Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,626 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:08 PM

Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With (48740 Views)

Why Nigerians Won't Occupy Nigeria As Fuel Subsidy Removed / Fani-Kayode Calls Bayo Shittu A Boko Haram Sympathiser Or A Coward / Senate Under Pressure Over Ngige, Amaechi, Shittu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by Nobody: 5:34pm On Oct 20, 2015
we are a secular country. government has no business in religion. It is against the constitution.

It's not the governments business to be involved in the lifting of pilgrims, the employment of religious clerics or making the learning of any religion compulsory.

Rather than making religion compulsory, we should make it compulsory to learn at least 2 of the major indigenous languages.

4 Likes

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by Chucks1989(m): 5:35pm On Oct 20, 2015
DelticStephEn:
Southwest!!!
it is indeed true that if you remove SS & SE from Nigeria that Nigeria will automatically Become "Sharia Republic"
TonyeBarcanista.
watcha say

I can't agree more!
Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:35pm On Oct 20, 2015
Gboliwe:

According to reports, he is a religious fanatic. Those people like the terrorist in aso rock are too dangerous.
Lol... Which terrorist in Aso rock? lipsrsealed
Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by datribune: 5:36pm On Oct 20, 2015
ALISMILE:
He took oda pples belief into consideration and that is why he recommends that all major religions shud be thought in sch! Why is dis soo hard for guys to understnd?

PAY RELIGIOUS LEADERS?!. Dis ar dangerous views. I'm one of PMB's greatest supporters but should i be a senator, i would reject dis nominee. We witness daily d ignoble roles our religious leaders play in d perpetration of corruption. We were living witnesses to their ignoble role in d last elections. We ar talking of democracy & u & dis Shittu guy ar talking of theocracy. What happened to separation of religion frm state?. Do u know how many religious beliefs there are ?. Guy, stop dis nonsense. Nigeria does not belong to only Xtians & Muslims.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by Nobody: 5:36pm On Oct 20, 2015
Now convince me that this man would not only serve the purpose of advancing a particular religion and sect after being installed as a minister. Please was this guy approved??
Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by AreaFada2: 5:37pm On Oct 20, 2015
chigoizie7:

Did he take other people's belief into consideration? Na only him get naija? To me, that is nonsense, he should not be made a minister because he is self oriented/centered, he is only particular about what he believes and not the plight of the people he is meant to serve. How could he say such a thing? Religious leaders should be paid? On what grounds? Why didn't he clamour for all unemployed graduates to be paid?

Don't waste your time arguing with them.

What has a secular FG got to do with all that gibberish he was spewing?

Even subsidising any form of pilmigrimage by govt is bad enough.

Religion should remain private. Not compromised by state.

How do you even force cleric to toe govt guidelines just because they received state money? grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by Nobody: 5:39pm On Oct 20, 2015
That guy looks like a Islamic fanatic and a wicked ogboni man.. angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by AderibigbeAAA(m): 5:42pm On Oct 20, 2015
My people will not see anything bad in giving 2/3 of their salaries to Pastors and Imams...but will fault paying religion leaders salaries in order to regulated them.

My people will be shouting Morality is declining, our children are not respectful, prostitutions and fornication is bad, I detest lie, I want a God-fearing man or woman. BUT make religious studies compulsory for kids n student in secondary schools, THEY SAY NO.

My people have held news n Event of cattles eating farmers crops n resulting in communal clashes, lose of economic values, dead of many innocent individuals as a result of this. ...But when a man tell u to build ranches , a stop the traditional method of rearing cattles they will make noise.

That was how one NLander was saying wearing Bum short for kids for outings is not bad

THE MAN WAS RIGHT

NIGERIAN CLAIM TO BE RELIGIOUS BUT IN REALITY THEY ARE JUST CHURCH N MOSQUES GOERS

1 Like

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by lukas280(m): 5:42pm On Oct 20, 2015
na wa oooooo so sina8 go screen this kind beah beah man wan he face b like confusionlist...dis kind man go fit cause religious wars.

1 Like

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by datribune: 5:42pm On Oct 20, 2015
BALLOSKI:
I watched him live. I'm not sure he said what you have as your number one.

