Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:41 AM

400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp (2515 Views)

Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri / Four Soldiers Die As Troops Uncover Yobe Bomb Factory / Chief Ralph Uwazuruike Housing Quarters For Ex Biafran Soldiers... Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by SamMilla1(m): 11:07am On May 03, 2009
No fewer than 400 inmates of the Oji-River Biafra Settlement near Enugu have been reported dead as a result of starvation and neglect by the federal government and state governments of the 11 states that made up the old East Central State.

Report of the dead ex-Biafrans, who were settled at the Oji-River camp having been incapacitated by the war, came just as the surviving victims at the camp alleged neglect against the former Biafra leader, Chief Emeka Odimegwu-Ojukwu.

The Biafra veterans accused Ojukwu of not visiting them at the camp where they are being rehabilitated since the civil war ended in 1970.
Fielding questions from newsmen when the officials of the “Humanitarian De-mining Team” from the Ministry of Defense, Abuja, visited them at the Oji-River Camp on Friday, spokesman of the inmates, Joseph Akani, said it was sad that their former leader had not visited them 40 years after the war, pointing out that they had been living on charity.

Akani disclosed that they were about 697 when they initially settled at the camp, lamenting that they are now less than 100 as others had died for lack of food and care.
He also noted that it was the first time the federal government was visiting the camp since 1970 and commended the Presidency for sending the team to ascertain their condition.
He called on the federal government to come to their aid by properly rehabilitating them and to give them a sense of belonging.

Earlier, the leader of the de-mining team and Director of Administration, Commodore Essien Ekpiken (rtd), said they were in the camp to ensure that all mines in the area were detonated, stressing that the present government would continue to foster unity in the country
He also promised to forward their request to the presidency for possible action.

http://sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2009/may/03/national-03-05-2009-04.htm
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by SapeleGuy: 11:26am On May 03, 2009
If this article is true, the neglect of these war veterans is a bloody disgrace.
Where is MASSOB?
Where is Ojukwu?
Where is Ndigbo?
Or are these brave men not worthy of help?
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by RichyBlacK(m): 3:37pm On May 03, 2009
This is a disgrace! angry
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by yicob(m): 3:42pm On May 03, 2009
I can see the Federal Government rolling on the floor laughing her Ass out saying "who sent the Ibos to fight for separation?, have not even catered for my active soldiers, not to talk of ex military men. Abeg no dime for the ex biafrans".
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by yarodin: 3:00pm On May 04, 2009
I bet if Ojukwu and co had played their part, probably the Federal Govt would have done something. The Federal Govt hardly pays the retirement benefits for their own, so you definetly know the Biafran Soldiers are getting nothing.
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by Sagamite(m): 7:36pm On May 04, 2009
I don't get it.

Why the hell should the government still be taking care of people 40 years on?
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by SapeleGuy: 8:09pm On May 04, 2009
They should look after them because that was the deal under the peace agreement.
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by presido1: 9:26pm On May 04, 2009
SapeleGuy:

If this article is true, the neglect of these war veterans is a bloody disgrace.
Where is MASSOB?
Where is Ojukwu?
Where is Ndigbo?
Or are these brave men not worthy of help?

SapeleGuy:

They should look after them because that was the deal under the peace agreement.
Those gp mentioned in your first post are they the fed govt?
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by Vallo57(m): 12:54am On Sep 17, 2010
NL ibo Warriors.Put your money where your freaking mouth is. Ibo Kwenu!!!
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by udezue(m): 1:09am On Sep 17, 2010
Its a damn shame. I hope this is not true but either way IDG has Biafra war veteran project next year and we will deliver. Its a shame the older generation are not doing much. My mom has been working on securing housing assistance for them through her NGO in the East.
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by T9ksy(m): 3:08am On Sep 17, 2010
Haba! not hunger again. where is Ojukwu who instigated this guys to follow him into an ill-prepared, ill- implemented war? Now that the fed govt. have returned his father's properties to him, he forgot his fellow igbos who lost everything responding to his clarion call.

Did someone said on another thread that Ojukwu still commands similar relevance in igboland now as in biafran time? Hmmmmmmm, am lost for words!!!
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by sbeezy8: 3:16am On Sep 17, 2010
wow these men died while Ojukwu was jollying around with Shagari, then Abacha, Now IBB and trying to jump to GEJ thats crazy.
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by mensdept: 3:22am On Sep 17, 2010
T9ksy:

Haba! not hunger again. where is Ojukwu who instigated this guys to follow him into an ill-prepared, ill- implemented war? Now that the fed govt. have returned his father's properties to him, he forgot his fellow igbos who lost everything responding to his clarion call.

Did someone said on another thread that Ojukwu still commands similar relevance in igboland now as in biafran time? Hmmmmmmm, am lost for words!!!

Where is Ojukwu this, where is Ojukwu that. Isnt that heavy bearded man approaching 80 abi 90? Wetin you wan him do? How do we know he hasnt dashed some naira on them say last year, or even 5 years ago?

What about Nairalanders and Igbo sinators, representathieves (even the ones representing Enugu state). Maybe they've dashed too, but I doubt it.

