Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,384 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car (18216 Views)

7 Most Common Misconceptions About Fuel Efficiency / Ways To Improve Your Car’s Fuel Efficiency / Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by auhanson(m): 8:03pm On Oct 10, 2015
The intake valves and the heat from the engine can cause fuel sprayed from your injectors to dry up and create accumulated deposits on top of them. This deposits on top of the intake valves can then absorb incoming fuel and rob the engine of it power over time.

Another direct cause of lost of power in engines are accumulated deposits that occurs in the actual combustion chamber, when carbon deposits form as a byproduct of the air and fuel combustion reducing its efficiency. These deposit can travel to other areas of the engine and cause a lot of issues to your car, including hesitation and stalling if left unattended to especially in German cars coupled with bad fuel(non Premium fuel)

Therefore, it is necessary to always clean out your engine once in a while. Removing these engine deposit may include pouring some additives into you fuel tank;manually cleaning some parts of your engine such as :

1)fuel injectors and throttle bodies(Fuel injectors are so tiny that a clog of only tiny deposit can induce stalling, engine hesitation or loss of power)

2)Throttle bodies (You'll need to remove the emissions hoses, intake air hose, sensor wires and anything else connected to your car's air intake in order to clean this parts manually)

2)intake valves (Deposit here can cause hesitation and stalling)

3)Combustion chambers (deposits here can raise the octane requirement of the engine and even cause premature fuel detonation, making your car very inefficient that "chop you great fuel"wink

4) Your engine (Not all deposit in your engine are caught by your engine oil filter. If these particles become excessive, it can gummed up and form sludge and gunk which clean oil alone can't flush them out. But the chemicals used in an engine flush will be able to do these to stop further wear and tear allowing fresh oil to move through tiny crevices and crankcase of your engine)

An engine flush removes the gunk, which keeps the parts running smoothly. That in turn can make the engine more efficient, bringing the power and fuel efficiency closer to what the car had when it left the factory. In very old cars, however, the engine flush might clean these piston rings, valves, and other parts a little too well. Sometimes, the gunk acts as spackle in non-metallic parts like rubber seals that have cracked with age. Cleaning out the gunk exposes those cracks, and the weakness of those parts becomes apparent.

View this example of cheap/affordable but very effective engine flush. Please note that this is not Mercedes Benz nor any manufacturers standard , but it works. It worked for my 1994 Benz c180 and my 2004 ML 500 which i just did recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK33EHlk_M0

Additives will vary based on the type of engine, what they're cleaning and how often they should be used. Just make sure you follow the instructions properly.

4 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by auhanson(m): 8:11pm On Oct 10, 2015
I clean my air intake and my top cylinders but unfortunately i could not do any video to show these. I did this in a very cheap and local way that works great.

First of all in one of my cars, i use carb cleaner and spray at the air intake while leveling the rpm steadily at between 2000 and 3000 as i spray the almost half can of the carb cleaner. Then i later remove all the plugs and found a straw tube which i descended down the plug hold to the cylinder and equllay did about 2 mins spray to each of the 4 plug holes

In another i use distilled water to do same to the air intake to decarbonize the chamber, i felt increase in power after doing this. You may equally use seafoam to do this, but i like staying away from chemical products.

But the truth is that at every step of doing this i recorded some form of power gains. I'll bring some youtube video that demonstrate this later in this space..You may like to watch this youtube video: UPPER CYLINDER CLEANING ,GET THE CARBON OUT , CRC MOTOR TREATMENT !!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rLaJnmguYY

You could also watch this video on seafoam: http://diysrc.com/how-to-seafoam-your-cars-engine-to-clean-and-dissolve-carbon-buildup/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by auhanson(m): 8:17pm On Oct 10, 2015
I equally did full and complete engine flush to my Benz c180 and My 2005 ML500 and behold recorded tremendous power gains.
This goes to tell us that most of the cars on our roads loses a lot of power, especially when buying second hand from individuals who lack maintenance culture.

Little wonders why people complain of Benz C180 & BMW 318 being under-powered, but that you would be surprise , after you would have restored all their powers and gain almost all the horses. Needless to say that some cars are moving corpses.

