Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,632 members, 7,809,370 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:24 AM

Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? (14910 Views)

Names Of Some Animals In Central Igbo Language (asụsụ Igbo Izugbe) / Photos From The Obi Of Onitsha's Palace / I See More Delta Igbos Claim To Be Igbo Than Ikwerre (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 12:30pm On Oct 25, 2015
I can't say. But there are many names for plantain in Igboland. We have Ukom, ipa in Oru, jikpo, jinoko, njara,Ipia, Okpog in some parts of Enugu, Unene then Ogede in the northern igbo axis. Cheruv just gave us abirika and asked for the igbo izugbe. I only call both plantain and banana,unele. I don't think there is any igbo izugbe for it.

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:44pm On Oct 25, 2015
Ogede isn't used in southern Abia or the Mbaise/Ngor-Okpuala axis (though I can't speak for the Isu communities in this axis).
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by agadez007(m): 1:22pm On Oct 25, 2015
unripe plantain-ojoko in my dialect,dont know about ripe one,maybe its ogede

What is groundnut in central igbo,cos it has many names in igboland from Opapa(Anambra),Apapa(delta igbos) ahuekere,ashiboko(ebonyi),okpa(awka side) etc
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ezeagu(m): 1:29pm On Oct 25, 2015
This dialectal diversity can really enrich Igbo Izugbe. Instead like English we're adopted foreign words that all meant the same thing and then came to mean something slightly different like pig and pork, Igbo Izugbe can adopt all those words for example and have them mean special species of ground nut.

2 Likes

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:04pm On Oct 25, 2015
Chiwude:
How do you classify borrowed? If you say Orlu borrowed the Orisa, Olisa names then how do you classify that of Onitsha.

Onicha people are from Anioma. And the word Olisa originated from that axis. Orlu people learnt it.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:05pm On Oct 25, 2015
Chiwude:
This post will contradict you especially as it involves Nnewi and Orumba.

How so?
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 2:07pm On Oct 25, 2015
We have Ahiekere and Ukpala in Ebonyi and Imo respectively.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:14pm On Oct 25, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
Many communities/clan in Abia use Ghu/gu instead of gi which is even closer to the Enugu you are referencing. Isuikwuato to Aro(odumchi will have to verify), use I instead of N e.g M la agu akwukwo.
Parts of Enugu don't speak like Anambra apart from places influenced by the so called Anaedo dialect or in Enugu town proper where many Anambra people reside. So i still insist that southern Anambra is mostly a hybrid of Southern Igbo dialects.
There are so many things to pick out from those Oji river sentences which make them close to southern igbo than anaedo or onitsha,lmao.

For the sake of sanity in this thread,throw away that classy trash. I don't see what is classy in what looks like people struggling to speak igbo language,since you have refused to note the part Onitsha played in Igboland.

Again,how is Nnewi dialect and Orumba similar to Orlu? Stop beating around and address my points. You said they are hybrid of Imo and I want you to prove it. I know Nnewi ,Orumba and Orlu .

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 2:16pm On Oct 25, 2015
Yimu.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:03pm On Oct 25, 2015
ezeagu:
This dialectal diversity can really enrich Igbo Izugbe. [...] Igbo Izugbe can adopt all those words for example and have them mean special species of ground nut.

This is supposed to be one of Izugbe's objectives. It was expected that dialectal usages would inevitably and naturally find their way into Izugbe. The hope then was for Izugbe to incorporate the various dialectal usages to help expand Izugbe's lexicon. For a brief moment, this objective was successful, but it eventually failed.

The reason is very obvious once we begin to think about it. We've all witnessed Igbo people telling other Igbo people to "speak central" or "learn Izugbe". Basically, Igbo people developed a mentality that enforces the separation of dialects from Izugbe to the point where dialectal usages are often treated with intolerance (more especially so if you're not /f/-speaking or your /h/-speech is not watered down enough -- no antagonism here, just being honest).

Eventually, Izugbe ended up stagnating, because Igbo people treat it as a static standard, by more or less making it 'taboo' (if I may use that term) to use dialects in literacy (and I'll venture to add 'public speech' as well). Dialectal speech no longer filters into Izugbe, for the most part.

5 Likes

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Oct 25, 2015
NRIPRIEST:

Onicha people are from Anioma. And the word Olisa originated from that axis. Orlu people learnt it.
Lol! Oguta too has Anioma links. Even the Orus in time past had trade relations with the riverine Anioma communities like Aboh.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 25, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
I can't say. But there are many names for plantain in Igboland. We have Ukom, ipa in Oru, jikpo, jinoko, njara,Ipia, Okpog in some parts of Enugu, Unene then Ogede in the northern igbo axis. Cheruv just gave us abirika and asked for the igbo izugbe. I only call both plantain and banana,unele. I don't think there is any igbo izugbe for it.

