Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,754 members, 7,817,086 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:12 AM

How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? (17492 Views)

Which Minister Do We Hold Accountable For The Free Meal And 5k? / I Can Defeat Jonathan If INEC Conducts Credible Elections - Buhari / Obasanjo: We Hold Jonathan To One Term Vow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by CBTonline(m): 8:34am On Apr 27, 2009
I think one of the major ways of having a credible, free and fair elections in this country is to first and foremost decentralise the powers that is concentrated at the centre. When this is done, their hold over this nation will break and thereon there can be a responsible election in place.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by chiacn: 9:06am On Apr 27, 2009
it takes only GOD;S DIRECT intervention.we nigerians and our leaders are so corrupt that it is only GOD that can right all the wrongs.credible election is no where feasible in this country.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by bsanya(f): 9:17am On Apr 27, 2009
I think what we need now is the intervention of God in our country and that the Lord will eliminate this Papa Deceiving Pikin people from the way dat is when we can have a Free and Fair elections in Nigeria. Take Ekiti State for an Example PDP wants to av their way by all means and if they do so, the people will no accept them. U CANT FORCE UR CANDIDATE ON US PDP AND HIS MEMBERS, IT IS WELL WITH DEMOCRACY IN NIGERIA
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by blacksta(m): 9:30am On Apr 27, 2009
chi_acn:

it takes only GOD;S DIRECT intervention.we nigerians and our leaders are so corrupt that it is only GOD that can right all the wrongs.credible election is no where feasible in this country.

God will have wipe out Nigeria and restart the country again which i doubt is going to happen. Dear friend u and i need to do something radical.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by amaikama(m): 10:15am On Apr 27, 2009
@poster! simple, when all the dirty politicians and soldiers are all dead.  angry
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by smooooooth: 10:31am On Apr 27, 2009
1.when we have a credible INec chairman,

2. all parties field credible candidates

3. we have a credible police

4. credible voters.

till then we will continue to have the ''do or die'' elections in nigeria.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:46am On Apr 27, 2009
The right question should be, "How can we avoid holding INCREDIBLE elections in naija?"
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by obaf(m): 10:52am On Apr 27, 2009
ONLY WHEN OBASANJO DIES WITH ALL HIS WURU WURU WAYS INTO GRAVE YARD>
BUT HE HAD ALREADY CORRUPTED ALL PDP MEMBERS.IT IS A BIG CULT NOW.
Pls let talk about another country,atleast we all saw what happened in Ekiti after all these wahala
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by chidichris(m): 11:13am On Apr 27, 2009
@chidichris your post makes a lot of sense, however are you saying it is going to be impossible to bribe a so called "independent" INEC chairman? As long as the laws which govern the operation and conduct of institutions like INEC are made more secure so vote rigging and malpractices are difficult to instigate, and as long as solid procedures which MUST BE adhered to are put in place and enforcedthen it might be more difficult for malpractices to occur at the rate they do in Nigeria. Basically laws and procedures need to be put in place which immediately serve as grounds for disqualification of the INEC chairman or an INEC official when such procedures are broken and also serve for annulment of results from a particular area or the elections in general. These procedures and laws need to be made known through ad campaigns and air time to the populace so they are informed of what is acceptable and what is definately not with regards to actions of electoral officers and security.

Sky Blue,
yes, having institutions here does not stop at inec alone. the judiciary will be independent, the corruption fighting commission must be an opposite of what we had under obj. with all the institutions in place and very independent of the parties in power, the president will have less powers and the constitutin of the country will supperior to any man be him the president of the party chairman.
but as long as the chairman of the party is appointed by the president with the advise of his party, as long as the man at the helm of affairs in our efcc is more powerful than our constitution, as long as nigeria is having two headquaters in aso rock and ottah farm, as long as past leaders have remained the present leaders, as long as this recycle in leadership continues, as long as there as untouchables, as long as pdp is the constitution of nigeria, as long as political thugs are kingmakers, my doubts will still remain thick.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Apr 27, 2009
Every Nigerian needs to get Civilised first. We are not civilised.

See what happened in South Africa or Ghana will never happen in Nigeria in the next 50years.