2 Likes

Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by auhanson(m): 8:19pm On Oct 10, 2015
Similarly, you could gained tremendous power by and little horse with porting your cylinder head. Though these could be expensive and time consuming. To do these well, you may spend over eight hrs:

Cylinder Head 204 - Porting & Polishing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iejDWSQEsqI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMNFeToqzJU
Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by peterjero(m): 8:23pm On Oct 10, 2015
Thanks for the tip, how about getting xft for the fuel system as well. Is your c180 still with you because I have been following you.
Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by auhanson(m): 8:33pm On Oct 10, 2015
peterjero:
Thanks for the tip, how about getting xft for the fuel system as well. Is your c180 still with you because I have been following you.

Sure, that's a good one too i uses this everytime i top fuel, because i like my cars to be at top shape always. if i told you that sometimes i refilled my c180 just once in a month because of good economy , you may find it difficult to believe.

See my C180, my regular ride..i dont sell my Benz's

1 Like

Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by Nobody: 8:51pm On Oct 10, 2015
You spray carb cleaner into your plug holes? Or distilled water?
Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by auhanson(m): 9:02pm On Oct 10, 2015
angels09:
You spray carb cleaner into your plug holes? Or distilled water?

Nop, distilled water should not go in there but in the air intake to decarbonize the carbon deposits . Read it up again

Also i use carb cleaner in place of crc motor treatment as it is readily available

1 Like

Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by davo3286: 9:36pm On Oct 10, 2015
auhanson:
The intake valves and the heat from the engine can cause fuel sprayed from your injectors to dry up and create accumulated deposits on top of them. This deposits on top of the intake valves can then absorb incoming fuel and rob the engine of it power over time.

Another direct cause of lost of power in engines are accumulated deposits that occurs in the actual combustion chamber, when carbon deposits form as a byproduct of the air and fuel combustion reducing its efficiency. These deposit can travel to other areas of the engine and cause a lot of issues to your car, including hesitation and stalling if left unattended to especially in German cars coupled with bad fuel(non Premium fuel)

Therefore, it is necessary to always clean out your engine once in a while. Removing these engine deposit may include pouring some additives into you fuel tank;manually cleaning some parts of your engine such as :

1)fuel injectors and throttle bodies(Fuel injectors are so tiny that a clog of only tiny deposit can induce stalling, engine hesitation or loss of power)

2)Throttle bodies (You'll need to remove the emissions hoses, intake air hose, sensor wires and anything else connected to your car's air intake in order to clean this parts manually)

2)intake valves (Deposit here can cause hesitation and stalling)

3)Combustion chambers (deposits here can raise the octane requirement of the engine and even cause premature fuel detonation, making your car very inefficient that "chop you great fuel"wink

4) Your engine (Not all deposit in your engine are caught by your engine oil filter. If these particles become excessive, it can gummed up and form sludge and gunk which clean oil alone can't flush them out. But the chemicals used in an engine flush will be able to do these to stop further wear and tear allowing fresh oil to move through tiny crevices and crankcase of your engine)

An engine flush removes the gunk, which keeps the parts running smoothly. That in turn can make the engine more efficient, bringing the power and fuel efficiency closer to what the car had when it left the factory. In very old cars, however, the engine flush might clean these piston rings, valves, and other parts a little too well. Sometimes, the gunk acts as spackle in non-metallic parts like rubber seals that have cracked with age. Cleaning out the gunk exposes those cracks, and the weakness of those parts becomes apparent.

View this example of cheap/affordable but very effective engine flush. Please note that this is not Mercedes Benz nor any manufacturers standard , but it works. It worked for my 1994 Benz c180 and my 2005 ML 500 which i just did recently.

Additives will vary based on the type of engine, what they're cleaning and how often they should be used. Just make sure you follow the instructions properly.

What is that fluid used in the the video?
Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by auhanson(m): 9:50pm On Oct 10, 2015
davo3286:

What is that fluid used in the the video?

That is diesel fuel

2 Likes

Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by davo3286: 9:59pm On Oct 10, 2015
auhanson:

That is diesel fuel

As in, the normal diesel that we all know?
Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by auhanson(m): 10:03pm On Oct 10, 2015
davo3286:

As in, the normal diesel that we all know?

Sure! You could use either diesel or kerosine, but i prefer diesel because it has some great lubricants in it. Either ways work.

But note of warning, do not load the car while doing this, only idle it to run for like 3 mins . I repeat, dont rev the car, start the ignition and leave it to idle for 3 mins. Before you did this make sure you started the car initially to round up(to reach operational temperature) then put it off before you began this process after you would have drained out the original engine oil.

