Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,550 members, 7,816,339 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:46 AM

Thomas Sankara: An Unrivalled Selfless African Leader - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thomas Sankara: An Unrivalled Selfless African Leader (2659 Views)

The World May Have Found A Sincere African Leader In PMB (picture) / Jonathan Becomes First African Leader To Win Martin Luther Human Rights Award. / Jonathan: 'Don't Handover', An African Leader Urged Me After I Lost (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thomas Sankara: An Unrivalled Selfless African Leader by Teebass001(m): 11:30pm On Oct 14, 2015
I am a Prospective Batch B corps member, awaiting my call up letter. I have some spare time on my hands. So I decided to do a write up on Thomas Sankara to commemorate the 28th anniversary of his death as well as educate those who do not know about this charismatic and iconic figure of revolution. I stumbled on the name recently too and decided to google up the name and read about him. I am a lover/student of history though not an historian. I found the biography of ‘Tom Sank’ as he is popular called and interesting one. I was completely overwhelmed with respect for this great African man. Africans need to learn to celebrate our heroes and heroines.
Thomas Sankara was president of Burkina Faso from 1983 – 1987. He was a captain in the Burkinabe army, a Pan-Africanist and a Marxist revolutionary. He was referred to as the African Che Guevara. Thomas Sankara was born on 21st Dec, 1949 and he was killed in a coup organized by his longtime friend and compatriot Blaise Compaore on Oct 15, 1987. Blaise Compaore also organized the coup that brought him to power. Thomas Sankara legacies still lives on, despite concerted effort by the government of Blaise Compaore to commit him to oblivion and erase his legacies.
Africa is a land flowing with milk and honey, a land blessed with abundance of human and mineral resources. It is quite unfortunate that the continent is grappling with underdevelopment, backwardness, abject poverty and economic crisis. Little or no appreciable progress has been made in the area of human and infrastructural development since the colonial masters left. No thanks to the selfish and the sit tight leaders that the continent has been cursed with. Greedy leaders who are only concerned about amassing gargantuan wealth that their generations unborn cannot exhaust while the rest of the masses live in abject poverty.
In an age characterized by an obvious dearth of selfless leaders, Thomas Sankara had carved a niche for himself as a man of the people, a leader who has the best interest of his people at heart. Thomas Sankara is an inspiration to many, he had left his footprints in the sand of time. He made his mark in life though he was cut off at a young age, his achievement speaks volume. A life well spent is not measure in the quantity but in its quality, it is not how far but how well.
Thomas Sankara came into power in 1983 in a popular supported coup. His goal was to eliminate corruption and reduce reliance on their former colonial master, France. He renamed the country from Upper Volta to Burkina Faso (Land of the upright). He also composed a new anthem (being an accomplished musician himself) and designed a new flag for the country.
Thomas Sankara shunned all forms of foreign aids and clamoured for debt reduction. He vehemently opposed the influence of International Monetary fund and World Bank, whom he believes further impoverish African states with their unfavorable economic policies that they imposed on them. Knowing fully well that he who pays the piper dictates the tune. He believed that Africans have what it takes to be self-reliant and should not be beggars in their own land. He was quoted as saying that “Our country produces enough to feed us. Alas, for lack of organization, we are forced to beg for food aid. It’s this aid that instills in our spirits the attitude of beggars.”
Thomas Sankara embarked on massive social and economic reforms: which led to the state stripping the local chiefs of their powers: including their right to forced labour and tribute payment as well as having their land redistributed among the peasants. This led to improvement in the standard of living of the masses and within a space of four years Burkina Faso reached food sufficiency. About 10 million trees were planted to stop the desertification of the Sahelian region of the country. And keeps the ever advancing Sahara desert in check.
In the area of health, Sankara vaccinated about 2.5 million Burkinabe within a week in a bid to eradicate Polio, Meningitis and Measles, a feat that is still unsurpassed till now. He was also the first African leader to acknowledge that Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) pandemic is a major threat to Africa as far back as the mid-80s. While Thabo Mbeki, with all the advancement in the field of science and the information available at his disposal in the 21st century denies the link between the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and AIDS. This is the reason why South Africa today has the highest prevalence rate of HIV/AIDS.
Thomas Sankara oversaw the connection of all the regions of the country by a vast road and rail system. Over 700 kilometers of rail was laid by the people themselves without any foreign aid.
Thomas Sankara could well be described as women right activist. He was the first African leader to appoint women to key cabinet positions. His government banned female genital mutilation, forced marriages and polygamy. He even encourage women to work outside the home and stay in school when pregnant. Sankara promoted contraception and encourage husbands to go market and prepare meals to experience for themselves the conditions faced by women.
In an act of solidarity with the masses, he sold off the government fleet of Mercedes cars and made the Renault 5 (which was the cheapest car in Burkina Faso at the time) the official service car of the ministers.
He reduced the salaries of well-off public servants, including his own, and forbade the use of government chauffeurs and 1st class airline tickets.
He spoke in forums like the Organization of African Unity against what he described as neo-colonialist penetration of Africa through Western trade and finance. He forced well-off civil servants to pay one month’s salary to public projects. He refused to use air conditioning in his office on the grounds that such luxury was not available to anyone but a handful of Burkinabes. As President, he lowered his salary to $450 a month and limited his possessions to a car, four bikes, three guitars, a fridge and a broken freezer. He was known for jogging unaccompanied through the streets of Ouagadougou in his track suit.
I am not trying to paint Thomas Sankara as a saint without any flaws. He had his own short comings too, after all to err is only human. There are somethings he did that could have been done in a better way. At a point he became increasingly dictatorial; he banned freedom of the press and sacked all the teachers.
His many radical reforms set him on a collision course with some vested interest, including: the Burkinabe’s middle class and foreign powers (especially France that likes meddling in the affairs of their former colonies), which eventually got him killed.
NB: Please kindly call my attention to any typos or grammatical blunders in the write up, Thanks in advance.
Adapted from: Wikipedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Sankara)

1 Share

Re: Thomas Sankara: An Unrivalled Selfless African Leader by yommyphresh(m): 11:45pm On Oct 14, 2015
Thomas Sankara African soldier!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Thomas Sankara: An Unrivalled Selfless African Leader by Shymm3x: 11:54pm On Oct 14, 2015
Selfless and a visionary but he was just too careless - hence he died with his dreams. The dreams and hopes of millions also died with him.