In South Africa Thabo Mbeki stepped down merely because he was accused of meddling with Judicial affairs.
Jacob Zuma who was already the party leader and President did not hastily rush into power but rather waited to be voted in.
Molanthe who took over power in Interim Capacity did not even try to form his own party to challenge Zuma his party's choice.
And when the election was held freely and fairly, Zuma won fair and square.

Can any of this civility happen in Nigeria? Mbeki will not certainly step down in Nigeria, Jacob Zuma will not dream of postponing his opportunity to assume power for the sake of any Election, Molanthe would have certainly reformed the ANC or formed a new party in other to remain in power and the election that brought Zuma to power won't certainly be free and fair.

Or are we talking about Ghana where Gerry Rawlings deputy lost elections to then opposition candidate John Kuffor, and then John Kuffor's deputy and prefered candidate lost the primary election to Nana Akuffo Ado. And then Nana Akuffor Ado who is in the President's party and who President Kuffor voted at the general election lost to the opposition candidate Prof. Atta-Mills.

Will any of these civility be shown in Nigeria?

If anybody tells you Nigeria is giant of Africa tell them to wake up from sleep . . . . .  the world is moving beyond us.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by Eziachi: 12:55pm On Apr 27, 2009
I often wonder why many Nigerians react in amazement when the ugly events over the weekend happened? You do not expect election in Nigeria to be free and fair when those in power had been around from the begining of Nigeria in one way or the other. When being in power means being a demi god and overnight riches, hence people will do all sort to go into power and do all sorts to remain there.  And there are thousands of willing tools, ready to be used by corrupt rulers of Nigeria, if not tell me how many of those arrested or burning and maiming are children or relatives of those politicians?
When the police, army, Navy  and air force thinks that their job is to prtotect only those in power instead of everybody and to arrest and persecute anybody irrespective of their positions in the society.

There will never be a credible election in Nigeria unless the system is cleaned and they start with a clean state. I still believe that only the military can do it and the military I mean is not the type of military headed by politicians in uniforms like Babangida, Abacha and their cronies.  It's the military with the mindset of Kaduna Nzeogwu and his group, who started a revolution until it got ethnic colouration. Until every single person who had had any sort of power in Nigeria are physical wiped out, nothing will change.  It works in Ghana that is why opposition parties has won both parliamentary and presidential elections in Ghana twice in recent years without much of the sort of trouble witnessed in Ekiti over the weekend.

If there is option A4 as they call it in Ekiti, which thug will have a ballot paper to snatch? or which politician will have ballot papers to stuff? Which INEC official will have anything/result to run to Abuja with when everybody had already knew the outcome openly and in an instant?
Nigerian rulers and their blind follower knew that this system works, hence their opposition to it's adoptation, if not why is Babangida whose under his administration Humphrey Nwosu used this system successfully keeping mute over it's adoption for instance? if not that sysem produced what they are not use to, i.e a candidate the Kaduna mafia always forced on gullible Nigerians.

Some also will say, I have come again but I had to say it again that, Nigeria had over streched it's marriage of existence. It's time everyone go home and sort themselves out. If Nigeria cannot successfully hold an election free and fair without shedding of blood in just 63 wards, what hope is there?
What is happening in Ekiti will have taken a different tone if this is purely Oduduwa problem without the likes of Okiro, Maurice Iwu, Yar Adua, Jonathan all coming from far away lands to meddle and this will finally be decided by non Oduduwa son called Judges of the appeal court in the end.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by REALTRUTH1: 1:51pm On Apr 27, 2009
mikeansy:

See what happened in South Africa or Ghana will never happen in Nigeria in the next 50years.

In South Africa Thabo Mbeki stepped down merely because he was accused of meddling with Judicial affairs.
Jacob Zuma who was already the party leader and President did not hastily rush into power but rather waited to be voted in.
Molanthe who took over power in Interim Capacity did not even try to form his own party to challenge Zuma his party's choice.

Can any of this civility happen in Nigeria? Mbeki will not certainly step down in Nigeria, Jacob Zuma will not dream of postponing his opportunity to assume power for the sake of any Election, Molanthe would have certainly reformed the ANC or formed a new party in other to remain in power and the election that brought Zuma to power won't certainly be free and fair.