First of all , close the drained pipe of your engine oil after you would have drained out all the engine oil. Pour in to you empty engine equivalent amount of diesel or more than your normal gauge. Start the ignition and idle for like 3 mins, and stop the ignition and drained out the dirty diesel. Close the waste pipe again , and pour another gallon of diesel into your engine and idle again for another 3 mins, drain out the diesel completely and remove the oil filter. Then pour in fresh oil and filter, there you are.

3 Likes

Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by prudencesmart(m): 10:41pm On Oct 10, 2015
Wonderful! No more engine swap/overhauling in Naija. Naija is really growing to my amazement.
Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by auhanson(m): 11:22pm On Oct 10, 2015
contd..

5) Air filter(A clog up air filter could cause poor engine performance and rough idle)

Your air filter should be replace after every 3000 to 6000 miles depending on driving conditions and nature of environment for Japanese cars and 10,000 to 15,000 miles for Mercedes Benz 7 some Germans/European cars , depending on driving conditions too and nature of your environment.

To determine if it is time to replace your air filter , after losening for the air cleaner housing, gently tap the filter, if you see multiude of dust fallen from it just know that it is time for the cleaner replacement. You could just blow it and use for the main time untill such a time you will need to replace it. It is adviceable to replace with good quality same size of air filter. Reasons for this is obvious, since dust goes through here via you your air hose to your air intake and contaminate your engine causing poor engine performance and rough idle.

I actually dusted mine thoroughly with blower pending when i shall be getting a good quality performance type to install.

1 Like

Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by auhanson(m): 6:23pm On Oct 11, 2015
6) Fuel filter (A fuel filter is used to keep fuel clean to avoid malfunctions of the fuel injectors and fuel pressure regulator.)

Fuel filter must be replaced periodically to prolong the life of your fuel pump, injectors and fuel pressure regulator. Bad fuel filter could cause a lot of problems including, poor throttle response, hesitation, spurting and hissing as the fuel pump does too much work to send the fuel pressure to the injectors/nuzzles therefore resulting in poor car performance. In worst cases the car may off occasionally while in hold ups.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by davo3286: 7:48am On Oct 12, 2015
auhanson:

Sure! You could use either diesel or kerosine, but i prefer diesel because it has some great lubricants in it. Either ways work.

But note of warning, do not load the car while doing this, only idle it to run for like 3 mins . I repeat, dont rev the car, start the ignition and leave it to idle for 3 mins. Before you did this make sure you started the car initially to round up(to reach operational temperature) then put it off before you began this process after you would have drained out the original engine oil.

First of all , close the drained pipe of your engine oil after you would have drained out all the engine oil. Pour in to you empty engine equivalent amount of diesel or more than your normal gauge. Start the ignition and idle for like 3 mins, and stop the ignition and drained out the dirty diesel. Close the waste pipe again , and pour another gallon of diesel into your engine and idle again for another 3 mins, drain out the diesel completely and remove the oil filter. Then pour in fresh oil and filter, there you are.

Thanks a lot. But, could you, kindly explain the effect or otherwise this action would have on the overall performance of the car engine, please?
Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by auhanson(m): 12:35pm On Oct 12, 2015
davo3286:

Thanks a lot. But, could you, kindly explain the effect or otherwise this action would have on the overall performance of the car engine, please?

You are welcome

Just like i said earlier on, Internal combustion engines are workhorses. You could drive them across countries, you could use them to generate electricity for homes just like your generator set.By doing these, they accumulate some dirt in a single day and lots more. So it's unfortunate that the same thing that makes them work so well, combustion, brings with it something that can eventually hurt the engine called engine deposits.
Deposits can be caused by several different reactions inside the engine, which could accumulate so badly that it could gummed up and form sludge that may even result in gunk that your new oil change may not be able to flush. These gunk would then restrict the free flow of oil to tiny crevixes and crankcase area of your engine, which could result in wear and tear in her worse case, and serious lost of power and underperformance that on the long run could even result to eventual engine swap, you can go on and on...

So this mentioned engine flush help removes these deposits and gunk from your engine and make oil flow well and do the work they are suppose to do, resulting in better performance and fuel efficiency. If done properly, could even return your overall car performance near to when you got it from the factory.

