Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:51 AM

Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure (62690 Views)

MYTHBUSTER: This Is The Real Largest Man-made Structure, Not Eredo Ijebu / Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure / The Benin (igodomigodo) Moats - The Largest Man-made Earthworks In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by macof(m): 7:53pm On Oct 22, 2015
tpiander:

the last sentence in your post, about people walking two months in the structure.

of course I don't take that seriously
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by macof(m): 7:54pm On Oct 22, 2015
wytecat:
Yoruba man, I trust you to bring 'bini' into it. For some reason any topic shocasing Yoruba culture and civilization greatness just happens to be unsettling to you

Bini are not Yoruba but you manage to squeeze them in any topic of this kind to give them relevance at our expense

Also, "it's not man-made, yet it was "dug" by slaves, hahn? The slaves back then were machines.

People like you should never be taken under Yoruba's wing.

mad woman grin
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by wtfCode: 7:57pm On Oct 22, 2015
ChimaAdeoye:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

[size=18pt]Chest beaters!

As usual, making hilarious claims.

Why not the biggest man made object in the universe? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
[/size]
ewu
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by wytecat: 8:04pm On Oct 22, 2015
Insecure and confused Bat!
macof:

mad woman grin

2 Likes

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Akinrogun(m): 8:11pm On Oct 22, 2015
IamAtribalist:
cool I am not very surprised. I have always suspected that our amala-eating conehead compatriots are descendants of remarkable forbears. If you have lived among the coneheads you will know what am talking about. There is always this ancient depth and wisdom that underlies their culture and mannerism. Unfortunately, they have been corrupted by a sick Nigerian society and externally imposed religions (Christianity and Islam) -and now they have become the most conniving, cunning and manipulative political sector in the country. However, who can really blame them considering how frustrating/corrupt the Nigerian Zeitgist is. To be righteous in Nigeria is to be a fool. A real big fool.

When I visited South Africa 5 years ago, I met an old Zulu chief who told me the Zulu (his people) traded with ancient Yoruboid/Edoid tribes as far back 700 years before the Europeans came to the the Horn of Africa. Apparently (According to the chief) these conehead amala-eating muthafvckers and their Edo brothers build sea vessels that traveled from Western coast of Africa down to the shores of South Africa. I asked him how he knew they were Yorubas and he said all he knows is that those people came from the same place the present day South Westerners reside today - and the story has been passed on from generation to generation. He said grandfather visited Nigeria pre-independence and was able to swap stories or oral tradition of trade with some of the Egbas of the South West.

We Africans have lost our way. We have allowed the white man to tell us lies about our origin and our destiny. Findings like this should be used to enlighten our people (all over the world) to help us retrace back our steps so we can rule the world again. Who would have thought that the Jewel of the Middle Ages was built right here at home in Nigeria by descendants of our conehead conniving compatriots. Even though I am a tribalist - this is great news not only for Nigerians but Africans and blacks and all of humanity.
guy....u are damn hilarious.....it's like I'm on laughing gas right nw..... tho u are hitting below d belt regarding my tribe.....no problem
..Go On With One Nigeria (Gowon)!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by musicwriter(m): 8:12pm On Oct 22, 2015
pasol4real:

Oga u better start thanking God every day of life that the whites came to Africa ,cos I wonder what wud hav become of us .I don t understand why ppl cannot call a spade a spade .or are I saying that Africa wud hav bin better without the coming of the whites? What was our situation before they came ?even now ,with all the help n eye opening by the whites , Africa still lag far, far behind how much more without their help n assistance.
We just bid to admit the truth these guies are far more superior than we blacks n it's the simlple truth .
Or how do u explain the fact that civilization started in Africa yet Africa remains the most backward, poorest,blackest n most uncivilized in the world. undecided

According to your signature "the greatest problem of man is that we refuse to think". But, that's not how it should have been. It should have been "the greatest problem of man is that we refuse to think outside the box".

The problem with you, which unfortunately is the problem with a wider population of Africans is that you have not only refused to think outside the box, but you have also refused to learn, and read your history.

1. Do you know that here in Nigeria, specifically in Bini kingdom around 1200 century, British people stole some art works that were better than what Europeans can fashion out at that time?.

