Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,706 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

Fasting To Death - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Fasting To Death (10854 Views)

Fasting To Pray To God, Is It Advisable To Brush Ones Teeth In The Morning? / 'I Prayed To God, Did Dry Fasting To Cast Out The Spirit Of Homosexuality / The Important Of Fasting To Muslim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fasting To Death by huxley(m): 9:51am On Apr 28, 2009
A leading evangelical pastor in Cameroon, founder on many pentacostal churches in Cameroon and US, has died several days into a fasting marathon.  It is said that the pastor embarked on a 40+ days fasting ordeal to not only emulate his God but also to better his God's record. Unfortunately, his god was not happy with such a rude challenge from an upstart contender and snuffed the life out of him.

How funny  ironic!

Link: http://www.edennewspaper.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4535&Itemid=165
Re: Fasting To Death by Bastage: 10:30am On Apr 28, 2009
How can a death be funny, Huxley?

Would it have been as funny if an atheist had died doing the same thing?
Re: Fasting To Death by huxley(m): 10:38am On Apr 28, 2009
Bastage:

You are probably right. I erred. "Funny" is not the right word in this circumstance. I think "ironic" would have been a better word. I shall make said correction.
Re: Fasting To Death by huxley(m): 11:35am On Apr 28, 2009
Bastage:

Actually, come to think of it, I would have found it extremely amusing, ironical and hypocritical if a philosophical atheist had instead of seeking natural treatment for a medical condition had instead sought supernatural interventions and had ended up dead. Anyone who does not live by their philosophy deserved to be ridiculed and if an atheist were to resort to something as irrational as this, I will have no sympathy for him/her.
Re: Fasting To Death by JJYOU: 11:40am On Apr 28, 2009
Bastage:

him and kunle would give you a bible verse for that very soon
Re: Fasting To Death by Tonyet1(m): 12:19pm On Apr 28, 2009
[size=28pt]HUXLEY[/size]

so what else do you want from us here, to criticise the man or applaud him

yes his act was funny, but i tell you something, only funny people in the sight of man is actually wise in the sight of God

and by the way did you hear God come down to tell you that HE snuffed the man's life because he tried emulating God?

you assume too much, get a story better b4 you come down hear to critise my faith you're obsessed about

and guess what?

i imagine myself going on evangelism with you
grin
Re: Fasting To Death by huxley(m): 12:30pm On Apr 28, 2009
tonye-t:

[size=28pt]HUXLEY[/size]

so what else do you want from us here, to criticise the man or applaud him

yes his act was funny, but i tell you something, only funny people in the sight of man is actually wise in the sight of God

and by the way did you hear God come down to tell you that HE snuffed the man's life because he tried emulating God?

you assume too much, get a story better b4 you come down hear to critise my faith you're obsessed about

and guess what?

i imagine myself going on evangelism with you
grin

I thought you guys would be impressed by this miracle and that it would help strengthen your faith.
Re: Fasting To Death by Tonyet1(m): 12:33pm On Apr 28, 2009
you are very right, its strengthened my faith so much m telling you the truth

wont you join for the lunch?
Re: Fasting To Death by noetic(m): 1:59pm On Apr 28, 2009
huxley:

A leading evangelical pastor in Cameroon, founder on many pentacostal churches in Cameroon and US, has died several days into a fasting marathon.  It is said that the pastor embarked on a 40+ days fasting ordeal to not only emulate his God but also to better his God's record. Unfortunately, his god was not happy with such a rude challenge from an upstart contender and snuffed the life out of him.

How funny ironic!
any links to butress this claim.

atheism is no excuse for dishonesty .
Re: Fasting To Death by huxley(m): 2:05pm On Apr 28, 2009
noetic:

any links to butress this claim.

atheism is no excuse for dishonesty .

Well, I have not got a link. But would you believe it if you saw a link? My info comes from source close to the family of the pastor, ie, a close friend of mine is married into the family.
Re: Fasting To Death by AKO1(m): 2:24pm On Apr 28, 2009
huxley:

How funny ironic!

