Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,263 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

SLEEP PARALYSIS: "I'm Awake, But Can't Move A Muscle" - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / SLEEP PARALYSIS: "I'm Awake, But Can't Move A Muscle" (712 Views)

Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment / Build A Muscle Physique --ripped Female Abs / Is Generating A Muscle Pump Or Burn During Weight Muscle HD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

SLEEP PARALYSIS: "I'm Awake, But Can't Move A Muscle" by graciousolo(m): 9:58am On Oct 14, 2015
"Sometimes I wake up, but I can't move, I'm aware of the surroundings but I'm literally paralysed, Sometimes it seems somebody is ontop of me or somebody is coming to get me..."
Scary and unpleasant experience aiit?

If the above sounds like you, then what you have experienced is called sleep paralysis-a phenomenon where an individual wakes up during Random Eye Movement(REM) sleep. In the REM sleep stage our muscles are paralysed so we don't act our dreams, If you wake up during REM stage you are susceptible to sleep paralysis, because your muscles are paralysed, but this only carries on for few minutes.

-Misconceptions:
The misconceptions around sleep paralysis are basically around evil spirits, witches, old village woman :De.t.c that are trying to suppress us and do all kind of bad stuff to us, this is not far fetched since most people are very religious and, superstitious, so after experiencing sleep paralysis they start praying(which is not a bad thing), but this doesn't keep the fear and hypochondriac feeling away. I remember how I used to feel like I was going to die soon(in my sleep), well they say 'you shall know the truth and it shall set you free' since I became enlightened on this topic, I have experienced it about 3times, the difference now is that, when I'm fully awake I don't feel fear anymore.

Sleep paralysis is normal: It must have happened to almost everybody, even though it's a sleep disorder it shouldn't cause so much fright.

*What are the causes? It happens due to stress(mental or physical). There are probably other causes.

*How to avoid sleep paralysis:
Avoid sleeping face-up, especially when you feel stressed/tired... yeah, that simple.

The most important thing is knowing that this frightening experience will not kill you. Even if you experience it again, relax, you'll soon gain control of your muscles, it won't be your last. Take care.
Re: SLEEP PARALYSIS: "I'm Awake, But Can't Move A Muscle" by Zzyco: 10:05am On Oct 14, 2015
Good
Re: SLEEP PARALYSIS: "I'm Awake, But Can't Move A Muscle" by dulux07(m): 10:10am On Oct 14, 2015
Well said wink its normal, but wen it occurs often, its abnormal, it might b a symptom of sleeping disorders esp narcolepsy.

(1) (Reply)

Be Careful Of The Drugs You Take (photo) / Guys, Is It Proper To Shave The Chest And Belly Hairs? / 2.9m HIV Positive Nigerians Not On Treatment — EXPERTS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.