Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,501 members, 7,847,075 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 10:33 AM

Time To Abolish ''Eze Ndigbo'' Garbage? A Short Contribution - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Time To Abolish ''Eze Ndigbo'' Garbage? A Short Contribution (2497 Views)

Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku / UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty / Akure Youths Flogged Eze-ndigbo Out Of Deji Of Akure, Oba Aladetoyinbo Palace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Time To Abolish ''Eze Ndigbo'' Garbage? A Short Contribution by Abagworo(m): 1:16pm On Oct 17, 2015
The same way Nnamdi Kanu's eye will clear when millions of Igbos are killed for nothing but internet propaganda. I am always worried about survival of Igbo nation hence my view is same with Ojukwu but different from myopic individuals who think not of ripple effects. Biafran war was for survival and we survived our attempted total annihilation making the war a victory for us and equally a victory for the federal troops who kept Nigeria intact by ending seccession.

https://www.nairaland.com/819196/eze-ndi-igbo-nairaland-election

Abagworo:
You guys have come here to disgrace the Igbo nation like your so called Eze Ndigbo Lagos or Kano or Jos. Stop this disgrace.I don't even believe that any true Igbo daughter or son would allow himself to be ridiculed to this level. Azen gbokwa!!

The moderator needs to move this to tribalist or joke session.

https://www.nairaland.com/267296/eze-ndigbo-title-ohazulike-appeals

Abagworo:
This Ezendigbo stuff has always been disgusting to me . There's no such thing as Eze of all igbos and there will never be. These so called Ezes are just fermenting troubles. Eze in igboland is a village chief and not an emperor and the largest kingdoms that existed in igboland never grew larger than a city and these were Agbo,Aboh,Onitsha,Nri,Abiriba,Igboeze, Oguta and few others. Eze in igboland is like Baale in Yoruba and not Oba. His authority ends in his village. Tell me how an Anambra or Imo man will come to Lagos and declare himself Eze of all Anambra,Imo,Ebonyi,Abia,Enugu,parts of Rivers and Delta states residing in Lagos when an Eze is already in his village? If Igbos in diaspora want a single leader,let them chose the state chairman of Ohaneze period.
Re: Time To Abolish ''Eze Ndigbo'' Garbage? A Short Contribution by Stolen: 1:21pm On Oct 17, 2015
Abagworo:
The same way Nnamdi Kanu's eye will clear when millions of Igbos are killed for nothing but internet propaganda. I am always worried about survival of Igbo nation hence my view is same with Ojukwu but different from myopic individuals who think not of ripple effects. Biafran war was for survival and we survived our attempted total annihilation making the war a victory for us and equally a victory for the federal troops who kept Nigeria intact by ending seccession.
https://www.nairaland.com/819196/eze-ndi-igbo-nairaland-election
https://www.nairaland.com/267296/eze-ndigbo-title-ohazulike-appeals

Your case is a special one. One minute your not igbo, the next minute your igbo.

See a Psychiatrist.
Re: Time To Abolish ''Eze Ndigbo'' Garbage? A Short Contribution by homosapien(m): 2:11pm On Oct 17, 2015
BushidoBlue:
I have listened and watched and read comments from the future generation of Nigeria and I am appalled by what I have observed.

This incident has brought to the fore the underlying animosity that tribalism breeds.

I am not privy to all sides of information so my opinion is based on the respect and reciprocal attitudes of both parties involved.

Let's start by assuming the Igbos erred in some way right there in Akure.
The magnitude of the misdemeanour can't be ascertained by me.
So the Deji of Akure now summons the Eze Igbo of Akure.
Before I continue, I want to ask a question.
Who is an ambassador if not a representative of a nation in another nation and even the embassy grounds are given the same respect as the nation from which the ambassador hails from.
Having said that, an ambassador can be summoned before the president of a country and must honour such an invitation. Being unruly to the "host nation" is a abhorred by any nation or people.
However, being violent on the ambassador is also in distaste and does not speak well of the host nation and can even lead to diplomatic issues or war.