There is an Izugbe word for it. I vaguely remember a page from my Junior Secondary Igbo grammar text. I'm not now sure what the exact word was, but it's between ji oko and ojoko.

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 25, 2015
ezeagu:
This dialectal diversity can really enrich Igbo Izugbe. Instead like English we're adopted foreign words that all meant the same thing and then came to mean something slightly different like pig and pork, Igbo Izugbe can adopt all those words for example and have them mean special species of ground nut.
Interesting idea from a great mind. We can have a compendium of vocabularies from several dialects. Well, am not a linguist so this one is off my lane. Ezeagu what says you.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 5:30pm On Oct 25, 2015
Radoillo:

There is an Izugbe word for it. I vaguely remember a page from my Junior Secondary Igbo grammar text. I'm not now sure what the exact word was, but it's between ji oko and ojoko.
Well,i'm not aware of that because i don't see people use a specific word for plantain.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 5:32pm On Oct 25, 2015
Chiwude:
Interesting idea from a great mind. We can have a compendium of vocabularies from several dialects. Well, am not a linguist so this one is off my lane. Ezeagu what says you.
That's about the only intelligent suggestion he has made so far. cheesy
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Oct 25, 2015
NRIPRIEST:

How so?
This issue has been dealt with before even here on nairaland. There is a link to that thread. This is why I said you shouldn't go there. As you know Nnewi south is not an exclusive Anaedo speaking enclave the same applies to Orumba eg areas like Umunze et al.
But if you want this argument to continue. First prove to us why you think there aren't an hybrid dialect there.

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ezeagu(m): 5:38pm On Oct 25, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

What was the other suggestion?
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Oct 25, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Lol! This is the type of suggestion he should be making. We should focus on things that unites us, rather than things that causes disagreements.

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ezeagu(m): 6:07pm On Oct 25, 2015
Chiwude:
Lol! This is the type of suggestion he should be making. We should focus on things that unites us, rather than things that causes disagreements.

Again, what are these suggestions?
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 6:22pm On Oct 25, 2015
Chiwude:
Basically why igbos are the laughing stock on nairaland. If you want to have a good time, just follow an igbo thread. I used to be very very,infact extremely pro igbo(north and south up to the moon) till i started noticing very upsetting and wrong suppositions.

3 Likes

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:27pm On Oct 25, 2015
ezeagu:
Again, what are these suggestions?

I'm lost too. I saw this entire thread more as a thought exercise and not necessarily you making any suggestions per se.

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by scholti: 6:34pm On Oct 25, 2015
Every Igbo dialect is precious and contributes to the rich essence of the language. I believe that it is only a fervently written culture that can integrate all the dialects into one universal language, like Dante did for Italian. I am working towards this respect and with time I would solicit the help of all of you on this thread and beyond, to contribute words in your dialects. We can achieve a cornucopia of words.No one Igbo dialect can stand on its own. A beautiful example of Igbo dialectical synthesis is the Igbo bible. Though I think some of the words were not properly translated into Igbo, owing obviously to the fact that at the time they were foreign to the igbo language, the Igbo language stands its ground in the translation, due to the amalgamation of different Igbo dialects.

I wrote about the power of Igbo dialects in my post, 'The Igbo Language: a complete methodology of word creation in any area for knowledge' (https://www.nairaland.com/2604206/igbo-language-complete-methodology-word):
'FUSING IGBO DIALECTS WITH IZUGBE. The Igbo language is an exceedingly rich language with plenty of dialects and sub-dialects as well as a huge inheritance of proverbs, riddles, idioms etc. I am all for the complete emptying of the dialects into Izugbe. The Igbo dialects have had their day. They can’t stand the combined onslaught of Izugbe and English; they would ultimately loosen and fade if they do not wed to Izugbe.
Now is the time to integrate them into Izugbe to ensure their survival. They all have rich stores of vocabulary that would enrich the Igbo language. Izugbe can absorb every Igbo dialect. Izugbe would continue having the upper hand over the Igbo dialects because it is actively written and studied at the highest levels of academia. And many new words, have come into Igbo through it. Examples of dialect words are agalaga (anchor), agbantu (gate), arọnka (style), deghedeghe (soft), deyi (cold), chichiriri (tight and woven together), bande (catch), anaghukwa (bicycle), amimva (rafters), aji (belt), akahi (last year), akparawa (young man), akirisya (oyster).

REVIVING OLD WORDS. Where possible certain Igbo words should be revived. In old Igbo names and proverbs, one comes across Igbo words that are no more in use (at least in popular usage); many of them can be revived. Across Igbo communities, there are ‘unique’ words used to describe limited/vanishing phenomena, these can be reassigned to other functions. Here are some old Igbo words of restricted usage that deserve general circulation: ete (climbing rope), gidigidi (great), garagara (clever), gadangada (over clever), agiga (corner).'

