Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,018 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? (14987 Views)

Names Of Some Animals In Central Igbo Language (asụsụ Igbo Izugbe) / Photos From The Obi Of Onitsha's Palace / I See More Delta Igbos Claim To Be Igbo Than Ikwerre (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 7:23pm On Oct 24, 2015
ezeagu:

Do you know a million Nkihukas, or Oruchi? That's the main point.
I don't. That is not the main point.
These examples still doesn't give Onitsha igbo the platform to become an igbo izugbe.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ezeagu(m): 7:27pm On Oct 24, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

I don't. That is not the main point.
These examples still doesn't give Onitsha igbo the platform to become an igbo izugbe.

That's why I said I wasn't suggesting anything, because this thread is ultimately setting up the question:

ezeagu:
I guess the next question is, how can Standard Igbo be strengthened as standard for Igbo instead of random dialects replacing it?

*If there should be a standard at all.

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by NRIPRIEST(m): 7:30pm On Oct 24, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
I wouldn't notice you o. Yes, Southern Anambra don't speak mainstream onitsha igbo dialects.

They don't speak uniformly but there are major elements. But you still haven't addressed my points about Nnewi and Orumba. You say they speak like Imo.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 7:32pm On Oct 24, 2015
You mean everything you've been shoving down our throats is not a suggestion? From actors to the rest? Ha!
No, Onitsha igbo is not and will not be igbo izugbe. We have already defined igbo izugbe.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ChinenyeN(m): 7:35pm On Oct 24, 2015
I'm feeling an inclination to really let out some serious greviances as a southern Igbo, but I know better and will try to keep my mouth shut. grin

However, Ezeagu, I understand where you're coming from when you say you are limiting it to Onitsha rather than calling it a 'northernization'. That's reasonable.

Well, I'd say I've achieved my objective for why I entered this thread in the first place. I'm content, as long as people come to understand how Onitsha came to be 'intelligible' as well as realize that even with such intelligibility, Onitsha will not make it as a literary standard. Any practical movement forward on Igbo language would have to be with Izugbe, and getting the artificial dialect to feel more organic. However, truth be told, I would not be in support of such activity. Izugbe is fine enough as it is. It fulfills its intended purpose. Now it is time for us to face our respective lects and do the 'needful'.

2 Likes

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by bigfrancis21: 7:41pm On Oct 24, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Still deviation. For God sake,i know a million iheanyis in Imo state. Drop that suggestion of yours,it ain't going nowhere.

There are more Ifeanyis than Iheanyis in Imo state. I have close to 8 Ifeanyis as friends who are all from Imo and can only count 1 or 2 Iheanyis I met during my secondary school days with Imolites. Our Owerri neighbour whose father speaks core Owerri named his first and only son Ifeanyi. Please pick up any list such as admission list for secondary schools or universities in Imo state or names of people in attendance at an event, skim down to the I part and count how many Iheanyis you would find compared to Ifeanyi. I grew up in Imo state and speak from experience. Ifeanyi is a common name in Imo state and all over Igboland.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Oct 24, 2015
NRIPRIEST:

They may exist but it didn't originate from there.
How do mean? Have you heard of the Ogutan's and the Oru of Orlu zone. Are you aware that up till today there is an offshoot of my community in Oguta called Ugbelle. Are you aware that many of my Isu ancestors usually visit those riverine areas of the Niger-Delta during the planting season, while some went for trading with the Nkwerre's. Many visited Aboh kingdom with the Oru's during it's epoch days while some founded communities in Ikwerre and Ekpeye. These and more are why many of our ancestors go by the name Osa, Olisa and Orisa. My maternal great great great grandfather Nwachukwu Duroshimiri was a wealthy slaver and his father before him were domiciled in Igweocha during those days. Its was in Igwenga with the Jaja's that the British saw him and appointed him warrant chief of my community. So don't think its only Onitsha that bear those names.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by bigfrancis21: 7:51pm On Oct 24, 2015
Certain areas of Orumba and Nnewi souths generally speak sort of a mix of Anambra and Northern Imo dialects and their dialects are not close to what is considered mainstream Imo dialect or Owerri. With proximity to Imo state, it is understandable they picked up words from the Northern Imo axis.

Could another reason for the preference of Anambra Igbo by southern Igbo be because it is considered as 'classy'? I personally know Ezinne Akudo's (one-time most beautiful girl in Nigeria) mother (from Imo state, one of those boundary LGAs with Anambra state) and this lady prefers to speak Anambra Igbo instead. You would never tell she's not from Anambra. I had to ask her one day and she told me she's from Imo state, Arondizuogu I think. I also had another neighbour of ours from Arondizuogu who switches easily from Anambra Igbo to mainstream Imo Igbo when she wants. And her Anambra Igbo is flawless. This preference for Anambra Igb sometimes exhibited by people from the South is something I have witnessed too often.