Pls u need to change ur tv. Even, i who listened on radio heard him say so.

1 Like

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by Nobody: 5:42pm On Oct 20, 2015
tk4rd:
1. He is correct.. Pastors and priests are all religious leaders. Babalawos and Dibias and Ezenwaanyis.. They should all be paid by the government.
2. He is also correct here. Not only Christian and Islamic Religion should be compulsory. Hindu, Judaism, Buddaism are all religions, and should be made compulsory. Ifa, Arusi, Agballa and other forms of indigenous Traditional African religions should be made compulsory too.
3. Na here he failed it woefully.. Why did he consider only cattle ranches.?? He should also include fish-ponds, poultry farms, and other establishments for all other forms of livestock.

Hahahahaha, Nailed it! These people think with some other part of their body other than the brain.

2 Likes

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by taofeektaiwo(m): 5:44pm On Oct 20, 2015
Shittu has been in politics way back 1979, he is of high pedigree, played a sig..role in apc and thus selected non has accused him of fanatism let alone terrorist. Sincerely Tonye barcanista u not sacrifice for this country peace as much as he has, neither national fame as he has so pls just enjoy the show till he be confirm as minister
TonyeBarcanista:

How do you mean? It is not about Islam but about someone who believe that religion should take center-stage in our government institutions when we all know that Nigeria has no State religion. He's a fanatic and a potential terrorist
Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by buddydoze(m): 5:45pm On Oct 20, 2015
Abacha! grin
SirWere:
Iranu

1 Like

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by T4kbaba(m): 5:50pm On Oct 20, 2015
I carefully read all the comments on this topic and deducted that most commentators are highly subjective. Because the man appeared islamical and this does not make him fanatics or extremist.From his speech he said his secretary in his chamber is devoted christian.You cannot see any fanatics allowing other religions to come to his side.And mind you the man was member of house of assembly in his state at age of 26 when most of you still depend on your parent for survival.'Omo 9ja ronu'.
Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by ibadanfinest(m): 5:51pm On Oct 20, 2015
Oyo state don enter one chance o.
He should have simply advocated for freedom of religion as oppose making religion compulsory.

Saying religious leader should be paid to me is arrant nonsense. Paid for what exactly, although they r being paid directly or indirectly.

2 Likes

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:51pm On Oct 20, 2015
taofeektaiwo:
Shittu has been in politics way back 1979, he is of high pedigree, played a sig..role in apc and thus selected non has accused him of fanatism let alone terrorist. Sincerely Tonye barcanista u not sacrifice for this country peace as much as he has, neither national fame as he has so pls just enjoy the show till he be confirm as minister
I'm not in any contest with him sir
Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by Nobody: 5:53pm On Oct 20, 2015
For me, I think the man made valid points. We obviously can not take hold of his response in isolation of the question asked him.

However,I can't completely say he doesn't have that knack for fanatism. When he was asked about his role in a religious crisis that rocked the state some years back his response was not satisfactory:he parried.

Similary, when he was responding to the question on religious tolerance, his contenance betrayed his speech when he said he doesn't have the same world view about Rev. Moon. If his view world would be guided by Islamic injunction solely, in a secular (perhaps multi-religious) state in which he intends to serve as a federal minister not just to muslims. One could easily infer that his talk about freedom of worship was merely a lip service.

Aside from these, I guess he is qualified.

1 Like

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by Nobody: 5:56pm On Oct 20, 2015
AderibigbeAAA:

My people will not see anything bad in giving 2/3 of their salaries to Pastors and Imams...but will fault paying religion leaders salaries in order to regulated them.

My people will be shouting Morality is declining, our children are not respectful, prostitutions and fornication is bad, I detest lie, I want a God-fearing man or woman. BUT make religious studies compulsory for kids n student in secondary schools, THEY SAY NO.

My people have held news n Event of cattles eating farmers crops n resulting in communal clashes, lose of economic values, dead of many innocent individuals as a result of this. ...But when a man tell u to build ranches , a stop the traditional method of rearing cattles they will make noise.

