even if u r not paid well or not paid at all.
go out 4 for it. get the experience and introduce urself to better oppurtunities.
Don't wait 4 the Mega job, it may not come. choowwwwwwwwww! kiss
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by Dondav(m): 8:19am On Apr 27, 2009
It sure isn't bad, but try my financial advice on http://dondavsonlt..com
or http://my.opera.com/dondavsonlt
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by odapo(m): 11:51am On Apr 27, 2009
Hey , There are millions of Jobs out there, in Nigeria. Most people will not like to do Sales, According to Robert Kiyosaki (Author of Rich Dad poor Dad) Most rich men are Sales men.

Meaning, walk up to a Coy, tell them u can help generate people's interest in their product, charge a commission per client you bring or sale generated. Meaning you can work for more than 5 companies at a time. Meaning one particular individual you come across can be a potential client for any of the 5 products u have for Grads, Hint: Look for products that people need , product that will sell it self,

For Example.

With the help of this little device, shown below, you will be able to connect the following electrical appliance to your Tiger Generator (I Better Pass My Neighbour)

1. Electric Iron
2. Water Kettle
3. Boiling Ring
4. Electric Hot Plate
5. Hair Dresser's hair dryer
6. Hand Dryer
7. Steriliation set for Barbers
8. Steriliation set for Baby feeder
9. Table Top Fridges (Both New and Tokunbo)
10. If it is LG Fridge, It will power most of the Fridges, include the double deckers (Not Deep Freezer)
11. Tonging machine

What is the Catch?, A Higher version is on the way,

The prototype has been Finalised, Tiger Gen will power DEEP FREEZERS and Airconditioners.

Call me if you want to make real money selling this product.

This might be the fastest way i know to make money.

Call urgently, : 07086458120, 07028454392

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by kokoye(m): 2:44pm On Apr 27, 2009
blacksta:

lol

what do you mean that - i rather be in one room and earn millions that be large corporation that pay peanuts. I am sure you know or maybe you dont know, your friend got a job with BAT because she was working in a one room firm i am sure with better quality of work.

No. The one room consulting firm was a one-man business that paid my cousin peanuts . . .less than 10000naira / per month - pls forget about the quality of work, cos there was none!. My cousin got the job cause he wanted to have a job and experience he could put on his resume . . and I'm sure he gave his best as well, despite the lack of quality.

My point is (in case you dont know) he could have turned down the one-room offer and might still be in the job search right now. At times, we need to get off our high horses.
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by Bigtee(m): 7:36am On Apr 28, 2009
If you have worked with recruitment agencies or consultants. Experience is "relative". Every organisation has their way of doing thing. The reason most organisation's want people with experience is to reduce the amount they'll spend on training "fresh" graduates.

With experience they believe you can adapt easily than a "fresh" graduate, is this true. Yes and No

Yes, sometimes it works
No, experienced hires are rare/scares so in the end they pouch or employ based on referral.

So if you don't have experience then think of getting a masters and do some internship.
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by FBS: 7:58am On Apr 29, 2009
start small and then grow big. Experience comes along the way.
Nothing good comes "that" easy.
Re: How To Get A Job Without Years Of Experience? by cremebrule: 5:20am On May 03, 2009
Kokoye, how did you get to the U.S.  Did you come on a working visa?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Federal Civil Service Commission Recruitment Goes Online / Job Opportunity In Ibadan,oyo State.65 Positions / FRSC Recruitment Form Is Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.