It is no news that some of the cars we bought may have lost more than 50 percent of their horsepower, some from very long periods of oil change neglect/poor oil viscosity usage etc etc, such that even if you do clean oil change , the engine eventually turn black at no time, such a car needs an engine flush to restore back her back to normal and to restore almost all her lost power etc. The truth remains that any little clean up you do to your internal combustion engine, always result in power gain; whether be it cleaning of plugs ;throttle body; nuzzles or the air intake/combustion chamber and the overall flushing of the engine will always restore tremendous power to your car, it will always result to better horsepower and efficiency. Issues like hesitation, stalling and spurting will always be a thing of the past....
But it could also damage your car if you don't keep to the rules that are over emphasize here.

The damage could be in the sense that if the car is a very old one, non metallic parts such as the rubber seals that have cracked with age but kept on by the gunk or sludge could be cleaned out and expose those cracks making it more apparent too as it cleans your pistons rings , valves and other parts etc.

I have done this with a 94 Benz, 89 Benz , and 2000 plus Benz, no seal was broken, nor any oil leaked. Just follow the instruction.

2 Likes

Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by davo3286: 2:03pm On Oct 12, 2015
auhanson:

You are welcome

Just like i said earlier on, Internal combustion engines are workhorses. You could drive them across countries, you could use them to generate electricity for homes just like your generator set.By doing these, they accumulate some dirt in a single day and lots more. So it's unfortunate that the same thing that makes them work so well, combustion, brings with it something that can eventually hurt the engine called engine deposits.
Deposits can be caused by several different reactions inside the engine, which could accumulate so badly that it could gummed up and form sludge that may even result in gunk that your new oil change may not be able to flush. These gunk would then restrict the free flow of oil to tiny crevixes and crankcase area of your engine, which could result in wear and tear in her worse case, and serious lost of power and underperformance that on the long run could even result to eventual engine swap, you can go on and on...

So this mentioned engine flush help removes these deposits and gunk from your engine and make oil flow well and do the work they are suppose to do resulting in better performance and fuel efficiency. If done properly could even return your overall car performance near to when you got it from the factory.

It is no news that some of the cars we bought may have lost more than 50 percent of their horsepower, some form very long periods of oil change neglect/poor oil viscosity usage etc etc, such that even if you do clean oil change , the engine eventually turn black at no time, such a car needs an engine flush to restore back her back to normal and to restore almost all her lost power etc. The truth remains that any little clean up you do to your internal combustion engine, always result in power gain; whether be it cleaning of plugs ;throttle body; nuzzles or the air intake/combustion chamber and the overall flushing of the engine will always restore tremendous power to your car, it will always result to better horsepower and efficiency. Issues like hesitation, stalling and spurting will always be a thing of the past....
But it could also damage your car if you don't keep to the rules that are over emphasize here.

The damage could be in the sense that if the car is a very old one, non metallic parts such as the rubber seals that have cracked with age but kept on by the gunk or sludge could be cleaned out and expose those cracks making it more apparent too as it cleans your pistons rings , valves and other parts etc.

I have done this with a 94 Benz, 89 Benz , and 2000 plus Benz, no seal was broken, nor any oil leaked. Just follow the instruction.

Thanks you once again.

2 Likes

Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by oNj(m): 4:07pm On Oct 12, 2015
Be careful with some of these recommendations before you damage your engine, or create problems for yourself.
1. Engine flushing is a questionable practice, many tech actually against it (http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/flushservices.html).
2. No one goes just to change oil filter; Oil filter change goes with oil replacement.
3. Again, no one goes changing fuel filter just to gain more power/performance, except there's a fuel-line related issue with the car.... The recommendation is to change fuel filter while changing fuel pump.
Good lucks

Enjoy your ride

1 Like

Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by benzmatic: 5:09am On Oct 13, 2015
hi Auhanson, been looking for you everywhere. Pls can I get your contact details. I need to ask you a question. I'm on whatsapp 08038717534. Thanks.
Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by auhanson(m): 10:56am On Oct 13, 2015
benzmatic:
hi Auhanson, been looking for you everywhere. Pls can I get your contact details. I need to ask you a question. I'm on whatsapp 08038717534. Thanks.

