Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,487 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

Is The US Right In Continuing 2 Act As The World's Saviour? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Is The US Right In Continuing 2 Act As The World's Saviour? (704 Views)

How African Parents Act On Halloween Night / Norway Terrorist Act Planned Over 9 Years / Act Of War: Iranian "aid" Ships Head For Gaza (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The US Right In Continuing 2 Act As The World's Saviour? by mystikal(m): 12:53pm On May 02, 2009
US Defense Secretary Gates was recntly asked by CNN's Fareed Zakaria if the US is falling into an "imperial trap" -- spending too much time and energy putting out all of the fires of the world, while countries like China concentrate on building a great prosperous industrial machine.

Gates said that the United States is not an imperial power, but rather an "indispensible" power. "If you look around the world," Gates said, "nothing ever gets done without American leadership at the end of the day."

So my question would be is the U.S. following a pattern of empires past?
Or are they really "exceptional," even "indispensible?"
Are they justified in constantly acting as d world's saviour?
Can they easily continue to play this far-flung role in the world while most nations like China and even most of Europe? continue to "selfishly", concentrate on internal prosperity.

Tell us what you think and why.
Re: Is The US Right In Continuing 2 Act As The World's Saviour? by ElRazur: 6:28pm On May 02, 2009
It depends on what side of the fence you are. The people from the east and those who have sympathy or support for Islam would most likely see "US imperialism", While on the other hand, people who adore total freedom would see then as an indispensable force.

Again, depends on what side you are it is possible to see the point Defence secretary was making. The US have shown the way in places where the rest of the world have avoided, a recent example is the Piracy issue off the somali coast. If memory serves me right, companies and nations have been paying up, until the US special forces took some decisive actions. Now, every nation is having a go and less people are paying. As I write this post, I just heard a report that Portuguese special forces just boarded a somali piracy ship and arrested the all the pirates on board. I suppose, one can argue that the US of America gave other nations the drive to act in such way.

On the other hand, people will criticize the US and draw their ways to that of an imperialist for the wars in Iraq and the issue in the middle east due to their foreign policy.
Re: Is The US Right In Continuing 2 Act As The World's Saviour? by Bastage: 7:18pm On May 02, 2009
ElRazur:

a recent example is the Piracy issue off the somali coast. If memory serves me right, companies and nations have been paying up, until the US special forces took some decisive actions.

Just a point but it was the French who took the first decisive action.
They even sent commandoes to mainland Somalia to capture some pirates who had attacked a French vessel.
Re: Is The US Right In Continuing 2 Act As The World's Saviour? by ElRazur: 7:20pm On May 02, 2009
Bastage:

Just a point but it was the French who took the first decisive action.
They even sent commandoes to mainland Somalia to capture some pirates who had attacked a French vessel.

Oh I see. I wasn't sure hence why I said "If memory serves me right". I could have bet my last pound that it was the American, but I guess I may be wrong. smiley
Re: Is The US Right In Continuing 2 Act As The World's Saviour? by sleekp1: 12:35am On May 03, 2009
ElRazur:

Oh I see. I wasn't sure hence why I said "If memory serves me right". I could have bet my last pound that it was the American, but I guess I may be wrong.

This is what happens when you only watch Fox news.
Re: Is The US Right In Continuing 2 Act As The World's Saviour? by ElRazur: 12:54am On May 03, 2009
I don't watch fox news. grin Surely you can do better and make a proper contribution?
Re: Is The US Right In Continuing 2 Act As The World's Saviour? by Kobojunkie: 2:52am On May 03, 2009
I see the rebuttle is still that one watches fox news. lol

(1) (Reply)

Us Providing Ground Support For Libyan Rebels / Save Nubia, Or 5,000 Years Of African History Will Be Lost / US Teen Designs Compact Nuclear Reactor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.