That's basically the problem of a lot the great black leaders - they all failed to protect themselves adequately despite knowing that they were fighting against powerful forces. And they trusted folks too easily. Sad.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thomas Sankara: An Unrivalled Selfless African Leader by Teebass001(m): 12:11am On Oct 15, 2015
[quote author=Shymm3x post=38993518]Selfless and a visionary but he was just too careless - hence he died with his dreams. The dreams and hopes of millions also died with him.

That's basically the problem of a lot the great black leaders - they all failed to protect themselves adequately despite knowing that they were fighting against powerful forces. And they trusted folks too easily. Sad.

It was quite unfortunate. I couldn't agree with you more. Infact it was like he had a foreknowledge of his death. A week before his assassination, he declared: "While revolutionaries as individuals can be murdered, you cannot kill ideas." and yet he failed to take the necessary precautions.
Re: Thomas Sankara: An Unrivalled Selfless African Leader by realborn(m): 4:30am On Oct 15, 2015
May God bless you Op.

After reading your excerpts, I read all wiki had on Thomas Sankara. I was overwhelmed. He achieved more in 4 years than his friend, coup masterminder (resulting in his death) and successor, Blaise Compaore achieved in 27 years.

Today marks 28 years of his demise. I am inspired and motivated. My favorite effort exuded by him was his decision toward agrarian sufficiency which led to food surplus from a state of inadequacy within 4 years.

His views and policies on women rights, simplistic life style, zero tolerance for corruption, local redistribution of land and abrogation of forced labour are commendable.

Apt!

2 Likes

Re: Thomas Sankara: An Unrivalled Selfless African Leader by Teebass001(m): 5:02am On Oct 15, 2015
realborn:
May God bless you Op.

After reading your excerpts, I read all wiki had on Thomas Sankara. I was overwhelmed. He achieved more in 4 years than his friend, coup masterminder (resulting in his death) and successor, Blaise Compaore achieved in 27 years.

Today marks 28 years of his demise. I am inspired and motivated. My favorite effort exuded by him was his decision toward agrarian sufficiency which led to food surplus from a state of inadequacy within 4 years.

His views and policies on women rights, simplistic life style, zero tolerance for corruption, local redistribution of land and abrogation of forced labour are commendable.

Apt!
Amen. He was a visionary leader, who has the best interest of his people at heart
Re: Thomas Sankara: An Unrivalled Selfless African Leader by pet4ril(f): 5:26am On Oct 15, 2015
Teebass001:

Amen. He was a visionary leader, who has the best interest of his people at heart
yeah, God bless you
Re: Thomas Sankara: An Unrivalled Selfless African Leader by Teebass001(m): 5:54am On Oct 15, 2015
pet4ril:
yeah, God bless you
Amen. And you too ma!! !
Re: Thomas Sankara: An Unrivalled Selfless African Leader by biafranqueen: 6:03am On Oct 15, 2015
That man is my favorite African leader I so much admire him!

2 Likes

Re: Thomas Sankara: An Unrivalled Selfless African Leader by biafranqueen: 6:15am On Oct 15, 2015
Shymm3x:
Selfless and a visionary but he was just too careless - hence he died with his dreams. The dreams and hopes of millions also died with him.

How I wish Buhari was this man. Where are these types of men in our generation? Like you pointed out he was too trusting, too bad the 48 laws of power was not out in the 80s. Where are those leaders like Africa had in the 80s?

2 Likes

Re: Thomas Sankara: An Unrivalled Selfless African Leader by IVORY2009(m): 6:32am On Oct 15, 2015
biafranqueen:
How I wish Buhari was this man. Where are these types of men in our generation? Like you pointed out he was too trusting, too bad the 48 laws of power was not out in the 80s. Where are those leaders like Africa had in the 80s?

Re: Thomas Sankara: An Unrivalled Selfless African Leader by PRYCE(m): 6:42am On Oct 15, 2015
Wow! Great!

1 Like

Re: Thomas Sankara: An Unrivalled Selfless African Leader by Agromuda(m): 6:48am On Oct 15, 2015
Thomas Sankara was truly a Hero. He had the interest of the masses at heart.His trusted allies killed him. May His Soul Continues to Rest in Peace. #ProudlyAfrican#

2 Likes

Re: Thomas Sankara: An Unrivalled Selfless African Leader by psalmuelwater(m): 8:00am On Oct 15, 2015
"Thomas sankara" the "jose mujica" of africa! This guy was a true african soldier alongside steve biko, nelson mandela, kwame nkrumah, patrice lumumba, agosthino neto, amilcar cabral, hallie sellassie etc

1 Like

Re: Thomas Sankara: An Unrivalled Selfless African Leader by Teebass001(m): 9:36am On Oct 14, 2017
It's another death anniversary of this truly great and revolutionary African Leader. Rest Tom Sank. You have left your mark on the sands of time.

(1) (Reply)

Is Democracy Really Ideal For Africa? / Breaking News- Buhari Is Back To Nigeria / Nairabet Owner Akin Alabi Announces His Political Ambition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.