Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,146 members, 7,811,237 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:19 AM

Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? (27271 Views)

What Is The Black Man's Obsession With This Man? / Who Is This Man TB Joshua??? / Who Is This Man Called Tudor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by donnie(m): 3:45pm On Oct 29, 2005
Hebrews 7:1-4

For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God,  who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;  To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace; Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.  Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.

I studied about this man a few months after i gave my heart to christ. I was asked to do this study as an assignment in my foundation school. I tell you, it will refresh you to understand who he is and the significance of your discovery will amaze you.

From what i got, He was no ordinary man. He had no father or mother nor was he from any natural descent. He had no beginnig  or end of life.

Most shocking is the fact that he was called,'King of Peace' whereas Jesus was refered to in the scriptures as the 'Prince of Peace'. (Isiah 9:6).

Well, let me give you some more clues that i got:

Matthew 1:18 - "Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost."   

Acts 13:33 - "God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee. "

Revelation 1:5 - "And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead... "

Rom  8:11- "[i]But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the d[/i]ead dwell in you..."

My discovery gave me explanations as to who the forth man in the fire with shadrach, Meshach and Abednego was (Daniel 3:25); who the man Jacob wrestled with was (Gen 32:24); who the scriptures refered to as the Lord among the visitors that visited Abraham at his home (Gen 18); and who the scriptures refered to as the Angel of His Presence in Isaiah 63:9-10.

I think you can now deduce from the above clues, what my conclusion is  ...What is yours?
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by layi(m): 4:16pm On Oct 29, 2005
He could have been no other person but The Holy Spirit, The Executive Arm of the GodHead, The angel of God's Presence, The second Person of The Trinity, The Latter Day Rain...
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by donnie(m): 6:02pm On Oct 30, 2005
Thank you for your post.

I think our opinions are the same.

The Holy Spirit however, is the third person of the God head and not the second as you had said. This is because He is the third to be revealed to the church, after God the father and Jesus the son.

Nevertheless, He is the first to be revealed by the Holy scriptures in the book of Genesis 1:2. He is co-equal with God the father and does not need to recieve power from God for He is the power of God.
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by SirKay3(m): 7:54pm On Oct 30, 2005
You are both right. My Pastor once had a bible teaching on this same topic before
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by Greatpeter(m): 11:45pm On Oct 30, 2005
Having studied the man Melchisedec, you will see that he has virtually all the attributes of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
I believe he's no other person than the Prince of Peace Himslf.

You could recall, that Jesus said, Before Abraham was I was.
I strongly believe that that Melchisedec is our Lord Jesus Himself.
I have alot to say about this, but let us go by and by.
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by Oracle(m): 6:06am On Oct 31, 2005
well ur right every indication points to the fact
that he is GOD HIMSELF
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by donnie(m): 7:01pm On Oct 31, 2005
G. Peter,

I would have agreed fully with you, but these are my reservations:

I believe that Jesus was never a seperate entity from the father until He was born in Bethlehem. He existed as the Word of the father. The one refered to as the voice of God walking in the garden:

Gen 3:8 -"And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day..."

John 1:1 - "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. " 

He was the very Word of the father that became (tabernacled in) flesh:

John 1:14-" And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth..."

The reason Melchisadech is seen to have the same attributes with Jesus is that He is the Holy Spirit personified.

Jesus, refering to the Holy Ghost said," And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive because it seeth Him not..." (Jn 14:16,17)

There are two greek words used for the word 'another'. The first is: 'allous' translated as another of exactly the same kind and the second is 'hetteros' translated another of a different kind. What jesus actually said in the scriptures is : He shall give you 'allous paracletous'. Another of exactly the same kind in look and quality.

That is why the one in the fire with the three hebrew kids was said to look like the son of God.

The same word that created the whole universe is the same Word that formed Jesus. That is why his life is divine. He had always been in the bossom of the father until His Birth. That is why there was so much joy among the angels of heaven at His birth. They had seen the Word of the father which they had known for long now tabernacled in human flesh, a seperate entity, for the first time.

The Word which was recieved by Mary, working with the Holy spirit that came upon her brought about Jesus.

The bible called Melchisadech the KING OF PEACE and not the PRINCE OF PEACE.