That was how one NLander was saying wearing Bum short for kids for outings is not bad

THE MAN WAS RIGHT

NIGERIAN CLAIM TO BE RELIGIOUS BUT IN REALITY THEY ARE JUST CHURCH N MOSQUES GOERS

1. what a man does with own money is his prerogative, if he wants to use his money to pay jet fuel for Pastor, that's his right but until the constitution says otherwise, it is illegal to use my tax money for any religious purpose. Government money should not be used for religious purposes.

2. As Mr Shittu himself alluded, don't confuse religion with morality, we are probably the most "religious" country on Earth but all our religion has not made us morally upstanding people. It is a sad indictment of the religion we carry on our heads that one of the most religious countries in the world is one of the most corrupt. Think about that for a minute!!! All the Koranic schools ans Sunday schools have not created a nation of our "brother's keepers" and you think teaching religion in schools will help our cause?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by Kay03: 5:56pm On Oct 20, 2015
BALLOSKI:
I watched him live. I'm not sure he said what you have as your number one.
were you behind the tv or what?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by Lincoln275(m): 5:58pm On Oct 20, 2015
Hope dey didn't allow him to take a bow?
Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by princejenks(m): 5:59pm On Oct 20, 2015
Well,i didnt watch the screening but if what the op posted here is anything to go by,then it leaves one feeling uncomfortable. Am surprised some here dont see anything wrong with what he said,we dont need people with very strong expressed views of their religion in governance,a notable example is the confusion an aregbe has brought into governance in the state he governs with his wild religious beliefs. On the ranch issue,i dont really think its govt's business to be building such things at a time like this when it is short of funds cos cattle rearing is a business and its owners should be able to provide the said ranches or they can be helped through some kind of funding.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by chigoizie7(m): 6:08pm On Oct 20, 2015
ALISMILE:
I refer u to this;

U might still be right, but, all the money being made through religion, please were will it be remitted? FG or private? For crying out loud, those religious leaders make their own money, so, paying the so called leaders with state money is a total waste of the limited resources in the country currently. That is my stand. but shittu, as a "nominee"? permit me to say that his suggestions about paying clerics is 100% nonsense. It is unwise for him to make such suggestions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by ichoku: 6:08pm On Oct 20, 2015
Have you forgotten that this man was discovered after five months of intensive search
madridguy:
THE MAN MUST BE HIGH ON EXPIRED OYO WEED. THEY SHOULD SCREENED HIM OUT AND REPLACE HIM WITH A BETTER CANDIDATE JARE. PAY RELIGIOUS LEADER UNDER MY A$$
Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by rajwas(m): 6:14pm On Oct 20, 2015
I only agree with point No 2&3. can you imagine how many innocent lives that has been lost from the hands of Fulani cattle rearers.
Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by madridguy(m): 6:15pm On Oct 20, 2015
I am very sure the man was never part of the team that took PMB 5 months to compiled. I am afraid that OUR CHANGE has been hijacked.

ichoku:
Have you forgotten that this man was discovered after five months of intensive search
Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by francizy(m): 6:15pm On Oct 20, 2015
ALISMILE:
for Gods sake how do u jus jump to hang a man jus like that! Why do we tend to hate pple whose views about life re premised on Islam, even though the view is found to be faultless!

Mr. Man, there is everything wrong with his statements! He is a bigoted fanatic!

1. How will FG pay religious heads in spate of dwindling foreign reserves? Can government pay the likes of Adeboye and Oyedepo who can employ and all Nigerian government workers and pay them salaries without hitch? Instead of him to clamour for creation of jobs (for the jobless) via religious institutes, he's clamouring for government to spend more on the already wealthy religious officers.

2. We claim Nigeria is a secular state and yet you applaud a man who wants to force religion on the ones who doesn't practice or believe in religion! I mean, how will you make Christian Religious Knowledge compulsery in the north? I plead with you to openly advocate for that in the north and also advocate for Islamic studies in openly in the SE or SS, let's see if you will come out alive.

Religious studies should be taught but should never be compulsory, after all, what have we benefited from several years of religious practice cum fanatism if not bigotry, bloodshed, looting, backwardness, etc?

