Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,220 members, 7,829,365 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, (7884 Views)

Images That Perfectly Describe Living In Abuja!!!! / Easiest Western Country To Visit With Virgin Passport. / Are They Tired Or Lazy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by Truckpusher(m): 7:52pm On Oct 14, 2015
Pidggin:

Then when you get to your fifties, sixties and beyond, the basic amenities you mentioned may not appeal to you as much as the communal African spirit once again. You decide to relocate and build a house with the money you made while toiling in the West, but your Western trained children will not relocate with you, they will abandon you for the Western comfort which you also sort in your youth, they will adopt their individualistic culture and their lack of care for the elderly, and you may find yourself alone and full of regret, It's a vicious circle indeed.
Words on a marble.

2 Likes

Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by CassieV(f): 8:04pm On Oct 14, 2015
sexydivaomalich:

They are all from her post, not removed nor deleted, just a click on her past post / username you will see all she has posted. cool
Oh okay
Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by Nobody: 8:48pm On Oct 14, 2015
**modified**
Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by redcliff: 6:53am On Oct 15, 2015
Captainswag225:
o.p, how can u be bored living in a western country? A place where things are in order, a place where dreams can be achieved, a place where u can enjoy the gudlife if u work hard. i think all u need is a long vacation to africa not a relocation. We all love africa but the truth is africa can never catch up with the west. If u ask most africans to choose btn staying in africa and permanently relocating to the west they will choose the west coz the west is the place to be.

You probably have not stepped foot out of nigeria before.. its so obvious!

2 Likes

Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by GoldCircle: 5:44pm On Oct 15, 2015
Pidggin:

Then when you get to your fifties, sixties and beyond, the basic amenities you mentioned may not appeal to you as much as the communal African spirit once again. You decide to relocate and build a house with the money you made while toiling in the West, but your Western trained children will not relocate with you, they will abandon you for the Western comfort which you also sort in your youth, they will adopt their individualistic culture and their lack of care for the elderly, and you may find yourself alone and full of regret, It's a vicious circle indeed.

This indeed is the scariest part of relocating and living abroad. Knowing that the kids won't come with you or even visit you when you retire home in your old age.

3 Likes

Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by Miami11: 3:53am On Oct 16, 2015
Pidggin:

What would you advise pidggin?

This point has hit home, reminding me of somewhere I used to work, when some Americans called me to go help translate for them communication with an African man that had been homeless for ten years, with no relatives, no friends nothing.

I asked them what part of Africa he was from, they could not figure out. The director of the place called a hospital where he had been dumped before which confirmed he was Liberian.

I told them I was not Liberian but connected them to a Sierra Leone guy who knew some Liberians that came to try help the guy.
First forward years later I tried to touch base with my Sierra Leone friend who told me the elderly Liberian had died, nobody claimed the body from the mortuary and state buried him.

To this day am thinking this could be me, I think Africans need to not forget their roots and secure their future.

1 Like

Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by Pidggin(f): 7:18am On Oct 16, 2015
Miami11:

This point has hit home, reminding me of somewhere I used to work, when some Americans called me to go help translate for them communication with an African man that had been homeless for ten years, with no relatives, no friends nothing.

I asked them what part of Africa he was from, they could not figure out. The director of the place called a hospital where he had been dumped before which confirmed he was Liberian.

I told them I was not Liberian but connected them to a Sierra Leone guy who knew some Liberians that came to try help the guy.
First forward years later I tried to touch base with my Sierra Leone friend who told me the elderly Liberian had died, nobody claimed the body from the mortuary and state buried him.

To this day am thinking this could be me, I think Africans need to not forget their roots and secure their future.

