Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,351 members, 7,815,717 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? (5892 Views)

Do We Truly Have Free Will? Does The Bible Teach It? / Debunking The Trinity Logic / See How This Equation And Analogy Prove The Idea Of The Trinity Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:07am On Oct 24, 2015
What does the Bible teach about the Trinity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQkFlzFJ3kA
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by Scholar8200(m): 12:21pm On Oct 24, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost
Matthew 28:19

It does not say names.

Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.
Isaiah 6:8

It does not say, "whom shall We send" neither did it say, 'will go for Me"

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them

Genesis 1:26,27

Lest some one say He was referring to the Angels when He said US, let such remember that in NO part of scripture are Angels described as partners in Creation! Besides, if that referred to Angels, at least the next verse should have been the subjects (Angels) carrying out the command!

Finally.
21 that they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
John 17:21

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by malvisguy212: 2:31pm On Oct 24, 2015
Scholar8200:

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost

It does not say names.

Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them

Lest some one say He was referring to the Angels when He said US, let such remember that in NO part of scripture are Angels described as partners in Creation! Besides, if that referred to Angels, at least the next verse should have been the subjects (Angels) carrying out the command!

Finally.
21 that they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
I love this bro. God bless you more.

3 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by Scholar8200(m): 2:33pm On Oct 24, 2015
malvisguy212:
I love this bro. God bless you more.
Amen! God bless you too.
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:25pm On Oct 26, 2015
Scholar8200:

It does not say names.

Finally.

Well said. smiley

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:09pm On Oct 29, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer:

The most difficult thing about the Christian concept of the Trinity is that there is no way to perfectly and completely understand it. The Trinity is a concept that is impossible for any human being to fully understand, let alone explain. God is infinitely greater than we are; therefore, we should not expect to be able to fully understand Him. The Bible teaches that the Father is God, that Jesus is God, and that the Holy Spirit is God. The Bible also teaches that there is only one God. Though we can understand some facts about the relationship of the different Persons of the Trinity to one another, ultimately, it is incomprehensible to the human mind. However, this does not mean the Trinity is not true or that it is not based on the teachings of the Bible.

The Trinity is one God existing in three Persons. Understand that this is not in any way suggesting three Gods. Keep in mind when studying this subject that the word "Trinity" is not found in Scripture. This is a term that is used to attempt to describe the triune God—three coexistent, co-eternal Persons who make up God. Of real importance is that the concept represented by the word "Trinity" does exist in Scripture. The following is what God's Word says about the Trinity:

1) There is one God (Deuteronomy 6:4; 1 Corinthians 8:4; Galatians 3:20; 1 Timothy 2:5).

2) The Trinity consists of three Persons (Genesis 1:1, 26; 3:22; 11:7; Isaiah 6:8, 48:16, 61:1; Matthew 3:16-17, 28:19; 2 Corinthians 13:14). In Genesis 1:1, the Hebrew plural noun "Elohim" is used. In Genesis 1:26, 3:22, 11:7 and Isaiah 6:8, the plural pronoun for "us" is used. The word "Elohim" and the pronoun "us" are plural forms, definitely referring in the Hebrew language to more than two. While this is not an explicit argument for the Trinity, it does denote the aspect of plurality in God. The Hebrew word for "God," "Elohim," definitely allows for the Trinity.

In Isaiah 48:16 and 61:1, the Son is speaking while making reference to the Father and the Holy Spirit. Compare Isaiah 61:1 to Luke 4:14-19 to see that it is the Son speaking. Matthew 3:16-17 describes the event of Jesus' baptism. Seen in this passage is God the Holy Spirit descending on God the Son while God the Father proclaims His pleasure in the Son. Matthew 28:19 and 2 Corinthians 13:14 are examples of three distinct Persons in the Trinity.

3) The members of the Trinity are distinguished one from another in various passages. In the Old Testament, "LORD" is distinguished from "Lord" (Genesis 19:24; Hosea 1:4). The LORD has a Son (Psalm 2:7, 12; Proverbs 30:2-4). The Spirit is distinguished from the "LORD" (Numbers 27:18) and from "God" (Psalm 51:10-12). God the Son is distinguished from God the Father (Psalm 45:6-7; Hebrews 1:8-9). In the New Testament, Jesus speaks to the Father about sending a Helper, the Holy Spirit (John 14:16-17). This shows that Jesus did not consider Himself to be the Father or the Holy Spirit. Consider also all the other times in the Gospels where Jesus speaks to the Father. Was He speaking to Himself? No. He spoke to another Person in the Trinity—the Father.

