Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,172 members, 7,835,917 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood - Celebrities (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood (77333 Views)

Why I Hid My Marriage From Public – D’banj / Emeka Enyiocha: I Became A Beer Seller After I Took A Break From Nollywood / How I Hid In A Car Boot The First Time I Met Genevieve Nnaji - Mercy Johnson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by Nobody: 9:29pm On Oct 23, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Shut the hell up! There is something called SUBTITLE. When it originally came out, non Igbos were complaning that it was not subtitled. The producers had to go back and subtitle it for ingrates like you. Immediately after Living In Bondage came other IGBO movies like Nneka The Pretty Serpent, Rattle Snake, Deadly Passion, Taboo etc which were all subtitled and were huge hits all over Nigeria. Just because they wanted to accomodate dunces like you they crossed over to full English Language and we began to hear about RMD, Segun Arinze, Regina Askia, Sam Dede. Remember these actors were all playing or answering Emeka or Amaka in these movies. This same industry that was founded on the altar of igbo movies has grown in leaps and bounds. You can't steal this achievement. Next!

And in movies of other ethnic groups there were no subtitles?

B.itch, you're dumb.

They didn't accommodate, they decided to go English and hired better actors in order for larger market.
Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 23, 2015
Lol not music again? But media industry, Igbos control Nollywood and ahave high percentage in music and other entertainment industry
macof:

cheesy ooh really? BUT u spread lies that Igbos run Nollywood

You forget that Nollywood is media and Yorubas drive media in this country

But if you really think that's a lie why not show me how

1 Like

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by Ihuomadinihu: 9:33pm On Oct 23, 2015
9jacrip:

And in movies of other ethnic groups there were no subtitles?

B.itch, you're dumb.

They didn't accommodate, they decided to go English and hired better actors in order for larger market.
B.itch.....save that word for your mother. I've given you lectures but you keep messing up. Son of a B.itch.

3 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by macof(m): 9:34pm On Oct 23, 2015
tonychristopher:

But do you even think that I have your time ?

My personal boy tonychristopher. When will you resume your attacks on Yoruba people
I heard Oyo aren't yoruba cheesy
Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by Nobody: 9:34pm On Oct 23, 2015
Revisionist, always wanting to change histroy to suit them.

2 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by Nobody: 9:35pm On Oct 23, 2015
grin Zimoni clown
macof:

My personal boy tonychristopher. When will you resume your attacks on Yoruba people
I heard Oyo aren't yoruba cheesy

1 Like

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by zimoni(f): 9:39pm On Oct 23, 2015
DikeOha882:
grin Zimoni clown

Z.imoni is not the same as m.acof.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 23, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

B.itch.....save that word for your mother. I've given you lectures but you keep messing up. Son of a B.itch.

I see that hurt you, good.

Lectures eh? And your posts are devoid of logic and proper punctuations.

Product of 'miracle centres' dominating education in the east cheesy.

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by Ihuomadinihu: 9:54pm On Oct 23, 2015
9jacrip:

I see that hurt you, good.

Lectures eh? And your posts are devoid of logic and proper punctuations.

Product of 'miracle centres' dominating education in the east cheesy.

Ehya, it has finally come to this,eh kwa? When you can't find any other thing to counter,you resort to some tribalistic gibberish.
I'm not going to indulge you,son of a B.itch.

3 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by Ihuomadinihu: 10:02pm On Oct 23, 2015
Reaping from where you did not sow! Where were you when Nek productions and poor Ken Ogunjiofor were struggling to change the course of history in Nigeria? Even Obama and Queen Elizabeth will teach you what you are trying to suppress all because of tribalism and jealousy. In the words of Onyeka Onwenu ''Onye ihem na ewe iwe ya biko weegbuo ya, sele nse!

5 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by Nobody: 10:27pm On Oct 23, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Ehya, it has finally come to this,eh kwa? When you can't find any other thing to counter,you resort to some tribalistic gibberish.
I'm not going to indulge you,son of a B.itch.

Lol you're bruised.

