Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,684 members, 7,809,589 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:42 AM

Find Your Passion: How To. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Find Your Passion: How To. (754 Views)

Let's Share Our Growing Up Stories, Passion &How It Lead To Our Present Career / Kayode Olagunju: "Wole Soyinka Inspired My Passion For Road Safety" / "Follow Your Passion" Isn’t A Good Career Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Find Your Passion: How To. by Chuksemi(m): 8:51am On Oct 14, 2015
When I became a teenager, I experienced a lot of confusion. One of these included choosing a career in line with what I was passionate about.
This topic might be misleading, because a lot of people who are going to open this thread have discovered their 'ultimate passion' but just haven't followed it. Others would be a set of people who know what they love doing, but have refused to accept it is their passion because it points them towards a career path that yields 'middling income'. Somehow, this thread would be of more use to those of the latter group.

I do not, of course, claim to be an expert in guiding people into a path that would definitely lead them to that spark that changes everything and makes you happy forever (as always painted). On the contrary, my purpose here is to share with you simple things I discovered unconsciously ( or whatever) during my journey of self discovery.

critiques are welcome and their inputs highly valued.
First of,

1) Passion isn't always Passion : When the word passion is said what comes to your mind? Something that consumes you right? Something you love so much you virtually can't think of anything else? Now, this leaves you confused because you can't think of anything like that. Fret not, what you can easily do you might not be passionate about at first, or if ever, at all. What you can easily do might be to clean toilets, the house, arrange things and always make sure things are in order. How can anybody ever be passionate about that? But this qualities could be pointing you towards a career in event planning or setting up an outfit for house cleaning services. So, next time when someone says passion, it isn't really passion, it's what you can do.

2) Money Makes the World go Round : I love money, so much, I dance each time I get an alert. Money can be selfish, she can make you go through life mechanically and unhappy. As stated earlier in this post, a lot of you have have actually noticed what you are good in, But deem it insignificant because you can't think of any career path related to it that would spit out a six figure income. You see whatever career path one chooses in life has an apex, imagine you at the apex of the career path you chose. Definitely you would earn good. Let's take for example, a popular clothing line owner Mr Clement [MUDI] , he started as an ordinary tailor, that is by the way a saturated market (all the markets are saturated anyway) he has risen to become an internationally known fashion designer. Same thing goes for Ugo George of the "Make Me " fame. From ordinary barber to a rich beautician. Point is, don't make money a major objective, it will always come even if what you do is clean shoes, just do it well. Money will come in as much quantity as you allow it.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Find Your Passion: How To. by Chuksemi(m): 9:18am On Oct 14, 2015
3) Don't Dive in, Crawl in : I always expected to be enthusiastic and filled with motivation when I finally noticed my passion. Of course before now I have discovered a hundred passions that started with me diving in, it failed. Alas, when I finally came to terms with what I like doing. I wasn't excited, just satisfied. I didn't immediately start jumping with a grin so wide you could see it from behind ( I stole that). Don't always think excitement is associated with your passion. Your passion is not usually hidden, it is always there, you just don't see it. So when you finally do, you will probably be like " oh there you are. "

4) Be Realistic : Earlier in this post I mentioned MUDI, who went from tailoring to fashion designing ( it isn't the same thing please) . I didn't mention, he suffered for years, he was insulted, disappointed and what not. People in their imagination, and plans, usually skip the terrible process of formation and envisage only the days of harvest. life doesn't work that way, even if you are following your passion it won't be easy. There would be days you wish you didn't start, days you would find other passions (lol) ignore them and stick it through. Just keep in mind your ultimate destination while you slug it out.

5) Finally : If you still can't find your passion. and you're 40, relax, you probably don't have any. OK, that was a joke. If you actually still can't place a finger on what you like doing, don't fidget, you will find it one day, it will only take time. Sit back, live life, and be happy. It took me so long to see mine. Some just have it from childhood, others don't. And please, don't enter into a career path simply because a lot of people are in it and are seemingly making it.

P.s : The word 'Passion' was used through out this post for the sake of consistency, I really don't fancy it as good enough to describe what I like doing. I prefer the word 'Purpose'.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Find Your Passion: How To. by Chuksemi(m): 9:22am On Oct 14, 2015
Qhal, Jarus(m ), LordMecuzy (m ), masonkz ( m ), SeanXavier ( m ), giantimpact ( m ), BuddhaPalm( m ), MizMyColi ( f), MyNaijaNaira (m ), Businesstools (m ), dav8id (m ), Ymodulus , Rapsainot(m ), OohMpa , Caracta (f), AmiableJay (m ), firestar (f ), OMA4U (m ), timpaker (m ), mcrings (m ), MisterLongman (m ), Chubhie (m ), Onegai (f ), Seun( m ), Jamesdman( m ), Ishilove , SpaceGoat , (m ), ProfessorD (m ), mysticgal ( f), RaggedyAnn (f), geekybabe ( f), kel2me (m ), yemi2plus (m ), imsuboi ( m ), checoanto (f), ogtavia ( m ), MizSammy (f), Redmosquito ( m ), ortopazz (m ), kofsy , yuzedo, Basic (m ), Nattyguy50 ( m )

Please, take out time to comment or review. Thank you very much.
Re: Find Your Passion: How To. by jurjur: 11:03am On Oct 14, 2015
I guess we all have passion for something but sometimes fail 2 realise what it actually is. D problem so many times could be that what we have passion 4 seems far-fetched L had 2 realise. Like personally I have d great passion of working in a maritime industry but it's just not clicking yet cus of d great number of people who are into it cus it puts food on their table. Now it seems a bit far-fetched. I guess I've got to diversify

(1) (Reply)

Career in geology? / How To Make Extra Income As A 9-5 Freelancer In Nigeria / The Stress Of Having A Crush On Your Co-worker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.