Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,639 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo (2053 Views)

Igbo Traders In Kano Protest Killings Of Kinsmen / Biafra: Cross River Issues Stern Warning Against Protest - the Nation / Picture Of Eze Ndigbo Of Kano With Sanusi. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by Movic1(m): 10:55am On Oct 15, 2015
MARKETS across the Ondo State capital Akure have been operating below par as Igbo traders shut up shop in protest at the ongoing dispute between traditional rulers the Deji of Akure and the Eze Ndigbo.
Earlier this week, Sir Gregory Iloehike was enthroned as the Eze Ndigbo of Akure in his own palace but the Deji, Oba Aladetoyinbo Odundun II opposed the move saying the city cannot have two traditional rulers. He subsequently marched to the Eze Ndigbo's palace and asked that it be shut down.
Regarded as the leader of Igbos in Akure, the Eze Ndigbo, who is the deputy national president of Ndi Eze’N’Association of Uzo Ije in Diaspora, was actually originally named to the position in August 2011 but only just assumed the title. With the Deji of Akure adamant that he will dethrone , Sir Iloehike, Igbos in the city have decided to shut down their shops in protest.
Early this morning, Ndigbo, who converged on their secretariat at Gbogi Street as early as 7am, warned the Deji of Akure against dethroning the Eze Ndigbo. They insisted that the traditional ruler has no power to dethrone Sir Iloehike, who is the head of the migrant community, not under him.
Oba Odundun II had accused the Eze Ndigbo of insubordination and disrespect. However, Sir Iloehike said he was not rude to the Deji, adding that he contributed immensely to the monarch’s installation.
Sir Iloehike added: “The Deji called me at 8.48pm last Sunday inviting me to his palace and I honoured his invitation on Monday morning. I went with one of my chiefs but when I got to the palace, I saw youths numbering over 200 who started shouting as I entered.
“I suspected that they were mobilised by the monarch and I showed respect to him by prostrating but the monarch threatened to drive out the Igbo from Akure and when I asked why, the youth descended on me. They tore my beads and removed my crown and they attempted to beat me but the police officers at the palace rescued me.”
He said Igbos had been living harmoniously in Akure for over 70 years without any friction with the natives and urged the Deji-in-council not to cause any inter-ethnic crisis in the state. High Chief Okechukwu Okorie, the president of Ohaneze Ndigbo, maintained that any attempt to dethrone the Eze Ndigbo would be resisted by the Igbo.
Chief Okorie noted that Sir Iloehike has not committed any offence. He added that only the Igbo who elected Sir Iloehike have the right to remove him.
Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by ERAKAMUS: 10:58am On Oct 15, 2015
Hee.gbos get wahala sha.
Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by simplycarro: 11:06am On Oct 15, 2015
Na hunger go kill them grin

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by captainflash(m): 11:09am On Oct 15, 2015
simplycarro:
Smh what tribe are u?
Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by simplycarro: 11:12am On Oct 15, 2015
captainflash:
Smh what tribe are u?
Shataaappp yibow

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by captainflash(m): 11:16am On Oct 15, 2015
simplycarro:
Shataaappp yibow
mtcheeeew!
Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by winniz: 11:20am On Oct 15, 2015
Movic1:
MARKETS across the Ondo State capital Akure have been operating below par as Igbo traders shut up shop in protest at the ongoing dispute between traditional rulers the Deji of Akure and the Eze Ndigbo.
Earlier this week, Sir Gregory Iloehike was enthroned as the Eze Ndigbo of Akure in his own palace but the Deji, Oba Aladetoyinbo Odundun II opposed the move saying the city cannot have two traditional rulers. He subsequently marched to the Eze Ndigbo's palace and asked that it be shut down.
Regarded as the leader of Igbos in Akure, the Eze Ndigbo, who is the deputy national president of Ndi Eze’N’Association of Uzo Ije in Diaspora, was actually originally named to the position in August 2011 but only just assumed the title. With the Deji of Akure adamant that he will dethrone , Sir Iloehike, Igbos in the city have decided to shut down their shops in protest.
Early this morning, Ndigbo, who converged on their secretariat at Gbogi Street as early as 7am, warned the Deji of Akure against dethroning the Eze Ndigbo. They insisted that the traditional ruler has no power to dethrone Sir Iloehike, who is the head of the migrant community, not under him.
Oba Odundun II had accused the Eze Ndigbo of insubordination and disrespect. However, Sir Iloehike said he was not rude to the Deji, adding that he contributed immensely to the monarch’s installation.
Sir Iloehike added: “The Deji called me at 8.48pm last Sunday inviting me to his palace and I honoured his invitation on Monday morning. I went with one of my chiefs but when I got to the palace, I saw youths numbering over 200 who started shouting as I entered.
“I suspected that they were mobilised by the monarch and I showed respect to him by prostrating but the monarch threatened to drive out the Igbo from Akure and when I asked why, the youth descended on me. They tore my beads and removed my crown and they attempted to beat me but the police officers at the palace rescued me.”