Jesus did not say,"before Abraham i was". He said,"before Abraham I AM"

Refering to the Introduction of God to moses:

Exodus 3:14 - "And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you."

That is the reason they pickd up stones to stone Him; He was saying, " I am God" !

They will have just laughed at Him and called Him a mad man if all He was saying was that He was alive as a man before Abraham.

Besides, Jesus existed before the world began as the Word of the father.

yeah...lets go by n by. smiley

1 Like

Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by Greatpeter(m): 7:12pm On Oct 31, 2005
I will not agree with you in totality that Melchisedec is the holy spirit.
In the old testament, holy spirit did not abide the people of God.
He comes, uses you and then leave.

This account was recorded in New testament but was reffering to the
incidence that had happened in the Old testament during Abraham days before the
birth of Jesus Christ.

i still strongly believe that He was Jesus Christ.
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by donnie(m): 4:14pm On Nov 01, 2005
Thanx G.Peter for your response.

However i did not  get  your point here:

"In the old testament, holy spirit did not abide the people of God.
He comes, uses you and then leave.
"

I believe that as well. I did not say that Melchisadech had the Holy Spirit abiding in Him. He was actually a manifestaion of the Holy Spirit Himself. What i am saying really is that there are certain manifestaions of God  in the Old testament scriptures that  could not be said to be manifestaions of the father himself as He  never leaves His throne; or the son; since at that time He existed as the Word of the father and not yet a seperate entity from the father.

Those manifestaions  could most comfortably be attributed to  the Holy spirit who according to the scriptures is the Angel of God's presence ( Isaiah 63:9-10).  He is the messenger of God's  presence...the one who takes the presence of the father and of Jesus from place to place; to wherever that presence is needed. The Holy spirit is described as  that which proceeds from the father:

John 15:26 - "But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even[i] the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father[/i], he shall testify of me"

...He comes out of the  father.

Many times as in the case of Moses before The Angel in the burning bush, when the bible uses the term The Angel of the Lord, we  should be careful 'because it could be refering  to the Angel of His presence, the Holy Spirit.

Likewise, the man who stood before Josuah, with his sword  drawn...who cammanded Josuah to take of His shoes and who introduced Himself as  the captain of the Lord's host was  the Holy spirit of God.

He manifested himself many times, sometimes as a man, in the old testament.

Sometimes people see visons of Jesus... or they may experience some manifestaion of God. It is the Holy spirit  that  makes such  visions and manifestaions  possible. He brings the presence of God and of the Lord Jesus to us.

Jesus is in heaven  but the Holy spirit brings the presence of Jesus to us and puts that presence in us. But the three persons are one and the same God. Halleluyah! smiley

1 Like

Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by goodguy(m): 9:54am On Nov 11, 2005
Very Interesting I must say. So what were the roles of this man in the Bible apart from him being the KING OF PEACE, not having a beginning or an end, etc..
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by donnie(m): 2:14pm On Nov 12, 2005
He is one of the many manifestations of the Holy Spirit in the Holy scritures. The Bible told us in Heb 7 that He remains a priest for ever. And also tells us that Jesus was raised a priest forever after the order of melchiadech.

That means that while we have the Holy Spirit indwelling us as our intercessor and strengthner forever, Jesus remains our intercessor in the presence of the father forever, inteceeding for us.
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by pie1ect(m): 8:32pm On Nov 18, 2005
Very interesting and enlightening, I must say. I always believed he was Jesus Christ though.
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by chrisd(m): 3:56pm On Dec 23, 2005
You all saying bullshit, No holy spirit or Jesus or god. Amazes me how stupid some people get
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by chrisd(m): 4:02pm On Dec 23, 2005
Abraham had defeated King Chedorlaomer and the other three allied kings, and then was met by Melchizedek, the Canaanite King of Salem and “a priest of God Most High.” (Interestingly, the word Melchizedek means, “My king is righteousness,” and Salem, “peace.” ) Melchizedek presented bread and wine to Abraham, and blessed him with these words: “blessed be Abram by God Most High, the creator of Heaven and earth; and blessed be God Most High, who delivered your foes into your hand” (Genesis 14:19-20). Keep in mind that bread and wine were customarily offered in sacrifice among the “first fruits” of the earth in thanksgiving to the Creator. Although Melchizedek is technically a pagan priest, he recognizes the one supreme deity, using the title, “God Most High,” just as the Jewish people would. Accepting this blessing and offering, Abraham gives to Melchizedek a tithe of one-tenth the booty from his campaign. After this encounter, however, Melchizedek disappears from the Genesis story.