1 Like

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by Erave: 10:39pm On Oct 23, 2015
Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by Nobody: 10:47pm On Oct 23, 2015
Living in bondage was subtitled in english that's why it was nationally accepted.

Igbos pioneered nollywood and stiil dominate it till tomorrow.

3 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by ephi123(f): 10:47pm On Oct 23, 2015
Smh at this thread. Tribalism will be the undoing of Nigeria embarassed You all should kontinu
Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by Ihuomadinihu: 10:52pm On Oct 23, 2015
macof:

gringrin grin grin grin Mo so, awon oni iro alainitiju.

I knew one senseless igbo fellow will try to claim omotola has igbo ancestry
Oya next is Sheyi shay, Omowunmi Akinifesi
Why are you mentioning the ones that look Igbo na? Are they the only yoruba girls you know? Lmao. Every pretty yoruba lady = Omo igbo. At least una know that one.

2 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by bummyla(m): 11:18pm On Oct 23, 2015
hard work pays my brother! you have done well for yourself! congratulations! http://www.bummyla.com
Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by bigfrancis21: 4:07am On Oct 24, 2015
macof:

I've never known a more shameless human being. . I used to think Tonychristopher was bad but mehn you are lost to stupidity.. the price of bigotry

To answer simple question you cannot answer..when you have no answers that serve ur bigoted agenda

You cannot stand my intellect and it's a fact. A bigot can never be intelligent. . Take that very seriously, A bigot like you can only spew stupidity
I've addressed all ur errors and corrected them for sensible people reading through the thread

If you think I made any blundering points to this argument of Nollywood kindly correct them, to not do so means you have nothing to say

After all's said and done, you keep following the 'stupid' one around like a fly. At least I have a die hard fan of mine.

For your information you have not made any so-called corrections. In your close-minded bigoted mind, you have failed to see the truth for what it is. Because of Nollywood's exclusive success, you find people trying so hard to attach themselves to Nollywood as if their life depends on it. I don't see Igbos meddling in the affairs of the Yoruba movie industry. Instead you have it the other way round. I've said this before, if you think you truly have a stake in Nollywood and are interested in knowing the so-called impact of Yorubawood in Nollywood, please let both movie industries split and let Nollywood stand alone and let us see if Nollywood would not wax even stronger. After all, Kannywood (Hausa speaking) is a standalone movie industry of its own. I don't see Hausas trying to meddle in the affairs of Nollywood or try to attach themselves to it. Or maybe when Igbo producers decide to stop featuring non-Igbo actors and actresses, then it would dawn on you who the true owners of Nollywood are. Isn't it funny how Desmond Elliot had to hide his Yoruba name to take part in Nollywood. Same for Ramsey Nouah.

"Nollwyood is solidly in the hands of Igbo business men known as the Alaba cartel". The New York Times. The international recognition Igbos need. The world indeed recognizes the true owners of Nollywood.

It is only in Nigeria where the truth is hidden due to bigoted tribal minds and selfish reasons. The true Nollywood story needs to be written and documented in the annals of time. Today, Nollywood is celebrated as a truly black success story in the US. In no time, I will be publishing a book on the Igbo success story of Nollywood with in-depth interviews and first-hand information gleaned from the runners of Nollywood such as Kenneth Nnebue, a book to stand the test of time, to transcend generations upon generations and for future Igbo generations to have a glimpse of this day and time.

Such story needs to be sold to the international world. Being in the US, getting together the right resources for my book would never be an issue. Finally, I would be sending a copy of this book to the Library of Congress, Washington DC, one of the largest collections of books and research materials from all over the world. I stand for the truth and that's what matters to me. You can remain in oblivion and keep playing the local gimmicks you think you're good at.

3 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by bigfrancis21: 4:14am On Oct 24, 2015
DikeOha882:
Revisionist, always wanting to change histroy to suit them.

The same way they tried to change the history of the Binis to put themselves in better light and subjugate the influence and reign of the Binis over them until the lies were checked and the Binis told their true history. The Binis know the actual origin of Oduduwa, the Yorubas do not. Complete tale vs. incomplete tale.

