Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,892 members, 7,828,154 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:33 AM

Pics:several Feared Trapped, 5 Rescued From Collapsed 3-storey Building In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pics:several Feared Trapped, 5 Rescued From Collapsed 3-storey Building In Lagos (659 Views)

Lady And Baby In IDP Camp Vs Lady Rescued From Boko Haram In Sambisa Forest / Court Seizes Peter Nwaoboshi's 12-Storey Building Over N1.5bn Contract Scam / National Power Grid Collapsed 3 Times In First 20days Of January - Investigation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pics:several Feared Trapped, 5 Rescued From Collapsed 3-storey Building In Lagos by myners007: 6:14am On Oct 22, 2015
By Olasunkanmi Akoni/Monsur Olowoopejo/Ufuoma Tiveruahor

LAGOS—‘’My sister called me that she was under the debris, by the staircase, that was at about 2:30pm. Later, she called again to say that the place was very hot and that she was getting weak. She is still there struggling for breath. But the rescue workers are unable to get to where she is.’’

This was the distraught reaction of Mercy, a relative whose sister was trapped in the three-storey building that collapsed yesterday at Odunfa Street, CMS, on Lagos Island.

Aside from Mercy’s sister, several others are still feared trapped in the building.

However, five persons, including an 80-year-old woman and a 15-year-old boy, were rescued from the rubbles of the collapsed building at about 1:45pm.

Vanguard gathered that the building, described as ‘civilian Barracks” caved in at about 9 am, after several warning sounds of distress.

It was gathered that some residents, especially occupants on the third floor, escaped through the window, jumping unto an uncompleted building beside it.

When Vanguard visited the scene, residents and bystanders could not ascertain the number of persons still trapped in the building.

The residents confirmed that they received phone calls from residents still trapped beneath the rubbles but no one had been confirmed dead.

At the scene, the combined team include Police, Army, Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, federal and state fire service, Lagos State Building Control Agency, LSBCA, and Lagos Safety Commission, were on ground to manage the situation.

Sources said that the octogenarian, who was rescued over four hours after the collapse, was conveyed to the General Hospital, Lagos Island, for medical care by Lagos State Ambulance Service, LASAMBUS.

Eyewitnesses account on how the building caved in

One of the residents, Mr. Saidi Balogun, who witnessed the incident said: “I left my room after receiving a call from my mechanic shop. Standing outside the building, less than five meters away, the building caved in.’’

Another resident, identified as Fatimah Usman, who lived and owned a shop in the building, said: “I ran and called my husband who was inside when the building collapsed. I didn’t know how he escaped. I just saw him few minutes after the building had collapsed.’’

Mrs. Enitan Ayinla, while narrating her own side of the story, said: “I was forced to scale through the window into a nearby uncompleted building.

“Three pupils were standing this morning and talking to themselves, so, I called one of them and asked what they were talking about and she said our building was making some sound and has cracked.

“I had just a wrapper on my body and told my husband what the children said. He told me to dress up and go downstairs to check the area that was cracked. We were still at the staircase when we heard a loud bang and the building collapsed. It was through the uncompleted building beside us that my husband and I escaped.

“People have been calling us that they were in the building and they said the heat was much. We were seven who escaped from the building.”

According to LASEMA’s boss, Micheal Akindele, the four persons earlier rescued sustained minor injuries and were taken to Lagos Island General Hospital.

He said they had not been able to ascertain the number of occupants in the building, adding that no one could confirm whether or not people were still in the rubble.

Assistant Director, Federal Fire Service, Mr. Okon Macaulay, said the distressed structure was responsible for the collapse, adding “initially we rescued about four people that were slightly injured from the building.”

Residents accuse govt officials

Some residents also accused government agencies in-charge of conducting integrity tests of collecting bribes from landlords.

They also insisted that they had complained to the owners, the Onibudo family, over the state of the building but they failed to embark on repairs.

