Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,102 members, 7,835,718 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

"How I Joined Pyrates Confraternity" - Wole Soyinka’s 1st Child, Olaokun - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "How I Joined Pyrates Confraternity" - Wole Soyinka’s 1st Child, Olaokun (4566 Views)

Herdsmen Invade Wole Soyinka's Residence In Ogun / Evander Holyfield Fights Bola Tinubu In Lagos, Wole Soyinka Is Referee-pm NEWS / Pyrates Confraternity Isn’t A Cult, Says Wole Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"How I Joined Pyrates Confraternity" - Wole Soyinka’s 1st Child, Olaokun by golfg(f): 12:37pm On Oct 20, 2015
Dr. Olaokun Soyinka is the first child of Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka. A UK-trained medical doctor, Dr. Soyinka is the immediate past Ogun State Commissioner for Health. Olaokun Soyinka sometime back spoke to KIKELOMO IWAJOMO on life as Kongi's son, his childhood years, his marriage to renowned writer Lola Shoneyin, and his interest in politics.

What's it like being the son of world-renowned Prof. Wole Soyinka?

It's been very interesting and whenever I am asked this question, I always say it's a privilege with the passage of time you come to appreciate more and more as one gets older since he's like a father figure to many Nigerians. And also you will begin to hear more and more about the history because surprisingly,when you are close to somebody, you may not know how much they have done to influence people's lives. With the passage of time,you get to meet so many people. And these all add to your understanding and appreciating. You now understand why people admire or commend him. You begin to understand the depth of why it is so not just because he is a writer. There are so many stratas to his life. It reinforces that it is a privilege to be his son.

What were your childhood years like?

Very mixed,anybody looking at me sees me as an oyinbo. I have 2 sides to me. My mother was English. As a result my life has been divided 2 countries. But most of my adult life, say in the last 2 decades , have been in Nigeria. My childhood was a lot of travelling with quite frequent change. I went to university in England, Government College Ibadan for part of my secondary and then England for the other part of my secondary as well. My primary school was partly in England, and Nigeria. So my childhood was very interesting.

What's your relationship with your father while growing up?

It was good and still is. You know he travels a lot - as a public figure he moves around. Sometimes he is there, sometimes he is not. But he was there as a father and was there for me to have a relationship. As a kid, you don't appreciate what you have. I know of course that people looked up to him but then as a kid you look up to him too.

As the offspring of such a great man, what are the attributes you emulate from him?

That will be for others to say really. I will tell you what I hope, or what I emulate in him. Number one thing is being principled. Thinking deeply about this, coming to the right decisions about the right things to do and the right way to behave the right way based on sound reasoning and then sticking to it. One thing you can say about my dad is that he is principled and consistent with his principles- in the long run, it always serves you well.Also is his sense of humour- you have to be serious when needed. But sometimes messages can be gotten across with a bit of humour, lighten the mood. If you notice, no matter how serious he talks, somewhere in there, there will be some humour.And privately, he is a good company because of his sense of humour.I think I can go on and on. But these are 2 things I can aspire to emulate as far as his writing ability, clearly I don't have that. But having said that, within my medical sphere, I still do a lot of writing - communicating in health terms.

Are you a member of the Pyrates Confraternity?

I am a Seadog. I joined in the UK. I am what you call an adult member. I wasn't exposed to it here. You know I told you I had my university education in the UK. I didn't get to join then. So it was after my university I joined the chapter there.

At the time you wanted to join, did you discuss with your father?

I mentioned it as some point. He didn't push me either way, he believes you have your own mind. When I told him, he said ok. So the pressure to join came from outsiders not my father.

For the full interview:

http://dawntodusknews.com/life-as-wole-soyinkas-1st-child-olaokun/

Re: "How I Joined Pyrates Confraternity" - Wole Soyinka’s 1st Child, Olaokun by daomi(m): 12:44pm On Oct 20, 2015
Sea dogism is a way of life.ahoy!

1 Like

Re: "How I Joined Pyrates Confraternity" - Wole Soyinka’s 1st Child, Olaokun by Tunami(m): 12:44pm On Oct 20, 2015
noted bt some miscreants are using it as an umbrella for criminal activities.
Re: "How I Joined Pyrates Confraternity" - Wole Soyinka’s 1st Child, Olaokun by FruityLass: 12:45pm On Oct 20, 2015
smiley
Re: "How I Joined Pyrates Confraternity" - Wole Soyinka’s 1st Child, Olaokun by baby124: 12:49pm On Oct 20, 2015
daomi:
I pity you. It is when you get older you realize the stupidity in joining silly gangs with mental patients. These confraternities are no more what they were set up for. You better face your books and face life, so you can have peace in old age. Our past always haunts us

3 Likes

Re: "How I Joined Pyrates Confraternity" - Wole Soyinka’s 1st Child, Olaokun by psucc(m): 1:05pm On Oct 20, 2015
Passing the soul of the fathers to the next generation.
Re: "How I Joined Pyrates Confraternity" - Wole Soyinka’s 1st Child, Olaokun by 77al: 1:11pm On Oct 20, 2015
psucc:
Passing the soul of the fathers to the next generation.
The evil that men do....
Re: "How I Joined Pyrates Confraternity" - Wole Soyinka’s 1st Child, Olaokun by LordMecuzy(m): 1:25pm On Oct 20, 2015
Mtscheeeeeeeeewwww..

Every Dog has a Master

We are the Masters..

NewYorkBENedict
Re: "How I Joined Pyrates Confraternity" - Wole Soyinka’s 1st Child, Olaokun by sangga(m): 2:07pm On Oct 20, 2015
daomi:
wole soyinka look like ghost.
Re: "How I Joined Pyrates Confraternity" - Wole Soyinka’s 1st Child, Olaokun by Nobody: 8:58am On Oct 21, 2015
I guess it is different in UK than what it is here.... What is bad is always bad tho'

(1) (Reply)

Okonjo-iweala: I Said Governors, Not Jonathan, Lacked The Political Will To Save / Wishful Map Of Nigeria - Post Buhari / Anambra Billionaire Emeka Offor & His Wife Meet Bill Gates In USA(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.