Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,621 members, 7,809,290 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:20 AM

The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture (1591 Views)

Kenneth Bitrus Yakubu, The Custodian Of Yakubu Andrew's $9.8million / Fayose On His Knees As Eze Akaji Of Igbo Land Prays For Him At Ekiti Govt House / Map Of Native Courts Of 1903 Showing Boundary Of Igbo Speaking People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by o42austino(m): 5:14am On Oct 13, 2015
I went through a thread here of the colourful Ofala festival of Obi of Onitsha which I must admit is beautiful and colourful but, I must correct the impression that the Op created which portray Obi of Onitsha as the most first class king in Igbo nation, such misinformation is malicious and should not be believed by any person.

Before I go on I will hv to ask that op some questions, Do Obi of Onitsha name the new Igbo calendar year?

Do Igwe of Onitsha perform the first ever new yam festival before other Kingdom follow suit?

If this answers are No then it is wrong to give him such title that he did not deserve. The first and the most powerful king in Igbo land is Eze Nri, he is the only king that can name the Igbo new year and perform the first yam festival in Igbo land before other kings including Obi of Onitsha can do so.

The question people keep asking me is why they don't get to see this Eze Nri in the television or political gathering like they see Obi of Onitsha? And my answer is because his a spiritual king, some see him as God king and not everybody could touch him, he does not eat food cooked by none Virgins but, the most important part of it all is that not everyone could touch him so that why obi Could attend all the political meetings and other gathering.

If you want to see Eze Nri, be available during igbo New calendar year festival live on television through eastern Nigeria and watch how even Obi of Onitsha pays homage to the true king of Igbo nation.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by Nobody: 5:34am On Oct 13, 2015
The young man actually thought leadership was merited by popularity.Mentioning emir of kano when the sultan is still there.Even the chief imam has more traditional powers than the emir...sanusi lamido. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Nri?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C9494896229
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by o42austino(m): 5:57am On Oct 13, 2015
Eugenedimgba:
The young man actually thought leadership was merited by popularity.Mentioning emir of kano when the sultan is still there.Even the chief imam has more traditional powers than the emir...sanusi lamido. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Nri?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C9494896229
I think the glamour is what he was judging from and that's where he got it wrong.
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by omoelesa(m): 6:04am On Oct 13, 2015
Abegi, abegi does ibo have history, apart from the biafra war.

2 Likes

Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by Yeske2(m): 6:07am On Oct 13, 2015
The OP was actually carried away by the popularity of Obi of Onitsha and we tried correcting that impression yesterday.

1 Like

Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by Nobody: 6:30am On Oct 13, 2015
Seriously I didn't buy that guy idea...
Obi of onitsha kwa... Noooo
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by cooljude(m): 7:09am On Oct 13, 2015
I agree with this view.
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by o42austino(m): 7:12am On Oct 13, 2015
omoelesa:
Abegi, abegi does ibo have history, apart from the biafra war.
Igbo's just like all the other tribe has history.
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by Yinkahlite(m): 7:20am On Oct 13, 2015
That's a nice write up
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by chino11(m): 7:31am On Oct 13, 2015
Eze Nri is the custodian of Igbo culture while the Obi of Onitsha is the most influential and populous within and outside Igboland.

1 Like

Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by Curlieweed: 8:05am On Oct 13, 2015
I don't understand all this pointless argument about silly relics. Personally, I hate all kings.

I hold the quote below to be true.

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Denis Diderot

1 Like

Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by dialfa: 8:10am On Oct 13, 2015
Curlieweed:
I don't understand all this pointless argument about silly relics. Personally, I hate all kings.

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Denis Diderot

What have our Kings done to you?
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by Curlieweed: 8:15am On Oct 13, 2015
dialfa:

What have our Kings done to you?

My ancestors rejected them and I reject them also. Liberty only started flourishing in the West when they rejected the "divine right" of kings. Read about the french revolution.
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by bonechamberlain(m): 8:19am On Oct 13, 2015
Curlieweed:

My ancestors rejected them and I reject them also. Liberty only started flourishing in the West when they rejected the "divine right" of kings. Read about the french revolution.
exactly, that would be needed mostly in the north. for them to develop both mentally and physically they need to see their emirs as the see themselves
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by Nobody: 8:31am On Oct 13, 2015
Who is Eze Nri? The man that begged for the throne at Obu-Gad right? Go and do your research well.. The truth will reveal itself soon!
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by OfoIgbo: 8:48am On Oct 13, 2015
spiritfada:
Who is Eze Nri? The man that begged for the throne at Obu-Gad right? Go and do your research well.. The truth will reveal itself soon!