Can we then say that the Eze Igbo is a representative of the entire Igbo community in Akure and as such an ambassador of the Igbos in Akure?
Can we also safely assume that he was summoned and respected the host community by honouring the invitation?
Can we as well say he has the right to ask for the root cause of the issues at stake in order to settle or mediate between the host and his kinsmen?

If the answer to the above is yes in all three positions, will it be personable or civil for the Eze Igbo to be beaten and derobed in the palace of the host community if due to cultural differences, he errs right there in the palace?

I have stated in other posts and threads on this forum that I have been fortunate to travel around this great nation and visit different traditional rulers for different reasons.

One thing I have found in common is that the hospitality and cultural handlers (or special assistants) to the palaces usually explain the do's and dont's of the host community.

I want to know really, what the Eze Igbo said that would have warranted the violent reaction.
If he was found to have erred he must apologize and the initial matter be settled.

With the kind of responses I read here in this forum it would seem that there is a subhuman hatred for the Igbo. The reason I say this is because we hear Nairalanders threaten fire and brimstone ok the igbo's as if the flogging of the Eze Igbo wa not enough humiliation.

When the tables turn and these youth are found to err in another man's land where ever on this earth they may find themselves, I hope and pray their hosts will be more merciful than the youth in the palace of the paramount ruler, the Deji of Akure.

Love your submission sir, one of the characteristics of an average yoruba is, he prefers peace to war. it was as a result of the peaceful nature of the Yoruba that made your people call the entire yoruba race coward. reason why igbo's behave and respect themselves in the northern part of the country is because of the aggressive nature of the Hausa man. Igbo's knows that any slight provocation they will pay for it with their blood. so they behave. But coming to the west they display arrogance, why because we don't believe in violence and as a result of that, igbo's call us coward. Just know there cones a time even a coward will say enough is enough. that was what happen in Ondo. so my brother if igbo's want to retaliate, they should go ahead. we are watching

2 Likes

Re: Time To Abolish ''Eze Ndigbo'' Garbage? A Short Contribution by LoveDecay(m): 2:29pm On Oct 17, 2015
BushidoBlue:
I have listened and watched and read comments from the future generation of Nigeria and I am appalled by what I have observed.

This incident has brought to the fore the underlying animosity that tribalism breeds.

I am not privy to all sides of information so my opinion is based on the respect and reciprocal attitudes of both parties involved.

Let's start by assuming the Igbos erred in some way right there in Akure.
The magnitude of the misdemeanour can't be ascertained by me.
So the Deji of Akure now summons the Eze Igbo of Akure.
Before I continue, I want to ask a question.
Who is an ambassador if not a representative of a nation in another nation and even the embassy grounds are given the same respect as the nation from which the ambassador hails from.
Having said that, an ambassador can be summoned before the president of a country and must honour such an invitation. Being unruly to the "host nation" is a abhorred by any nation or people.
However, being violent on the ambassador is also in distaste and does not speak well of the host nation and can even lead to diplomatic issues or war.

Can we then say that the Eze Igbo is a representative of the entire Igbo community in Akure and as such an ambassador of the Igbos in Akure?
Can we also safely assume that he was summoned and respected the host community by honouring the invitation?
Can we as well say he has the right to ask for the root cause of the issues at stake in order to settle or mediate between the host and his kinsmen?

If the answer to the above is yes in all three positions, will it be personable or civil for the Eze Igbo to be beaten and derobed in the palace of the host community if due to cultural differences, he errs right there in the palace?

I have stated in other posts and threads on this forum that I have been fortunate to travel around this great nation and visit different traditional rulers for different reasons.

One thing I have found in common is that the hospitality and cultural handlers (or special assistants) to the palaces usually explain the do's and dont's of the host community.

I want to know really, what the Eze Igbo said that would have warranted the violent reaction.
If he was found to have erred he must apologize and the initial matter be settled.

With the kind of responses I read here in this forum it would seem that there is a subhuman hatred for the Igbo. The reason I say this is because we hear Nairalanders threaten fire and brimstone ok the igbo's as if the flogging of the Eze Igbo wa not enough humiliation.

