Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,758 members, 7,840,957 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 06:07 PM

Let Us Celebrate Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Let Us Celebrate Nigeria (697 Views)

Manchester United Celebrate Nigeria Independence Pics / Celebrate Nigeria's Diversity - Posters' Rich Diversities. / 50 Reasons Why We Should Celebrate Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by banom(m): 7:27pm On Apr 30, 2009
In honest, it is not easy, Nigeria as our country was left in our hands to manage in the year 1960 from Britain our colonial master, Just seven years after our independence, we had a civil war which lasted almost 3years, after that, many cases of bad things keep happening, other nations wish us ill, pray for our down fall and break up, yet we are still moving, alot of things that could have crippled us have come , some solved, others we are coping with, yet we are still moving, by religion, ethnicity and diverse cultures we are apparently incompatible yet we are still moving, Corruption, bad government, poverty, hardship, hatred, tribalism, nepotism, ilitracy and other negative things have been treathening  our unity and peaceful co-existence, Yet we are still moving,

When our colonial masters left us about 49 years ago, we were few in number, poor,most uneducated, most of our present cities today, as of then, were timid villages, but today things have greatly improved, As of our colonial time, most Nigerian have not crossed the shoes of their various villages, but today, many Nigerians have travelled, setled and even acquired the citizenshipof other countries, some nigerian abroad have contributed greatly to other nations,In the world, we have contributed tremendously to various human endevoures like sports, education, Religion and Science and Technology, E.T.C.

When i flash back and look at when, how and  where we are coming from, i can confidently say that we are doing well, Truely God is good to our country, is not just all about where we expected to have reached but how far we have gone still counts,

God bless NIGERIA.
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by asha80(m): 7:30pm On Apr 30, 2009
banom:

In honest, it is not easy, Nigeria as our country was left in our hands to manage in the year 1960 from Britain our colonial master, Just seven years after our independence, we had a civil war which lasted almost 3years, after that, many cases of bad things keep happening, other nations wish us ill, pray for our down fall and break up, yet we are still moving, alot of things that could have crippled us have come , some solved, others we are coping with, yet we are still moving, by religion, ethnicity and diverse cultures we are apparently incompatible yet we are still moving, Corruption, bad government, poverty, hardship, hatred, tribalism, nepotism, ilitracy and other negative things have been treathening our unity and peaceful co-existence, Yet we are still moving,

When our colonial masters left us about 49 years ago, we were few in number, poor,most uneducated, most of our present cities today, as of then, were timid villages, but today things have greatly improved, As of our colonial time, most Nigerian have not crossed the shoes of their various villages, but today, many Nigerians have travelled, setled and even acquired the citizenshipof other countries, some nigerian abroad have contributed greatly to other nations,In the world, we have contributed tremendously to various human endevoures like sports, education, Religion and Science and Technology, E.T.C.

When i flash back and look at when, how and where we are coming from, i can confidently say that we are doing well, Truely God is good to our country, is not just all about where we expected to have reached but how far we have gone still counts,

God bless NIGERIA.

Heap of rubbish.
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by oderemo(m): 7:36pm On Apr 30, 2009
today things have greatly improved, As

like what ?
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by banom(m): 7:40pm On Apr 30, 2009
asha 80:

Heap of rubbish.

asho 80, how ? is it only the bad things that we should be complaining about every time, is there not something good about us ? do you think the level we have reached today was an easy task ? believe it you leave it, many countries would have broken up if they passed through what we passed through.

ode remo:

like what ?

Litracy level, civilisation, population,understanding, E.T.C.
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 1:29am On May 01, 2009
Literacy level has increased??

Population increase is a measure of improvement in our case??

Understanding of what now?

Civili - wetin?  No be all of us dey watch wetin dey happen for ekiti so and the war of words that ensued on Nairaland as a result ?
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 1:29pm On May 01, 2009
I will like to know what has improved and what we are actually celebrating.
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by loma(m): 2:29pm On May 01, 2009
Celeberate ? Yeah right!
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by banom(m): 3:34pm On May 01, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I will like to know what has improved and what we are actually celebrating.