Source?
Re: Fasting To Death by Horus(m): 2:31pm On Apr 28, 2009
Fasting can lead to heaven Fast!!
Re: Fasting To Death by Image123(m): 4:20pm On Apr 28, 2009
Huxley,many things could have resulted to his death.people die everyday,has that ever occured to you?people have fasted for longer periods than he did i.e -<40days.There's no reason 2make issues out of it because he died while fasting.people die walking,eating,working,preparing 4 exams etc and sometimes,it may not be as a result of what they were presently doing. Anyway,it is appointed to men once to die,you just live a life that is worth it and if 'perhaps' there's an afterlife, you be prepared.
Re: Fasting To Death by tpiah: 4:27pm On Apr 28, 2009
links
Re: Fasting To Death by solosimple(m): 4:32pm On Apr 28, 2009
@Poster
Give link!
You've got so many nasty stories, are you a Christian?
Re: Fasting To Death by huxley(m): 4:43pm On Apr 28, 2009
Image123:

Huxley,many things could have resulted to his death.people die everyday,has that ever occured to you?people have fasted for longer periods than he did i.e -<40days.There's no reason 2make issues out of it because he died while fasting.people die walking,eating,working,preparing 4 exams etc and sometimes,it may not be as a result of what they were presently doing. Anyway,it is appointed to men once to die,you just live a life that is worth it and if 'perhaps' there's an afterlife, you be prepared.

I hope it comes as no surprise to you  that I know that people die.  What is ironic here is the time and manner of his death.  Fasting is supposed to be a time and period of particular closeness to god, if you believe what the christians say.  I have heard christians claim all sorts of "miracle" having happen to them as a results of having fasted.

If he had fasted and recovered from an illness, say stomach cancer, he and his kin would have broadcast it the world over as a miracle from god.  Well, this time god chose to snuff him right in the middle of his fast.  Is this a miracle too?
Re: Fasting To Death by noetic(m): 5:47pm On Apr 28, 2009
huxley:

Well, I have not got a link. But would you believe it if you saw a link? My info comes from source close to the family of the pastor, ie, a close friend of mine is married into the family.

the link would at least have established that this incident happened, but as it seems now, its obvious you have just been caught in one of ur numerous LIES u keep brandishing around against xtianity.

atheism is not an excuse for lack of morality. LYING is symbolic to moral bankruptcy.
Re: Fasting To Death by MrCrackles(m): 5:49pm On Apr 28, 2009
Poster

His time was simply up

He was destined to die whilst fasting!
Re: Fasting To Death by huxley(m): 5:52pm On Apr 28, 2009
noetic:

the link would at least have established that this incident happened, but as it seems now, its obvious you have just been caught in one of ur numerous LIES u keep brandishing around against xtianity.

atheism is not an excuse for lack of morality. LYING is symbolic to moral bankruptcy.

What proves that it is a lie?
Re: Fasting To Death by mazaje(m): 5:55pm On Apr 28, 2009
noetic:

do you want me to go ahead and show you where the bible god told people to tell lies in the bible?
Re: Fasting To Death by huxley(m): 5:59pm On Apr 28, 2009
In fact, I have just found a link here , but I initially got the news from my close friend whose brother is married to the Pastors daughter.
Re: Fasting To Death by noetic(m): 6:03pm On Apr 28, 2009
huxley:

In fact, I have just found a link here , but I initially got the news from my close friend whose brother is married to the Pastors daughter.
so u weren't lying afterall, but does that mean u aren't a liar? grin grin grin grin
Re: Fasting To Death by mazaje(m): 6:17pm On Apr 28, 2009
noetic:

so u weren't lying afterall, but does that mean u aren't a liar? grin grin grin grin

have you no shame? you accused him of lying now that he has shown you that the story is true you are now trying to duck with this lame comment. . .do you want me to show you where the biblegod urged people to tell lies in the bible. . . .
Re: Fasting To Death by tpiah: 9:05pm On Apr 28, 2009
Huxley

I hope you noticed this response in the link you provided:

It is sad what this paper is trying to put across.I know Dr Fomum and his ministry.
First i want the writer to know that Christian misssionary fellowship is in about sixty countries and more popular in Yaounde the international Headquarters than North west and South west.

And he was fasting to see people like you save and Cameroon changed.He knew that things are not changed by the parliament but by prayers.

Secondly he never died in sleep.

Thirdly he broke the fast and died later.

His death is not necessarily connected to the fasting.He was still preaching.He preached in limbe,Bafoussam and Bamenda that weekend before later he died

note the bolded!