2. Are you aware there were no significant difference between development in Africa and Europe at that time?.

We are poor today because Africa was defeated militarily and enslaved for 450 years, not because we have always been poor. We were great and lived like kings and queens before our unfortunate contact with Europe. Great kingdoms fall, and it's normal in history. Greek fall, Rome fall, Africa fall, Britain fall, and if you follow events you'll see America is losing it to China.

So, as you can see, a fallen kingdom doesn't mean they weren't great people.

What people like you fail to understand is that history were being erased, and re-written to suit the conquerors. History is written by the victor not the vanquished. You believe we has always been poor because western education tell you so.

Fortunately, I've been able to go beyond western education getting info from various independent sources which doesn't support what your masters are telling you.

This medium isn't enough for me to say all I would ever want to tell you. Instead I've decided to write a book to open your eyes and that of people like you. I'll let you know when the book is out.

NB: If you want to respond me again, make sure you type in simple clear English that would be understandable to make sure we're both reading each other right. You can as well find someone to do that for you, otherwise, I'll not reply.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Akinrogun(m): 8:21pm On Oct 22, 2015
Shymm3x:

Nigeria is a zoo and the zoologist destroyed the Ijebus.
fixed
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by macof(m): 8:51pm On Oct 22, 2015
pasol4real:

Oga u better start thanking God every day of life that the whites came to Africa ,cos I wonder what wud hav become of us .I don t understand why ppl cannot call a spade a spade .or are I saying that Africa wud hav bin better without the coming of the whites? What was our situation before they came ?even now ,with all the help n eye opening by the whites , Africa still lag far, far behind how much more without their help n assistance.
We just bid to admit the truth these guies are far more superior than we blacks n it's the simlple truth .
Or how do u explain the fact that civilization started in Africa yet Africa remains the most backward, poorest,blackest n most uncivilized in the world. undecided

smh. yes Africa was better before foreigners came with their abominations to pollute our land and people. just look at u, a fair example of an African lost, striped off his identity like a slave
eye opening? grin more like eye closing
not that all whites are bad but most are and have always hated you black man... never feel gratitude to Caucasians, most of what they know they learnt from black people of north Africa, how were they repayed? by invading their lands
even till the 18th century, We had more knowledge than them; medicine, art, metallurgy etc. the only thing they had were Ships and Guns and oh yes, they also turned the bible into a weapon against us... like someone once said "they had the bible, we had the land, they said lets pray when we opened our eyes they had the land and dumped the bible with us "
they caged our minds and your mind is still caged

1 Like

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Rossikk(m): 11:02pm On Oct 22, 2015
proxillin:
Yorubas are not making use of their cultural heritage. There are many wonders in Ile-Ife..,

I don't believe they've done anything like enough archaeological research in Ile-Ife. I'm certain that if that place was given a really good dig, on the scale of what they do in places like Egypt and Mexico, we would discover amazing things.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by ToyozzieTohBad(f): 1:22am On Oct 23, 2015
And what role are you playing ? You dare open that your Egyptian bag of fleas infested mouth and spew "collective interest" Ewu!
Shymm3x:

Now I know you're actually more obtuse than I initially thought. Shut the fvck up about oil and oil money. Human development goes beyond funds and resources. Countries thrive when there are common interests and it's easier to work towards a certain goal.

No matter how much money you pump into a nation state, if interests can't be aligned - it will NEVER work. It's akin to pouring water into a basket cos no matter how much water you pour into it, the basket will never be able to retain anything.

Ponder on this and come back with a more cerebral rebuttal.

1 Like

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by tpiander: 1:57am On Oct 23, 2015
Rossikk:

I don't believe they've done anything like enough archaeological research in Ile-Ife. I'm certain that if that place was given a really good dig, on the scale of what they do in places like Egypt and Mexico, we would discover amazing things.

let's not dig right now.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Rossikk(m): 7:31am On Oct 23, 2015
tpiander:

let's not dig right now.

Why not?

1 Like

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by tpiander: 8:28am On Oct 23, 2015
Rossikk:

Why not?

It's not necessary.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Rossikk(m): 8:45am On Oct 23, 2015
pasol4real:

Oga u better start thanking God every day of life that the whites came to Africa ,cos I wonder what wud hav become of us .I don t understand why ppl cannot call a spade a spade .or are I saying that Africa wud hav bin better without the coming of the whites? What was our situation before they came?