4 Likes

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 7:34pm On Oct 25, 2015
I see Scholti moving in a better direction. I've seen some of your contributions/word formations and it's highly commendable.

Back to the subject of the thread,it's a pity if you(@Chin) see it as a mere thought process as against a brash suggestion of elevating a sectional dialect on a group of diverse igbo speakers. The introductory parts of the thread clearly alluded that a dialect is used and spoken by all Igbo people from Agbor and Aro without paying attention to the unique speech forms in the Southern parts of Igboland.
I'm even more surprised you don't notice the veiled insults in previous pages where onitsha dialect is labelled sexy and classy in order words,all other Igbo dialects especially those from southern igbo are uncultured, crude and tacky. Or is it the egocentric attitude of speakers of the onitsha dialect around speakers of non onitsha dialect that you have failed to notice in these conversations?
I don't see any thought process in this thread. A sane thread would have asked if we can adopt one or two standard igbo izugbe(s) by picking the most popular dialects used in written and public interactions. A better option would have been if we can incoporate certain or all igbo dialects into the current igbo izugbe. If he had started off on this note,we would have moved beyond this level by now.

There is no thought process in this thread other than cheruv who started asking for items in different igbo dialects.

3 Likes

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ChinenyeN(m): 8:18pm On Oct 25, 2015
Oh. Well, Ezeagu has been on NL for a while now. I guess I may have just viewed his thread based off what I've come to know about him as poster. So, to me, it was a thought exercise. That's not to say I don't understand where you're coming from, however.

Also, I saw those assertions you are talking about. Clearing up some of those assertions is the reason I joined the thread in the first place.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by mandax: 9:13pm On Oct 25, 2015
NRIPRIEST:

Again,how is Nnewi dialect and Orumba similar to Orlu? Stop beating around and address my points. You said they are hybrid of Imo and I want you to prove it. I know Nnewi ,Orumba and Orlu .

Many of the communities in Nnewi local government councils in Anambra state, including Orsu-Umuoghu, have the same ancestry with the many Orsu communities in Orlu area of Imo state. Even their Igbo dialects are the same.

In Ihialla local government council in Anambra state, the Uli and Amorka areas have same ancestry and Igbo dialects with the Mgbidi people in Imo state.

The two areas from Anambra and Imo states joined together with the rest in Orlu senatorial district in the demand for a sixth state to be created in the south east zone.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ezeagu(m): 9:23pm On Oct 25, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
I see Scholti moving in a better direction. I've seen some of your contributions/word formations and it's highly commendable.

Back to the subject of the thread,it's a pity if you(@Chin) see it as a mere thought process as against a brash suggestion of elevating a sectional dialect on a group of diverse igbo speakers. The introductory parts of the thread clearly alluded that a dialect is used and spoken by all Igbo people from Agbor and Aro without paying attention to the unique speech forms in the Southern parts of Igboland.
I'm even more surprised you don't notice the veiled insults in previous pages where onitsha dialect is labelled sexy and classy in order words,all other Igbo dialects especially those from southern igbo are uncultured, crude and tacky. Or is it the egocentric attitude of speakers of the onitsha dialect around speakers of non onitsha dialect that you have failed to notice in these conversations?
I don't see any thought process in this thread. A sane thread would have asked if we can adopt one or two standard igbo izugbe(s) by picking the most popular dialects used in written and public interactions. A better option would have been if we can incoporate certain or all igbo dialects into the current igbo izugbe. If he had started off on this note,we would have moved beyond this level by now.

There is no thought process in this thread other than cheruv who started asking for items in different igbo dialects.

If you'd actually set your emotions and personal gripes aside for a moment, you'd see that the thread is actually a criticism of the use of Onitsha Igbo over Igbo Izugbe. You may also find it useful to be more perceptive to rhetorical questions, sarcasm, and when someone is generally 'pulling your leg', such perception would avoid you playing to the tune of the jester and general onye uru (uru not ulu, hint?) called ezeagu.

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 9:55pm On Oct 25, 2015
ezeagu:

If you'd actually set your emotions and personal gripes aside for a moment, you'd see that the thread is actually a criticism of the use of Onitsha Igbo over Igbo Izugbe. You may also find it useful to be more perceptive to rhetorical questions, sarcasm, and when someone is generally 'pulling your leg', such perception would avoid you playing to the tune of the jester and general onye uru (uru not ulu, hint?) called ezeagu.
Human beings reserve the right to use personal discretions and still remain objective in the analysis and interpretation of facts. This thread never started as a criticism on the preference of onitsha dialect in place of others. It practically lacked precise knowledge and jumped into suggestions and conclusions,even the first respondents seem to be in support of the projections of the so called rhetoric question.
There is nothing like putting feelings aside here not with the false impressions, ego, assumptions and insults infused in this thread right from the beginning.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 10:03pm On Oct 25, 2015
mandax:

Many of the communities in Nnewi local government councils in Anambra state, including Orsu-Umuoghu, have the same ancestry with the many Orsu communities in Orlu area of Imo state. Even their Igbo dialects are the same.

