Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback (6188 Views)

Terry G At Slot HQ, Lagos, Stages A Huge Comeback / Funke Akindele To Remarry As JJC Proposes / Funke Akindele Might Not Have A Child In Life - Popular Prophet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by AloyEmeka9: 10:22pm On May 01, 2009
http://odili.net/news/source/2009/may/1/407.html
Funke 'Celine Dion' plots comeback

By Our Correspondent

Most people might not easily remember her. But Funke Olayode was a hit with music fans in 1998 when she recorded and release a Yoruba version of Celine Dion's bestselling single Whatever it takes.

Funke Olayode

advertisement

With a silky smooth voice, and an overdose of effortless charm, she quickly wormed her way into the hearts of many. And it wasn't long before she got a recording deal with Atunda Entertainment. Pundits predicted that she'll go on to become a big star; the media celebrated her; just as fans asked her for more materials.

Fame was beckoning and recognition was around the corner; but instead of hugging the limelight and set herself up for a prosperous career, she disappeared from the scene and left everyone in suspense. When she reappeared in 2004, it was as a dancer in Femi Kuti's Positive Force band. During a concert at Oceanview restaurant, she appeared drunk backstage, smoked incessantly and looked a shadow of herself. She later joined the Positive Force dancers to deliver a backing routine for Femi Kuti during his performance at the Guinness Black Gold Concert.

She continued to work with Kuti, spending most of her time at the New Afrika Shrine, until she disappeared again.

But just when many thought she was gone for good, Miss Olayode has reappeared again - this time, looking like she has her mind back, and is ready to grab fresh opportunities with all her might.

In a recent interview with a magazine, E 24-7, Olayode admits she was "a disturbed loner who had a lot of problems to handle and I couldn't take it anymore. I wanted to run away from myself, so I took to alcohol and smoking…" In the article, titled "Back from the brink," the singer goes philosophical about her problems, while assuring that she's now back on her feet and ready to give music another shot. The accompanying images show her undergoing a fitness routine, and she appeared to be back in her old shape.

Her present location remains however, uncertain.
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by spikedcylinder: 5:51pm On May 02, 2009
She was a hit? That embarrassing song was a hit?

Wonders!
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by SeanT21(f): 5:53am On May 03, 2009
LMAO @ her pic!!
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by bluespice(f): 6:08am On May 03, 2009
which song did she sing?

lol the pic sure looks like somn britney might have taken when she was 'coming back' grin grin grin
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by Moyola(f): 7:25pm On May 03, 2009
Oh Funke!
I remember dhat song of hers. . .'twas played loadz of tymz on AIT!
Eyah!
luck on her combck tho!

SeanT21:

LMAO @ her pic!!
Dont laff @ her pix nau! embarassed tongue
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by vincentont(m): 10:23am On May 08, 2009
wooww is gud to really hear dat she is planing to come back to music.wen i heard dat she took to dancing i knw it won't favour her coz she got the voice just like ceiline dion.i wish the best
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by eleshin(m): 1:50pm On May 08, 2009
i will surely support her with all i gat,she is endowed with sweet voice.she took my favourite all time song"if thats what it takes" and turned it to a yoruba blues, ,cant wait to see her come back.
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by oluwafemi113(m): 5:21am On May 09, 2009
more pic
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by bawomolo(m): 9:47pm On May 10, 2009

comeon now, where the hell is her publicist. This kind of pics should never be taken. Is she going to a fetch water from the stream or working out?
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by AloyEmeka9: 8:07am On May 11, 2009

comeon now, where the hell is her publicist.  This kind of pics should never be taken.  Is she going to a fetch water from the stream or working out?
Person go first chop before looking for publicist. You go pay the publicist?
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by oyinda3(f): 6:17am On May 26, 2009
oh wow. where did she disappear to?
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by C2H5OH(f): 6:19am On May 26, 2009
Come again?
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by oyinda3(f): 6:28am On May 26, 2009
go to sleep kid
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by Bamsyle(m): 9:56am On May 26, 2009
Really?? shocked . . .

Someone please call 911 . . . someone's about to kill Music . . .

How can a 'Yoruba interpreter' of a Celine Dion hit even be referred to as an artiste in the first place . . . I have a naggin' prob with peops ridin' on the wings of another person's hit to make their own song . . . their own first song . . . did someone say Banky W?? Shoulda been gagged before that Ebute Metta BS escaped his lips . . .