We should atleast celebrate the fact that we are better than the way we were in 60s.
or are we not ?
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:44pm On May 01, 2009
banom:

We should atleast celebrate the fact that we are better than the way we were in 60s.

We are??
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by Eziachi: 3:53pm On May 01, 2009
Before you start popping up your Gulder and Guiness to celebrate what I don't know, please take time and watch the video on the thread about Halliburton and Nigeria.
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by udezue(m): 4:09pm On May 01, 2009
LMAO BULLOCKS
CELEBRATE DISGRACE AND FAILURES??
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by chidichris(m): 4:21pm On May 01, 2009
banom,
if there is anything we need now, it is mourning. we shld be mourning our country in the hands of high way robbers. we shld be paying our ways out of pdp's caves. we shld be asking questions on where we went wrong.
what is worth celebrating in a country where hunger is 90% problem of her citizens. a country in darkness. if we must celebrate, it must be strictly on the terms of fela who call it suffering and smiling.
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by blacksta(m): 4:22pm On May 01, 2009
@banon

Are sure your name is not Dora ( what a heap of rubbish).
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by Ilelobola: 4:24pm On May 01, 2009
Is it really better? I wasn’t around in the 60s but from my juvenile experience of the 80s, we used to-

•Have treats like Nasco wafers & co plus soft drinks and yoghurt etc in the evenings between lunch and dinner- they are too expensive for the average family and are occasional treats now.
•Visit amusement parks and museums- where are they now?
•I knew the colours on traffic lights and what they meant- my cousin born in 1996 did not know what the lights meant until she came to London to visit and saw it; now it’s back in Lagos of course
•Have a decent level of education in public schools (I went to one for a while when Jakande introduced some ridiculous rules about requirements for going on to Secondary school) and was not at a disadvantage when I returned to a private school afterwards. Most public school educated children of these days might as well be illiterates and I am speaking from experience with our nanny and others who have had to start basic literacy and numeracy all over again after SS3 in Nigeria.
•Have water from a lousy government tap at home though not always- the tap hasn’t dripped water since 1994 though the bills still come

There’s probably something to celebrate like mobile phones but on the flip side, what’s happened with all landline phones? Ours hasn’t worked in ages! The pessimist in me appears to be stronger today. Hopefully tomorrow, I will have something to celebrate about my country as I want to go back home.
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by banom(m): 7:04pm On May 01, 2009
chidichris:

banom,
if there is anything we need now, it is mourning. we shld be mourning our country in the hands of high way robbers. we shld be paying our ways out of pdp's caves. we shld be asking questions on where we went wrong.
what is worth celebrating in a country where hunger is 90% problem of her citizens. a country in darkness. if we must celebrate, it must be strictly on the terms of fela who call it suffering and smiling.

Ilelobola:

Is it really better? I wasn’t around in the 60s but from my juvenile experience of the 80s, we used to-

•Have treats like Nasco wafers & co plus soft drinks and yoghurt etc in the evenings between lunch and dinner- they are too expensive for the average family and are occasional treats now.
•Visit amusement parks and museums- where are they now?
•I knew the colours on traffic lights and what they meant- my cousin born in 1996 did not know what the lights meant until she came to London to visit and saw it; now it’s back in Lagos of course
•Have a decent level of education in public schools (I went to one for a while when Jakande introduced some ridiculous rules about requirements for going on to Secondary school) and was not at a disadvantage when I returned to a private school afterwards. Most public school educated children of these days might as well be illiterates and I am speaking from experience with our nanny and others who have had to start basic literacy and numeracy all over again after SS3 in Nigeria.
•Have water from a lousy government tap at home though not always- the tap hasn’t dripped water since 1994 though the bills still come

There’s probably something to celebrate like mobile phones but on the flip side, what’s happened with all landline phones? Ours hasn’t worked in ages! The pessimist in me appears to be stronger today. Hopefully tomorrow, I will have something to celebrate about my country as I want to go back home.

blacksta:

@banon

Are sure your name is not Dora ( what a heap of rubbish).

