Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,091 members, 7,821,774 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

Misconception About Thanksgiving - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Misconception About Thanksgiving (717 Views)

Man Who Woke Up After Being "Declared Dead" Holds Thanksgiving Service. PICS / Pastor Oritsejafor Dances Joyously As CAN Honours Him With Thanksgiving Service / David Oyedepo In Akwa-Ibom For Udom's Thanksgiving (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Misconception About Thanksgiving by aribitoye(m): 9:08pm On Oct 23, 2015
There is an error I see in christian thanksgiving these days- the attitude of christians evaluating thanksgiving by comparing themselves with the less privileged in the society. You hear such prayers such as: I thank God for sparing my life BECAUSE a lot of people have died, a lot are in the hospital.bla bla bla. A friend of mine even posted one time on facebook that "I thank God am not living in jos BECAUSE a lot have lost their lives to the bomb blast". Others are: I thank God I have my needs met BECAUSE a lot are begging for bread. Etc. Now, I am not saying that you shouldn't give thanks o. No No No. That is why I put the emphasis on the conjunction 'because'. Give thanks for what God has done for you, ur family, life etc. But why compare or evaluate your thanksgiving with the misfortune of others? Tell me how would you feel if a blind man is beside you at the moment you are giving thanks for your sight, and you refer to someone being blind? Sure you wouldn't even give thanks if he/she were there! Would you? Selah. To the scriptures: I haven't seen anywhere in the bible where Jesus gave thanks and referred to a. Unfortunate situation in order to drive home his thanksgiving. Open to John 11:33-41. Lets see what happened when Jesus wanted to raise up Lazarus from the dead. The bible says 'Jesus wept' vs 35. What caused Him to weep? The answer is in Vs 34 ' He was deeply troubled in the spirit' or in other versions, ' He was angry in the spirit ' this clearly shows how we should respond to oppressions of people, misfortunes, omens, spells, etc.. We should be angry and troubled in the spirit. Not using their situations to give thanks for our seemly 'better' conditions. Your angered spirit should spur us to pray the will of God to be done in their situations. We should instead reach out prayerfully to them and even physically see what we can do about it. After all, that is the reason God has spared your life up to this moment in the first instance.
Please feel free to comment especially pastors and bible teachers who know the Word. Sarcastic comments aren't welcomed pls
Re: Misconception About Thanksgiving by martineverest(m): 9:09pm On Oct 23, 2015
aribitoye:
There is an error I see in christian thanksgiving these days- the attitude of christians evaluating thanksgiving by comparing themselves with the less privileged in the society. You hear such prayers such as: I thank God for sparing my life BECAUSE a lot of people have died, a lot are in the hospital.bla bla bla. A friend of mine even posted one time on facebook that "I thank God am not living in jos BECAUSE a lot have lost their lives to the bomb blast". Others are: I thank God I have my needs met BECAUSE a lot are begging for bread. Etc. Now, I am not saying that you shouldn't give thanks o. No No No. That is why I put the emphasis on the conjunction 'because'. Give thanks for what God has done for you, ur family, life etc. But why compare or evaluate your thanksgiving with the misfortune of others? Tell me how would you feel if a blind man is beside you at the moment you are giving thanks for your sight, and you refer to someone being blind? Sure you wouldn't even give thanks if he/she were there! Would you? Selah. To the scriptures: I haven't seen anywhere in the bible where Jesus gave thanks and referred to a. Unfortunate situation in order to drive home his thanksgiving. Open to John 11:33-41. Lets see what happened when Jesus wanted to raise up Lazarus from the dead. The bible says 'Jesus wept' vs 35. What caused Him to weep? The answer is in Vs 34 ' He was deeply troubled in the spirit' or in other versions, ' He was angry in the spirit ' this clearly shows how we should respond to oppressions of people, misfortunes, omens, spells, etc.. We should be angry and troubled in the spirit. Not using their situations to give thanks for our seemly 'better' conditions. Your angered spirit should spur us to pray the will of God to be done in their situations. We should instead reach out prayerfully to them and even physically see what we can do about it. After all, that is the reason God has spared your life up to this moment in the first instance.
Please feel free to comment especially pastors and bible teachers who know the Word. Sarcastic comments aren't welcomed pls
ride on pastor
Re: Misconception About Thanksgiving by frank317: 7:12am On Oct 24, 2015
aribitoye:

Lol... Atheists are really helping u guys think.

(1) (Reply)

The Apostolic Church Members, Are You Here? / When Somebody Says "That Hallelujah Is Too Small For God" (photo) / 7 Quick Tips To Having A Meaningful Morning Devotion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.