Or are we talking about Ghana where Gerry Rawlings deputy lost elections to then opposition candidate John Kuffor, and then John Kuffor's deputy and prefered candidate lost the primary election to Nana Akuffo Ado. And then Nana Akuffor Ado who is in the President's party and who President Kuffor voted at the general election lost to the opposition candidate Prof. Atta-Mills.

If anybody tells you Nigeria is giant of Africa tell them to wake up from sleep . . . . . the world is moving beyond us.
Guy I think you have finally summed it up! I wish this is published on the pages of Newspapers for all Nigerians to have a sober reflection.If we can't have the American democracy,,,can we at least learn or copy from our brothers and neighbors such as Ghana and South Africa?
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by georgecso(m): 2:39pm On Apr 27, 2009
Quote from: mikeansy on Today at 12:46:07 PM

If anybody tells you Nigeria is giant of Africa tell them to wake up from sleep . . . . . the world is moving beyond us.

That's a good sign of a failing state. USSR did not collapse in one day. If Nigeria, INEC cannot a hold a successful election in a Local Government in Ekiti State, then Nigeria is in a big dilemma.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 2:40pm On Apr 27, 2009
Democracy is a form of government in which the power is held by citizens.

@Poster, as soon as the citizens start actively playing their part in this system of government, instead of continuing to pass blame to the politicians who are actually supposed to be under the people, not above, then we start having free and fair elections. I believe the solution is truly that simple!

The SYSTEM ought to be made up of the Citizens making most of the decisions and the politicians working towards to will of the people. We have all the laws and policies on paper to aid us in actively partaking in government. No new policies/laws will help change things if we are not willing to switch from our current state to a more proactive state.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by sugabelle: 2:49pm On Apr 27, 2009
Ouestion: How can we hold credible elections in Nigeria?

Answer: We Can't.

The legacy of rigging as handed down by you-know-who is a lasting one, I'm afraid. undecided
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 2:57pm On Apr 27, 2009
sugabelle:

Ouestion: How can we hold credible elections in Nigeria?

Answer: We Can't.

The legacy of rigging as handed down by you-know-who is a lasting one, I'm afraid. undecided

Question: Who actually rigs the vote?
Option: The very politicians trying to get elected Or people paid off by these politicians?
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by sugabelle: 3:01pm On Apr 27, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Question: Who actually rigs the vote?
Option: The very politicians trying to get elected Or people paid off by these politicians?

Answer: Who cares?

An election where u vote but u're 100% sure ur vote does not count, is rubbish. Unless everyone who was ever involved in politics since the early 90's suddenly dies off, I don't think there can ever be a [b]credible [/b]election in Nigeria. Any more questions? wink
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 3:04pm On Apr 27, 2009
sugabelle:

Answer: Who cares?
An election where u vote but u're 100% sure ur vote does not count, is rubbish. Unless everyone who was ever involved in politics since the early 90's suddenly dies off, I don't think there can ever be a [b]credible [/b]election in Nigeria. Any more questions? wink
Question: Do you have proof that your vote does not count, Or do you just assume that if your side looses, your vote did not count?
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Apr 27, 2009
Folks this is a serious matter

A resident electoral commissioner for Ekiti is on record to have suggested that 15,000 votes were added by a party and she was being pressured to announce that result even though it was not signed by the monitors on ground.

Votes dont count in Nigeria.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by afix(m): 3:50pm On Apr 27, 2009
I belive nigeria can hold a creadible elections with this stated steps below;
1.INEC SHOULD BE MADE THROUGHLY INDEPENDENT.That is inec funding shouldn't comes from government and appointment into inec offices should be done by the general public through public opinion.
2.THE USE OF ELECTRONICS VOTING MACHINE THAT IS NETWORKED THROUGHOUT THE FEDERATION.This system should be made in such a way that it can only allow a vote per person throughout the federation in any of the  voting category.
3.THE USE OF CCTV TO TRAP DOWN THUGS IN THE COURSE OF THE ELECTIONS.

