Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,400 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:34 AM

Nigeria, This Is What The World Thinks Of You - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigeria, This Is What The World Thinks Of You (1334 Views)

If Hurricane Harvey Happened In Nigeria, This 16 Things May Likely Be Our Fate / Growing Up In Nigeria: This Is How Life Was In The 90’s Vs. How Life Is Today / Which Is The Dirtiest City In Nigeria...this Is Kc(kano City) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria, This Is What The World Thinks Of You by Nobody: 7:56pm On Oct 17, 2015
What comes to mind when you hear ‘Nigeria'?
One in every five African is Nigerian, that is how large and populated Nigeria is. It is not just Africa's most populous nation but also Africa's most popular nation. Nigerians are all around the globe, inscribing their names on the map of every continent.
People have a lot of opinions about Nigeria.
#Some think of Nigeria as a jungle full of mosquitoes and primitive people. A jungle? I don't think so. Mosquitoes.... no comment. But seriously, primitive people The persons that hold this opinion are the primitive ones, really behind on the world updates.
#Others think it is the most religious country but with the most corrupt people. Yeah we are religious. Really really religious. And corrupt? Well they may not be so far from the truth, with the current rise of scammers (yahoo boys) in the internet, and the reputation of our government, can we really blame them?
#While others say Nigerians are comedians and entertainers. Hollywood ranks second in the world next to Bollywood you know, and our stars really do a fabulous job when it comes to shining around the continents. I guess it's not so much of a bad thing that we at least get recognized in this way. Kudos to our stars that have worked so hard for this.
#People think oil when they think Nigeria. Bagging the largest oil producing country in Africa and 12th largest worldwide, we boast of an enviable economy. If only our leaders are more selfless *sighs.
#That Nigerians consider foreigners conspicuous. If you still get that tingy admiring suddenly well behaved character whenever you come close to a foreigner, then you my dear, fall into this category. Calling foreigners ‘oyibo' is also part of this. Let's get to that point where people will get all excited upon seeing us whenever we travel abroad.
#And Nigerians are largely polygamous. With 67% of the population being northerners (those guys get married to 4 wives), plus our royal fathers and some localities, I'm afraid this once again is actually and surprisingly true.
# people say Nigeria is not a good place to be gay. We can commend ex President GEJ for this one. *winks. If you're caught being gay, O.Y.O. You get 14 years imprisonment and additional 10 years depending on any other charges. And if you harbour an homosexual, you get 5 years imprisonment. That doesn't stop some people though....
#They feel a lot of people think President Goodluck Jonathan is stupid. Stupid? I won't say. That guy is way older than I am. His tenure leaves a lot to be questioned though. I guess he'll learn his lessons and correct his mistakes if he ever gets another chance.
#Education is revered in Nigeria. Even if you don't want to go, your parents will always tell you one thing “get the certificate at least!" This is a topic for another day.
#The educational system....not so much. Ask Nigerian students, we are sick and tired and fed up. That's why everybody wants to travel out to study but nobody is travelling in to study in our schools.
#The world says Nigerians have an unusual level of optimism. Do you know Nigerians were actually marked down to be one of the happiest people in the world? Two reasons were given. Our religion and our unusual high level of optimism.
#Freebies- don't tempt Nigerians with free things. We just love free things don't we? Free data, free airtime, free food, free money, free everything! We just love having things easy. We want to have it cheap and in maximum quality too. Not a lot of things have those two going hand in hand I must say.
#They think Nigerians love travelling outside the country. Pfft. Who doesn't want to? Nigerians will give anything to travel out of the country, even if it's to nearby Cameroon or far away China. They'll give anything to leave the country either by crook, nook or book. And ask them, once they leave, they don't intend coming back until they make it big out there.
#They think Nigerians love (Owanbe) party time. Yeah we do. Be it clubbing, weddings, thanksgiving, we know how to bring live and rock a place. We are happy people. And our parties....world class.
#But you can't take their culture away from them. The Yorubas lead forefront in this category. You take away culture from a Nigerian and you take away his bearing. We simply adore our culture.
#Or their gadgets. With our gadgets, we can go around the world in just a matter of seconds. And we do love to go around the world. Yeah. We love technology.
#Certainly not their football. Super eagles might not be doing so well ( seriously, they're just living on past glories), but that doesn't deter us from following up on our football. We are passionate people, and football is just one of those things we can never get enough of.
#You simply will fall in love with their fashion. Do I really need to expatiate on this one? *smiles.
You're a Nigerian, what do you think of your country?
Re: Nigeria, This Is What The World Thinks Of You by dyadeleye(m): 9:01pm On Oct 17, 2015
Naija for life...
#ProudToBeANigerian#

(1) (Reply)

Is This The New Bank Account Fraud? / Custom Lifts Ban On Importation Of Rice And Also Re-introduce Import Duty / [new Music] Science Student – Olamide Prod.-young John X Bbanks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.