Ok Dude, you could have send me a PM. I've just sent you one. Cheers!!
Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by prudencesmart(m): 11:45am On Oct 13, 2015
oNj:
Be careful with some of these recommendations before you damage your engine, or create problems for yourself.
1. Engine flushing is a questionable practice, many tech actually against it (http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/flushservices.html).
2. No one goes just to change oil filter; Oil filter change goes with oil replacement.
3. Again, no one goes changing fuel filter just to gain more power/performance, except there's a fuel-line related issue with the car.... The recommendation is to change fuel filter while changing fuel pump.
Good lucks

Enjoy your ride

I didnt see where he mentioned going to change just oil nor fuel filter but "air filter" for the air cleaner. But then, it is good practice to be changing your fuel filter periodically if you aint sure of the kind of fuel you buy, as some gas stations may have impurities in them.

Engine flushing has a lot of advantages, if you do it well , especially in engines that has those symptoms he mentioned above, engines where oil change may have been neglected. Also, when you bought an old car but are not sure of the maintenance history. Perhaps too, in engine that every fresh oil change get dirty in no time as he stated.

These are wonderful practice most especially for German and European cars and formular one cars whose performances have fallen below the thresh hold. Unfortunate, there i always a critique in any thing in life and such is welcome. i have gone through the youtube link he gave and have seen a lot of critique there. i have also seen a lot of salvage situation too by his recommendations. Noted ones are these, "estrelladelnorte1308 2 years ago
' i been doing this on my 2004 truck , i bought it new, i started at 36 tousand miles (after warranty expired) i do it evey 9 tousand miles ( three oil changes) odometer is at 179K truck doesnt leak ,burn or smokes at all, at ever flush i get my 4 quarts of used oil back ,truck runs good as always starts perfect at -20F or 100F , but i dont run full diesel i use 2 quarts of my used oil and two quarts of diesel for my flush ,i let it idle for 20 minutes with that ,flush and refill with new oil.'

'When I was 16, my family moved from Washington State down to Texas, driving a 62 Chevy truck pulling a trailer and a Ford Truck. The Chevy, a six cylinder inline, developed a stuck valve, and two "good ol boys" in a filling station way out in the middle of nowhere used this technique to flush the engine and un-stick the valve. It worked great, and the engine ran well for the next two years. I would not increase the RPM. Listen carefully to the engine. At the first sign of trouble, stop.' " and lots more

I own a sweet looking Benz Cls that started losing some kind of power, throttle respond wasn't as it use to be. At first when i read this, i was very happy that i've got solution to my problem , but was somehow skeptical, 'disel in my Benz engine?' oh no! no! no!. But when i finally decided and did it, after having understudied his recommendations.. . Mehn! now my cls has got back her original responses and feels sharper. I'm gonna do same to ma mums w202 Benz. If your engine eventually develop any issue at the process, then it has got the issues already, but this process only made it apparent.

However, for Japanese cars and other substandard engines, there is a question mark there.

1 Like

Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by auhanson(m): 12:37pm On Oct 13, 2015
prudencesmart:

However, for Japanese cars and other substandard engines, there is a question mark there.

That is where we know the first born, where the bean is selected from the shaft. Good afternoon Dude. Longest time?
Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by prudencesmart(m): 12:43pm On Oct 13, 2015
auhanson:

That is where we know the first born, where the bean is selected from the shaft. Good afternoon Dude. Longest time?

Greetings man! Thanks for the revelation. Some pro may have known this, but they kept to themselves , thanks for your generosity. The good Lord will make men generous to you in all your endeavor.

I would have gone again to spend hard earn bucks at service centre, when some cheap but very effective solutions have been waiting here.
Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by auhanson(m): 1:00pm On Oct 13, 2015
prudencesmart:

Greetings man! Thanks for the revelation. Some pro may have known this, but they kept to themselves , thanks for your generosity. The good Lord will make men generous to you in all your endeavor.

I would have gone again to spend hard earn bucks at service centre, when some cheap but very effective solutions have been waiting here.

No worries bro, i first heard this from Smart Choice some months back, He actually mentioned Siena..I had to go on intensive research of these and was always knock off by some critiques, but later was convinced by some powerful testimonies just like the ones you posted out there. Also, in my own testimony-my little c180 was becoming obvious in her power and responses, so i almost got mad and was very much concern.
Infact, i went extra miles wanting to do some mods as in replacing the exhaust with that of c200, installing K & N filter , and ordering of Merceded Benz performance chip abroad-not until this process saves me all that headache. I even had to pick an ML 500 4matic, just for power and bad road, as i couldn't readily see the AMG version. Mehn! that car has great torque, non like it..absolutely no regret. Here too the economy became excellent after the flush and other clean up, its unbelievable an 8 cylinder engine in terms of economy.
Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by auhanson(m): 3:21pm On Oct 24, 2015
GETTING AS MUCH FROM YOUR COLD AIR INTAKE FOR PERFORMANCE

..Got me curious this morning, so i decided to further squeeze out any left over horses from my c180 4 cylinder engine. Behold it worked.