The Igbo musician, Pericoma, is from Northern Imo i think but majority of his songs carry a strong mainstream Anambra flavour.

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 7:52pm On Oct 24, 2015
That Ifeanyi whatever is inconsequential. There are many iheanyis all over Southern igbo.
No one has any authority to suggest anything to non onitsha igbo speakers. The dialect itself is strange in my ears,sorry. EOD!
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ezeagu(m): 8:02pm On Oct 24, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
That Ifeanyi whatever is inconsequential. There are many iheanyis all over Southern igbo.
No one has any authority to suggest anything to non onitsha igbo speakers. The dialect itself is strange in my ears,sorry. EOD!

Fa ncha na nị ndi Onicha, mana fa ncha ji omalicha asusu Onicha we je mba. Isn't that segzy. Lol.

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by bigfrancis21: 8:02pm On Oct 24, 2015
ezeagu:

Do you know a million Nkihukas, or Oruchi? That's the main point.

Keihu, which would be the Owerri equivalent, and environs practically does not even exist.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 8:02pm On Oct 24, 2015
Which one is classy again? Hahaha,i see that supremacy nonesense rearing it's head slowly.

2 Likes

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 8:05pm On Oct 24, 2015
ezeagu:

Fa ncha na nị ndi Onicha, mana fa ncha ji omalicha asusu Onicha we je mba. Isn't that segzy. Lol.

It isn't. It's a combination of consonants holding hands together obstructing the vocal tract.

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by NRIPRIEST(m): 8:10pm On Oct 24, 2015
Chiwude:
Wow! Awka . My maternal Great Grand father went by the name Orisakwe. I was wondering how he came about that name.

The name came as a result of influence from Ogbaru people nothing more. If I see anybody from Idenmili with the name Chinemere I will instantly know it was borrowed.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ezeagu(m): 8:10pm On Oct 24, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

It isn't. It's a combination of consonants holding hands together obstructing the vocal track.

Okay, O wu ihe ị shi? Ngwanu suwazie okwu Owerri ma o wu Izugbe. Now, is tha segzy enuf now?

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ChinenyeN(m): 8:14pm On Oct 24, 2015
I'd say that the 'classy' factor is a misnomer, or at the very least, a consequence of the familiarity. Truth be told, that familiarity helped shape what it means to "speak Igbo". So much so that I (and I'm sure many others) have even had the pleasure of being told that I don't speak Igbo or don't know how to speak Igbo, simply because I don't speak Onitsha or some semblance of it. It stands as a testament of the degree of ignorance Onitsha has caused among Igbo-speaking people, and that has helped Onitsha to become a socialite's dialect.

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 8:14pm On Oct 24, 2015
ezeagu:

Okay, O wu ihe ị shi? Ngwanu suwazie okwu Owerri ma o wu Izugbe. Now, is tha segzy enuf now?
Igbo izugbe is fine enough and it has served it's purpose.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 8:19pm On Oct 24, 2015
ChinenyeN:
I'd say that the 'classy' factor is a misnomer, or at the very consequence of the familiarity. Truth be told, that familiarity helped shape what it means to "speak Igbo". So much so that I have even had the pleasure of being told that I don't speak Igbo or don't know how to speak Igbo, because I speak Ngwa. It's a testament to the degree of ignorance Onitsha has caused among Igbo-speaking people, and it has helped Onitsha to become a socialite's dialect.
It still goes back to the history and place of Onitsha in igbo history. That is what they have refused to understand. It would have been a different story if Ngor Okpala,for example had same priviledge in colonial igboland.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ezeagu(m): 8:22pm On Oct 24, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Igbo izugbe is fine enough and it has served it's purpose.

Buh is it segzy?
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ChinenyeN(m): 8:23pm On Oct 24, 2015
Ochi lei.. Ezeagu won't stop with this 'segzy' ordeal.

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 8:24pm On Oct 24, 2015
ezeagu:

Buh is it segzy?
Yes,of course.

2 Likes

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ezeagu(m): 8:26pm On Oct 24, 2015
ChinenyeN:
Ochi lei.. Ezeagu won't stop with this 'segzy' ordeal.

2 Likes

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ezeagu(m): 8:26pm On Oct 24, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Yes,of course.

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by NRIPRIEST(m): 8:30pm On Oct 24, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
Which one is classy again? Hahaha,i see that supremacy nonesense rearing it's head slowly.

And it's scared you to death!
By the way As each who is well respected here can't be called a supremacist...it's an insult.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 8:50pm On Oct 24, 2015
Scared me? Mere rants of a confused igbo scare me? Olee kwa ihe i shi m gwa gi....gerrra out!

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by odumchi: 8:57pm On Oct 24, 2015
bigfrancis21:
Certain areas of Orumba and Nnewi souths generally speak sort of a mix of Anambra and Northern Imo dialects and their dialects are not close to what is considered mainstream Imo dialect or Owerri. With proximity to Imo state, it is understandable they picked up words from the Northern Imo axis.