He said Igbos had been living harmoniously in Akure for over 70 years without any friction with the natives and urged the Deji-in-council not to cause any inter-ethnic crisis in the state. High Chief Okechukwu Okorie, the president of Ohaneze Ndigbo, maintained that any attempt to dethrone the Eze Ndigbo would be resisted by the Igbo.
Chief Okorie noted that Sir Iloehike has not committed any offence. He added that only the Igbo who elected Sir Iloehike have the right to remove him.

The Yoruba Oba mobilised over 200 Yorubas to attack just two people, what a shame!

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by ODUBEZE: 11:26am On Oct 15, 2015
Movic1:
Earlier this week, Sir Gregory Iloehike was enthroned as the Eze Ndigbo of Akure in his own palace but the Deji, Oba Aladetoyinbo Odundun II opposed the move saying the city cannot have two traditional rulers. He subsequently marched to the Eze Ndigbo's pa lace and asked that it be shut down.
Power can intoxicate!
This two position are separate entities! The traditional rulers that are suppose to be the preacher of peace, have turn to trouble makers.
Deji of Akure should let peace reign. Stop instigating Nigerians against each other.
Be warned!
Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by Warlord3000(m): 11:31am On Oct 15, 2015
Shebi na dem go lose their daily income..

So who cares cheesy

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by ProfessorPeter(m): 11:32am On Oct 15, 2015
What concern VC with the president of Akwa Ibom State Students Union? Does VC has power to remove the president of Akwa ibom State Students Union? If answer is no, then the Deji of Akure is wrong. Disintegration is the option

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by Nicklaus(m): 11:48am On Oct 15, 2015
To what end is this nonsense? I must confess my disappointment in the Deji, he stooped too low to do that. Without any disagreement you suddenly woke up with a hateful and tribal sentiment.

Could it be fear ? But fear of what ? There has been no threat to his throne. The igbos are doing their thing, why won't he let em be !

That says a lot on how solecistic that Oba is. Obas take actions for reasonable and noble causes, but this is a sheer case of a repressed bigotry.

Cowards !

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by Nicklaus(m): 11:51am On Oct 15, 2015
ERAKAMUS:
Hee.gbos get wahala sha.
how Did you read the post Read again and tell me who get the wahala.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by BlackrulesDworld(m): 12:09pm On Oct 15, 2015
Shut their shops at whose detriment? The pronouncement as been made and can never be reversed.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by size40: 1:00pm On Oct 15, 2015
BlackrulesDworld:
Shut their shops at whose detriment? The pronouncement as been made and can never be reversed.
Yes oooo. They should go to their place to do their Eze.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by size40: 1:12pm On Oct 15, 2015
Nicklaus:
To what end is this nonsense? I must confess my disappointment in the Deji, he stooped too low to do that. Without any disagreement you suddenly woke up with a hateful and tribal sentiment.

Could it be fear ? But fear of what ? There has been no threat to his throne. The igbos are doing their thing, why won't he let em be !

That says a lot on how solecistic that Oba is. Obas take actions for reasonable and noble causes, but this is a sheer case of a repressed bigotry.

Cowards !
He was made Eze Indigbo by few traders in d market does not make him an equal to the Deji or his throne. U should understand that. That is why Nigerians need to go to school to understand cultural relativism in our society. Respect d culture of others if u need to be respected. If was there at d time of flogging this so called Eze Indigbo, I would have introduced to them a particular Cain we use in my community to flog disrespectful community members called" Ere kenke". After flogging d Eze with this "Ere kenke", he will renounce his EzeEzeship there instantly

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by Nicklaus(m): 1:31pm On Oct 15, 2015
size40:

He was made Eze Indigbo by few traders in d market does not make him an equal to the Deji or his throne. U should understand that. That is why Nigerians need to go to school to understand cultural relativism in our society. Respect d culture of others if u need to be respected. If was there at d time of flogging this so called Eze Indigbo, I would have introduced to them a particular Cain we use in my community to flog disrespectful community members called" Ere kenke". After flogging d Eze with this "Ere kenke", he will renounce his EzeEzeship there instantly
I most certainly don't understand your angle but i believe I grasped sth. So answer this queston.....how does accepting the Deji's invitation a disrespect

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by WIZGUY69(m): 1:58pm On Oct 15, 2015
The question is : What's pursuing iboes from alaibo?

