Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,713 members, 7,809,703 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:32 PM

Obasnajo Killed PDP- Nwodo ***wanted To Become A Dictator - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasnajo Killed PDP- Nwodo ***wanted To Become A Dictator (780 Views)

"Uncontrollable Crisis Looms In Nigeria Without Restructuring" – Nnia Nwodo / Biafra: Zionists Form Interim Government, Utomi, Nwodo, Soludo, Gana Make List / You Are Still A Dictator -PDP Tells Buhari ….APC Anti-Corruption Crusade, A Sham (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasnajo Killed PDP- Nwodo ***wanted To Become A Dictator by squash1986(m): 9:10am On Oct 18, 2015
Emerging facts at the weekend revealed how former President Olusegun Obasanjo almost destroyed the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and

forced it into becoming an opposition party.

The Authority recalls that Obasanjo had openly criticized every decision of his predecessors in office, particularly former President

Goodluck Jonathan and dramatized his hatred for the party that made him president when he publicly tore his PDP membership card and endorsed the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate,

Muhammadu Buhari.

Although the national leadership of the PDP dismissed Obasanjo as

incapable of having any strong negative influence on the party, the party paid the price and created the unenviable record of being the first ruling party to lose a presidential election in Nigeria.

But, the former National Chairman and pioneer National Secretary of the PDP, Dr. Okwesilieze Nwodo, disclosed that apart from the negative actions taken by the regime of Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar that led to the foisting of Obasanjo as president, Obasanjo’s brash and unforgiving attitude, his relentless war against perceived enemies, his strivings to become one of the African dictators and his anti-democratic tendencies, all combined to destroy the PDP.

Nwodo also explained that Obasanjo had wanted to imprison him by concocting what he described as “a phantom National Identity Card scam” all because he (Obasanjo) felt that he (Nwodo) was frustrating his plots to transmute to real time dictator.

Said Nwodo: “You will recall that during the military regimes, the Armed Forces Ruling Council (AFRC), which can be christened in any other way, consisting of a few generals, usurped the powers of the legislature and they were at the same time the executive.

“Obasanjo, came from that mold and he was a former military head of state and saw power as if it rested entirely with the President and Commander-in-Chief and so, found it very difficult to conform to civilian style of governance (democratic tenet).

“That was why he had so many problems with the legislature because he wanted to usurp their powers. We then had to set up several committees to attempt to resolve these problems, the most extensive and successful headed by Dr. Alex Ekwueme.

“They took a lot of time and energy and went into details to show the division of power between the two arms of government (executive and legislature) and where they must cooperate in order to move the country as one administration.

“But you find that at the end of the day, the South-East which was zoned the senate presidency, produced five Senate Presidents in eight years”.

The former governor of Enugu State claimed further that Obasanjo used every means at his disposal to hack down perceived enemies and party members through all forms of subterfuge and almost entrenched anti-democratic spirit among the people ‘he selected’ to man strategic positions at the executive, legislative and PDP administrative structures at all level.

“Anybody he didn't want, he will move into the Assembly and made sure he didn't emerge or he didn't succeed. In fact, he started from day one.

“I remember Solomon Lar and I gathered the PDP senators in Agura Hotel and we did a mock primary in which Senator Chuba Okadigbo secured more than 97 per cent of the votes cast in the mock election.

“Obasanjo wouldn't have Chuba as Senate President. He used every means at his disposal to make sure that Chief Evan(s) Enwerem became the Senate P resident. It was indeed the beginning of the crises in PDP up till today.

“Many people do not realize that when President Obasanjo came back into power, he looked at a lot of the African presidents who were there with him when he was head of state and were still in office and he believed they were not more intelligent than him. He also believed they were not more patriotic in the love of their country than him.

“So, he didn't see why they should still be on stage and he will not be on stage as long as he would have liked to.

“From day one, President Obasanjo was not planning to leave office even after a second tenure. That was when the idea of third term came into his mind.

“That was why any Senate President, any party member, the Vice-President, Atiku Abubakar, and everybody he felt could stand against him, was hounded in order to achieve the third tenure, which unfortunately collapsed”.

He maintained that had Obasanjo allowed PDP to be run democratically, several people who occupied top leadership positions at various strata would not have been there.

Nwodo also spoke on his removal from office as National Chairman of PDP and attributed it principally to orchestrated lies fabricated against him by favour seekers to former President Goodluck Jonathan.

He added that Jonathan unfortunately handed over PDP affairs to state governors, who then blackmailed any party national or state leader they felt obstructed their vaulting ambition, and so, plotted his removal.