3. Cattle ranches should be established quit alright but government should endeavour to use that means to collect the necessary taxes from the herdsmen who have been evading tax. This will safeguard our farmers/villagers and increase revenue on the long run. Not that it is right tho, but just for the purpose of keeping our farmers alive.

So in essense, I only agree with his third statement as others are useless. I've now confirmed it that all Nairaland APC supporters (and probably real life supporters too) are religious fanatics if people can support this man's useless first and second statements above! Pukes!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by francizy(m): 6:18pm On Oct 20, 2015
tk4rd:
1. He is correct.. Pastors and priests are all religious leaders. Babalawos and Dibias and Ezenwaanyis.. They should all be paid by the government.
2. He is also correct here. Not only Christian and Islamic Religion should be compulsory. Hindu, Judaism, Buddaism are all religions, and should be made compulsory. Ifa, Arusi, Agballa and other forms of indigenous Traditional African religions should be made compulsory too.
3. Na here he failed it woefully.. Why did he consider only cattle ranches.?? He should also include fish-ponds, poultry farms, and other establishments for all other forms of livestock.

God bless you brother!!!

Cc ALISMILE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by Teeneyo(m): 6:20pm On Oct 20, 2015
ziccoit:
1. By paying the religion leaders that means the government would be able to regulate his activity. A Pastor/Imam can not just wake up from wrong side of his bed preaching hate message. The message would have to be channeled through some recognized body who are going to vet it and release it to the public.

2. There is no crime in making religion study compulsory at primary and secondary level of education. By having knowledge of dos and donts of my Neighbour religion would ensure harmony, peaceful coexistence and mutual respect.

3. Yes. Free range method of rearing is the course of communal clashes between the cattle farmers and their host community.

4. BH doesn't represent Islam.

So, it depends on how you view what he said. I believe he makes sense.
I agree with ur point sir.
Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by tolastikha: 6:23pm On Oct 20, 2015
THEN, I MUST HURRY UP AND REGISTER MY OWN CHURCH ⛪ " BELIEVERS PROPHETIC MINISTRY" AKA " NEW JERUSALEM EMBASSY". I MUST RESIGN FROM CIVIL SERVICE NOW TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS LEVITES' BLESSING.
Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by lumeneng22: 6:23pm On Oct 20, 2015
What did Me late and his gang really mean by no longer business as usual ? Is it after question and answer then bow and go? They are yet to disqualify any of the nominee is that screening?

1 Like

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by francizy(m): 6:26pm On Oct 20, 2015
detosho:

Actually, he also mentioned the payment of unemployed graduates and even asked the senate to adopt it as a law. I also don't think he specifically mentioned any religion, religious leaders include Babalawos as well as Imams and Pastors, he even advocated that the Senate should have a chaplain and an imam pray with them for the nation at every sitting. I'm not really comfortable with sponsoring religion with state funds, but I agree with him on placing the burden of national morality and Godliness on the shoulders of religious leaders, afterall they are the ones to whom the politicians run to for prayers and who are yet too cowardly to tell them boldly that stealing state resources is bad, evil and outrightly devilish

If I may ask, what has all the years of religious practice brought us if not sorrow, bigotry, hatred, fanatism, bloodshed in the north, looting in churches, etc. Am of Christian faith but if given the opportunity, I'll slap a pastor who dares make this ridiculous statements.

3 Likes

Re: Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With by chigoizie7(m): 6:28pm On Oct 20, 2015
ALISMILE:
He took oda pples belief into consideration and that is why he recommends that all major religions shud be thought in sch! Why is dis soo hard for guys to understnd?

U might still be right, what about where he said they should be paid? On a more serious note, I just made reference to were it concerns me the most. And that is paying them, for crying out loud, those in religion are one of the sets of richest Nigerians, if we (FG) pay them, then, all the money they make, where will it go? I am talking based on the current cash crunch facing the economy, and making silly suggestions @ this trying times Is the least I expected from a "MINISTERIAL NOMINEE". For crying out loud, what was he thinking?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Faces Behind Deal That Landed Nigeria In $9.6bn Mess / Obasanjo's Letter To Buhari: Twitter User Reacts With Football Terms / Governors Who Will Face Hottest Battles In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.