4) Each member of the Trinity is God. The Father is God (John 6:27; Romans 1:7; 1 Peter 1:2). The Son is God (John 1:1, 14; Romans 9:5; Colossians 2:9; Hebrews 1:8; 1 John 5:20). The Holy Spirit is God (Acts 5:3-4; 1 Corinthians 3:16).

5) There is subordination within the Trinity. Scripture shows that the Holy Spirit is subordinate to the Father and the Son, and the Son is subordinate to the Father. This is an internal relationship and does not deny the deity of any Person of the Trinity. This is simply an area which our finite minds cannot understand concerning the infinite God. Concerning the Son see Luke 22:42, John 5:36, John 20:21, and 1 John 4:14. Concerning the Holy Spirit see John 14:16, 14:26, 15:26, 16:7, and especially John 16:13-14.

6) The individual members of the Trinity have different tasks. The Father is the ultimate source or cause of the universe (1 Corinthians 8:6; Revelation 4:11); divine revelation (Revelation 1:1); salvation (John 3:16-17); and Jesus' human works (John 5:17; 14:10). The Father initiates all of these things.

The Son is the agent through whom the Father does the following works: the creation and maintenance of the universe (1 Corinthians 8:6; John 1:3; Colossians 1:16-17); divine revelation (John 1:1, 16:12-15; Matthew 11:27; Revelation 1:1); and salvation (2 Corinthians 5:19; Matthew 1:21; John 4:42). The Father does all these things through the Son, who functions as His agent.

The Holy Spirit is the means by whom the Father does the following works: creation and maintenance of the universe (Genesis 1:2; Job 26:13; Psalm 104:30); divine revelation (John 16:12-15; Ephesians 3:5; 2 Peter 1:21); salvation (John 3:6; Titus 3:5; 1 Peter 1:2); and Jesus' works (Isaiah 61:1; Acts 10:38). Thus, the Father does all these things by the power of the Holy Spirit.

There have been many attempts to develop illustrations of the Trinity. However, none of the popular illustrations are completely accurate. The egg (or apple) fails in that the shell, white, and yolk are parts of the egg, not the egg in themselves, just as the skin, flesh, and seeds of the apple are parts of it, not the apple itself. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are not parts of God; each of them is God. The water illustration is somewhat better, but it still fails to adequately describe the Trinity. Liquid, vapor, and ice are forms of water. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are not forms of God, each of them is God. So, while these illustrations may give us a picture of the Trinity, the picture is not entirely accurate. An infinite God cannot be fully described by a finite illustration.

The doctrine of the Trinity has been a divisive issue throughout the entire history of the Christian church. While the core aspects of the Trinity are clearly presented in God’s Word, some of the side issues are not as explicitly clear. The Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God—but there is only one God. That is the biblical doctrine of the Trinity. Beyond that, the issues are, to a certain extent, debatable and non-essential. Rather than attempting to fully define the Trinity with our finite human minds, we would be better served by focusing on the fact of God's greatness and His infinitely higher nature. "Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?" (Romans 11:33-34).

Recommended Resources: Making Sense of the Trinity: Three Crucial Questions by Millard Erickson and The Forgotten Trinity by James White.

Below is the best symbol for the Trinity we are aware of (click to expand):

http://www.gotquestions.org/Trinity-Bible.html

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by dolphinheart(m): 1:15pm On Oct 29, 2015
What is trinity? . I can bet some of ur views might be different!
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:18pm On Oct 31, 2015
dolphinheart:

I suppose the post above addresses your question. undecided
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by plappville(f): 1:21pm On Oct 31, 2015
Did Jesus teach the trinity? Something you said it's beyond mens understanding, why teaching it to men?

Just a question: do we have to believe in the trinity to be saved? If yes, bible proof pls. Thanks.
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by plappville(f): 1:22pm On Oct 31, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer:

The most difficult thing about the Christian concept of the Trinity is that there is no way to perfectly and completely understand it. The Trinity is a concept that is impossible for any human being to fully understand, let alone explain.

Is this how God wants it? Or how man wants it?
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by Emusan(m): 1:27pm On Oct 31, 2015
dolphinheart:

You promised me sometimes ago that you will get the booklet published by Watchtower Society title "Should you believe in Trinity?" Have you gotten the booklet?
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by Pr0ton: 1:30pm On Oct 31, 2015
plappville:
Did Jesus teach the trinity? Something you said it's beyond mens understanding, why teaching it to men?

He must find a cause for sending us to hell, and there is no better way than that.
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by Emusan(m): 1:31pm On Oct 31, 2015
plappville:

Is this how God wants it? Or how man wants it?
Are you telling me that you FULLY KNOW who the Father and the Son is?
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by dolphinheart(m): 1:36pm On Oct 31, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

I suppose the post above addresses your question. undecided

Is that ur own view of trinity?
Does everyone who believes in trinity accept same view as urs?
Does that diagram explain the relationship between the three?
Do you have scriptures that explain trinity, I mean the relationship between the 3?