Sad story, I don't think this scenario would have happened to the Liberian if he was in his country, his relatives would have claimed his corpse. As Africans, we have a rich culture that should be preserved, especially regarding the elderly, our culture is priceless when it comes to this,

I have an uncle who used to live in the US, he has five kids(all American citizens) after his sojourn abroad, my uncle built a grand house and retired home. Fast forward a few years, and none of his children ever came back to visit him, he died in his big house alone. One thing that keeps bothering me whenever I travel abroad is the sight of the elderly. My brother has a neighbor "Tracy" she has two kids who haven't visited her for years(she lives alone). You see some of them struggling with their grocery bag, while trying to hold their walking sticks, you try to help, but they think you want to yank it off them, so they struggle to hold it tighter. I have seen an old lady being cursed out in a bus because she told a toddler to sit on her mum's lap so she could sit down. The child's mum cursed her out and insisted her child should sit on her own. Help your children know their roots while they are still young.

4 Likes

Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by Antoinne: 5:58am On Oct 20, 2015
Goldenboy007:
I would always say - these Western countries are not paradise but compared to where we are coming from - it's heaven. I had a very good telecom job in Nigeria so I was comfortable but it's 1 out every 50 graduates that have such opportunities, the chances that your kids would be as fortunate are slim. I do not want my unborn kids to go through same thing I went through. Let them have a go at being world class and not local champions, so if this "Yankee life" is what I have to endure to give them such life, so be it. I am not planning kids to be an insurance for old age, my 401k and other Nigerian investments would take care of that, I can't be selfish - I have had my chances living an independent good life, they have their lives ahead of them too, let them enjoy it too. If it is US or UK life for them; fine !!! If it's Nigeria they would love; fine !!! However sentimentally I would love to spend my old age and die in my homeland but that's me !!!
If you are legally in the US you will be financially fine, except you are lazy then you won't "make it". In just very few years of relocating, my networth (assets and investments)have increased 10x of what I perceived as my comfortable status in Nigeria. If you have the opportunity please don't let PDP and APC politicians decide the fate of your kids because their kids are not even in the country!!!

I really have to say I couldn't agree less with your post. I also plan to have my kids in the US. Let them have a US citizenship, and then decide for themselves if they want to spend the rest of their lives in their home country or in the US as an international citizen.
Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by Goldenboy007(m): 5:19pm On Oct 20, 2015
Miami11:

It really doesn't matter if someone is in Nigeria, US or Timbukutu, if you do not plan well for your old age - you will end up dying homeless! Go to general hospital in Lagos and you will see many unclaimed corpses of both young and old who died abandoned by their families.

What is sad is when you planned well for your retirement and gave your children good education but because you are unfortunate to be in a country that do not function well, your retirement pension was embezzled by a public officer and your educated children cannot even afford to feed themselves not to talk of feeding you ! You will still die wretched in your own country !!!

I wonder what Obama would have been if his father had insisted he remains in Kenya so that he won't die lonely !!!

10 Likes

Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by afroxyz: 11:35pm On Oct 20, 2015
Interesting thread. I plan to do my PhD in the states, during this time I plan to have my kids there so as to bag the US citizenship. Although the idea of relocating permanently seems tantalising, something deep down tells me that my kids may become cultural outcasts and forget their roots.
I have decided that after my doctorate I may come back, but the idea of being exposed to world class institutions and possibly lecturing abroad still haunts me. It's a vicious cycle

2 Likes

Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by Adesiji77: 7:21am On Oct 27, 2015
Nice topic, nice posts...very insightful I must say.
Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by Miami11: 9:23pm On Oct 29, 2015
Adesiji77:
Nice topic, nice posts...very insightful I must say.

We tried to put the actual picture of African immigrants after few years abroad
Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by Adesiji77: 9:48pm On Oct 29, 2015
Miami11:

We tried to put the actual picture of African immigrants after few years abroad

Thanks for sharing. It provided a realistic picture for one. It is a normal desire to yearn for greener pastures but at least, one can make informed decisions.
Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by FLORIDACAR: 3:29pm On Oct 31, 2015
Miami11,, There is a voice in you that calling you back home.
It's a kind of voice that called all the great men before you. Put God first and yield to it.
Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by justwise(m): 3:43pm On Oct 31, 2015
FLORIDACAR:
Miami11,, There is a voice in you that calling you back home.
It's a kind of voice that called all the great men before you. Put God first and yield to it.