But i doubt if this can be done by our corrupt leaders;I LOVE NIGERIA.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by sugabelle: 4:01pm On Apr 27, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Question: Do you have proof that your vote does not count, Or do you just assume that if your side looses, your vote did not count?

lol. U make me laugh. U know what I mean, come on. When in Nigeria, the ruling power makes it "do or die" to ensure their political victory, then the vote of the average common man, will never count. We shouldn't bother even leaving the house to go out and vote - the ballot has already been counted. tongue

mikeansy:

Folks this is a serious matter

A resident electoral commissioner for Ekiti is on record to have suggested that 15,000 votes were added by a party and she was being pressured to announce that result even though it was not signed by the monitors on ground.

Votes dont count in Nigeria.

@ kobojunkie,

does this answer your question? cheesy
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 4:09pm On Apr 27, 2009
sugabelle:

lol. U make me laugh. U know what I mean, come on.
I can’t read your mind to know what you mean.
sugabelle:

When in Nigeria, the ruling power makes it "do or die" to ensure their political victory, then the vote of the average common man, will never count.
The ruling power? Last I checked, in a democracy, the ruling power ought to be the people.
Question: Are you saying the people are the problem here?
sugabelle:

We shouldn't bother even leaving the house to go out and vote - the ballot has already been counted. tongue
Question: You mean the people should not vote but assume the ballots have already been counted?

sugabelle:

@ kobojunkie,
does this answer your question? cheesy
Question: How can re-stating the very same answer my question?
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by chidichris(m): 4:30pm On Apr 27, 2009
Democracy is a form of government in which the power is held by citizens.

@Poster, as soon as the citizens start actively playing their part in this system of government, instead of continuing to pass blame to the politicians who are actually supposed to be under the people, not above, then we start having free and fair elections. I believe the solution is truly that simple!

The SYSTEM ought to be made up of the Citizens making most of the decisions and the politicians working towards to will of the people. We have all the laws and policies on paper to aid us in actively partaking in government. No new policies/laws will help change things if we are not willing to switch from our current state to a more proactive state.

another idealistic opinion here. this is out of the world. we must be objective here. how do u stand up against these godforssaken criminals? do u think of what they do just to be where they are? do u think of the types of armunitions they import just for elections?
we must preach what we do. we must learn to lead by example. u must be ready to show example of what you mean by standing up against the leaders.
top decieving people here. the worst nigeria and nigerians are ready for now is war.if there is anything u consider a solution, u must be part of it as no one can act just because you have said so and meanwhile u are far away from the scene.
there is practically nothing a common man can do without God's intervention in our situation now.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by proudly9ja(m): 4:32pm On Apr 27, 2009
It is quite obvious to me that the people involved in rigging in Ekiti as in previous elections in Nigeria are the same people who suffer the fate of a rigged election - The so called 'masses'. From pictures seen and video watched, I have not seen Yaradua stuffing ballot boxes neither have I seen or heard Oni or Fayemi thumbprinting ballot papers. However, I have heard that 'thugs' hired by these people are the ones committing all the aforementioned crimes. Who are these thugs? Nigerians, every day citizens just like you and me. In fact, Im sure a lot of people who live in Ekiti know the homes and identities of these 'thugs'.

My point is that we the citizens are the ones who should take charge of our destinies. Even if we drive away all the politicians like someone suggested, as long as we the citizens remain lackadaisical and maintain our siddon look attitude, a fresh set of thieves will spring up and take over.

@ post. How then do we hold credible elections in Nigeria?
I think I have only one answer. We, the citizens, the real stakeholders in this matter need to rise up and take charge of our destinies.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Apr 27, 2009
surely the citizens have a responsibility but we also have to remember that these people are being used because they are available
they are available because they are hopeless
they are hopeless because they are uneducated and jobless
our leaders impoverished this people so that they can be used and that it the sad story.

So while we demand responsibility from ordinary citizens we also have to attack the culture where people hire thugs they impoverished.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by proudly9ja(m): 5:30pm On Apr 27, 2009
mikeansy:

surely the citizens have a responsibility but we also have to remember that these people are being used because they are available
they are available because they are hopeless
they are hopeless because they are uneducated and jobless
our leaders impoverished this people so that they can be used and that it the sad story.

So while we demand responsibility from ordinary citizens we also have to attack the culture where people hire thugs they impoverished.