Melchizedek is mentioned again in Psalm 110: “The Lord has sworn, and he will not repent: You are a priest forever, according to the order of Melchizedek” (110:4). This psalm is considered one of the most important of the Messianic psalms, identifying the forthcoming Messiah, our Lord Jesus Christ, as King, Priest, and Conqueror.

Perhaps St. Paul, the traditional author of the Letter to the Hebrews, was the greatest promoter of Melchizedek. (See Chapters 5-9.) St. Paul used the person of Melchizedek to illustrate the doctrine of the sacrificial priesthood as established by Christ. St. Paul begins, “Every high priest is taken from among men and made their representative before God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins” (Hebrews 5:1). Despite human weakness, a man is called by God to be a priest.

St. Paul then compares and contrasts the priesthood of Melchizedek with that of Aaron, the Levitical Priesthood: The priesthood of Aaron was based on his ancestry from Abraham. The priests following Aaron were of his family, the House of Levi, and appointed priests because of their heredity. Also, these priests offered the sacrifices of the Old Covenant.
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by donnie(m): 6:02pm On Dec 23, 2005
chrisd:

Abraham had defeated King Chedorlaomer and the other three allied kings, and then was met by Melchizedek, the Canaanite King of Salem and “a priest of God Most High.” (Interestingly, the word Melchizedek means, “My king is righteousness,” and Salem, “peace.” ) Melchizedek presented bread and wine to Abraham, and blessed him with these words: “blessed be Abram by God Most High, the creator of Heaven and earth; and blessed be God Most High, who delivered your foes into your hand” (Genesis 14:19-20). Keep in mind that bread and wine were customarily offered in sacrifice among the “first fruits” of the earth in thanksgiving to the Creator. Although Melchizedek is technically a pagan priest

He was not a pagan priest...what do you mean by pagan? The bible calls him,"priest of the most high God"! How could He be pagan when he was called priest of the most high God

chrisd:

he recognizes the one supreme deity, using the title, “God Most High,” just as the Jewish people would. Accepting this blessing and offering, Abraham gives to Melchizedek a tithe of one-tenth the booty from his campaign. After this encounter, however, Melchizedek disappears from the Genesis story.

This is not just a story or myth...it actually happened. Where did he disappear to?

chrisd:

Melchizedek is mentioned again in Psalm 110: “The Lord has sworn, and he will not repent: You are a priest forever, according to the order of Melchizedek” (110:4). This psalm is considered one of the most important of the Messianic psalms, identifying the forthcoming Messiah, our Lord Jesus Christ, as King, Priest, and Conqueror.

Thank you ...the question is 'who was melchisadech?'

chrisd:

Perhaps St. Paul, the traditional author of the Letter to the Hebrews, was the greatest promoter of Melchizedek. (See Chapters 5-9.) St. Paul used the person of Melchizedek to illustrate the doctrine of the sacrificial priesthood as established by Christ. St. Paul begins, “Every high priest is taken from among men and made their representative before God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins” (Hebrews 5:1). Despite human weakness, a man is called by God to be a priest.

St. Paul then compares and contrasts the priesthood of Melchizedek with that of Aaron, the Levitical Priesthood: The priesthood of Aaron was based on his ancestry from Abraham. The priests following Aaron were of his family, the House of Levi, and appointed priests because of their heredity. Also, these priests offered the sacrifices of the Old Covenant.

So what is your point?  Who is this man who had no father or mother? ...who walked on this earth and was called a priest of the most high God.King of peace and a priest for ever?

If you are refering to some bible commentry, understand that some of those commentries are from people who do not even believe in Jesus.people who are just scholarly, lacking the Spirit. So be careful to distinguish between commentry and bible.
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by chrisd(m): 6:06pm On Dec 23, 2005
Bullshit, he was a pagan priest. Wake up, no holy spirit at all. There were other priests around the places of Sogom and Gomorrah.
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by layi(m): 3:31pm On Dec 24, 2005
chrisd:

You all saying bullshit, No holy spirit or Jesus or god. Amazes me how stupid some people get

R u sure u have been baptised in the Holy Spirit? Its not evident in ur choice of language anyway.
U might know the scriptures but do you know the author?
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by stimulus(m): 2:54pm On Apr 06, 2007
donnie:

Many times as in the case of Moses before The Angel in the burning bush, when the bible uses the term The Angel of the Lord, we should be careful 'because it could be refering to the Angel of His presence, the Holy Spirit.