Responding, General Manager, LSBCA, Shola Aderibigbe, said the building was marked for integrity test and 14 days ultimatum was served on the building.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/10/several-feared-trapped-5-rescued-from-collapsed-3-storey-building-in-lagos/

1 Like

Re: Pics:several Feared Trapped, 5 Rescued From Collapsed 3-storey Building In Lagos by INTROVERT(f): 6:15am On Oct 22, 2015
pèlè
Re: Pics:several Feared Trapped, 5 Rescued From Collapsed 3-storey Building In Lagos by ladyF(f): 6:15am On Oct 22, 2015
shocked Blood of Jesus! Let's say a prayer for them, miracles happen. NEMA should do everything humanly possible, and fast too cry
Re: Pics:several Feared Trapped, 5 Rescued From Collapsed 3-storey Building In Lagos by INTROVERT(f): 6:17am On Oct 22, 2015
ladyF:
shocked

Missed you like kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Pics:several Feared Trapped, 5 Rescued From Collapsed 3-storey Building In Lagos by IGBOPRINCE: 6:17am On Oct 22, 2015
Houses in lagos island re damn too old.
Re: Pics:several Feared Trapped, 5 Rescued From Collapsed 3-storey Building In Lagos by ladyF(f): 6:19am On Oct 22, 2015
INTROVERT:

Missed you like kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
heheheh missed u more kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

People go talk now with all these kiss we dey blow. Take some more jare kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Pics:several Feared Trapped, 5 Rescued From Collapsed 3-storey Building In Lagos by myners007: 6:23am On Oct 22, 2015
INTROVERT:

I thought as much You are either gay or a male
Re: Pics:several Feared Trapped, 5 Rescued From Collapsed 3-storey Building In Lagos by Nobody: 6:24am On Oct 22, 2015
That person in there praying for a miracle to be rescued .. May God answer your prayer..
Re: Pics:several Feared Trapped, 5 Rescued From Collapsed 3-storey Building In Lagos by Segunod(m): 6:24am On Oct 22, 2015
I pray all will be rescue alive cos new year is just too close for any family to mourn ooo.....
Re: Pics:several Feared Trapped, 5 Rescued From Collapsed 3-storey Building In Lagos by INTROVERT(f): 6:27am On Oct 22, 2015
myners007:
I thought as much You are either gay or a male

I know kiss is hungrying you, oya take some kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss and if you want more then quote me again. tongue
Re: Pics:several Feared Trapped, 5 Rescued From Collapsed 3-storey Building In Lagos by Greyworld: 6:28am On Oct 22, 2015
Now look at the background nd see the other free standing "structures"

If they fall sm1 would either blame Gej or Buhari.
Re: Pics:several Feared Trapped, 5 Rescued From Collapsed 3-storey Building In Lagos by Ahmba: 6:29am On Oct 22, 2015
shocked shocked shocked Dear Lord, please guide them to bring out all those still in side there safely.
Re: Pics:several Feared Trapped, 5 Rescued From Collapsed 3-storey Building In Lagos by myners007: 6:29am On Oct 22, 2015
INTROVERT:

I know kiss is hungrying you, oya take some kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss and if you want more then quote me again. tongue
This is morning now but give it to me codedly
Re: Pics:several Feared Trapped, 5 Rescued From Collapsed 3-storey Building In Lagos by Ahmba: 6:29am On Oct 22, 2015
shocked shocked shocked Dear Lord, please guide them to bring out all those still in side there
Re: Pics:several Feared Trapped, 5 Rescued From Collapsed 3-storey Building In Lagos by divinehand2003(m): 6:30am On Oct 22, 2015
ladyF:

heheheh missed u more kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

People go talk now with all these kiss we dey blow. Take some more jare kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
hian
Two ladies blowing kisses at me?
Are u thinking what I am thinking thinking?
Re: Pics:several Feared Trapped, 5 Rescued From Collapsed 3-storey Building In Lagos by sammyhands: 6:34am On Oct 22, 2015
Lord have mercy.
I wish the government will beginning to take human lives seriously.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria: Credible Evidence That Pro-biafrans Are Targeted By Police Says Amnesty / Obasanjo Escapes Death On Lagos – Ibadan Expressway / Governor Okorocha Responds To Naming Building After Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.