Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,208 members, 7,829,323 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Facebook 'on This Day' Backfires With Bad Memories - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Facebook 'on This Day' Backfires With Bad Memories (401 Views)

Girlfriend Sends Twins To Seduce Boyfriend As A Test – It Backfires For Her / Share Those Funny Memories That Make You Laugh Till Date / Photos: Good old memories! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facebook 'on This Day' Backfires With Bad Memories by traction: 1:25pm On Oct 15, 2015
Facebook is tweaking a feature which shows old posts on anniversary dates. The change is designed to let users filter out unwanted or uncomfortable memories. The feature concerned is known as "On This Day" and involves an entry appearing in the user's news feed. The entry won't appear for anyone else, unless the user actively decides to share it. It's also possible to access the page directly using a bookmark on the Facebook site or via a dedicated page at facebook.com/onthisday. Users can also sign up so that several such memories are guaranteed to show up in their news feed each day.

The 'On This Day' entry will be a re-post of something that happened on the same day in a previous year. This could simply be an old status update or photograph post, but may also include some kind of change to the user's Facebook presence, such as when they became Facebook friends or changed their relationship status. The problem is that the feature isn't sophisticated enough to figure out which posts - and the associated memories they evoke - will be of a positive nature. That means it sometimes throws up unwanted reminders such as when a user got engaged or married (to somebody they've now split up from) or even the anniversary of a friend's death.

In response to complaints about this problem, Facebook has now added a preferences menu for users that want to restrict certain memories from appearing on the feature. The menu is accessible at facebook.com/onthisday and a button marked "Preferences" with a gear logo. The menu offers two options for filtering out posts. One is to block any posts that mention or involve a particular person. The other is any posts that relate to a specified time period, for example the time before and soon after somebody died. (Source: businessinder.com)

It's not the first time Facebook has had to make changes to an automated feature after inadvertently upsetting users. Last year it put together a "Year In Review" feature which showed photographs which earned the most "likes" from friends. Unfortunately in several cases these were photographs of recently deceased friends or family members where the "likes" were expressions of sympathy and, to say the least, the user concerned did not consider the event one of the highlights of their year. (Source: time.com)

What's Your Opinion?

Is Facebook right to add in these filters? Should users be bothered by automated reminders of events they'd prefer to forget? Should Facebook put more thought into how to detect if a past post might now be seen in a negative context?

https://www.infopackets.com/news/9697/facebook-day-backfires-bad-memories
www.osun.info

Re: Facebook 'on This Day' Backfires With Bad Memories by Nobody: 1:27pm On Oct 15, 2015
To me i love the idea.....it reminds you of what you cant run away from considering the Fact that it first appears on your timeline and if you wish to share, you do just that or otherwise.
Re: Facebook 'on This Day' Backfires With Bad Memories by benedictnsi(m): 1:32pm On Oct 15, 2015
It's a nice one... Kinda a memoir..... But there are much things and amendments to do on Facebook other than just "on this day "
Re: Facebook 'on This Day' Backfires With Bad Memories by yanabasee(m): 1:51pm On Oct 15, 2015
I don't keep bad memories in me.... Only good memories...

I often enjoy my moments of good times and the smile on my face makes me even more handsome...

Can't afford to bother about my bad times...

So, Facebook... That's for folks with bad memories!

(1) (Reply)

No Sh**t!!..am Quiting This Relationship!! / Scaryi 4 D 9t / Update: Five Rescued, Others Trapped In Lagos Building Collapse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.