And hey, I'm hoping she's undergone some voice training sessions . . . doesn't she sound like Cossy Orjiakor grin

A decade ago or thereabouts when she burst on the Nigerian Music Scene, competition was zero . . . Now, with the emergence of the likes of Asa, she'd better not be kiddin'.
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by oyinda3(f): 5:59pm On May 26, 2009
Bamsyle:

Really??  shocked . . .

Someone please call 911 . . . someone's about to kill Music . . .

How can a 'Yoruba interpreter' of a Celine Dion hit even be referred to as an artiste in the first place . . . I have a naggin' prob with peops ridin' on the wings of another person's hit to make their own song . . . their own first song . . . did someone say Banky W?? Shoulda been gagged before that Ebute Metta BS escaped his lips . . .

undecided what's wrong with calling her an artist?
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by Bamsyle(m): 8:53pm On May 26, 2009
oyinda.:

undecided what's wrong with calling her an artist?
even some of the most popular hit songs in the US are spin offs of some 60s 70s 80s hit music most people in the present generation don't know much about.
I find her song creative just as I find Banky's ebutemetta creative. You know you love Banky grin

You gotta be kiddin' me . . . she's not an artiste!

Yep . . . in the States, it's commonplace to have songs sampled and remixed . . . Diana Ross' "I'm Coming Out" and Grandmasta Flash's "The Message" are examples of such sampled and remixed songs.

A portion, not the whole body, of such songs are sampled in making another song.

In this case, we're talkin' bout a verbatim interpretation of a song in another parlance . . . c'mon you can't be considered a serious artiste if you do that . . . especially when that's your debut cut.

Though he's got a good R 'n' B voice, I don't dig Banky W . . . and I ain't being ironical.

Have you heard the Yoruba version of Beyonce's "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)"?? Can you refer to those dudes as artistes
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by MrCrackles(m): 8:54pm On May 26, 2009
Celine Dion? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked grin
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by StrStruck(f): 9:44pm On May 26, 2009
What Celine Dion song did she cover?
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by oyinda3(f): 10:38pm On May 26, 2009
Bamsyle:

You gotta be kiddin' me . . . she's not an artiste!

Yep . . . in the States, it's commonplace to have songs sampled and remixed . . . Diana Ross' "I'm Coming Out" and Grandmasta Flash's "The Message" are examples of such sampled and remixed songs.

A portion, not the whole body, of such songs are sampled in making another song.

In this case, we're talkin' bout a verbatim interpretation of a song in another parlance . . . c'mon you can't be considered a serious artiste if you do that . . . especially when that's your debut cut.

Though he's got a good R 'n' B voice, I don't dig Banky W . . . and I ain't being ironical.

Have you heard the Yoruba version of Beyonce's "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)"?? Can you refer to those dudes as artistes

I hear you and agree with everything you say.
she is not a serious artise. but I loved her song then at the time though. copied or not. lol
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by oyinda3(f): 10:41pm On May 26, 2009
St☆rStruck:

What Celine Dion song did she cover?

Pour que tu m'aimes encore.
celine recorded it in english also. the english version is called If that's what it takes
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by Nobody: 2:52am On May 27, 2009

Rotflmao.

A hit?
Don't ever take Nigerian celebrity journalists seriously. They have a way of embarrassing the country with their over the top description of any thing you can think of. lipsrsealed grin
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by dani1luv: 1:50pm On May 27, 2009
ROLFMAO@ pic

See how she looks like king kong

Na by God's grace that hand-weight go reach up cheesy
angry tongue
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by benlay(m): 12:49am On Jul 03, 2009
dani1luv:

ROLFMAO@ pic

See how she looks like king kong

Na by God's grace that hand-weight go reach up cheesy
angry tongue

u need help, 9ja will not encourage their own, never
some people just wanna write, it's cheap though, lol
Re: Funke 'celine Dion' Plots Comeback by mamagee3(f): 1:12am On Jul 03, 2009
Okay.

(1) (Reply)

Van Vicker Wins Man Of The Year Award / DJ Cuppy In London With Prince Otedola / Miley Cyrus Is CRAZY!!! Kisses And Sucks Female’s Bare Boobs On Stage!!!(photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.