@yarodin
You are correct. Naija cant even settle their rtd police and army folks, not to talk of Biafran ex this and that.

Its really just a shame, yet most of it goes to those of Eastern origin, many of whom dont give a hoot about honoring their own warriors, and would prefer to spend their last dola dola on 50 yr birthday extrava---
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by EzeUche22(m): 3:31am On Sep 17, 2010
Vallo57:

NL ibo Warriors.Put your  money where your  freaking mouth is. Ibo Kwenu!!!

My very own father is a Biafran War veteran and he is doing well. Heck most of my family members who fought in the war that survived went on to have a wonderful life.

In every army, a few veterans fall through the crack. Even in America.
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by Nobody: 4:03am On Sep 17, 2010
Ikemba should be held responsible for their death afterall they fought till the end even when he ran away angry angry angry cry cry cry cry
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by TewMuch: 4:05am On Sep 17, 2010
And where is Ojukwu the war general? 400 men.What a shame. I bet they never got their properties back.See why it pays to follow a true leader? A true leader stands and takes the bullet for his comrades.Ojukwu who should be campaigning for their cause is sitting pretty with fat pockets.So sad.
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by komando1: 5:24am On Sep 17, 2010
@ udezue
Kudos to your mum! Those people have no one to fend for them. She should hurry! These people normally have lost all limbs! No hands, no legs! You should see them. I keep wondering how they have survived years like that, all for serving ungrateful Ndigbo.
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by OgidiBoy(m): 6:15am On Sep 17, 2010
I remember when I was a kid on our way home to Ogidi through the Enugu- Onitsha Express my Dad bless his heart would alway stop at Oji to give those Men money. One time he gave them a bag of rice, I would always wonder why he did that. Now that I'm older and read all about the war I can only hope I can be like my Dad and stop at Oji to honor our Biafran heroes.
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by Sagamite(m): 9:19am On Sep 17, 2010
400?

How many people would have been in Biafran Army? Maybe a million?

Lets say half a million were killed and another 400K have died 40 years on.

That still leaves 100K, 400 out of them have not developed themselves and got on with life?

I only have pity for them if they are disabled. Otherwise I see no reason why government should continue paying for them.
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by bkbabe97y(m): 10:42am On Sep 17, 2010
Wow, starvation?! Gotsa be the work of that bloody Mr. Awolowo!

Meanwhile, these Ibos keep praising him. Well, they the only folks who understand each other. . . . . .
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by bkbabe97y(m): 10:44am On Sep 17, 2010
Waaaaait, hold up! How could they have died of starvation if the South-East is awash with unbelievable amounts of food? or aint that wut Chyz and Ezestupi*d got us believing on the other thread?
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by Ayowumie(m): 11:08am On Sep 17, 2010
If this thread is true by contents and context (starvation and neglect), then it is a shame to the Ndigbo and Ojukwu is not better than a pig. Having been properly retired from the Nigerian Army and paid all the arrears accrued to him, he was in a position to negotiate on behalf of his fellow former Biafran veterans, but guess he was too busy clamouring to his Igbo ego (forgive me for the sentiment) to see the need to help the soldiers he lured into fighting his already defeated succession war.

The only thing all the concerned parties are asking for is for the wrath of the Almighty to fall on them for neglecting the former Biafran soldiers. Is it because they are not highly ranked veterans that they have forgotten?
In the words of Tupac: "only God can judge us"
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by Ayowumie(m): 11:18am On Sep 17, 2010
Sagamite:

I don't get it.

Why the hell should the government still be taking care of people 40 years on?
It was the deal under the Peace Agreement (No Victor No Vanquished) that all Biafran Soldiers be for given but unconditionally retired BUT ALL THEIR ARREARS BE GIVEN TO THEM - the arrears are meant to take care of their post service living. While those that were incapacitated (grossly physically challenged) by the war would be rehabilitated by the Federal Government.
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by marocguy(m): 11:29am On Sep 17, 2010
R.I.P , u fough a gud fight, ur honour is coming, i see d survivn ones on oji , onicha enugu expressway beggn 4 alms
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by Nobody: 12:08pm On Sep 17, 2010
EzeUche22:

My very own father is a Biafran War veteran and he is doing well. Heck most of my family members who fought in the war that survived went on to have a wonderful life.

In every army, a few veterans fall through the crack. Even in America.

This what i am talking about, insensitivity and selfishness . my father, my mother, my family, my daddy and mummy. what[b] I[/b] can get.
Of cos lest i forget Bitterness.
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by joeyfire(m): 5:13pm On Sep 17, 2010
This is very very sad. I remember seeing those war veterans along the onitsha - enugu expressway whenever i travelled to the east. Many of them would sit in their wheel chairs close to the expressway. they all looked bowed, deprived but never broken. To me they are the symbolic repository of all that was noble about us Igbos - sacrifice, dignity and most important, defiant belief in a cause bigger than them. Ojukwu instead of dedicating the rest of his life to making life better for the disadvantaged men who served under him, is busy prancing around politicking for the same system he vowed to be lead his people out from. Shame !!
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by T9ksy(m): 6:24pm On Sep 17, 2010
Posted by: joeyfire
This is very very sad. I remember seeing those war veterans along the onitsha - enugu expressway whenever i travelled to the east. Many of them would sit in their wheel chairs close to the expressway. they all looked bowed, deprived but never broken. To me they are the symbolic repository of all that was noble about us Igbos - sacrifice, dignity and most important, defiant belief in a cause bigger than them. Ojukwu instead of dedicating the rest of his life to making life better for the disadvantaged men who served under him, is busy prancing around politicking for the same system he vowed to be lead his people out from. Shame !!