2 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by bigfrancis21: 4:24am On Oct 24, 2015
I see some people claiming the Nigerian music industry to be 'owned' by Yorubas when Igbo boys are already dominating the music industry. P-Square, 2 Igbo boys, are Nigeria and Africa's richest musicians. We have other Igbos such as Don Jazzy, Flavour, Phyno, Kcee etc calling the shots in Nigeria's music industry. Ever since D Banj broke up with Don Jazzy, his master, he has fallen so fast the path of downfall that nobody remembers him today and he struggles to maintain popularity for himself by posting pictures of himself everyday on facebook. The very thought of Flavour or P-Square coming to the US (Texas, Washington DC etc.) to perform rocks the entire United States. They also rock places like South Africa, the Caribbean (Flavour's Nwa Baby remix song is a family household song in Haiti, Jamaica, Grenada, and the rest of the Caribbean) etc. I don't see the US go agog for Olamide, Davido or Wizkid.

On the extreme flank in the movie industry, 'Nollywood is solidly in the hands of Igbo business men also known as the Alaba cartel'. The New York times aptly captures the description best. I need not say any further.

2 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by taofeeq137(m): 5:47am On Oct 24, 2015
silverdam:
You removed fine name like Olusola from your name because of one stupid Nollywood movies and Igbo producers. Why is he so fake like many of us? But now that you want to join Politics and need the help of the people, you quickly remember Olusola.

Why would a sane person replace Olusola with Desmond? I'm proud to have a yoruba name "Oluwatosin" I will never substitute it for anything in this world, I'm proud of my culture and where I'm coming from. Why should I be ashamed of my name because of Igbo producers? Too bad!!!

so much for silverdam
Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by LEAFLET(m): 6:36am On Oct 24, 2015
The kind of energy people put into this Igbo youruba thing is really amazing.. Hope you guys are making money the same way.. I really wonder for you people and tomorrow all of una go still sitdown together in everyday struggle of the common man... Nairaland wasn't this way when I joined years ago!!!
Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by londoner: 7:26am On Oct 24, 2015
iffydave:
Story.....

Omotola Jalade Ekeinde

Funke Akindele

Olu Jacob

Según Arinze

Among other, are all of the Yoruba tribe, they have all successfully worked with Igbo producers without changing their names.

[size=20pt] So what is your point Mr Sola [/size]

Exactly, his fear was unfounded. There are too many successful actors and actresses with Yoruba names not to mention Ghanaian names for him to blame Igbo producers. If that were the case he would have highlighted his Igbo ancestry. Most people did not know he was half Igbo either.

Nollywood is a place where all tribes are welcome and that has been proven time and time again.

Maybe he had his own internal issues with tribalism so thought others were the same.

1 Like

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by ExpertNosa(m): 8:09am On Oct 24, 2015
I Don't have time for this half-baked news, the Yoruba's are always proud of their identity no matter where they are or what they are passing through Lol, all the same I thank God for Your life bro visit www.michaelnosa.com
for your relationship tips and more
Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by izzyu(m): 8:27am On Oct 24, 2015
abbey621:
I would have gladly done the same if I were in his shoes. We are talking about 1999 or 2000 here? Yoruba films ke! Yoruba films were making peanuts and little or no room for growth, the Igbo film makers completely changed the game which gave room for stars like Jim Iyke, Geni and so on., kudos Desmond hopefully your political career will be meaningful and not just a showcase.

Good point.

1 Like

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by dunlie: 9:15am On Oct 24, 2015
silverdam:
What you wrote here is meaningless, must you quote me or attack me just to show how relevant you are? Please give your opinion and get out, wetin concern my front-page pictures with these? Are you so jealous my pictures made front-page or what? Cos I don't understand your baseless rant. You're the one carrying the matter for head like say them go pay you for this. I don't even know you, like I don't even know you.