Likewise, the man who stood before Josuah, with his sword drawn, who cammanded Josuah to take of His shoes and who introduced Himself as the captain of the Lord's host was the Holy spirit of God.

I'm not quite sure that The Angel of the LORD in the OT is to be interpreted as the Holy Spirit. When one compares all related Scriptures speaking of Him, there's only One who bears that appellation - the Lord Jesus Christ Himself.
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by trinigirl1(f): 3:17pm On Apr 06, 2007
I'm alarmed at the level of error on this thread! undecided

Melchisidek was the King of Salem, and a pagan priest.

Perhaps Christ was not named a  high priest after the order of Aaron, according to Levitical priesthood because it was pre ordained that Christ would represent the sinner as well as the chosen tribes of Israel.

Christ's lineage was not even from the tribe of Levi, but Judah.

His order was after the order of Melchisedek, the King of Peace, having no mother or father, no royal lineage, but pagan.
Even so, Christ came and became sin, he who knew no sin, and has created a better way.
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by stimulus(m): 3:33pm On Apr 06, 2007
trini_girl:

I'm alarmed at the level of error on this thread! undecided

Melchisidek was the King of Salem, and a pagan priest.

What do you mean by "pagan priest"?

trini_girl:

His order was after the order of Melchisedek, the King of Peace, having no mother or father, no royal lineage, but pagan.

The Bible does not represent Melchizedek as "pagan".
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by TayoD(m): 4:34pm On Apr 06, 2007
@topic,

Fist of all, I think the word 'pagan' is being used to mean 'gentile.'  That being said, I am more in agreement with the guy who refered to Melchizedek as a 'pagan' priest.

Melchizedek was a mere man. He wasn't God the Father, God the Son nor was he God the Spirit. He was not an Angel either. Melchizedek was a man who ruled as a king over Salem (probably ancient Jerusalme) and was also a Priest of the Most High God. There is no evidence at all in scripture to think he is anything other than a mere man.

While I know what you all will refer to as evidence he is divine, I will certainly show you why I believe those phrases should not lead to the conclusion you arrived at.  I look forward to a good exchange.
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by stimulus(m): 4:39pm On Apr 06, 2007
TayoD:

Fist of all, I think the word 'pagan' is being used to mean 'gentile.' That being said, I am more in agreement with the guy who refered to Melchizedek as a 'pagan' priest.

That was why I asked in the first place, because the word "pagan" is largely misleading.
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by mrmayor(m): 3:51pm On Jun 04, 2007
Where did Mr Melchisedec com from,since he had no mother or father,obviously wasn't created like Adam and Eve;there is also no evidence that he died because he had no end.He just appeared,became a Priest/King of Salem and disappeared just like that
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by Drusilla(f): 5:28pm On Jun 04, 2007
I have long said that one of the silliest ideas to come from the interpretation of the bible by "Europeans", is that God only worked with the Jews and now only with Christians. It served their purposes to present God as only with Jews and thus now only with Christians. Thus making them -- the divinely chosen race of God.

The bible itself does not tell that lie but shows that God worked with all people's of the world long before there was even a country called Israel.

I love Israel, don't get me wrong. I want to be in heavenly Jerusalem like Abraham.

Yet the bible is clear and bright that God's plan began with regular people who were not Jews or Levites or Israeli citizens.