GBAM!!!

I lost any respect i might have had for Ojukwu when i saw him back in the NPN, winning and dinning with the same folks who initiated the pogrom on his people a decade or so, ago. All because they returned all his father's properties back to him. This issue of ex-biafran soldiers has been going on a long time and never have I heard Ojukwu say anything about their plight. Never mind whether he dashed them 5 naira or 10000naira, these guys should never have been left alone to the extent that they dropped off dead from, hunger! Haba!!Hunger ke? in peace time? Ojukwu is a selfish spoilt brat who sacrificed the lives of millions of his own people to satisfy his inordinate ambition and when all else fails, abandon them to save his ugly skin.

I believe its only the younger generation of Igbos who still idolises the man. The old ones who actually saw the meaning of war and how Ojukwu abandoned them, will never give him the light of the day.
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by chiozor: 6:34pm On Sep 17, 2010
T9ksy:

Posted by: joeyfire
GBAM!!!

I lost any respect i might have had for Ojukwu when i saw him back in the NPN, winning and dinning with the same folks who initiated the pogrom on his people a decade or so, ago. All because they returned all his father's properties back to him. This issue of ex-biafran soldiers has been going on a long time and never have I heard Ojukwu say anything about their plight. Never mind whether he dashed them 5 naira or 10000naira, these guys should never have been left alone to the extent that they dropped off dead from, hunger! Haba!!Hunger ke? in peace time? Ojukwu is a selfish spoilt brat who sacrificed the lives of millions of his own people to satisfy his inordinate ambition and when all else fails, abandon them to save his ugly skin.

I believe its only the younger generation of Igbos who still idolises the man. The old ones who actually saw the meaning of war and how Ojukwu abandoned them, will never give him the light of the day.

the younger illiterate generation still idolizes him,
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by MaziUche0(m): 6:39pm On Sep 17, 2010
chiozor:

the younger illiterate generation still idolizes him,

Hate it or love, Ojukwu still commands the respect of most Igbos in Alaigbo. No matter where in Alaigbo he goes, big crowds still come to see him.
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by Dede1(m): 6:41pm On Sep 17, 2010
I shall continue to agitate for disintegration of jungle called Nigeria. It is the best option for all its inhabitants. The most idiotic aspect of all these rubbish are few loudmouthed Nigerians who will jump into silly endeavor in attempt to compare USA’s civil war with Nigeria/Biafra.

When the USA’s civil war ended, the Union took care of all soldiers who fought the war be them Confederate or Union soldiers.

Not all the wounded Biafran soldiers lived in Oji. There are many wounded Biafran soldiers who had moved on and made fortune for themselves.
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by cap28: 10:30pm On Sep 17, 2010
When i say Ojukwu is a useless failure people think I am being too harsh, it just goes to show you where this man's reall interest lies.  To think that this megalomaniac has not ventured anywhere near this camp in 40 years, but can still find time to shamelessly make a nuisance of himself in Aso rock trying to curry favour with people who couldnt care less whether he lives or dies.  A failed megalomaniac who led 3m of his own people to their death and then like a true coward ran away and came back to join forces with the same people who massacred his own people, if it were that igbo people could reason properly they would see this man for what he is - a hopeless, power crazed opportunist, any way he will be judged for 3m innocents who died because of his reckless ambition.

See how life is - like the shameless man that he is he is now begging for an audience from people who couldnt care less whether he is alive or dead - karma is a b.it.ch!
Re: 400 Ex-biafran Soldiers Die In Resettlement Camp by T9ksy(m): 10:52pm On Sep 17, 2010
Posted by: cap28
When i say Ojukwu is a useless failure people think I am being too harsh, it just goes to show you where this man's reall interest lies.  To think that this megalomaniac has not ventured anywhere near this camp in 40 years, but can still find time to shamelessly make a nuisance of himself in Aso rock trying to curry favour with people who couldnt care less whether he lives or dies.  A failed megalomaniac who led 3m of his own people to their death and then like a true coward ran away and came back to join forces with the same people who massacred his own people, if it were that igbo people could reason properly they would see this man for what he is - a hopeless, power crazed opportunist, any way he will be judged for 3m innocents who died because of his reckless ambition.

See how life is - like the shameless man that he is he is now begging for an audience from people who couldnt care less whether he is alive or dead - karma is a b.it.ch!

GBAM!!!     

(1) (2) (Reply)

Another Picture Of Nigerian Police. / Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon Vs Pastor Chris Okotie Again (part 2) / I’m Still Alive– Soyinka `

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.