He stated that the climax of the plot was because he insisted on implementing the directives of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) against the party’s primary in eight states and his press conference where he said he would disgrace any governor who attempted to bribe him.

“INEC had been writing to the party saying that in eight states, where they observed our primary, what they witnessed did not comply with the constitution of the PDP and so, they will not take candidates from those states for that election.

“At that point, I brought the eight governors from the affected states to the president (Goodluck Jonathan) and we had a meeting. I told them I was going to implement the letter from INEC because I didn't want us to lose election in eight states in a row. They also went to INEC and Prof. Attahiru Jega put his foot down that he met the situation PDP then found itself and that he(Jega) didn't create it.

“In trying to execute that, I fell out of favour with my state governor (Sullivan Chime), who found it easy to mobilize the other governors, who were not comfortable with my stand on the INEC statement, my insistence on e-membership registration and internal democracy.

“They said this chairman is too strong and difficult and so, we must remove him. At the height of all these, I addressed a press conference, that I don't want the governors to come to my house again; that I was going to call a press conference and expose anybody who came to my house withGhana-Must-Go.

“All of these culminated to some of these governors feeling I was their problem rather than looking at the merits of what we were trying to do for the party.

“The President at the time (Jonathan), was interested in completing the tenure between him and the late President Umaru Yar'Adua. And he saw the governors as the field commanders who were going to bring in the votes for him.

“So, he felt that if he sided me in all these, when the governors were against me, he will lose the support of the governors. The stage was then set for a conspiracy to ease me out of office so the governors could have their way and the president will also have the support of the governors.

“At that point, I felt that the party should move on rather than stick to my guns as the national chairman when the governors didn't want me”.

www.authorityngr.com/2015/10/Obasnajo-killed-PDP-Nwodo-----wanted-to-become-a-dictator
Re: Obasnajo Killed PDP- Nwodo ***wanted To Become A Dictator by eyeview: 9:38am On Oct 18, 2015
I feel that the greatest loser in the PDP is chief Alex Ekwueme. This is a man who gathered the G34 and stood against Abacha's totalitarian rule. They later turned that group into PDP. As a true democrat and detrabilzed man,he opened the doors of PDP to all and sundry. The same people he allowed in(against the advise of party elders) hijacked the party and sent him and the founders into oblivion.
After using the party to enrich themselves,the same men have gone on to dump the party and form APC,men like OBJ, Atiku,Saraki,El Rufai etc

2 Likes

Re: Obasnajo Killed PDP- Nwodo ***wanted To Become A Dictator by modath(f): 9:40am On Oct 18, 2015
. squash1986(m):
Emerging facts at the weekend revealed how former President Olusegun Obasanjo almost destroyed the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and
forced it into becoming an opposition party.
The Authority recalls that Obasanjo had openly criticized every decision of his predecessors in office, particularly former President Goodluck Jonathan and dramatized his hatred for the party that made him president when he publicly tore his PDP membership card and endorsed the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate,

This authority thing, is it not Ifeanyi Ubah's Vanguard's assistant

Mehn, he needs to get good editors... lipsrsealed, Jonathan is not OBJ's predecessor!! Damn it.

The President at the time (Jonathan), was interested in completing the tenure between him and the late President Umaru Yar'Adua. And he saw the governors as the field commanders who were going to bring in the votes for him.

“So, he felt that if he sided me in all these, when the governors were against me, he will lose the support of the governors. The stage was then set for a conspiracy to ease me out of office so the governors could have their way and the president will also have the support of the governors.

“At that point, I felt that the party should move on rather than stick to my guns as the national chairman when the governors didn't want me”.

Moreover, how could all the blame be on OBJ when. In the same interview Nwobo is indicting Jonathann claiming he gave States Govs the leeway to dictate to their respective state NECs..

If they want to go into propaganda, they should be taught that they can't have two conflicting stories in the same column..

#learners #mediocres

2 Likes

Re: Obasnajo Killed PDP- Nwodo ***wanted To Become A Dictator by IAMTHEHERO: 9:41am On Oct 18, 2015
We already know that Obasanjo wanted to become a dictator. But be ready to face Obasanjo in names calling competition. But one candid advice to you is go to lBB for training. Let IBB give you the film he produced with OBJ .They titled it "WHO IS A FOOL"

(1) (Reply)

APC, PDP, Share Committees As Dogara Names Reps’ Chairmen / Akwa Ibom State Governorship Rerun: Tribunal Might Have Compromised / Abacha's Loot Is Too Huge For Us To Handle - World Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.