Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,048 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest (1192 Views)

Wike, Okorocha, Other State Governors Welcoming President Buhari (see Photos) / Oyegun, El-rufai & Abubakar Visit Okorocha, Condemn Kano Killing / Wike, Okorocha, Osinbajo, Amina In Ogoni For The Launch Of Clean-up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by Unblockable: 2:44am On Oct 22, 2015
Wike, Okorocha condemn MASSOB protest

OCTOBER 22, 2015 : CHUKWUDI AKASIKE AND GIBSON ACHONU 9 COMMENTS

Mr. Nyesom Wike

Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, has warned that his administration will not tolerate a repeat of the protest embarked upon by the members of any self-determination group within the state.

The governor’s warning came on the heels of a massive protest the members of a self-determination group, the Indigenous People of Biafra, whose protest paralysed socio-economic activities in Port Harcourt, on Tuedsay.

Members and supporters of the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra and those of IPOB took to the streets of Port Harcourt, demanding the secession of the Igbo from Nigeria and the unconditional release of one of their members, Mr. Nnamdi Kalu.

The protesters had marched through Ikoku, Ikwerre and some major roads in the state capital.

But Wike, who spoke through a statement signed by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Opunabo Inko-Tariah, said he was peeved by the protest.

The governor stressed the indivisibility of Nigeria and added that the actions of the protesters were capable of stimulating chaos in the state.

“The Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, has warned against insidious actions by anybody or group in the state.

“The governor, who was peeved by the protest by members of the Indigenous People of Biafra in Port Harcourt, warned that such a demonstration will not be brooked by his administration.

“Emphasising the indivisibility of Nigeria, the governor said the actions of IPOB members are capable of stimulating chaos in the state,” the statement read.

Wike warned that as the Chief Security Officer of the state who swore to an oath to protect lives and property, he would not tolerate actions that would lead to the breakdown of law and order in the state.

He, however, dissociated himself and the state from the protest, adding that legal machinery has been set in motion against any group that tries to breach the peace in the state.

The governor called on residents in the state to go about their lawful duties without fear, assuring them of safety.

Also, the Imo State Governor, Rochas Okorocha, has dissociated his government from the reported violent protests in Rivers, Anambra, and Delta states by MASSOB and IPOB members, on Tuesday.

In a press release by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Sam Onwuemeodo, Okorocha regretted the ugly development, saying that such violent protests in the name of Biafra would not add any value to the development of the South-East.

Okorocha said, “The governors and leaders of the South-East condemn the protests, especially when they were carried out in the name of Biafra. If a section of the people in the South-East or even the whole people in the geopolitical zone protest over the bad shape of the federal roads in the area or protest over the total negligence of the geopolitical zone, every governor and leader in the area would support that but not to protest over an issue that is neither here nor there.”

“The South-East is an integral part of Nigeria and the governors and leaders from the area believe in the unity of the country and would always work towards sustaining the unity. And as far as the governors and the leaders of the South-East are concerned, those behind the campaign for Biafra have their ulterior motive, which has nothing to do with corporate interest of the Ndigbo in Nigeria.”

Okorocha, however, called on those behind the protests to give peace a chance.

Meanwhile, a Magistrate Court in Port Harcourt on Wednesday remanded in prison custody 20 suspected supporters of the MASSOB and IPOB.

The suspects were arrested by the police during their demonstration on Tuesday for the release of the Director of Radio Biafra, Mr. Nnamdi Kanu, even as they demanded the secession of the Igbo from Nigeria.

The suspects were charged with chanting of hate songs, treason and the destruction of Nigeria flags that were hoisted a new generation bank.

They were identified as Benson Sunday, Emmanuel Ali, Ukeme Monday, Chibuzor Eechina, Charles Eze, Egbo Okechukwu, Chibona Ifion, John Douglas, Ezenwa Alphonus, Wori Endurance, Chinomere Nwolu, Henry Eze, Friday Uzunwa, Igbodo Abio, Akaniyene Uwem, Eni Iboro, Obinna Stephen, Monday Ocha, Obinna Ibekwe and Kingsley Ezengorie.

The Chief Magistrate, S.D. Andrew-Jaja, had on Wednesday, told the counsel for the suspects that he was not convinced that magistrate court could grant bail on charges of treason.

The Chief Magistrate, Mr. S.D Andrew-Jaja, in remanding the suspects in prison custody, directed their counsel to prepare to address the court on the suspects’ bail application during the court’s next sitting.

He adjourned the matter till October 27, 2015.

http://www.punchng.com/news/wike-okorocha-condemn-massob-protest/
Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by jlinkd78(m): 2:52am On Oct 22, 2015
Time will tell. U arrest n trial peaceful protesters on evangelism while turning a blind eye on cannibalistic Fulani herdsmen. Buhari might not be d Messiah we were expecting though am sure d intnl community is closely watching.