No one should get me wrong, i am not saying that we are any way close to our expectation, all i am saying is that , with all the negative confrontations we have had and our obvious incompatible religious and cultural settings, we still dey carry go , isn't that great ?
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by grafikdon: 7:13pm On May 01, 2009
If it is okay to spray air freshener in your house instead of flushing the putrid fly and maggot infested pounds of poop in the toilet. . . I will pop the champag-neh and roll out the barrels of Bud Lite.
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by blackspade(m): 8:16pm On May 01, 2009
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 8:25pm On May 01, 2009
;d
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by ifele(m): 8:54pm On May 01, 2009
@ banom

Hopelessness has increased, hunger and desperation. Hatred is everywhere. Fear and paranoia rule us day and even at night

when sleeping. Nigeria is destroying itself. It would save to suspend democracy for a while and replace all wicked leaders in the country and be ruled by

a benevolent dictator. They told us that we were free but it was all lies.
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by grafikdon: 9:15pm On May 01, 2009
Once upon a time in Awka, Anambra State, late 80'-early 90's, water suppply was constant and the technicians scrambled to fix any rupture. those living in apartment felt like they were living in oyibo man's country because all you had to do was twist the tap for unlimited access to clean water with or without NEPA. Nobody cared about bore hole and water tankers. . .

Fast forward to 1995. . . it became a big fat ugly fairy tale and died permanently. . . it is painful to remember the good old days. . .

Sorry folks, there isn't much to celebrate
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by SapeleGuy: 10:52pm On May 01, 2009
Banom - Thank you. In the past two months since I joined the site, the pessimism of some people especially those abroad. 'The thing tire me'

First and foremost, I would like to celebrate my resolute and stoic people. Who have endured untold sufferring and hardship as this country continues its battle to attain a positive position in the committee of nations.

I celebrate our rich, diverse cultural heritage. I salute a culture, where African traditional religions celebrate the value and importance of women in complete contrast to the imported religions.

I respect the tolerance of these same religions who in their infinite wisdom accept that it is okay to have a different religious belief without wanting to slaughter those who have a different opinion.

I salute the hundred of ethnicities that refuse to accept the bogus equation of 3 out 250 as acceptable.
I salute the spirit of the people that says we are less than 50 years old and things will get better for us.

I celebrate the natural confidence and charisma we exude when we enter a room. Love us or hates, we can not be ignored.

I respect my brothers and sisters who refuse to sell out and continue to believe we shall overcome.

I salute our heroes who spilled their blood for this nation.

Okotie-Eboh, Saro-Wiwa, Balewa, Akintola, Dele -Giwa and many more - we salute you

I celebrate those who write beautifully:
Okri, Achebe, Saro - Wiwa, Soyinka and many more

I respect those who uplift us with melodies:
Uwaifo, Kuti, De-Coque,Okosun and many more

Nigeria, I salute you. I celebrate my ancestors, my land, the rich red earth, the white sands. the fresh air and the cool rivers.

I respect the fact that we need to work harder to improve things.
I salute our armchair and laptop pundits - your constructive criticism spurs us on.
I respect your honesty because you will come crawling back when the hardwork is done.
Nigeria, I celebrate you because charity begins at home - if we don't respect you nobody else will.

Nigeria Waado
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by blacksta(m): 11:02pm On May 01, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Banom - Thank you. In the past two months since I joined the site, the pessimism of some people especially those abroad. 'The thing tire me'

First and foremost, I would like to celebrate my resolute and stoic people. Who have endured untold sufferring and hardship as this country continues its battle to attain a positive position in the committee of nations.

I celebrate our rich, diverse cultural heritage. I salute a culture, where African traditional religions celebrate the value and importance of women in complete contrast to the imported religions.

I respect the tolerance of these same religions who in their infinite wisdom accept that it is okay to have a different religious belief without wanting to slaughter those who have a different opinion.

I salute the hundred of ethnicities that refuse to accept the bogus equation of 3 out 250 as acceptable.
I salute the spirit of the people that says we are less than 50 years old and things will get better for us.