When the tables turn and these youth are found to err in another man's land where ever on this earth they may find themselves, I hope and pray their hosts will be more merciful than the youth in the palace of the paramount ruler, the Deji of Akure.

First off ibo land is not a nation and even if it were it would have to appointed by an authority of that nation. The idea of an ambassador in this case is far fetched. I believe we're a talking in political context here.

Secondly, whatever hostilities the eze ibo went through was not encouraged or planned by the crown, but by the citizens of that locality or domain.

The Deji would need not apologise in this case as this would mean he has done something wrong. If there is a youth association the apology should come from there, the blame as well.
Re: Time To Abolish ''Eze Ndigbo'' Garbage? A Short Contribution by 7lives: 3:04pm On Oct 17, 2015
laudate:

Hmmn, for anyone who went to secondary school in the South West and studied history as part of the curriculum, they would have been taught these principles. Another thing we were taught during our history lesson, was that among the Yoruba folks, even though their king's position was revered and considered sacred, there were checks and balances that prevented him from becoming a tyrannical despot.

He could be deposed if he was high-handed, evil, tyrannical or just plain greedy. He could also be deposed for consistently working against the interest of his people. The selection of a new Yoruba king or Oba in other parts of Yoruba land, is similar to this method used in selecting a new Oba for the Oyo people, also known as the Alafin.

In many parts of Yoruba land, it is also reported that kings can be deposed if they embark on a series of bad behaviour, that brings their community into disrepute.

Tell them bro, my grandmother told me how a Soun of Ogbomoso named Olayode was expelled from his palace by the irate mob and the king fled his palace while the mob pursue him.
Despite all his metaphysical powers the people still caught him and killed him, Yoruba's have been say no to despotic leaders no be today jare.
Re: Time To Abolish ''Eze Ndigbo'' Garbage? A Short Contribution by basilo101: 2:32am On Oct 18, 2015
homosapien:

Love your submission sir, one of the characteristics of an average yoruba is, he prefers peace to war. it was as a result of the peaceful nature of the Yoruba that made your people call the entire yoruba race coward. reason why igbo's behave and respect themselves in the northern part of the country is because of the aggressive nature of the Hausa man. Igbo's knows that any slight provocation they will pay for it with their blood. so they behave. But coming to the west they display arrogance, why because we don't believe in violence and as a result of that, igbo's call us coward. Just know there cones a time even a coward will say enough is enough. that was what happen in Ondo. so my brother if igbo's want to retaliate, they should go ahead. we are watching
stop talking nonesense. all ur actions reeks of envy. killing in the north has nothing to do with igbos. northerners have been killing fellow northerners in jos and kaduna till today. there is serikin hausawa in all igbo cities. stop looking for flimsy excuses to exhibit ur useless envious nature. after all the failed attempt to bring igbos into falae's kidnaping and boko haram bombin in abuja u now celebrate agberooish behaviour at the palace as a great feat?
Re: Time To Abolish ''Eze Ndigbo'' Garbage? A Short Contribution by homosapien(m): 1:51pm On Oct 18, 2015
basilo101:

stop talking nonesense. all ur actions reeks of envy. killing in the north has nothing to do with igbos. northerners have been killing fellow northerners in jos and kaduna till today. there is serikin hausawa in all igbo cities. stop looking for flimsy excuses to exhibit ur useless envious nature. after all the failed attempt to bring igbos into falae's kidnaping and boko haram bombin in abuja u now celebrate agberooish behaviour at the palace as a great feat?

So you feel this stupid thought of imaginary envy and hate according to the Igbo's is not Nonsense. keep wallowing in ignorance and deceit. Good luck.