1 Like

Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by likila: 2:53am On Oct 22, 2015
I said it, this Biafra thing is spreading like wildfire.
even wike and okorocha don join.
Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by donholy28(m): 2:58am On Oct 22, 2015
Make we continue dey watch
Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by trapQ: 3:23am On Oct 22, 2015
you want to protest?? fine!! stay in your 5SE states and do that. not everyone likes barbarity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by trapQ: 3:27am On Oct 22, 2015
it is no longer a peaceful protest when they start destroying property. they destroyed some Nigerian flags hoisted at a bank, hence their arrest.
jlinkd78:
Time will tell. U arrest n trial peaceful protesters on evangelism while turning a blind eye on cannibalistic Fulani herdsmen. Buhari might not be d Messiah we were expecting though am sure d intnl community is closely watching.

1 Like

Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by Lajet: 5:46am On Oct 22, 2015
Okorocha is a disgrace
Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by Lajet: 5:49am On Oct 22, 2015
I thought that Yoruba people said that only igbo people want Biafra but all this names listed are not igbo names

Emmanuel Ali, Chibona Ifion, John Douglas, Wori Endurance, Chinomere Nwolu, Igbodo Abio, Akaniyene Uwem, Eni Iboro, Obinna Stephen, Monday Ocha,

4 Likes

Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by emmalexabl(m): 5:57am On Oct 22, 2015
Lajet:
Okorocha is a disgrace

You mean Agboghoawusa.... She is truely a disgrace..

1 Like

Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by DaBullIT(m): 6:12am On Oct 22, 2015
Anybody with common sense is always an enemy to some people

Joe Yorubakwe, Paid by tinubu

Wike .. Greedy as F.uck ,

According to some people these names are not ibo names
Emmanuel Ali, Chibona Ifion, John Douglas, Wori Endurance, Chinomere Nwolu, Igbodo Abio, Akaniyene Uwem, Eni Iboro, Obinna Stephen, Monday Ocha,

So i rest my case

1 Like

Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by Nobody: 6:36am On Oct 22, 2015
if they don't, who will?
Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by kingzizzy: 6:48am On Oct 22, 2015
These people make me laugh. Where in the world do you charge people for chanting hate songs? So people are now charged in Nigeria just because of the kind of songs they sing? How can a person be charged for burning a flag? How is it treason to stage a protest for the release of an individual? The Nigerian authorities are crazy
Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by Aufbauh(m): 6:50am On Oct 22, 2015
They should be charged for;
Treasonable felony,
Breach of public peace and
Attempt to escape from the 'zoo
'. grin grin grin

For those consoling themselves of names of other ethnic groups involved in the protest, should have also remind themselves that even in wars there's a possibility of hired mechinaries and pockets of misguided allies.

2 Likes

Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by reuben79: 7:11am On Oct 22, 2015
Lajet:
I thought that Yoruba people said that only igbo people want Biafra but all this names listed are not igbo names

yes only igbos want Biafra.delta igbos ar der and some part of igbos speaking in rivers st.i knw onething cross-river,akwa ibom and bayelsa can never join Biafra never never,dey ar hv no trust in u pple

1 Like

Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by IGBOPRINCE: 7:24am On Oct 22, 2015
Lajet:

hopeathand, all this name sound like ikwerre or kalabari, or my honey, oyind17 , all dis name re. Okrika or where in rivers do they came from
Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by FKO81(m): 7:26am On Oct 22, 2015
My people don't take their warning serious, they are politicians, they will support at night denied in the morning that is the game, northern politicians played the same mind games during GEJ administration.
Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by IGBOPRINCE: 7:28am On Oct 22, 2015
Lajet:

akanuyene uwem is an akwa ibom name..eni iboro sound like obolo name grin
Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by Unblockable: 7:57am On Oct 22, 2015
kingzizzy:
These people make me laugh. Where in the world do you charge people for chanting hate songs? So people are now charged in Nigeria just because of the kind of songs they sing? How can a person be charged for burning a flag? How is it treason to stage a protest for the release of an individual? The Nigerian authorities are crazy

Don't tell me you're normal.

1 Like

Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by Unblockable: 8:02am On Oct 22, 2015
Lalasticlalala
Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by OfoIgbo: 8:02am On Oct 22, 2015
Mumuhammadu talked about dogs and baboobs bleeding. This is treasonahle and he should be arrested and charged for treason once he leaves the presidency.

Some other people talked about Nigeria being made ungovernable, and they are still walking free.

Some northern state governments implemented the sharia, which is at cross purposes with the fraudulent Nigerian constitution, and some of them are senator of the realm.

The mumu at Aso that thinks that by marginalising Igbos, he will have an easy tenure has chosen the wrong path. I know that Ijaws want out also , even though you haven't seen them become vocal about it.

For Nigeria to be saved, there has to be a wholesale and far reaching restructuring, or else Nigeria will be history by 2017.
Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by kingzizzy: 8:12am On Oct 22, 2015
Unblockable:

Don't tell me you're normal.

I challenge you to quote the section of the constitution where the burning of the Nigerian flag is a crime.
Re: Wike, Okorocha Condemn MASSOB Protest by maxdozie(m): 8:17am On Oct 22, 2015
I wonder what you guys expect them to say ..

"Owk they should come out and say I support biafra?"

I remember when we matched towards Government House! People inside the house opened the windows and Gates and where shouting
"Wike is for Biafra , wike is for Biafra"

I laughter at nigeria !
When its time You would know who is who!

(1) (Reply)

no topic / NCC Fines MTN Nigeria N1.04trn For SIM Deactivation Default - The / President Buhari Names His Carbinet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.