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by dolphinheart(m): 1:40pm On Oct 31, 2015
Emusan:

You promised me sometimes ago that you will get the booklet published by Watchtower Society title "Should you believe in Trinity?" Have you gotten the booklet?

Did I promise I will get the booklet? I can't remember making such promise. But if I really did, pls remind me where and when and ill apologise for my error.

As to the question, the answer is "no".

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by Emusan(m): 1:56pm On Oct 31, 2015
dolphinheart:

Did I promise I will get the booklet? I can't remember making such promise. But if I really did, pls remind me where and when and ill apologise for my error.

As to the question, the answer is "no".

That means you're not a man of your word!
Or you discovered that the link is not in support of watchtower society and you decided to silent the issue.

I vividly remember I gave you the link where you can get it because your organization has removed the booklet in their online library and stopped the publication.

This is the link again: http://thesnarkyapologist..com/2013/02/should-you-believe-in-trinity-booklet.html
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by plappville(f): 2:27pm On Oct 31, 2015
Emusan:

Are you telling me that you FULLY KNOW who the Father and the Son is?

What made you so sure I am wrong and you are right?

I said Jesus did not teach the TRINITY. AND YOU?

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by dolphinheart(m): 2:34pm On Oct 31, 2015
Emusan:

That means you're not a man of your word!
Or you discovered that the link is not in support of watchtower society and you decided to silent the issue.

Sometimes I find it hard to understand why you are quick to jump into conclusions concerning me. I asked you simple questions concerning the promise you said I made. You did not answer on that one.

I made simple, honest remark as to the supposed promise, if its true that I made such promise, let me see it! , I will apologise for my mistakes and try to make amends. I'm not perfect .

These simple request I make and you decided to accuse me!
This is not a fight where we will be looking for a winner, dnt try to bring me down, let's use the scriptures to discuss.
I vividly remember I gave you the link where you can get it because your organization has removed the booklet in their online library and stopped the publication.

This is the link again: http://thesnarkyapologist..com/2013/02/should-you-believe-in-trinity-booklet.html

Bro, are we here to discuss what an organization says or our beliefs concerning trinity, using the scriptures as main guide. Tell me ur view on trinity and ill tell you mine, and we will use the scripture as guide.
If you have issues with any organization, get in touch with them! Not me. They have an address, a location where all ur issues can be pursued by you and addressed.

As to the booklet, I've not read it!
But pls tell, has the authors of the book changed their views on trinity?
Why don't they publish the book any longer?

4 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by plappville(f): 2:44pm On Oct 31, 2015
Pr0ton:

He must find a cause for sending us to hell, and there is no better way than that.

So many people are finding it difficult to embrace God cause of the trinity dogma. If the apostles Peter standing in front of Christ prophessed that Jesus was the "son of God" and Christ appreciated him for that. Why should I over read meaning to the scripture ? Isn't this an occasion for Christ to have said he was God? It's difficult to explain this TRINITY doctrine to children. Its this Christ aim to make it difficult for men to understand him and his Father? next person that will come here to reply me will say. (Oh yes you need the holy spirit to reveal the trinity to you). Some church are diverting Christ teaching. The Messiah was to be a man not God. And the Prophet Moses promised the Israelites should be a man not God. He must be like MOSES. Not half God.

2 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by Pr0ton: 4:30pm On Oct 31, 2015
plappville:

So many people are finding it difficult to embrace God cause of the trinity dogma. If the apostles Peter standing in front of Christ prophessed that Jesus was the "son of God" and Christ appreciated him for that. Why should I over read meaning to the scripture ? Isn't this an occasion for Christ to have said he was God? It's difficult to explain this TRINITY doctrine to children. Its this Christ aim to make it difficult for men to understand him and his Father? next person that will come here to reply me will say. (Oh yes you need the holy spirit to reveal the trinity to you). Some church are diverting Christ teaching. The Messiah was to be a man not God. And the Prophet Moses promised the Israelites should be a man not God. He must be like MOSES. Not half God.

Of course.. the Messiah prophesied in the OT was to be an anointed person just as Saul, David, Solomon etc were. But early Christians didn't want to be left out from the supernatural birth, dying and rising gods myths going around then lest their growing religion gets cut-off or becomes less successful. So they had to add some spice by distorting OT texts and prophecies to suit their fabrigated story of a son of God borne by a virgin who died for sins and got resurrected and who was also the Messiah.
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by Richirich713: 4:54pm On Oct 31, 2015
Pr0ton:

Of course.. the Messiah prophesied in the OT was to be an anointed person just as Soul, David, Solomon etc were. But early Christians didn't want to be left out from the supernatural birth, dying and rising gods myths going around then lest their growing religion gets cut-off or becomes less successful. So they had to add some spice by distorting OT texts and prophesies to suit their fabrigated story of a son of God borne by a virgin who died for sins and got resurrected and who was also the Messiah.