I celebrate the natural confidence and charisma we exude when we enter a room. Love us or hates, we can not be ignored.

I respect my brothers and sisters who refuse to sell out and believe we shall overcome.

I salute our heroes who spilled their blood for this nation.

Okotie-Eboh, Saro-Wiwa, Balewa, Akintola, Dele -Giwa and many more - we salute you

I celebrate those who write beautifully:
Okri, Achebe, Saro - Wiwa, Soyinka and many more

I respect those who uplift us with melodies:
Uwaifo, Kuti, De-Coque,Okosun and many more

Nigeria I salute you. I celebrate my ancestors, my land, the rich red earth, the white sands. the fresh air an the cool rivers.

I respect the fact that we need to work harder to improve things.
I celebrate you because charity begins at home - if we don't respect you nobody else will.

Please dont forget to celebrate a soldier killing an innocent bystander for wearing Green colored clothes and a policeman shooting  dead a soldier at a lagos checkpoint

what a joke you call Nigeria.
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by SapeleGuy: 11:18pm On May 01, 2009
Blaksta, take am easy.

Nah Nigerian Police Force kill Jean Charles De Menezes? Nah Nigeria Police force dey beat black boys for America?

These things happen. You can not take negativity as your signature. Look at the high level of paedophilia, the knife and gun crime that happens in the UK & USA. Look at the level of fraud (Madoff, Enron & Siemens)

We must not lose hope. If people didn't fight to make England and Thurrock comfortable you wouldn't be there now 'chopping mouth'.

I will continue to salute my people, because whilst like all humans they make mistakes. I see the good in them.

My brother, take heart.
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 11:21pm On May 01, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Blaksta, take am easy.

Nah Nigerian Police Force kill Jean Charles De Menezes? Nah Nigeria Police force dey beat black boys for America?

These things happen. You can not take negativity as your signature. Look at the high level of paedophilia, the knife and gun crime that happens in the UK & USA. Look at the level of fraud (Madoff, Enron & Siemens)

You failed to mention that majority of those mentioned were brought to pay for their crimes. Many are still paying for it to date in America. Can you say the same of criminals in Nigeria?Madoff is spending the rest of his life in jail, obasanjo is not even coming close. IBB is walking free and about. If you must compare, at least do so fairly.
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by SapeleGuy: 11:40pm On May 01, 2009
Kobojunkie -
Tafa Balogun and Alams also went to jail, other guilty parties will all pay the price. Justice delayed is not justice denied.
You are correct, we shouldn't compare a 50 year old nation with those that are nearly 500 years old. As you said if you must compare, at least do so fairly.
Further more, these countries that you guys hold as custodians of morality and all that is good are the same countries helping to launder these stolen monies - Why don't you lobby them to turn these thieves away?
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 12:00am On May 02, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Kobojunkie -
Tafa Balogun and Alams also went to jail, other guilty parties will all pay the price. Justice delayed is not justice denied.
I hope you are not saying that applies in Nigeria. Do you seriously expect to tell that to be the many who were duped by Adedibu, Abacha and so many others like these? Or the millions more who will suffered so much by the time Obasanjo, or Babangida dies without ever seeing the insides of a Jail? Are you going to tell that to the millions whose futures were stolen by the very people supposed to safe guard them? Come on!!

SapeleGuy:

You are correct, we shouldn't compare a 50 year old nation with those that are nearly 500 years old. As you said if you must compare, at least do so fairly.
Yet, we can almost compare a near 25 year old nation like Singapore to a country like America? Come on!! India, only about 10 years older than Nigeria can boast of having moved well beyond Nigeria in so many ways.
SapeleGuy:

Further more, these countries that you guys hold as custodians of morality and all that is good are the same countries helping to launder these stolen monies - Why don't you lobby them to turn these thieves away?
I hold no country as custodian of morality. They cannot turn their thieves away if your thieves are willing to connect to help their thieves steal what they can. They however have been able to show that they can effectively deal with their thieves and make sure their thieves pay back what they owe and more.  Can you show that Nigeria has been able to do that? We celebrate our thieves, we sing songs of praises of them and label them heroes and make them gods for our youths to emulate.