Nri people kniw of OBUGA, not OBU-GAD which is a historical 429 being cooked up in Aguleri to curry favour from Israel.

Secondly, no Nri king, including the Eze Nri has ever begged for anything.

O ga-ebulu enyi n'isi welu ukwu na-akpi abuzu?

4 Likes

Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by o42austino(m): 10:13am On Oct 13, 2015
Curlieweed:

Denis Diderot

smiles... Like the Quote but I don't believe in its implementation.
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by o42austino(m): 10:16am On Oct 13, 2015
chino11:
Eze Nri is the custodian of Igbo culture while the Obi of Onitsha is the most influential and populous within and outside Igboland.
ur on point
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by o42austino(m): 10:18am On Oct 13, 2015
spiritfada:
Eze Nri did not beg for anything, go read ur history.
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 13, 2015
o42austino:
Eze Nri did not beg for anything, go read ur history.

Videos doesn't lie...
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by o42austino(m): 10:49am On Oct 13, 2015
spiritfada:

Videos doesn't lie...
which video?
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by IGBOSON1: 11:00am On Oct 13, 2015
I think the Eze Nri -though not as popular or as swaggalicious as the Obi- is the foremost traditional ruler in Igboland! I even remember studying about Nri and Eze Nri in a Pol' Science course at Uni'....that's how important he is!
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by dialfa: 11:03am On Oct 13, 2015
Curlieweed:

Are you french?
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by Curlieweed: 11:07am On Oct 13, 2015
dialfa:

Are you french?

I'm Igbo and my ancestors rejected kings. I just gave the French example for illustration.
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by dialfa: 11:20am On Oct 13, 2015
Curlieweed:

I'm Igbo and my ancestors rejected kings. I just gave the French example for illustration.

We have always had hierarchies and leaders in our Igbo society. These leaders, you may say, were not as ruling as kings in other cultures did. They were more spiritual leaders than political leaders. Eze Nri was one of those. He was in fact the highest ranking of Igbo leaders but HE DOESN'T MAKE ANY LAWS. We are republicans.
We cannot reject our kings as the french did theirs because we didn't have political ruling kings like the french. We respect and honour our Ezes but owe them no allegiance.

1 Like

Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by Nobody: 11:59am On Oct 13, 2015
o42austino:
which video?

I wont discuss more on this issue...
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by o42austino(m): 2:56pm On Oct 13, 2015
IGBOSON1:
I think the Eze Nri -though not as popular or as swaggalicious as the Obi- is the foremost traditional ruler in Igboland! I even remember studying about Nri and Eze Nri in a Pol' Science course at Uni'....that's how important he is!
Nri is a traditional Institution and Eze Nri is the head of that traditional institution, to say that Obi of Onitsha is the mine first class king in Igbo land is an insult.
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by o42austino(m): 2:58pm On Oct 13, 2015
dialfa:

Are you french?
lol.....
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by o42austino(m): 3:01pm On Oct 13, 2015
dialfa:

We have always had hierarchies and leaders in our Igbo society. These leaders, you may say, were not as ruling as kings in other cultures did. They were more spiritual leaders than political leaders. Eze Nri was one of those. He was in fact the highest ranking of Igbo leaders but HE DOESN'T MAKE ANY LAWS. We are republicans.
We cannot reject our kings as the french did theirs because we didn't have political ruling kings like the french. We respect and honour our Ezes but owe them no allegiance.
they are powerful but leave the governance to the prime minister and the council of chiefs.
Re: The True Custodian Of Igbo Culture by o42austino(m): 4:49pm On Oct 13, 2015
dialfa:

Are you french?
his from Gambia

(1) (Reply)

Falana Threatens To Drag Buhari To Court If Killings Continue / Congratulations Nigerians/ Biafrans Keep Off / Over One Thousand Shiites Reportedly Killed by Army in Zaria- Human Rights

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.