''During the second half of the 15th century, Oba Ewuare the Great (ruled 1440-1473 AD) ordered a moat to be dug in the heart of Benin city. The earthworks served as a bastion and also afforded control of access to the capital which had nine gates that were shut at night. Travel notes of European visitors also described the Benin walls (e.g. Pacheco Pereira 1956: 130-147; Dapper 1668). It was finalized around 1460, at that time being the world's largest earthworks. (See historical photos of Benin City).

[b]Early European visitors never failed to be impressed with Benin City's grandeur and level of organization. Benin as it appears in documents of the seventeenth century: The natural reflection of centralized wealth was its magnificent capital city Benin.

Reports from the anonymous Dutchman D.R. (c. 1600) and David van Nyendael (some fifty years later) described Benin City as an extraordinarily extensive and flourishing city which easily matched the European metropolis of it's time (Hodgkin 1960: 119-120; Ben-Amos 1995: 42ff).

The Portuguese compared it with Lisbon, the Dutch with Amsterdam or Antwerp, the Italians with Florence, and the Spaniards with Madrid (Kea 1971: 187). Its size was matched by dense habitation; houses built close to each other along long, straight streets. The royal palace, a city within the city, was also impressive, with countless squares and patios and innumerable doors and passageways, all richly decorated with the art that has made Benin famous. ''The city was orderly, well laid out, and sparkling clean so that the walls of the houses appeared polished (Dapper 1693: 122). The peoples' clothes; some are dressed in white, others in yellow, others in blue or green; and the city captains are regular judges who resolve lawsuits, debates and conflicts[/b]''.''

http://www.assatashakur.org/forum/union-government-africa/30718-west-africa-pre-colonial-benin-kingdom.html

"The kingdom and the capital city were both called Benin. The city of Benin was laid out in a system of huge straight streets. These streets were very wide, very long, and well maintained... You could travel on foot in a straight line for 15 or 20 minutes and not see the end of the street. Other streets opened from the main streets. They were also wide. Houses were built in rows along all of the streets. On the street front side, houses had covered porches to keep people dry as they sat outside''.

"Dutch and Portuguese traders were invited into the king's palace - One wrote: "The king's court is very big, having within it many wide squares with galleries round them where watch is always kept. I went so far within this court that I passed through four such squares, and wherever I looked I still saw gate after gate which opened into other places."

http://www.gamji.com/article6000/NEWS7869.htm

''Lourenco Pinto, who captained a Portuguese ship that brought the so-called missionaries to Warri, the ancient port of Benin in 1619, sent the below deposition to the Sacra Congregazione at the instance of father Montelcone. ”All the city of this African Empire are organized, large and harmonious. The streets run straight and as far as the eyes can see. The houses are large; especially those of the king, which is richly decorated and has fine columns. The city is wealthy and industrious.”

Before that period, the great Benin Empire had built a unique defensive wall around its principal cities. The magnitude and complexity of this great wall has qualified it to be entered in the Guinness Book of Records as the greatest earth moving work ever constructed by man. With an estimated total length in excess of 20,000km, the great Benin wall is the longest running military defensive network ever built by man.

http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/the-great-bini-empire-african-legacy/comment-page-1/

3 Likes

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Jimbaz7(m): 11:52am On Oct 23, 2015
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by macof(m): 1:57pm On Oct 23, 2015
Rossikk:

That's right. But it would take an Ooni that has love for such a thing and support from the Osun state government
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nmeri17: 3:53pm On Oct 23, 2015
Rossikk:

When we stopped believing we could achieve great things. Colonialism destroyed our self-belief.

The Eredo earthworks could not be built today. We lack the self-esteem, organisation, unity, and long-term vision to even contemplate such an effort.
The summation of the matter couldn't have been put more succinctly!!
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Shymm3x: 4:12pm On Oct 23, 2015
ToyozzieTohBad:
And what role are you playing ? You dare open that your Egyptian bag of fleas infested mouth and spew "collective interest" Ewu!

Is that how ya mum and dad told you to open ya putrid mouth to strangers, you insolent little chicken head having sket?
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nmeri17: 4:20pm On Oct 23, 2015
Rossikk:

''During the second half of the 15th century, Oba Ewuare the Great (ruled 1440-1473 AD) ordered a moat to be dug in the heart of Benin city. The earthworks served as a bastion and also afforded control of access to the capital which had nine gates that were shut at night. Travel notes of European visitors also described the Benin walls (e.g. Pacheco Pereira 1956: 130-147; Dapper 1668). It was finalized around 1460, at that time being the world's largest earthworks. (See historical photos of Benin City).