Instead of spending some tangible bucks for performance air filter, like K and N air filter, i decided to remove my air filter and modify that unit for free flow of air into the air intake while still maintaining a very good level of filtering to filter out dust and other particles. Though there was no dynamo to test if i gained any extra horses , but the fill of my throttle and acceleration proved that right. I believe i would have gained extra 7 or more horeses, as extra air could mix with fuel to accelerate the machine faster.

This is what i did, see picture below:
I first open my pvc/air cleaner compartment and removed the clogged air filter to leave that compartment with no restriction for free flow of air.
I then install a net(very tiny pores net) with double rubber band inside the pvc that leaves the air cleaner chamber to hold it in place.
I install another net at the PVC that terminate at the PVC that leads to the throttle body.
I then remove the outer part of the PVC restriction hoes that actually sucks air from the outside and replace a cotton material there with the use of triple strong rubber band to prevent the tiniest dust from filtering into the chamber, that is after i would have spray the inner wall of the air cleaner chamber with some oily substance to trap down any dust that would have escape by magic or otherwise into this chamber.

I took out the ride for a test , and behold it felt better than it was actually before. Real HP were gained. Its not hard to notice gains and loses in horsepower from a 4 cylinder engine, if you usually took her to her limit.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by auhanson(m): 3:41pm On Oct 24, 2015

1 Like

Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by auhanson(m): 3:57pm On Oct 24, 2015
You could as well go the pro way as indicated below, by removing the complete pvc system and replace with the after market pro type. But in my case, that wasn't necessary because Benz air intake system is already almost excellent and may not need such modifications to gain any extra horses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwNtjKT_1cA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5ujAOLyBVk

1 Like

Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by Nobody: 1:37pm On Oct 25, 2015
auhanson:
I clean my air intake and my top cylinders but unfortunately i could not do any video to show these. I did this in a very cheap and local way that works great.

First of all in one of my cars, i use carb cleaner and spray at the air intake while leveling the rpm steadily at between 2000 and 3000 as i spray the almost half can of the carb cleaner. Then i later remove all the plugs and found a straw tube which i descended down the plug hold to the cylinder and equllay did about 2 mins spray to each of the 4 plug holes

In another i use distilled water to do same to the air intake to decarbonize the chamber, i felt increase in power after doing this. You may equally use seafoam to do this, but i like staying away from chemical products.

But the truth is that at every step of doing this i recorded some form of power gains. I'll bring some youtube video that demonstrate this later in this space..You may like to watch this youtube video: UPPER CYLINDER CLEANING ,GET THE CARBON OUT , CRC MOTOR TREATMENT !!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rLaJnmguYY

You could also watch this video on seafoam: http://diysrc.com/how-to-seafoam-your-cars-engine-to-clean-and-dissolve-carbon-buildup/

Let me make sure I read this correctly.

You intentionally washed down the bored of your cylinder with clean in spray and introduced water into your intake?
Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by auhanson(m): 9:46pm On Oct 25, 2015
Dont forget that you could equally introduce nitros there to boost performance just like turbo...So distilled water to decarbonize the system shouldn't cause any alarm. Just try it and you will be surprise at the after performance..pls don't expect too much from this, it only restores lost power.

How To Install NOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY25EjnH7K8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N-HSI6ls6E
Re: Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car by auhanson(m): 9:30am On Oct 29, 2015
Hello Guys, good morning to you all.

Just wish to inform you that this morning i had to replace my air filter back to the air cleaner after having cleaned it thoroughly. Reason, just noticed a little up, though insignificant in fuel consumption.

The power is good but i could have all that power with my ML 500 to flock around when needed, but for the c180 , it must be economy all the way especially in this season of gas unpredictability in Nigeria.

Cheers

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Delorean Diving Into The Future With Their Flying Car Concept (photos) / 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 / How To Properly Use The “baby On Board” Sign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.