I'm pretty sure jesus knew much more than u about wat the scriptures taught about the messiah.

And I'm pretty sure paul,peter,john,matthew etc knew much more than u about the bible.
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by Pr0ton: 5:13pm On Oct 31, 2015
Richirich713:

I'm pretty sure jesus knew much more than u about wat the scriptures taught about the messiah.

And I'm pretty sure paul,peter,john,matthew etc knew much more than u about the bible.

If they did know more about the Messiah then they deliberately made up a lie to deceive the mass.
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by Richirich713: 5:40pm On Oct 31, 2015
Pr0ton:

If they did know more about the Messiah then they deliberately made up a lie to deceive the mass.

The made up no lies , they told the truth.
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by Scholar8200(m): 5:50pm On Oct 31, 2015
And David who you are trying to equate with Jesus said:

The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand,
until I make thine enemies thy footstool.
Psalm 110:1

And Jesus Himself said:
58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
John 8:58

For better understanding consider:
And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
John17:5
Notice that He didnt say, "glory which I had FROM Thee" as would have been said by a creature!

And John tells us accentuating the above:
18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

These corrects the error highlighted.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by Pr0ton: 6:21pm On Oct 31, 2015
Richirich713:

The made up no lies , they told the truth

Which points to your ignorance, too, about who the Messiah was to be.
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by Pr0ton: 6:23pm On Oct 31, 2015
Scholar8200:

And Jesus Himself said:
58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
Notice that He didnt say, "glory which I had FROM Thee" as would have been said by a creature!

18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

...and points out the affirmation of two gods.
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by Jozzy4: 7:08pm On Oct 31, 2015
plappville:

Just a question: do we have to believe in the trinity to be saved? If yes, bible proof pls. Thanks.

The bold is a very good question . When you dont understand something , it simply means you dont know it .

Contrary to their delusion , Jesus said " we (clearly include himself ) worship what WE know" john 4:22 not some absurd concept called a mystery .

Clearly , Jesus have a God superior to him . { 1 Cor 15:24, 27 }

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by plappville(f): 10:22pm On Oct 31, 2015
Scholar8200:

And Jesus Himself said:

Bro thank s for your response. But this type of subject has been treated here in NL times without numbers. You have quoted verses didn't say anything about the trinity. The bible made us to know that Jesus came from Above. His devine nature is not my argument but that He Jesus is Yahweh The Almighty according to the trinity. Jesus himself told us in several verses that He has a "GOD" he also told us the word he says are not his. We know that It is only through Him we can be saved because He made it clear. ( I am the way the truth and the life for no man cometh unto the father but by me.) I don't really want to go into posting verses here. It will looks like repeating same things over and over again. If the Trinity was a doctrine of Jesus, them he would have made it known by teaching it. Jesus never introduced such doctrine. We know when this came to the church and by who it came. If God puts His word in Jesus mouth it means when he says I am the Alpha and the Omega. It is God who is speaking through Him.

Don't forget that at the end of everything, Jesus will hand over everything to the Father. How are they thesame?

2 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by plappville(f): 10:27pm On Oct 31, 2015
Jozzy4:

The bold is a very good question . When you dont understand something , it simply means you dont know it .

Contrary to their delusion , Jesus said " we (clearly include himself ) worship what WE know" john 4:22 not some absurd concept called a mystery .

Clearly , Jesus have a God superior to him . { 1 Cor 15:24, 27 }

Exactly, He declared this several times. But as usual. Man wants to add to God's word.. undecided
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by plappville(f): 10:29pm On Oct 31, 2015
How does the trinity looks like.

Like this? Or

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by plappville(f): 10:30pm On Oct 31, 2015
Like this? undecided

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? by dolphinheart(m): 10:39pm On Oct 31, 2015
plappville:

Exactly, He declared this several times. But as usual. Man wants to add to God's word.. undecided

The angel told mary who she was going to give birth to, he will be called " gods son " I read and did not read "god the son" .

I recall that jesus specifically asked peter who he thinks he is, and peter answered him with "son of god ".
I read that jesus told mary , I have not yet ascended to my god and ur god. Some say jesus is god, but jesus says he has a god.

I have read about who jesus called "the only true god" and I did not see the holy spirit or jesus mentioned there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Child Indoctrination / Pope Francis Hosts Feathered Serpent God As Part Of Deity Exchange Program / Children's Day: Are Children Always Blessing From God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.