Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,408 members, 7,826,579 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling (5659 Views)

Jackie Chan Supports Death Penalty For Drug Offences / Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans / Nigerian Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging In Malaysia For Drug Trafficking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by congoshine(m): 10:18pm On May 01, 2009
Samantha Orobotor got pregnant in prison. . . who dunnit ?!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8029787.stm
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by AloyEmeka9: 10:20pm On May 01, 2009
She is British hoooohaaaaa. If na gold medal she win now, dem no go put Nigeria now.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by blacksta(m): 10:21pm On May 01, 2009
no be me  ooooooooooooo grin
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Pittbaby(f): 10:21pm On May 01, 2009
Mr Man you are late , two people have already posted this thread
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by sbo(m): 10:33pm On May 01, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

She is British hoooohaaaaa. If na gold medal she win now, dem no go put Nigeria now.
That's how it is my brother.

Also, her travel itinerary speak volumes. From Thailand to Netherlands and Laos, I need not to say more.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Kobojunkie: 10:58pm On May 01, 2009
@Aloy, the Article has her listed as a Briton. Yes, she was born a Nigerian and her father is in Nigeria but her relatives in Ireland, however you are told she is a brit.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by blacksta(m): 11:06pm On May 01, 2009
Just saw it  on the Tv  bbc news  - What the hell was she doing in Laos - it is not like it is the tourist center of the world.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by congoshine(m): 11:13pm On May 01, 2009
Pittbaby:

Mr Man you are late , two people have already posted this thread
@Pittbaby,
Didn't see them.

But its quite sad sha. . . .the key question is- how did she get pregnant?

I think we(Nairalanders) should petition the Fed Govt to demand an enquiry. . . No bloody asian should be firing our girls anyhow while they're in prison custody. grin

Anyone agree with me?
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by oderemo(m): 3:43am On May 02, 2009
What the hell was she doing in Laos

i thought you meant LAGOS shocked shocked sad grin grin
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Litmus: 4:21pm On May 02, 2009
Heard and read the Laosan are hurriedly bringing the trial forward. Are those people seriously contemplating executing a woman with a child in her stomach?  I’m, only conjecturing, but seems as if they’d like to kill her before her belly swells too much or she gives birth. Where will they aim thire guns? jesus! Sometimes I feel Asians live to try to remind white people how to deal with blacks. The thought of those dog consuming chinks tying a black woman to a post, or something, and shooting her, is so evocative of the dehumanisation of slaves, my spirit cries out with rage. I swear, If they shoot that woman, I will personally beat up or do worst, to any individual that I meet who is from Loas whether they know Kun-fu or not.

here are a few emoticons to remind everyone how the bastards look:- grin grin grin grin
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by blackspade(m): 5:36pm On May 02, 2009
Sad, that lady is too pretty to be into that type of business. cry
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Horus(m): 5:43pm On May 02, 2009
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by RICHIEBOI1(m): 6:38pm On May 02, 2009
blackspade:

Sad, that lady is too pretty to be into that type of business. cry

Hmmmm! guy you funny oo! looks can be deceptive.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Litmus: 8:02pm On May 02, 2009
suppose she gave birth and those people took the  baby, tied it to a post and shot it dead would the world be outraged?

Perhaps it is more acceptable to execute a baby tied to the womb rather than one tied to a post. 

On the other hand, maybe the muted response is because the baby is only half Nigerian while the other half is a yellow animal so no one much cares….
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by JJYOU: 8:19pm On May 02, 2009
why do we always take this stand that being nigerian rxcuse you from the law. why do crimes if you cant stand the purnishment?

do we ever think of the users of these drugs people like this sell? of course not she is nigerian so she must have the right to use her BMW and BENZ. yesterday it was yetunde in ghana today this fool? the fool has the opportunity to get free education in london she wont use it because it is easier selling drugs and living big after i am nigerian who dare ask?.

and the shameless mother have the mouth to talk.

do you people believe any crime should be purnished at all?
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by congoshine(m): 8:37pm On May 02, 2009
JJYOU:

why do we always take this stand that being nigerian rxcuse you from the law. why do crimes if you cant stand the purnishment?

do we ever think of the users of these drugs people like this sell? of course not she is nigerian so she must have the right to use her BMW and BENZ. yesterday it was yetunde in ghana today this fool? the fool has the opportunity to get free education in london she wont use it because it is easier selling drugs and living big after i am nigerian who dare ask?.

and the shameless mother have the mouth to talk.

do you people believe any crime should be purnished at all?