Majority of laundered money are in accounts belonging to Nigerians, not the foreigners. Abacha is recorded to have stolen up to 6 billion, billions of which were traced back to his own name, even though the accounts were in foreign countries. Would you be happier if all Nigerians were prohibited from owning foreign accounts? I bet you would cry foul if that ever happened considering the potential consequences of such.

Please stop with the need to POO POO other countries as way of finding meaningless reasons to uplift yours! That seems the only way, I have noticed, people who come in here with a message similar to yours know how to draw out some assumed good in Nigeria.  If you really believe that Nigeria is so good, highlight all the good without stomping down other countries and maybe you will gain some audience. Till then, you are not doing anything different from what people who have been here longer than you have tried doing.
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by SapeleGuy: 12:45am On May 02, 2009
Kobojunkie - If you buy stolen goods, if you accept stolen goods you are equally as guilty as the thief and the laws in these 'advanced' countries punish you severely.

You have illustrated the point I'm making. I am merely stating that there is a high level of hypocrisy on the part of these advanced nations.
We have it on record that when Bush Snr was head of the CIA, he set aside a budget of $50 million to remove Kwameh Nkrumah. The crimes that you refer to are a product of the ethnocratic militocracy that the Western policy of destabilisation gave rise to. It is not unthinkable that some of these replacement leaders were puppets put in place by foreign powers.
I believe in taking responsibility for your actions. I also believe that the suffocating effect of colonialism, neo colonialism and global conglomerations are real and not imagined.

I do not celebrate thieves, I do not pay homage or praise any thief - What I am saying is that we most be positive. As a man thinks so he is. I believe we will triumph, I believe we will succeed.
I am not so sure you share that optimism, to rephrase Marcus Garvey If you have no confidence in Nigerians, you are twice defeated in the race of life. With confidence, you have won even before you have started.

I just think there is an overseer mentality where in trying to show our impartiality we end up been unfair to ourselves. The leaders are hapless and the implementation of their policies range from the ridiculous to the sublime but we must NEVER forsake our people. We may not be great yet but we certainly will be.
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 12:51am On May 02, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Kobojunkie - If you buy stolen goods, if you accept stolen goods you are equally as guilty as the thief and the laws in these 'advanced' countries punish you severely.

You have illustrated the point I'm making. I am merely stating that there is a high level of hypocrisy on the part of these advanced nations.
We have it on record that when Bush Snr was head of the CIA, he set aside a budget of $50 million to remove Kwameh Nkrumah. The crimes that you refer to are a product of the ethnocratic militocracy that the Western policy of destabilisation gave rise to. It is not unthinkable that some of these replacement leaders were puppets put in place by foreign powers.
I believe in taking responsibility for your actions. I also believe that the suffocating effect of colonialism, neo colonialism and global conglomerations are real and not imagined.

I do not celebrate thieves, I do not pay homage or praise any thief - What I am saying is that we most be positive. As a man thinks so he is. I believe we will triumph, I believe we will succeed.
I am not so sure you share that optimism, to rephrase Marcus Garvey If you have no confidence in Nigerians, you are twice defeated in the race of life. With confidence, you have won even before you have started.

I just think there is an overseer mentality where in trying to show our impartiality we end up been unfair to ourselves. The leaders are hapless and the implementation of their policies range from the ridiculous to the sublime but we must NEVER forsake our people. We may not be great yet but we certainly will be.

Oh my gosh!!!  shocked

You really sound like the others who come in here with similar message. I think your brother is on nairaland. Maybe you two can team up and celebrate Nigeria together then in your way.
You know what, I will tell you what I have told the others. I really cannot help you, I can only say you are free to believe what you want and as you want.
Re: Let Us Celebrate Nigeria by udezue(m): 4:32am On May 02, 2009
Lets celebrate barbarism. Who else is like us?

(1) (Reply)

Agency Trains Prostitutes In Anambra / Nigerian Actors/artistes And Taxes / Govt Revokes Oshiomhole, Deputy’s C Of Os

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.