Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,115 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis (1150 Views)

Hameed Ali, Senate Face-off: Buhari Intervenes / Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn / Osinbajo Intervenes To Prevent Power Crisis Over Tariffs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis by theV0ice: 5:16am On Oct 20, 2015
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo is currently intervening in the seeming crisis rocking the power sector in order to prevent the declaration of force majeure by electricity distribution companies that are seriously agitating for an increase in tariff.

Chief executive officers of power distribution companies as well as the executive director of the Association of National Electricity Distributors confirmed to our correspondent that some of the Discos had declared force majeure because they had been incurring losses since they took over the power firms.

The losses, according to them, are mainly because the current electricity tariff approved by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission is not cost-reflective, a development that has impacted negatively on their operations.

A force majeure is a common clause in contracts that essentially frees both parties from liability or obligation when an extraordinary event or circumstance beyond the control of the parties prevents one or both parties from fulfilling their obligations under the contract.

In July, the Federal Government took over the Yola Electricity Distribution Company following the declaration of force majeure by the core investor in the firm, Integrated Energy Distribution and Marketing Company.

The Executive Director, ANED, Mr. Sunday Oduntan, told our correspondent that Osinbajo was intervening in the issue, stressing that the Discos had threatened to declare force majeure if the power regulator failed to consider a cost-reflective tariff for them.

He said, “The vice president is helping us on this issue. He is intervening and trying to get things done properly, and I believe this government is serious to ensure that there is power supply. The only thing is that all other stakeholders, particularly NERC, should get their acts together and know what they are doing, because presently, it is like the commission does not know what it is doing.

“All we want is a cost-reflective tariff. Our people should realise that we need a cost-reflective tariff or else this industry will die. It is not primarily about tariff increase, but all we are saying is that the tariff should be cost-reflective or else this industry will collapse.”

Last week, The PUNCH had exclusively reported that the power firms had sought an increase in tariff by an average of 49.4 per cent, as they intensified their demand for a cost-reflective tariff structure. NERC, however, stated that it would review their demands thoroughly before approving any of the requests for tariff increase.
ADVERTISEMENT

The Chief Executive Officer, Abuja Electricity Distribution Company, Mr. Neil Croucher, told our correspondent that although the threat by some Discos to declare force majeure was a bump on the path of the privatised power sector, the current intervention by the vice president was actually calming frayed nerves.

He said, “With Yola, it was a special case and a bit different to what other Discos are experiencing. I believe it is quite some of the bumps on the road that we experience in the business. However, you are actually right, there were a number of Discos that did give notices of force majeure events, but I believe that the manner in which the government has been addressing that issue has been totally appropriate.

“The vice president himself has given wonderful guidelines and I’m very confident that this one bump on the road will be smoothened out and the process can’t fail. The Discos felt that we had deviated from what was originally intended and presented in the information memorandum that was given to bidders and we have deviated from the transaction agreements.

“And we felt that we needed to realign the process, but I believe the government’s reaction has been totally appropriate and I’m confident that if we are not back on course yet, we will be back on course soon.”

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/osinbajo-intervenes-in-power-firms-crisis/
Re: Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis by madridguy(m): 5:19am On Oct 20, 2015
All we want is a standby and steady power supply and NO increment in tariff. For donkey years you people have been barbing our hair mercilessly and its no longer illegal business as it use to be. Thank God for PMB/Osibanjo, Thank God for voting out the most heartless and useless party " PDP " out of Aso Rock. Thank God for APC

3 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis by LordMecuzy(m): 5:26am On Oct 20, 2015
My Amiable Vice President

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis by Johnpaul2k2(m): 5:46am On Oct 20, 2015
We willl be waiting for the outcome
Re: Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis by Nobody: 5:47am On Oct 20, 2015
Active Vice President....