Could another reason for the preference of Anambra Igbo by southern Igbo be because it is considered as 'classy'? I personally know Ezinne Akudo's (one-time most beautiful girl in Nigeria) mother (from Imo state, one of those boundary LGAs with Anambra state) and this lady prefers to speak Anambra Igbo instead. You would never tell she's not from Anambra. I had to ask her one day and she told me she's from Imo state, Arondizuogu I think. I also had another neighbour of ours from Arondizuogu who switches easily from Anambra Igbo to mainstream Imo Igbo when she wants. And her Anambra Igbo is flawless. This preference for Anambra Igb sometimes exhibited by people from the South is something I have witnessed too often.

The Igbo musician, Pericoma, is from Northern Imo i think but majority of his songs carry a strong mainstream Anambra flavour.

Enyiaa, speaking a southern dialect is much more than switching from /f/ to /h/ or /n/ to /l/. Southern dialects typically involve the use of other parts of the mouth or respiratory system (which Onicha-speakers do not employ) to facilitate nasalization, aspiration, and a generally faster rate of speech.

Bearing this in mind, Arondizuogu, and other communities in its environs, though being /r/-speaking, do not necessarily fall under southern Igbo. A more appropriate example of southern Igbo would be Orlu, Mbaise, or Ndoki. Amongst these peoples I don't believe there is anything that would indicate a preference of northern Igbo to their own. grin The naming factor would be a consequence of religious and political factors over the years. Had the Catholics first landed in, say, Emekuku, and used their language as a means of disseminating their religion, it would totally be a different story today. Don't you think?
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by odumchi: 9:01pm On Oct 24, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Chei, was that film Rituals,i thought it was Taboo where he got into money laundering business. Yes,he spoke in Ngwa or Mbaise.

Iyaaa! O ya woo! M rizodiri ava yam ihe. grin
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 9:07pm On Oct 24, 2015
odumchi:

Iyaaa! O ya woo! M rizodiri ava yam ihe. grin
I thought as much. Film ahu no wa na phone mu.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Oct 24, 2015
The best option, in my opinion, would be the adoption of two standards in education and media: A Southern Standard Igbo (the so-called 'Owerri' Igbo) in the south; and a Northern Standard Igbo (the so-called 'Onitsha' Igbo) in the north.

These two spoken standards are, as far as I can tell, mutually intelligible, and so their concurrent use will not hamper communication between the regions.

4 Likes

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:38pm On Oct 24, 2015
We wouldn't have to look too far for the adoption of two standards, seeing that we have both SCI and NCI spoken standards. It would then just be a matter of whatever standard-setting organization not being idiots and making the appropriate moves toward official literacy of the two spoken standards.

In fact, this could easily have been accomplished with Izugbe, in my opinion, but I guess the standard setters either didn't want that, or just couldn't envision it.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by bigfrancis21: 9:38pm On Oct 24, 2015
odumchi:

Enyiaa, speaking a southern dialect is much more than switching from /f/ to /h/ or /n/ to /l/. Southern dialects typically involve the use of other parts of the mouth or respiratory system (which Onicha-speakers do not employ) to facilitate nasalization, aspiration, and a generally faster rate of speech.

Bearing this in mind, Arondizuogu, and other communities in its environs, though being /r/-speaking, do not necessarily fall under southern Igbo. A more appropriate example of southern Igbo would be Orlu, Mbaise, or Ndoki. Amongst these peoples I don't believe there is anything that would indicate a preference of northern Igbo to their own. grin The naming factor would be a consequence of religious and political factors over the years. Had the Catholics first landed in, say, Emekuku, and used their language as a means of disseminating their religion, it would totally be a different story today. Don't you think?

@Bold...I agree with you. And that's the reason Northern Igbo people find it hard to learn southern dialects or the lack of interest thereof in learning southern dialects. Moreover, the average Anambra person does not feel the need to speak in a southern Igbo dialect when he can easily be understood. The reverse cannot be said of several southern groups. The unwillingness of Anambrarians to learn southern Igbo is not really a matter of ego.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by bigfrancis21: 9:43pm On Oct 24, 2015
Between the 60s to 90s, speaking Onitsha was often regarded as a form of class among socialite Igbos. My maternal grandmother, mom's mom, barely ever spoke her native dialect but Onitsha all the time. I think it is where the 'classy' feeling comes from. Not to look down on southern Igbo dialects but I don't think Igbo people generally regard any southern Igbo dialect as 'classy' or 'cheeky'. They are just Igbo dialects, nothing extraordinary about them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ohanaeze Sacks Eze Ndigbo Of FCT, Says Igbo Kingdom Can’t Be Established Outside / Funny yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Pounded Yam Eulogy/ Oriki Iyan Ni Ede Abinibi.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.