And who is dragging Sola and Desmond with him? You just like to write for writing sake just to be noticed and for cheap LIKES you will get. It doesn't make sense, just because of LIKES some people will just throw away their sense and be senseless.

Mr FriedPlantain, I am proud to be a Yoruba boy, I am proud of my culture. So you're just being petty and petty

you are proud to be whatever you like....then leave others to their own shooo!!!!
Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by Ghost01(m): 10:15am On Oct 24, 2015
macof:

Moving from Movies, When we talk TELEVISION Shows yorubas run the show from WAP production to Fuji house to Family ties etc.

Even the TV stations are owned by Yorubas ,
Music nko? We all know that Yoruba language is the favorite for Musical artists in nigeria

MEDIA in nigeria is basically driven by Yorubas
The popular private tv stations in the country, like AIT, Silverbird and Channels, are owned by non-Yorubas. Same can be said of The Sun, The Vanguard, The Guardian, Leadership, Daily Trust, and some other newspapers.

1 Like

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by Nwaisuochi(m): 11:37am On Oct 24, 2015
Onijagidijagan:

You are a fool upon Fool. is dat y ur women readily wants to give yoruba men their pussy anywhere in d South west? igbo women r so cheap and useless dat any1 dating them is termed dating a prostitute in the SW.
d most hansome guys/men r in South West(yorubaland)
better looking than igborilla ibos.
Handsome SW Yorubas like Obasanjo? Have you ever seen any igbo who is as ugly as Obj?

2 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by Nobody: 1:47pm On Oct 24, 2015
Nwaisuochi:
Handsome SW Yorubas like Obasanjo? Have you ever seen any igbo who is as ugly as Obj?
ho! Obasanjo killed millions of biafrian gorillas during his daze. sorry bro. aren't u going to bail nnmadi kanu u leader out now? cant the whole Southeast afford two million naira.
Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by bigfrancis21: 2:22pm On Oct 24, 2015
OkutaNla:

Ok. This will be my last exchange with you coz it's obvious you're not worth the stress. I actually doubt the writer is a true Yorubaman simply coz no true Yorubaman would ever even remotely suggest that the Emir of Ilorin is a Yorubaman in the first place -- it's a no-brainer really. And as for you, you are just pained that your dirty linen is out there in the public, everyone and their mom knows you all are rejects.

The fact remains that there are Yoruba-speaking people who don't like being called Yoruba. They deny being Yoruba. For what I know whatever you've written lacks credibility and you dare not expect me to take your word over a published article's facts.

1 Like

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by macof(m): 2:28pm On Oct 24, 2015
bigfrancis21:

After all's said and done, you keep following the 'stupid' one around like a fly. At least I have a die hard fan of mine.

For your information you have not made any so-called corrections. In your close-minded bigoted mind, you have failed to see the truth for what it is. Because of Nollywood's exclusive success, you find people trying so hard to attach themselves to Nollywood as if their life depends on it. I don't see Igbos meddling in the affairs of the Yoruba movie industry. Instead you have it the other way round. I've said this before, if you think you truly have a stake in Nollywood and are interested in knowing the so-called impact of Yorubawood in Nollywood, please let both movie industries split and let Nollywood stand alone and let us see if Nollywood would not wax even stronger. After all, Kannywood (Hausa speaking) is a standalone movie industry of its own. I don't see Hausas trying to meddle in the affairs of Nollywood or try to attach themselves to it. Or maybe when Igbo producers decide to stop featuring non-Igbo actors and actresses, then it would dawn on you who the true owners of Nollywood are. Isn't it funny how Desmond Elliot had to hide his Yoruba name to take part in Nollywood. Same for Ramsey Nouah.

"Nollwyood is solidly in the hands of Igbo business men known as the Alaba cartel". The New York Times. The international recognition Igbos need. The world indeed recognizes the true owners of Nollywood.