[b]Early European visitors never failed to be impressed with Benin City's grandeur and level of organization. Benin as it appears in documents of the seventeenth century: The natural reflection of centralized wealth was its magnificent capital city Benin.

Reports from the anonymous Dutchman D.R. (c. 1600) and David van Nyendael (some fifty years later) described Benin City as an extraordinarily extensive and flourishing city which easily matched the European metropolis of it's time (Hodgkin 1960: 119-120; Ben-Amos 1995: 42ff).

The Portuguese compared it with Lisbon, the Dutch with Amsterdam or Antwerp, the Italians with Florence, and the Spaniards with Madrid (Kea 1971: 187). Its size was matched by dense habitation; houses built close to each other along long, straight streets. The royal palace, a city within the city, was also impressive, with countless squares and patios and innumerable doors and passageways, all richly decorated with the art that has made Benin famous. ''The city was orderly, well laid out, and sparkling clean so that the walls of the houses appeared polished (Dapper 1693: 122). The peoples' clothes; some are dressed in white, others in yellow, others in blue or green; and the city captains are regular judges who resolve lawsuits, debates and conflicts[/b]''.''

http://www.assatashakur.org/forum/union-government-africa/30718-west-africa-pre-colonial-benin-kingdom.html

"The kingdom and the capital city were both called Benin. The city of Benin was laid out in a system of huge straight streets. These streets were very wide, very long, and well maintained... You could travel on foot in a straight line for 15 or 20 minutes and not see the end of the street. Other streets opened from the main streets. They were also wide. Houses were built in rows along all of the streets. On the street front side, houses had covered porches to keep people dry as they sat outside''.

"Dutch and Portuguese traders were invited into the king's palace - One wrote: "The king's court is very big, having within it many wide squares with galleries round them where watch is always kept. I went so far within this court that I passed through four such squares, and wherever I looked I still saw gate after gate which opened into other places."

http://www.gamji.com/article6000/NEWS7869.htm

''Lourenco Pinto, who captained a Portuguese ship that brought the so-called missionaries to Warri, the ancient port of Benin in 1619, sent the below deposition to the Sacra Congregazione at the instance of father Montelcone. ”All the city of this African Empire are organized, large and harmonious. The streets run straight and as far as the eyes can see. The houses are large; especially those of the king, which is richly decorated and has, fine columns. The city is wealthy and industrious.”

Before that period, the great Benin Empire had built a unique defensive wall around its principal cities. The magnitude and complexity of this great wall has qualified it to be entered in the Guinness Book of Records as the greatest earth moving work ever constructed by man. With an estimated total length in excess of 20,000km, the great Benin wall is the longest running military defensive network ever built by man.

http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/the-great-bini-empire-african-legacy/comment-page-1/
lol. Owky. Agreed. They were as mighty, advanced and civilized as the elite European cities of their time. My sole confusion arises when I wonder how the Benin expedition succeeded with only a thousand two hundred British foot soldiers. No airstrikes nor reinforcements to the British army and besides, the Brits had delegates in other parts of Africa at the same time scrambling for colonies so it's not like it was a head on war. Surely, somebody lied!!
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Rossikk(m): 4:46pm On Oct 23, 2015
Nmeri17:
lol. Owky. Agreed. They were as mighty, advanced and civilized as the elite European cities of their time. My sole confusion arises when I wonder how the Benin expedition succeeded with only a thousand two hundred British foot soldiers. No airstrikes nor reinforcements to the British army and besides, the Brits had delegates in other parts of Africa at the same time scrambling for colonies so it's not like it was a head on war. Surely, somebody lied!!

For the last few thousands of years of human civilization, Europeans were not superior to Africans technologically. It was only in the last 300 years or so that a unique industrial revolution occurred in Europe, which arose from the defeat of the European monarchies by the new mercantile elite. Resources then went into enriching this new elite, as opposed to the monarchies. This investment in commerce led to the industrial revolution. It's not like it was something planned. It just arose out of human politics. There's no reason to feel ''inferior'' to white folks. If they were superior to you they would have been advanced thousands of years ago, not just a few centuries ago. When THEY were backward and lived in caves, it was black Africans who were busy inventing mathematics, medicine, science, engaging in seafaring, international trade, and building prosperous, sophisticated societies, the world over, not just in Africa. You may not realise it, but the first civiilizations of India, China, and South America were founded by black Africans. The original statues of Krishna are of a black man.

http://www.kamat.com/kalranga/colors/black/4843.htm

Traces of a global civilization run by blacks in antiquity are actually very easy to find.