It doesnt mean it wasnt the fast that killed him, but why not check the autopsy results before assuming so.
Re: Fasting To Death by Image123(m): 10:58pm On Apr 28, 2009
Huxley,like I initially said,many things could have resulted in his death.people die everyday,christians and unbelievers.There's something more painful than death.Death for a child of God is a passage to eternal bliss.The sting of death is sin,only sinners are hopeless at death.Whether one dies after drinking coke/pepsi or after fasting isn't the big issue,the big issue is where will you go when you die?would you have been more at peace if he died doing something less spiritual,like stealing
Re: Fasting To Death by tpiah: 2:56am On Apr 29, 2009
I've actually heard stories of people dying after breaking a prolonged fast, but I dont know if the rumors are true or not.
Re: Fasting To Death by Horus(m): 9:35am On Apr 29, 2009
noetic:

Well if you accused him of lying then you should produce the Facts and a proof of the alleged lie.
Where are your facts
Re: Fasting To Death by noetic(m): 2:01pm On Apr 29, 2009
Horus:

Well if you accused him of lying then you should produce the Facts and a proof of the alleged lie.
Where are your facts
cant u get simple english?

he made a claim without proof. . . .that literarily mean he was lying, considering his antecedents.

when he provided evidence, he proved he wasnt lying. . . simple.
Re: Fasting To Death by ladybam(f): 2:43pm On Apr 29, 2009
y should he try and battle wid God. hmmmmm. . . . was'nt a good idea
Re: Fasting To Death by Horus(m): 2:49pm On Apr 29, 2009
noetic:

he made a claim without proof. . . .that literarily mean he was lying, considering his antecedents.

when he provided evidence, he proved he wasnt lying. . . simple.

So why did you accused him of lying the first time because you didnt provided evidence that he was lying in the first time?
Why are you accusing without proofs of a lie FIRST?.
Re: Fasting To Death by huxley(m): 1:50pm On Apr 30, 2009
Another write-up of the saga follows:

Zacharias Tanee Fomum:
Born Again Prophet succumbs to 70-day prayer fast!

The committed and firing evangelist Fomum had a following of 10,000 born again Christians spread over 700 congregations across Cameroon. His activities took him abroad where he implanted his church in 60 countries. He died on Saturday completely exhausted by a 70-day prayer fast. He was also professor of Organic Chemistry at the University of Yaounde 1

By Takang Bisong in Yaounde

The estimated 10,000 adherence of the Christian Missionary Fellowship International (CMFI) with headquarters in Obili Yaounde are mourning the passing of their leader Zacharias Tanee Fomum who died on Saturday. Fomum died at the Yaounde University Teaching Hospital (CHU) of exhaustion following a 70-day prayer fast.

He had collapsed in Bamenda the day before soon after he arrived there for an evangelical activity.

At the Yaounde headquarters at Obili where born again members met, Sunday, the mood was sad and solemn and the pastors were contemplating how the work will continue with the passing of their leader.

This reporter was told that Fomum said he was told spiritually to end the 80 day fast on the 70th day.

The fast was intended to combat Buddhism, Islamism and Communism which adherents said are the major cause of poverty in Cameroon.

Zacharias Fomum was a profoundly committed evangelist who claimed that he received a word to take the gospel to the furthest regions of Cameroon and to all countries of the world.

He founded the Christian Missionary Fellowship International in 1975. He created 700 congregations that presently attract 10,000 members in Cameroon.

He travelled abroad frequently where he established his church in about 60 countries of the world.

Fomum wrote more than 100 books and pamphlets on prayer, missions, leadership, Christian living and services.

Fomum rose to the rank of a prophet in his church and was called prophet Fomum. Besides his evangelical work, Fomum lectured Organic Chemistry at the University of Yaounde 1 where he rose to be professor.

He earned a doctorate in Organic Chemistry in Sierra Leone where, he said, he received his convention and calling to his spiritual task. He was born in 1945 and hailed from Momo division of the North West region of Cameroon.

As we went to press yesterday evening, we had information that he would be buried today.
Source: http://www.theheraldcameroon.com/

Taken at face value, is it true that the cause of the problems of Cameroon are Buddhism, communism and Islam?
Re: Fasting To Death by spoilt(f): 3:29am On Apr 24, 2010
Its funny.
Why would a mere mortal embark on a forty day dry fast?

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion? / Bible Scholars Should Help Me Out With This Teachings. PLEASE. / Keys To Experiencing God's Wonders Through Praise.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.