What has God got to do with this?

2 Likes

Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by 1k001(m): 5:02pm On Oct 31, 2015
Miami11:
I came to the states to study, years later I extended my stay

Got married have young kids, but the urge to go back to Africa is daunting( I don't come from Nigeria but one of the African countries)

I went home for vacation and couldn't help the feel that I had lost a part of my life my dreams and my desires, lost relatives, missed part of my siblings growing up, missed the weather and such.
I have a feeling that

Staying back in Africa and impacting lives is worthwhile than enjoying the convenience of amenities down here.( I'm finishing a second degree and am ready to go) hubby is not on board with such, but he is willing to let me go try the experience.

To me over ten years in this country is overdue, I don't really enjoy all the drive through and other amenities in the west.

On all my visits to my country I have not had problems staying in a remote village trekking places and such. I like the exposure, experience and education I have had overseas, but I think making overseas my permanent home is futile.

Anyone ever felt such a strong desire to go back home?

I once felt just like you did. After a decade away i considered the exact same things you're now considering. So guess what i did? I moved back, 6 months ago. It's been great! Not without its challenges of course but when the mind is made up, the mind is made up. Start planning now and join us here in mother Africa. East or west, home is best!

1 Like

Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by Nobody: 10:49pm On Oct 31, 2015
I'm surprised to see what a whole lot of people are posting here. people have lost it! is it so bad in Africa? Africa is only bad when you're poor. I don't think the poster will have it so bad relocating.

You guys don't know how it feels like to be abandoned by your own children,to disgust other people because of your old age. No wonder we continue to play second fiddle to the white man, the black man is content with being a slave and doesn't mind losing his identity for temporary pleasure.

Most of the people coming here to speak I'll of Africa,what has been your contribution to Africa's development? The little amenities we manage is from the blood and sweat of some people,gaining independence wasn't so easy,it was the struggle of some people. what has been your own contribution to Africa?other than to sit back and speak I'll of your mother land.

You speak so well of the west forgetting how they built their own civilisation on the sweat of slaves from Africa,how Africa was raped you forgot. I refuse to be a slave to a white man.

I am proud of my identity,and I am part of the next generation creating change in Africa. What is your own contribution ?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by menabae(f): 11:26am On Nov 01, 2015
wahabian:
I'm surprised to see what a whole lot of people are posting here. people have lost it! is it so bad in Africa? Africa is only bad when you're poor. I don't think the poster will have it so bad relocating.

You guys don't know how it feels like to be abandoned by your own children,to disgust other people because of your old age. No wonder we continue to play second fiddle to the white man, the black man is content with being a slave and doesn't mind losing his identity for temporary pleasure.

Most of the people coming here to speak I'll of Africa,what has been your contribution to Africa's development? The little amenities we manage is from the blood and sweat of some people,gaining independence wasn't so easy,it was the struggle of some people. what has been your own contribution to Africa?other than to sit back and speak I'll of your mother land.

You speak so well of the west forgetting how they built their own civilisation on the sweat of slaves from Africa,how Africa was raped you forgot. I refuse to be a slave to a white man.

I am proud of my identity,and I am part of the next generation creating change in Africa. What is your own contribution ?
well said sir!tell them

2 Likes

Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by justwise(m): 6:10pm On Nov 01, 2015
wahabian:
I'm surprised to see what a whole lot of people are posting here. people have lost it! is it so bad in Africa? Africa is only bad when you're poor . I don't think the poster will have it so bad relocating.

...and where do we have the world poorest people?

4 Likes

Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 01, 2015
justwise:

...and where do we have the world poorest people?

Don't you know of people who started from the scratch? If you work hard here you'll be rewarded for your effort. People prefer to only exaggerate and condemn Africa.
Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by justwise(m): 7:24pm On Nov 01, 2015
wahabian:

Don't you know of people who started from the scratch? If you work hard here you'll be rewarded for your effort. People prefer to only exaggerate and condemn Africa.