1 Like

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nmeri17: 5:04pm On Oct 23, 2015
Rossikk:

[s]
For the last few thousands of years of human civilization, Europeans were not superior to Africans technologically. It was only in the last 300 years or so that a unique industrial revolution occurred in Europe, which arose from the defeat of the European monarchies by the new mercantile elite. Resources then went into enriching this new elite, as opposed to the monarchies. This investment in commerce led to the industrial revolution. It's not like it was something planned. It just arose out of human politics. There's no reason to feel ''inferior'' to white folks. If they were superior to you they would have been advanced thousands of years ago, not just a few centuries ago. When THEY were backward and lived in caves, it was black Africans who were busy inventing mathematics, medicine, science, engaging in seafaring, international trade, and building prosperous, sophisticated societies, the world over, not just in Africa. You may not realise it, but the first civiilizations of India, China, and South America were founded by black Africans. The original statues of Krishna are of a black man.

http://www.kamat.com/kalranga/colors/black/4843.htm

Traces of a global civilization run by blacks in antiquity are actually very easy to find. [/s]

na simple question I ask o
My sole confusion arises when I wonder how the Benin expedition succeeded with only a thousand two hundred British foot soldiers. No airstrikes nor reinforcements to the British
army and besides, the Brits had delegates in other parts of
Africa at the same time scrambling for colonies so it's not
like it was a head on war.
or should I rephrase in pidgin?? wink olait. smiley

"how the oyibo pipo dem take overpawa we countrymen dem with 'ONLAY' 1200 sojjas?? according to the tori way you yarn, our ijebu ancestors tranga KAKA-RAKA come tear eye join sotay we fee com-PEAR dem with the oyibo pipo dem so how come dem no fit withstand only 1200 foreign forces??"

We haven't even put into consideration the absence of any allied forces preventing the siege and utter destruction of our "great Empire" under just ten days to a point where only vestiges are left off. Or were we so great, we had no need for any league or comrade in war?? cheesy
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nobody: 5:16pm On Oct 23, 2015
Nmeri17:

"how the oyibo pipo dem take overpawa we countrymen dem with 'ONLAY' 1200 sojjas?? according to the tori way you yarn, our ijebu ancestors tranga KAKA-RAKA come tear eye join sotay we fee com-PEAR dem with the oyibo pipo dem so how come dem no fit withstand only 1200 foreign forces??"

We haven't even put into consideration the absence of any allied forces preventing the siege and utter destruction of our "great Empire" under just ten days to a point where only vestiges are left off. Or were we so great, we had no need for any league or comrade in war?? cheesy

But the answer is simply, really: Better, more sophisticated weapons.

Africans didn't have anything that could match the Maxim machine guns and the six-pounder cannons of the Europeans.

Don't forget that it took like 60 or so Spaniards with guns to mow down the vast armies of thousands of the Inca and Aztec Empires.

In wars it's not always about numbers. It's usually about superiority of the military technology.

2 Likes

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nmeri17: 5:28pm On Oct 23, 2015
Radoillo:
Better, more sophisticated weapons.
SIMPLE AND SHORT!!!!!!

All this talk about African civilization remotely being on par with the Europeans' is simply valiant patriotic chatter aimed at being a framework for covetous black people to poorly build their shambolic egos upon. cheesy The people with nappy hair should learn to accept the bitter truth!!
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Awoofawo(m): 5:31pm On Oct 23, 2015
Nmeri17:

we haven't even put into consideration the absence of any allied forces preventing the siege and utter destruction of our "great Empire". Or were we so great, we had no need for any league or comrade in war?? cheesy

You real got white-complex problem........

Not everyone think like you, all information you need are freely available online. Stop being myopic.