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis by oluwafemi113(m): 5:50am On Oct 20, 2015

Pls solve this for me urgently. Let's assume you saw a laptop of 97K. You didn't have the cash, so you borrowed 50K from ur mom and 50K from ur dad = 100K. You bought the laptop which left you with 3K change. You gave ur dad 1K and ur mum 1K and kept the other 1K to yourself. Now you owe your mum 49K and ur dad 49K. Now 49K+49K = 98K + ur 1K kept = 99K.Where is the missing 1K?I know you are intelligent. Solve it and tell me the answer....??

VP is really working
Re: Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis by benedictnsi(m): 5:50am On Oct 20, 2015
Horpeyemi77:
Active Vice President....

Yes oo not like one Sambo that was said to have been a vice president..... Yet we didn't see him display

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis by mysteriousman(m): 5:58am On Oct 20, 2015
A beg who remember sambo for anything serious?

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis by theV0ice: 6:15am On Oct 20, 2015
Buhari's deputies are always very involved in the day to day running of govt.

1st was Idiagbon, now Osinbajo.

God bless and keep both of them (I mean GMB/PYO o)

As for the Discos, they should bekiafu angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis by allytinted: 6:27am On Oct 20, 2015
but y
Re: Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis by bigtt76(f): 6:33am On Oct 20, 2015
Shei na this darkness den put us for the past 4 days den wan increase tarrif for? #mtscheeeeeeeeeeee

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis by Realdeals(m): 6:41am On Oct 20, 2015
oluwafemi113:

Pls solve this for me urgently. Let's assume you saw a laptop of 97K. You didn't have the cash, so you borrowed 50K from ur mom and 50K from ur dad = 100K. You bought the laptop which left you with 3K change. You gave ur dad 1K and ur mum 1K and kept the other 1K to yourself. Now you owe your mum 49K and ur dad 49K. Now 49K+49K = 98K + ur 1K kept = 99K.Where is the missing 1K?I know you are intelligent. Solve it and tell me the answer....?
VP is really working

The missing 1K is X, you know do maths for school??
Re: Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis by Pavore9: 6:44am On Oct 20, 2015
If it ends up with an increase in tarrif and we get to enjoy uninterrupted power supply, it will far cheaper than running a generator.

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis by 989900: 7:28am On Oct 20, 2015
Pavore9:
If it ends up with an increase in tarrif and we get to enjoy uninterrupted power supply, it will far cheaper than running a generator.

Aye captain!

However, let them show us theirs first.

#youshowmeyoursishowyoumine
Re: Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis by SweetJoystick(m): 7:34am On Oct 20, 2015
They better declear the force majeure than increase tariff for power wey them no dey supply
Re: Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis by Emekamex(m): 8:32am On Oct 20, 2015
->PHCN should be decentralized and investors given more freedom; failure to do so will lead to a broken system were nothing works.
->Power distribution is a business and not a charity case. If investors are losing money, then there is no long term success for the power sector.
Re: Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis by mohajenny: 11:40am On Oct 20, 2015
Hello
i am miss Jenny i am looking for friendship
please contact me now so you can know more
about me with my pics
jernnifermohamed@gmail.com
Re: Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis by Image123(m): 9:37pm On Oct 20, 2015
theV0ice:
Buhari's deputies are always very involved in the day to day running of govt.

1st was Idiagbon, now Osinbajo.

God bless and keep both of them (I mean GMB/PYO o)

As for the Discos, they should bekiafu angry

Buhari is a great team player. He doesn't muscle others, contrary to the PDP propaganda messages about him during the campaigns.

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Intervenes In Power Firms’ Crisis by theV0ice: 9:45pm On Oct 20, 2015
Image123:

Buhari is a great team player. He doesn't muscle others, contrary to the PDP propaganda messages about him during the campaigns.

forget those Principalities and Demon Party agents jare.

Are they not the same people that swore Buhari will force all Christians to start reading the quran? cheesy

Let them continue wallowing in their delusions.....It's their right.

Me, i know the Buhari i campaigned for grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

An Open Letter To President Muhammadu Buhari About The Mining Sector / Rivers State PDP In Pitiable Street Carnival Over Appeal Filed By Wike – APC Say / Buhari Denied Us ‘juicy’ Ministries –igbo Groups

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.