Chilax fool !
We're only concerned she's being banged really hard in prison ,dats all tongue tongue tongue
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by JJYOU: 9:40pm On May 02, 2009
congoshine:

Chilax fool !
We're only concerned she's being banged really hard in prison ,dats all tongue tongue tongue
as if you didnt know your smart sister is taking advantage as most of them do.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by systems: 10:33pm On May 02, 2009
She is just 20years na wah oh. Wait oh, how did she get pregnant while in prison? Could be her boy friend in Laos paid her conjugal visits.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by manmustwac(m): 10:49pm On May 02, 2009
Imagine if she had got away you'd never expect her to report the drugs to the authority and say that 1.5lb tons of heroine dosen't belong to her?
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Litmus: 1:57am On May 03, 2009
Call me naïve on the other hand don’t. Thing is, with the whole world to choose from why would she peddle drug in a country known for executing drug traffickers? What sort of money can anyone make selling drugs in Laos or lamo whatever they call it?  In other words, has it been proven she carried drugs or is it simply the case that because we Nigerians like to criticise ourselves, those nations who organise their lives by, numbers, packages and stereotypes, find easy target in Nigerians.

We’re like the new Jews,  worst, the perfect victims, the holy grail of people to be prejudiced against that the outside world has been waiting for ever since political correctness deprived them of their dummy.   

….and I don buy that pity the drug taker nonsense Americans like to push to the world. As far as I’m concerned, if a man/woman is stupid or weak enough to take drugs, in spite of all the information out there on the consequences, then the they are equally to blame for the proliferation of drugs.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:05am On May 03, 2009
I bet it's EloSela
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Nobody: 3:04am On May 03, 2009
Christine Ohuruogu won Olympic 400m gold for Britain with a stunning surge down the home straight in Beijing.

The 24-year-old crossed the line in 49.62 seconds to eclipse Jamaica's Shericka Williams and American title favourite Sanya Richards.

Ohuruogu, who last summer completed a one-year ban for missing three out-of-competition drugs tests, added the Olympic crown to her world title.

The win makes Ohuruogu the first British female Olympic 400m champion.

"Everyone dreams about winning," said Ohuruogu, who sunk to the floor after her triumph. "But you never think it's a reality.

"I'm just so proud of myself. I crossed the line and just thought 'oh my goodness'.

"It's hard but my coach has always taught me you have to go into each race expecting to win."

Ohuruogu looked out of the race coming into the final bend but the Briton timed her race to perfection, just as she did in Osaka at the world championships last summer.

Video - Proud Ohuruogu stunned with gold
Richards, who went into the final as the overwhelming favourite after a dominant season, blasted out of the blocks but paid the price for the early pace.

As the American faded, Ohuruogu drew on her strength and pushed clear for the line to leave her rivals in her wake.

Williams took second in 49.69 secs with Richards settling for third in 49.93.

Two years ago, Ohuruogu's Olympic dreams were in tatters after she was handed a one-year ban for missing a trio of drugs tests.

Under British Olympic Association laws, any drugs offence results in an automatic lifetime ban from future Games. OLYMPICS BLOG
What a run. What a final 60m. What a 49.62 seconds

BBC Sport's Tom Fordyce

However, Ohuruogu successfully won an appeal last November because of "mitigating circumstances".

The Londoner was not at various training locations at specific times she had specified to testers and blamed a combination of 'forgetfulness" and last-minute venue changes.

Ohuruogu was born in Stratford, East London, just a few miles from the site for the London Games in 2012 and is tipped to be a star in four years' time, when her talented younger sister Victoria could also emerge as a challenger to her crown.

Ohuruogu's victory at the Bird's Nest stadium came just after Germaine Mason collected Britain's first athletics medal of the Games with silver in the high jump.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/athletics/7569859.stm

Kobojunkie

I think the above is the point Aloy.Emeka was making.

Why did BBC not remind us of Christine Ohurugo's origin?

There is no point arguing for the sake of it
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by EloSela(f): 4:33am On May 03, 2009
mikeansy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/athletics/7569859.stm

Kobojunkie

I think the above is the point Aloy.Emeka was making.