As the mean of waging war improved, those that have them alway emerged victorious.
That fact the white has unlimited access to gun-powder/ammunitions greatly aid them in that war against the Benin. If you read your history, you know that the Benin in the first encounter wipe out the Brithish force including their commandant....the subsequent Brithish victory arise from combined forces from Ghana, Northner Nigeria infantries ambush during a sacred festival in Benin ( At time Benin warriors were more relax)

Now about Benin been conquered is nothing new, many great nations had come and gone... Only insignificance , irrevelence tribes have never be under dominion in one form or the other..their been conquered shown how signficance Benin kingdom was and still is.

1 Like

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nobody: 5:32pm On Oct 23, 2015
Nmeri17:
SIMPLE AND SHORT!!!!!!

All this talk about African civilization remotely being on par with the Europeans' is simply valiant patriotic chatter aimed at being a framework for covetous black people to poorly build their shambolic egos upon. cheesy The people with nappy hair should learn to accept the bitter truth!!

But truth be told, being ahead in military technology doesn't necessarily mean you had a better or a more advanced civilization. It just means you are ahead in that one sector.

The Aztec and the Inca were in many ways more civilised than the barbarian Spaniards that conquered them so easily.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Awoofawo(m): 5:36pm On Oct 23, 2015
Radoillo:

But the answer is simply, really: Better, more sophisticated weapons.

Africans didn't have anything that could match the Maxim machine guns and the six-pounder cannons of the Europeans.

Don't forget that it took like 60 or so Spaniards with guns to mow down the vast armies of thousands of the Inca and Aztec Empires.

In wars it's not always about numbers. It's usually about superiority of the military technology.

Well said!!!

Even even Chinese who invented gun powder and rocket and introduced it to the world, fall to superior military power....
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nmeri17: 5:38pm On Oct 23, 2015
Awoofawo:
the subsequent Brithish victory arise from combined forces from Ghana, Northner Nigeria infantried ambush during a sacred festival in Benin ( At time Benin warriors were more relax)
you don't say?? shocked you'll do well to show any documented evidence of this connivance
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Awoofawo(m): 5:52pm On Oct 23, 2015
Radoillo:

But truth be told, being ahead in military technology doesn't necessarily mean you had a better or a more advanced civilization. It just means you are ahead in that one sector.

The Aztec and the Inca were in many ways more civilised than the barbarian Spaniards that conquered them so easily.

Bro stop engaging him.....he has sink deep into cesspit of inferior-complex, his case is hopeless and ca't be save. Ignoring folks like this is more profitable.....

Unknow to many Spanish claim to been civilize was a product of the Moor ( a black civilization) , the Brithish royal house has a trace of black bloodline in it, same with Russian elites in which black noble played significant roles in its making......a little research is all that is need to uncover all liar, western media are feeding us to undermine us from discovering the truth about ourself....
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nmeri17: 5:54pm On Oct 23, 2015
Radoillo:

we're not talking of strategies of warfare o! Technologies. what was the African equivalent of the European solitary advancement in the military sector?? nothing! kiss or will you mention voodoo??

only six European powers overcoming the entire Africa and American colonies and their so called advancement. What type of advancement is that
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Pdizzle(m): 6:35pm On Oct 23, 2015
damola1:
We failed our ancestors.

When did we become so backward?

Though already a world heritage https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sungbo%27s_Eredo
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nobody: 7:59pm On Oct 23, 2015
Radoillo:

Modern civilization rest on technological advancement! Sadly!
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Rossikk(m): 8:24pm On Oct 23, 2015
Nmeri17:
SIMPLE AND SHORT!!!!!!

By referencing the industrial revolution (1760-1840) I was getting to the root of the matter. Sure, superior military technology directly accounted for the conquest of Africa, but it was the Industrial Revolution that created the urge, ability and impetus in Europe to harness the advantages of gunpowder, learned from the Chinese. Their desperation to acquire raw materials to feed their industrial revolution, their new machine-oriented economies, spurred them to develop advanced weapons to enable them seize such resources from foreign lands. That was why they had guns and we had swords and cavalry. In Africa, there was no perceived need by the ruling classes to develop advanced weapons. Barely decades earlier, those same whites had fought with the same old iron weapons the Africans, Indians, Chinese etc had used for the previous 10,000 years. So not just Africans, ALL world civilizations were caught napping by the sudden western military advantage. It enabled the west to go on a global land grab, from Africa to the Americas, India, the Caribbean, China and beyond, from which we are all yet to recover.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Imo State Mandatory Bride Prize List / In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint / Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.