Melchisidek, Adam, Eve, Enoch, Noah, etc are all proof of the fact that God was working with Gentiles long before the Levitical priesthood came.
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by TayoD(m): 10:57pm On Jun 04, 2007
@Drusilla,

I have long said that one of the silliest ideas to come from the interpretation of the bible by "Europeans", is that God only worked with the Jews and now only with Christians. It served their purposes to present God as only with Jews and thus now only with Christians. Thus making them -- the divinely chosen race of God.
The bible itself does not tell that lie but shows that God worked with all people's of the world long before there was even a country called Israel.
I love Israel, don't get me wrong. I want to be in heavenly Jerusalem like Abraham.
Yet the bible is clear and bright that God's plan began with regular people who were not Jews or Levites or Israeli citizens.
Melchisidek, Adam, Eve, Enoch, Noah, etc are all proof of the fact that God was working with Gentiles long before the Levitical priesthood came.
I understand your setiments though I have no clue why anyone will think God was never at work in other nations as well. We see God at work in and using the gentiles for His glory throughout the scripture. I will like to begin from the time of Abraham since he was the first Hebrew. The list could go on an on but notable among them are Melchizedek, Balaam (the mad prophet), the Centurion and Cornelius are examples in the New Testament.
Despite the fact that God worked in and through these gentiles, the dinstiction of the Jews is clear. In His conversation with the woman at the well, Jesus made it clear that worshipping God is not what dinstinguish the Jews from others, rather what dinstinguish them is this: Salvation is of the Jews! That is why Paul further taught that Isreal is the natural branch while everyone else are just wild olives that were grafted in!
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by Grouppoint(m): 12:16pm On Jun 07, 2007
Melchisedek was a type of Christ. In so much as Joseph was also a type of Christ.
This different from being a maifestation of God.

God, at several times in the bible, showed us a type of things to come. Just as Jonah in the belly of the whale for 3 days, or Joseph in the pit for 3 days.

If you draw the melchisedec Christ analogy, you will se how or whyMelchisedek was only a type of Christ.

Melchisedec was:
King of salem(or king of Peace) . Jesus is the (Prince of Peace)

Priest of the most High God. A priest is a mediator between God and Man. (Just like Christ is even today)

having no begining or end of days. (Eternal, everlasting) Just as Jesus

He gave Abraham bread and Wine. (Body and Blood) Just as Christ gave us his body and blood to partake.

He recieved tithe form Abraham. (Just as Christians pay their tithes to Christ through the church).

So you can see that he was a type of the things to come.
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by lafile(m): 1:11pm On Jun 07, 2007
@All
Question still remains.
Was melchisedec a member of the trinity manifested on earth or
Was melchisedec a mere man who's life was used to reflect Christ as per typology?

And what does the bible mean by saying
"For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually" Heb 7:1-3
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by Oracle(m): 2:22pm On Jun 07, 2007
lafile:

@All
Question still remains.
Was melchisedec a member of the trinity manifested on earth or
Was melchisedec a mere man who's life was used to reflect Christ as per typology?

Question 1
Melchisedec is not just a member of the trinity, he represents the totality of the Trinity.
note that the trinity refers to one person which is GOD in three different forms.
So melchisedec is GOD

Question 2
A man could not attain such perfection, such immortality so pure.
It had to be a supernatural force beyond human comprehension which is GOD
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by barikade: 2:31pm On Jun 07, 2007
Oracle:

Question 1
Melchisedec is not just a member of the trinity, he represents the totality of the Trinity.
note that the trinity refers to one person which is GOD in three different forms.
So melchisedec is GOD

shocked shocked

Gen. 14:18 -- And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by thesilent1(m): 3:11pm On Jun 07, 2007
[and he was the priest of the most high God./quote]

so from what my little brain is telling me, this tells me that he was not God
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by Oracle(m): 3:31pm On Jun 07, 2007
Jesus is mostly refered to as "Son of God" but would you argue that he's not God?

The bible is not just there for you to read and interpret directly.

There are prophecies and mysteries that need to be unravled.
Re: Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? by barikade: 3:42pm On Jun 07, 2007
@thesilent1,

thesilent1:

so from what my little brain is telling me, this tells me that he was not God

I don't think the Bible teaches that Melchizedek was God.  smiley

@Oracle,

Oracle:

Jesus is mostly refered to as "Son of God" but would you argue that he's not God?

I have never argued against the deity of Jesus Christ. Perhaps you have done so in the past, no?

Oracle:

The bible is not just there for you to read and interpret directly.

As long as one interpretes the Bible correctly and not read their own thoughts into it.

Oracle:

There are prophecies and mysteries that need to be unravled.

That is why we are waiting for them to be unravelled; rather than just making open-ended statements.  smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Saw A Mermaid And Merman Having Sex / 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church / Father Mbaka Invokes God's Judgement On Those Who Speak Evil Against Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.