Why did BBC not remind us of Christine Ohurugo's origin?

There is no point arguing for the sake of it

Ohuruogu was born and brought up in East London [/b]and even when she missed several drug tests and was banned from competing her origin wasn't mentioned.
Samantha Orobotor came to [b]England just 12 years ago
, aged 8. Her origin is worth mentioning if you ask me.

Here is another British article where her origin is not mentioned and she is referred to as a Briton but her birthplace isn't mentioned.

Pregnant British woman Samantha Orobator facing death by firing squad in Laos
A pregnant British woman, Samantha Orobator, is facing death by firing squad for smuggling heroin in what campaigners describe as a "hasty show trial" in Laos.

By Thomas Bell, South East Asia Correspondent
Last Updated: 3:16PM BST 01 May 2009
Samantha Orobator: Pregnant British woman facing death by firing squad in Laos
Samantha Orobator became pregnant in unknown circumstances in December Photo: PA

Miss Orobator, 20, from London was arrested last August at Wattay airport in the south east Asian country.

Prosecutors claim she had 680 grams (1.3lb or 21 oz) of heroin in her luggage.

According to the legal campaign group Reprieve she has not met a lawyer since she was arrested 9 months ago but it is believed that she denies the drugs were hers.

Under Lao law the death penalty is mandatory for possession of over 500 grams of heroin. At least 39 people have been sentenced to death for a variety of offences since 2003.

On Thursday, without warning or explanation, the government of Laos rescheduled Miss Orobator's trial for next week, but they have still not announced which day the case will begin.

A statement by Reprieve said: "By scheduling her trial for next week, the Laos court has made it impossible for any lawyer to prepare an adequate defence,  Samatha's life now hangs in the balance." The fast tracking of the trial came as the Lao authorities knew that a lawyer from Reprieve was preparing to meet Miss Orobator for the first time.

"Laos appears to be acting in a way that frustrates Samantha's right to appropriate legal assistance," Reprieve concluded.

Miss Orobator became pregnant in unknown circumstances in December, four months after she was arrested. "It is not possible to confirm whether she was raped," Reprieve said.

"The prison where she is being held in Phonthong is meant to be all female, but this is apparently not the case."

Reports of the notoriously abusive Phonthong prison describe "highly unsanitary" conditions, inadequate rations and severe punishments for supposed breaches of discipline.

Reprieve said: "Samantha is severely distressed, and Reprieve has grave concerns for her health and that of her unborn child." Another British prisoner, Michael Newman, died after being reportedly refused medical attention at the same prison last year.

Miss Orobator had been on holiday in Holland, Thailand and Laos for around a month when she was arrested as she began her journey home.

Her friends in London, interviewed by Reprieve researchers preparing her defence, say she had never been involved with drugs.

One of her former teachers said, "She was very popular. I remember she had a bizarre sense of humour. She was very bright,  she always got As and Bs." There is no British embassy in Laos, a communist dictatorship of 6 million people. British diplomats in next door Thailand only learnt of her detention months after she was arrested. Since then she has been allowed to meet a consular official for only 20 minutes every month, always with a guard present.

A spokesman for the British embassy in Bangkok said: "We have been actively engaging with the Lao authorities at a senior level."

In a press conference at Westminster on Friday the human rights lawyer and founder of Reprieve, Clive Stafford Smith, called on Miss Orobator's MP, Harriet Harman, to intervene on her behalf. The foreign minister of Laos is visiting Britain on 7 May.  undecided undecided

It is a shame that it escaped you that in spite of her birth place Samantha is still being referred to as 'a British woman' in the British press and that her case is being supported by the British government. That in itself speaks volumes because had she not left Nigeria aged 8, remained with her father who is still there and gotten caught up in this mess she would have been up to the Nigerian government to try and plead her case and we all know how that would have panned out.

You're right. No point arguing for the sake of it.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by sbo(m): 9:27am On May 03, 2009
EloSela:

It is a shame that it escaped you that in spite of her birth place Samantha is still being referred to as 'a British woman' in the British press and that her case is being supported by the British government. That in itself speaks volumes because had she not left Nigeria aged 8, remained with her father who is still there and gotten caught up in this mess she would have been up to the Nigerian government to try and plead her case and we all know how that would have panned out.