I concur
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by RichyBlacK(m): 6:43pm On Apr 27, 2009
The Nigerian government is infinitely useless!
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by Redman44(m): 6:53pm On Apr 27, 2009
The time is coming, and it is very near, when some of the people on this forum will start acting out their ideas in Nigeria. Every revolution that has happened in history started with concerned citizens bouncing off progressive ideas on each other. For all the naysayers, I want you to know that real change is coming to Nigeria very soon. I have my own plans which I'm keeping under wraps. The revolution that will take place in Nigeria will not be too bloody but a lot of changes will take place.

The Bolshevik Revolution in Russia [ read more about it on the net ] was hatched over some months in a room. Most of the guys that led the Russian Revolution were intellectuals i.e Lenin, Trotsky etc etc. They were just fed up with how the Russian Populace were being ruled by the Tsar and his cabinet. The good thing was that when Lenin and his men sparked off the revolution, they didnt need to do much. Ordinary Russians seized the initiative and took their destinies into their hands. Russian soldiers who had just returned from fighting in the French Revolution joined the civilians in fishing out the corrupt leaders.

The destiny of Nigeria lies in our hands. No Policeman or soldier will shoot you for airing your views when he knows you're fighting for his children's future. Information is the key to great changes in Nigeria. Nigerians need to be informed about the electoral process in the language they can understand. During the 2003 elections, I voted for the Justice Party and the NCP and many people voted for the Justice Party that day on my street. Nigerians know the kind of leaders they want. Nobody has the monopoly of violence in Nigeria. Very soon, some thugs will try to intimidate voters during elections and ordinary citizens will resist them. You will be surprised when that innocent looking guy on your street will suddenly bring out his gun and fire into the air to scare off the thugs. We need to start getting involved in the electoral process.

I have a lot to say but my ideas on how to change Nigeria are very deep and radical. When I was in Uni, I was a member of the press then. One day, I called a meeting of the Press club members and told them what to do about the neglect of the Hall by the Warden. The next morning, strong articles condemning the Hall Warden appeared on the Pressboard. Suddenly, fear and anger enveloped the hall. Before we knew it, some guys in the hall seized the initiative. They went to the gates of the hall and started singing and drumming there. The Warden was due to visit the Hall that morning. As he drove towards the Hall, he saw the aggrieved Zikites by the gates. The poor man abandoned his car and ran for his life.
That Afternoon, the Warden sent Electricians and Plumbers to come and start work on the Hall. Things changed in Zik Hall that week. What I'm saying is this: Things are not so difficult as they seem in Nigeria. We only need to tackle our problems with foresight and courage. Cheers.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 7:11pm On Apr 27, 2009
lol
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by Redman44(m): 9:53pm On Apr 27, 2009
Youths in Ekiti State have already started taking their destinies into their own hands. A good number of them are opposing the rigging of the current elections in the state powerfully. They are making their presence felt in different parts of the state. I have not heard or read of any Ekiti youth being killed by the Police or soldiers. I know youths in other states are watching events unfold in Ekiti State. Fellow Nairalanders, Nigerian youths are getting conscious these days. 2011 will be war against corrupt politicians. Just wait and see. Cheers.

CHANGE IS COMING TO NIGERIA.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by sugabelle: 10:25pm On Apr 27, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I can’t read your mind to know what you mean.The ruling power? Last I checked, in a democracy, the ruling power ought to be the people.
Question: Are you saying the people are the problem here? Question: You mean the people should not vote but assume the ballots have already been counted?
Question: How can re-stating the very same answer my question?

sorry, please read the whole post as made by mikeansy, that's what I was refering to as an answer. You can't read my mind, no, but u must get my point. No matter the guilty party(pun intended cheesy), whether the political thugs or the kingpins of democracy, we the common man are being cheated, especially when we go out to vote and invariably, what ever we have chosen, we will never know, because the choice has already been made by the almighty "Riggists." cool
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by DKNYtruth(m): 11:14pm On Apr 27, 2009
LET'S START FROM STABLE POWER SUPPLY, THEN WE CAN TAKE IT FROM THERE,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC Conducts Mock Election To Pick Candidate For House Of Reps Speakership / Shekarau Promises To Deliver Kano, Other States To Atiku / Cost Of Non-Returning Lawmakers Heavy For Democracy — Lawan, Senate President

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.