Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

Should "okada" Be Banned? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should "okada" Be Banned? (656 Views)

Buhari Says Hijab May Be Banned,Nigerians React On Twitter / Should Okada (motorcycle) Be Banned?. (my Experience) / Jimi Agbaje Rides Okada To Rally (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should "okada" Be Banned? by Mashkov: 2:10pm On Apr 30, 2009
Hello people,

I have observed now for some time the uncountable number of lives lost through okada accidents attributed to the recklessness of the so called okada rider. To me, the economic disdvantages far outweigh the benefits.

What do you guys think??
Re: Should "okada" Be Banned? by smooooooth: 2:16pm On Apr 30, 2009
i support ban, they are a menace to the society.
Re: Should "okada" Be Banned? by strangleyo: 10:08pm On Apr 30, 2009
No.

At the current time there is simply no replacement for the masses.

I believe we could strengthen safety regulation and toughen up the licenses required for Okada, and persecute those who hand out licenses to those who should clearly not operate them.

The problem in Nigeria is not lack of framework, but simple re-inforcement. If Nigeria had traffic officers in numbers comparable to western nations, and who actually went about doing their work properly, the Okada safety issue would be no more of an issue than motorbikes in Florida or California.
Re: Should "okada" Be Banned? by biina: 10:22pm On Apr 30, 2009
Okada should be banned in all major cities
Nigerians make an habit of legalizing an illegality instead of solving the original problem.
Re: Should "okada" Be Banned? by Igwe9(m): 10:32pm On Apr 30, 2009
Okada or okwada grin should be banned in all the major cities in the country cool
Re: Should "okada" Be Banned? by surface(f): 10:36pm On Apr 30, 2009
No,it will make alot of people to be jobless,all they need is training and if possible the government should start doing riding training 4 them,like driving test.
Re: Should "okada" Be Banned? by SapeleGuy: 10:40pm On Apr 30, 2009
NO!
We are too fond of banning things without providing suitable replacements or thinking the consequences through.
How these people go chop? If you ban okada, you might as well give them the keys to your house. There will be a serious upsurge in crime.
Until you find them an alternative source of employment leave them be.

(1) (Reply)

We’re Making Progress On Projects —fashola / Is Nemesis Catching Up With El Rufai? / Nigeria’s Stock Market Set For “solid Recovery”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.