You are right. In fact I heard on Sky news that the British Govt have provided her with Legal represenation and that she has been visited by the British High Commissioner thrice since she was imprisoned. But that is the British for you - Citizenship diplomacy.
As far as they are concerned, whether she is guilt or not, the rule of law must be adhered to. And more importantly, human life is very important.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by congoshine(m): 11:32am On May 03, 2009
sbo:

You are right. In fact I heard on Sky news that the British Govt have provided her with Legal represenation and that she has been visited by the British High Commissioner thrice since she was imprisoned. But that is the British for you - Citizenship diplomacy.
As far as they are concerned, whether she is guilt or not, the rule of law must be adhered to. And more importantly, human life is very important.

We need to fix power and police first. . . . . .one step at a time.

This almost 50 year old woman called Nigeria will make it - by God's grace !
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Jaybee2412(m): 5:38pm On May 03, 2009
To Litmus
Your comments are too insensitive and naive; We are talking about a twenty year young lady who out of deception might have been lured into being a mule. We are also talking about the lives of two human beings potentially at stake! You should be more empathetic of your fellow human beings for whatever reasons for their plight!
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by smurf1(f): 5:58pm On May 03, 2009
eyah, and she's so cute, cry cry cry cry
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Bastage: 4:00pm On May 04, 2009
My bet is that she got pregnant in prison as a way to get out of the firing squad.
The forced mule argument could be a believable one if she was smuggling drugs in, but she was smuggling them out.
Quite simply, it looks like she was muling through the Netherlands, onto Bangkok and then picking up another assignment at Laos. That looks way more like a professional mule than someone being forced to carry.

I doubt very much wether she will be executed but will probably get a life term. Even if she were to be executed, they would wait for the child to be born. On the other hand, it is possible that she was raped in jail and that the Laos authorities want to get the trial over before the accusations start coming out. If she wasn't raped, it says a lot about her character.

By the way - Google her name and you will see that every news report states that she is British. Her family were granted asylum and she was given citizenship when her uncle was killed in Naija. Trying to read racism into this is crass.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by SeanT21(f): 6:39pm On May 04, 2009
I saw this on CNN and she was referred to as British.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Nobody: 9:25pm On May 04, 2009
EloSela:

Ohuruogu was born and brought up in East London [/b]and even when she missed several drug tests and was banned from competing her origin wasn't mentioned.
Samantha Orobotor came to [b]England just 12 years ago
, aged 8. Her origin is worth mentioning if you ask me.

Here is another British article where her origin is not mentioned and she is referred to as a Briton but her birthplace isn't mentioned.

You're right. No point arguing for the sake of it.
you are missing something ma'am. if she was the Nigeria, the chances of this mess happening would have been next to nothing.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by EloSela(f): 9:43pm On May 04, 2009
I am not missing anything. Again if she had not become a British citizen and gotten caught up in this mess as a Nigerian then this very thread and the headlines that had made the world about this story would not exist. There are tons of Nigerians currently on death row in Asian prisons for drug offences. Ladies too, who like Samantha have been taken advantage of by the guards and are currently pregnant and still facing the death penalty.But sadly no one is taking up for them like they are Samantha.

OMO IBO:

you are missing something ma'am. if she was the Nigeria, the chances of this mess happening would have been next to nothing.
Re: British-nigerian Lady To Be Shot In Laos For Drug Smuggling by Nobody: 9:36am On May 05, 2009
EloSela:

I am not missing anything. Again if she had not become a British citizen and gotten caught up in this mess as a Nigerian then this very thread and the headlines that had made the world about this story would not exist. There are tons of Nigerians currently on death row in Asian prisons for drug offences. Ladies too, who like Samantha have been taken advantage of by the guards and are currently pregnant and still facing the death penalty.But sadly no one is taking up for them like they are Samantha.

how many Nigerians around the age of 20 would be caught up in similar mess? you cant deny the fact that if was in nigeria and prolly grew up in Nigeria the likelyhood of this thing happening is and would be minimal

(1) (2) (Reply)

Russia Bombing The Shit Out Of The Entire Ukraine / Happy 51st Birthday To Barack Obama / E.X.P.O.S.E.D!! Ghanaian Voodoo Priest Has Seen More Than 1700 Pastors & Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.