Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,250 members, 7,825,978 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

Dyslexia - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dyslexia (453 Views)

Living With Dyslexia In Nigeria. My Story / Dyslexia, Cerebral Palsy Or Downs? We Have The School For You! / Special Needs Nursery/primary School With Emphasis On Dyslexia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Dyslexia by Nobody: 7:11am On Oct 17, 2015
Dyslexia
Dyslexia is a poor reading habit in children, and wikipedia has this to say ''Dyslexia, also known as reading disorder, is a learning disability characterised by trouble with reading despite normal intelligence. Different people are affected to varying degrees problems may include difficulties in spelling words, reading quickly, writing words, 'sounding out, words in the head, pronouncing words when reading aloud and understanding what one reads. Often these difficulties are first noticed at school''. School children suffer alot from dyslexia and one out of ten children in U.S is said to have it & the cause is unknown. Dyslexia is not as bad as the treatment the children receive from play group, classmates, teachers and even their own family, they are mocked, scorned and insulted both at home and in school. The consolation is that they always have one person to console them at home but in school, teacher who are learned should understand better make it worse and treat them as if they are suffering from a god-cause plague, they hurl abusive words &insults at them, they deliberately stand them up in class to pronounce or read from the board which ends up in insult from the teachers and mockery from their class mates. Its not as if these children are dullards,that's the irony of the situation, these children are genius in other things like arts, crafts, advices, technology, trade anything apart from school work. These children need encouragement and support for them to come out of this reading difficulty, they need to be told they can do it even when they piss us off, i tell you its not easy to teach or train these children, its difficult not to get pissed off, I've taught one before, you must not show that you are tired of them if not they swing their mood instantly, these children hate to be told nasty words, they don't like to be reminded they are not doing well like the other kids in school, when you remind them, they think about it so much that they become unhappy which does not help their situation. A man said if his wife is tired of the daughter's situation or think about it a times for the next two days, the daughter will be so moody. They need encouragement not embarrassment. A child suffering from dyslexia will write Ife as Eif or Efi, and will be slow in reading. Some analyst think it as a genetic problem but in some cases it is observed that none of the parent is a slow learner nor suffered dyslexia before. A child who came out of dyslexia said this about his teacher ''when my proprietress told a teacher who is very sound in teaching to be my lesson teacher because my mom requested for a lesson teacher, the man kept on posting us till the term ran out, later i was going into the staff room one day when i heard him saying he can never be a teacher to a dullard, if he happens to be my parents he will send me back to primary 2, i was in s.s.1 then, i felt so bad that it affected me for the rest of the day''. To help these great children, parents might need to change their school and environment if the present one is insulting and embarrassing to an encouraging and soul lifting one. Love children with dyslexia, encourage,support, and let them know they can be better with words. Dyslexia is not an incurable condition. Treat them well!.
Ojo Ifeoluwa
Re: Dyslexia by destino24(m): 7:47am On Oct 17, 2015
If only Nigerian teachers can understand this

(1) (Reply)

Eiffel Masters Scholarships In France / Help A Needing Student Please / Get Your BSC And Other Degrees In Less Than Four Years In Benin Republic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.