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by redsconsult(m): 2:07pm On Oct 15, 2015
Ko le si oba meji laaafin... The useless eze wore crown to the palace of deji of akure against the custom of the land and he was mandated to remove them which we know the sturborn headed flat headed king refuses and he was made to pay by crios flogging ... Move to your Biafra land and stop causing trouble in another mans land.
The truth is that yeebos lack respect. If they can wake their parents up from sleep with slaps and kicks don't know who else you want them to reapect

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by Nobody: 2:28pm On Oct 15, 2015
simplycarro:

Hhaaaaaa! Can an Eze Ndigbo enter into the Palace of the Emir of Kano with his crown? If he isn't skewed like a pig, atleast he would be roasted like an agama suya grin

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by superstar1(m): 2:32pm On Oct 15, 2015
I hope some people will not be suyanised to Amadioha, to join their over 3million f00lish and gullible ancestors.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by seunny4lif(m): 2:35pm On Oct 15, 2015
grin grin grin
Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by 7lives: 3:03pm On Oct 15, 2015
ODUBEZE:

Power can intoxicate!
This two position are separate entities! The traditional rulers that are suppose to be the preacher of peace, have turn to trouble makers.
Deji of Akure should let peace reign. Stop instigating Nigerians against each other.
Be warned!

So Igbo's are now Nigerians, what a pity.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by ArodeTsolaye: 8:22pm On Oct 15, 2015
size40:

Raymondeyi come see your fellow 'rivers man'. Abeg can anyone remind us the group of people that pronounce 'Ndigbo' as 'Indigbo' with their accent. Na so rivers people dey pronouce 'Ndigbo'? grin

cc Rose2014, anambradota, patrick89, winniz.
Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by IGBOSON1: 8:38pm On Oct 15, 2015
ArodeTsolaye:

Raymondeyi come see your fellow 'rivers man'. Abeg can anyone remind us the group of people that pronounce 'Ndigbo' as 'Indigbo' with their accent. Na so rivers people dey pronouce 'Ndigbo'

cc Rose2014, anambradota, patrick89, winniz.

^^^Forget that diseased sewer rat! I've always known the bastard wasn't from Rivers state!
Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by ODUBEZE: 12:22pm On Oct 16, 2015
7lives:

So Igbo's are now Nigerians, what a pity.
U go school at all? because the last time I checked, Nigeria is still made up of Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by ODUBEZE: 12:35pm On Oct 16, 2015
redsconsult:
Ko le si oba meji laaafin... The useless eze wore crown to the palace of deji of akure against the custom of the land and he was mandated to remove them which we know the sturborn headed flat headed king refuses and he was made to pay by crios flogging ... Move to your Biafra land and stop causing trouble in another mans land.
The truth is that yeebos lack respect. If they can wake their parents up from sleep with slaps and kicks don't know who else you want them to reapect
kai! I don't blame U sha. Its because Ndigbo are peace loving people.
If to say na Hausa man, him go don bring out him dagger both U and your king go dey look for where una go hide!
Y do U people like looking for trouble where there is peace?
Go everywhere in Nigeria, even abroad, due to the nature of Igbos' to migrate, they always have a leader who happens to be the king they go to and that represents them.
They are very busy people who does not have time to rub shoulder with anyone.
Your king is just feeling inferior!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by Nobody: 12:44pm On Oct 16, 2015
Inferiority complex dey worry the oba (calabash)
Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by MrMbaM: 1:05pm On Oct 16, 2015
Flog them well. Yeebhoes are cursed from heaven. Worthless people
Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by gtrust: 1:33pm On Oct 16, 2015
redsconsult:

Young man, a cap is NOT a crown

You cannot get a "crown" by being voted as an Eze or president of a sociocultural group!!!

You CANNOT become a Head of state and commander in chief of the armed forces just by registering a company an the CAC & giving yourself the title "president" and distributing beautiful complimentary cards!!!

That man had no crown as he had no staff of office and most especially had no kingdom!!!

Sociocultural organizations are strongly encouraged by host Oba or real keeper of the crown!

Why
- they organize foreigners quickly at their own cost to "toe the line" of their host
- they shelter and care for their own and prevent embarrassing situations to both parties
- they support their own in trouble-times example transport their dead and bereaved family back to their home
- as you can see sociocultural organizations are highly encouraged by host communities and I don't need to go on here

The "real keeper of the crown" should know who he or she is and usually are never seen showing inferiority complex!!!

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by gtrust: 4:56pm On Oct 16, 2015
Hope they find peace and understanding!!!
There's enough space in Nigeria to contain all man and all woman!!!
Re: Igbo Traders In Akure Shut Their Shops To Protest The Dethronement Of Eze Ndigbo by ba7man(m): 4:59pm On Oct 16, 2015
winniz:

The Yoruba Oba mobilised over 200 Yorubas to attack just two people, what a shame!
Sometimes, 10 people can flog someone with so much damage, the person would think they were hundred.

(1) (Reply)

300 Confirmed Dead As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Communities / Guess Who Visited Goodluck Jonathan In Otuoke / See What A Nigerian Police Officer Was Spotted Doing For A White Man(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.