In Ihialla local government council in Anambra state, the Uli and Amorka areas have same ancestry and Igbo dialects with the Mgbidi people in Imo state.

The two areas from Anambra and Imo states joined together with the rest in Orlu senatorial district in the demand for a sixth state to be created in the south east zone.
Are you from Orsu, Orlu area? I said i wasn't gonna write anything yet. That's what one gets when he cleaves to an artificial demacation.
Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Oct 25, 2015
Inasmuch as I have no interest in getting into what looks to me like a profitless and unnecessary back-and-forth, I still feel that (as one of the 'first respondents' who 'seem to be in support of the projections') I have to clarify what I said in my first comment. Not that I think a clarification is really necessary, but in the course of my membership of this forum, I have come to realise that unless statements are broken down and explained in simple language, some people just won't understand what is being said.

Yes, I think the so-called Onitsha Dialect is better than Izugbe. All the natural dialects are better than Igbo Izugbe, for the simple reason that Izugbe is an artificial tongue, an inorganic creation, an Esperanto. It's a laborious, mechanical language to speak (Izugbe, that is), it lacks poetic fluidity, and in its present form will never be accepted as a spoken standard. An acceptable standard will need to grow out naturally from the speakers themselves, in their daily interactions, and not from some committee. We already have candidates for such standards in NCI and SCI. This is a view I have already expressed on this forum.

So if someone comes to me and asks if I think Onitsha dialect (a natural dialect) is a better option as a literary standard than the present Izugbe (an artificial creation), my answer will be Yes.

If some other person asks me if I think Owerri dialect (a natural dialect) is a better option as a literary standard than the present Izugbe (an artificial creation), my answer will be Yes.

Just felt the need to clarify that. Although for people who are already familiar with my opinion on dialects and standards on this forum, this clarification isn't at all necessary.

6 Likes

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by Ihuomadinihu: 10:42pm On Oct 25, 2015
I never had you in mind when i wrote the latest comment as i've not seen much input from you. I was referring to those who felt they had the best dialect which should automatically be an izugbe without considering the opinions of the other groups.
I believe the general view(to an extent) is that a standard izugbe should gradually rise from any of the two central dialects without undue external influence or suggestions. Even at that, some people still maintain a fixed position(with scornful expressions thrown in) about which dialect must function as izugbe,even when i don't see that happening.

The OP should re-evaluate what a rhetoric question is. You ask questions and give way for responses which will ultimately determine the overall conclusion or answers to the question. You don't ask questions,get the responses and opinion from different groups, antagonize the opposing views, maintain a passionate stand and still expect people to see whatever intentions you had in mind.

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ezeagu(m): 11:04pm On Oct 25, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
I never had you in mind when i wrote the latest comment as i've not seen much input from you. I was referring to those who felt they had the best dialect which should automatically be an izugbe without considering the opinions of the other groups.
I believe the general view(to an extent) is that a standard izugbe should gradually rise from any of the two central dialects without undue external influence or suggestions. Even at that, some people still maintain a fixed position about which dialect must function as izugbe,even when i don't see that happening.

The OP should re-evaluate what a rhetoric question is. You ask questions and give way for responses which will ultimately determine the overall conclusion or answers to the question. You don't ask questions,get the responses and opinion, antagonize the opposing views,maintain an passionate stand and still expect people to see whatever rhetoric question you had in mind.

Most people understood the thread, look at the first comments, I don't actually know who the people are that were throwing insults or even explicitly said Onitsha Igbo is better or whatever, but I guess better time would have been spent questioning them instead of the motive of the thread which most people responded to in a way that shows they understand that threads are often opened with rhetorical questions to begin a conversation, which it did.

1 Like

Re: Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? by ezeagu(m): 11:15pm On Oct 25, 2015
And let me even just add that the reason why I put 'southern' and 'northern' in quote marks is because the terms can be a lot loser, someone from Umuahia / north Abia may have better understanding of the Onitsha Igbo much more than they would an Ikwere or what is spoken in Ugwuta, and not because of the popularity of Onitsha, but because of the closer patterns both dialects have as noted before despite the h/f l/n factor. The reverse would be said for dialects in Nsukka and Onitsha.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Suggest Igbo Names Starting With "P" / Is Taking Care Of Your Parents Your Responsibility? / Funny yoruba Names And Their Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.