It is only in Nigeria where the truth is hidden due to bigoted tribal minds and selfish reasons. The true Nollywood story needs to be written and documented in the annals of time. Today, Nollywood is celebrated as a truly black success story in the US. In no time, I will be publishing a book on the Igbo success story of Nollywood with in-depth interviews and first-hand information gleaned from the runners of Nollywood such as Kenneth Nnebue, a book to stand the test of time, to transcend generations upon generations and for future Igbo generations to have a glimpse of this day and time.

Such story needs to be sold to the international world. Being in the US, getting together the right resources for my book would never be an issue. Finally, I would be sending a copy of this book to the Library of Congress, Washington DC, one of the largest collections of books and research materials from all over the world. I stand for the truth and that's what matters to me. You can remain in oblivion and keep playing the local gimmicks you think you're good at.

Blah blah blah makes no Sense

NA simple questions I ask you bring all this epistle that doesn't address any of my questions

Here are the questions again
1. Mention the names of the Igbos running Nollywood
2. Mention any Igbo filmmaker in the league of Kunle Afolayan, Lancelot Imasuen, Charles Novia

I even helped you with Tchidi Chikere, although the guy is still beneath the people people mentioned above.

If Yorubawood stands alone so should Igbowood.
We all know that Igbowood is dead on arrival, even Igbo folks prefer English movies than Igbo movies
Unlike Hausas who love everything in their language and Yorubas like myself who only pay attention to quality movies in english..
When i say quality movies I talk Amazing Grace, Figurine, Tango with me, Phone swap, Alan Poza, October 1. I've not seen Iyore and Invasion 1897 but mere looking at the Trailers you know what's up

These are some of the best Nollywood movies ...and they are all By Non Igbo filmmakers
The cast also dominated by Yorubas with only 1 or 2 igbos
Another question for you. . Do you know any Movie by an igbo filmmaker and igbo dominated cast in the level of these movies mentioned above?

SO DUDE SHUT THE FVCK UP. .unless you wanna give an intelligent response to my questions

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by OkutaNla: 2:28pm On Oct 24, 2015
bigfrancis21:

The fact remains that there are Yoruba-speaking people who don't like being called Yoruba. They deny being Yoruba. For what I know whatever you've written lacks credibility and you dare not expect me to take your word over a published article's facts.

Guy, you ain't shyt so whether you take my word at face value or not was never really my intent to start with, rather I was merely trying to educate your punk a$$ and mitigate your misinformation. I repeat you ain't shyt so knock yourself out. Ignorance is bliss to your likes.
Re: Desmond Elliot: Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood by STILESGANG: 2:34pm On Oct 24, 2015
bigfrancis21:
I see some people claiming the Nigerian music industry to be 'owned' by Yorubas when Igbo boys are already dominating the music industry. P-Square, 2 Igbo boys, are Nigeria and Africa's richest musicians. We have other Igbos such as Don Jazzy, Flavour, Phyno, Kcee etc calling the shots in Nigeria's music industry. Ever since D Banj broke up with Don Jazzy, his master, he has fallen so fast the path of downfall that nobody remembers him today and he struggles to maintain popularity for himself by posting pictures of himself everyday on facebook. The very thought of Flavour or P-Square coming to the US (Texas, Washington DC etc.) to perform rocks the entire United States. They also rock places like South Africa, the Caribbean (Flavour's Nwa Baby remix song is a family household song in Haiti, Jamaica, Grenada, and the rest of the Caribbean) etc. I don't see the US go agog for Olamide, Davido or Wizkid.

On the extreme flank in the movie industry, 'Nollywood is solidly in the hands of Igbo business men also known as the Alaba cartel'. The New York times aptly captures the description best. I need not say any further.
Yoruba artistes are ruling the airwaves.Can you even compare any ibo artiste to wizkid,davido or olamide.Maybe psquare sha but their time have even passed sef.The raves of the moment. are even yoruba artistes from kiss daniel to korede bello to reekado banks and many more.The music industry is the exclusive property of the yorubas.Shun bigotry and accept this cold fact.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Ebere Larry Ebere Dies After Accident (photos) / Yul Edochie Unveils His Second Wife And Son / Amara Maduka: I Use intimacy gadget To Give Myself The Best

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.