You can start from scratch anywhere home or abroad, nobody is condemning Africa, Africa is rule by mostly bunch of crooks and that is fact.

4 Likes

Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by angiography(m): 7:41pm On Nov 01, 2015
wahabian:
I'm surprised to see what a whole lot of people are posting here. people have lost it! is it so bad in Africa? Africa is only bad when you're poor.

Mister/miss,
Going by ur word; "Africa is only bad when you are poor"
Since some 69% of Nigerians (taking Nigeria as a case study) live under 1$ a day and nearly 85% under 2$ per day...I can absolutely say we are poor.

Africa is bad...no need to window-shop...

That some few people are millionaires is not a reflection of realities among the masses.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by Nobody: 11:21pm On Nov 01, 2015
"Africa is bad","Africa is this ","Africa is that", What have you done about it? No matter where you run to - it will never be your home,they will never accept you and you'll always face racism.

I still stand by my word,Africa rewards hard work. If you want me to give you examples I will.

Finally,quit discouraging people who are willing to relocate. White people live here and they never complain. What is your own sef?

1 Like

Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by pansophist(m): 3:34am On Nov 11, 2015
angiography:

Mister/miss,
Going by ur word; "Africa is only bad when you are poor"
Since some 69% of Nigerians (taking Nigeria as a case study) live under 1$ a day and nearly 85% under 2$ per day...I can absolutely say we are poor.

Africa is bad...no need to window-shop...

That some few people are millionaires is not a reflection of realities among the masses.

Your generalisation is misleading. Africa is a continent, not a country. DO not extrapolate the socio-economical situation in Nigeria to Africa. Smh.

1 Like

Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by angiography(m): 8:27am On Nov 11, 2015
pansophist:

Your generalisation is misleading. Africa is a continent, not a country. DO not extrapolate the socio-economical situation in Nigeria to Africa. Smh.
Your ignorance is bewildering. Re-read my post and you will see I used Nigeria as a reference.

And by the way, the poverty indices in many Africa countries are worse than Nigeria. Guinea, DRC, ZAMBIA, TANZANIA, MADAGASCAR, KENYA, ETHIOPIA, SOUTH SUDAN, SUDAN, LIBERIA, SIERRA LEONE, TOGO, BENIN, ERITEA, SOMALIA, CAR, ZIMBABWE, ETC.... This countries have a lower GDP than Nigeria. If the majority is poor, then my generalization may not be a falacy as u suggested
Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by Nobody: 4:46pm On Nov 11, 2015
My Advice: Think of a modest business that'll cater for your needs when you return home, persuade your kids to join you so that you can cope and they too after a change of environment. Make the journey afterwards.
Re: Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, by ATERI(m): 7:52pm On Nov 11, 2015
[b] There are many interesting things going on here. In most cases it`s African men that want to go back to Africa while their wives would be resisting here it is the other way round. My advice to Miami11 is to think carefully before leaping. For a human being to be happy in life at least 3 things must be present, namely we must love the job we do, be in loving relationship as well as be close to friends and family. Once these have been achieved be reluctant to upset the equilibrium because it might be downhill from there
You are always free to go back to Africa, but having come across as a feeling and caring human being, would you be able to cope being surrounded by the majority that have nothing? That is something you need to bear in mind because you are now back at home to help out is all they are interested in, and how many would you be able to help?
I`m of the opinion that wherever we choose to live there is always a price to pay. Those based in Africa have to deal with a difficult today that may deliver a better tomorrow while those based abroad might have a better today and a difficult tomorrow. Those abroad are bringing up children that may end up being neither African nor American or European; once you deprive your children of your native language, you have deprived them of your culture so being abroad has its own disadvantages
Before relocation please go and spend at least 3 months at home and use that a a guide for the final decision.
[/b]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

RUSSIA 2018-how To Get There.first Hand Experience Of A Brazil 2014 Attendee. / I Need Tips For Entering Cameroun From Enugu Or Calabar By Road. / 9 Best Affordable Places To Live In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.