I quoted you because I though you reasonable never knew you part of those myopic lot throwing tantrums all over nairaland. Consider this my last response
Re: Time To Abolish ''Eze Ndigbo'' Garbage? A Short Contribution by Francis5: 9:14am On Oct 22, 2015
Thank God the Oba Akure is a NAIRALANDER and has read and moved as I requested in this thread.
Re: Time To Abolish ''Eze Ndigbo'' Garbage? A Short Contribution by Francis5: 9:17am On Oct 22, 2015
Thst being said, the action of the Akure Oba and his youths demonstrates the deep agberoic culture of Yorubas. Dudes are complete thugs, leaders and followers alike
Re: Time To Abolish ''Eze Ndigbo'' Garbage? A Short Contribution by Francis5: 9:52am On Oct 22, 2015
Bump
Re: Time To Abolish ''Eze Ndigbo'' Garbage? A Short Contribution by Nobody: 6:16am On Oct 24, 2015
Francis5:
Time to abolish Eze Ndigbo garbage? A short contribution

So we read how Ondo youths disgraced an Eze of Igbos in Akure, Yorubaland. Many were shocked but I am not, because I know better. I know that Yoruba youths (and folks in general) have no real respect for Kings. They can play all the dobale lip service Yorubas are known for. Yoruba youths/men have been known to beat up, chase out, or even burn the palaces of their own kings.

Few examples (there are many floating on cyberspace):

http://naijagists.com/why-oba-folabi-odidiomothe-olu-of-igbokoda-in-ilaje-ondo-was-chased-out-of-palace/

http://naijagists.com/oba-pius-akinfesola-adewole-ondo-monarch-chased-out-of-palace-over-corruption/

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/ogun-chieftaincy-palaver-10-village-heads-beat-monarch/

http://www.osundefender.org/?p=98066

http://naijalog.com/photos-ogun-king-beaten-stripped-palace-burnt/

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/osun-local-militia-gives-monarch-communities-hell/

So who is an Eze Ndigbo to be treated otherwise in Yorubaland? With this background, I have no pity for the man (I mean the Igbo king in Ondo) who was slapped, flogged and de-robed in Akure by Ondo youths becaue it is routine practice in those climes.

To begin with, I detest the idea of ‘Eze ndigbo’ in any Nigerian city outside Igboland. All culture/tradition is local, and as such should be played locally. You cannot take your culture and transplant it to where it does not naturally hold sway. For example, despite thousands of Americans or Indians living in Nigeria, how many ‘American (or Indian) citizen’s union’ chairmanship positions have you heard of in Nigeria? They know better to not try to be obnoxious with their culture in another man’s land, especially when not appreciated.

It is time to stop the Eze ndigbo shenanigan in towns and cities outside Igbo land. They do not contribute anything to the socio-economic wellbeing of Igbos in such cities. The sphere of influence of Igbo kings should be restricted to Igboland, as should be those of other ethnic groups. Igbos in Akure, Lagos, Kano etc do not need an Eze to get themselves organized into groups. What they need are town unions at the lower rungs of the ladder, and then a committee of town union heads at the higher rungs of the ladder (state level) leading the entire Igbos in a particular state, with a chairman and other officials elected on a democratic basis.

Therefore, all kings in non-Igbo Nigerian states should stop conferring these WORTHLESS titles to Igbos in their domains. I know it is done by these non-Igbo kings to fleece money from Igbo money bags who are ever willing to show off their wealth and who would never become royalty in Igboland were they resident there.
^^

Re: Time To Abolish ''Eze Ndigbo'' Garbage? A Short Contribution by MayorofLagos(m): 6:41am On Oct 24, 2015
Francis5:
Thst being said, the action of the Akure Oba and his youths demonstrates the deep agberoic culture of Yorubas. Dudes are complete thugs, leaders and followers alike

Agbero loko Ibo! The only lesson Ibo learn from is a loud and painful humiliation in public. The Hausas can see the writing on the wall already and everyone else see a steady escalation in breakdown of relations between Yoruba and Ibo. What this means is West is about to boil and when the bottled-up steam is released, Ibo will be severly dealt a blow.

You caused trouble for Fashola, you caused trouble for Oba of Lagos, now you've gone inland to cause trouble for Deji of Akure.

A worse humiliation than flogging awaits you in Yorubaland.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biafra: Caption This Cartoon / Black Xmas And New Year As Fg Fail To Pay Salaries / Which Nigerian Politician Can Do All This (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.