Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,534 members, 7,819,915 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

Offshore Engineering Or Safety Engineering Which Should I Go For? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Offshore Engineering Or Safety Engineering Which Should I Go For? (6590 Views)

Marine And Offshore Engineering Software / Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here / Should I Major In Petroleum Engineering Or Chemical Engineering? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Offshore Engineering Or Safety Engineering Which Should I Go For? by Ehido(m): 2:16pm On May 06, 2009
Hi ALL,

I have 2 admissions Newecastle University for Offshorer Engineering and University of Aberdeen for Safety Engineering.

I like Offshore Engineering but because of the Industrial location of Aberdeen I am seriously considering going for the Safety Engineering.

I need expert advise on this issue, experienced responses will be very much appreciated in terms of oppourtunities open for me in both feilds and where is best for me to study to be better placed in terms of job search, industrial contribution to my project work.

Thanks.

Thanks.
Re: Offshore Engineering Or Safety Engineering Which Should I Go For? by okeyz(m): 8:02pm On May 06, 2009
Men go for offshore engineering ,my reasons been that offshore engineering is evolving now and then with new technologies that drives the oil and gas industry ,you can specialize in subsea engineering, men offshore engineering is the place to be , it can be intimidating but its rewards far outweighs the rigors involved, bsides offshore engineers are highly sought after as there is short of personnel to mann offshore rigs and rates are always going up,
If i had a choice to read offshore,i wont even think twice, it encompass everthing that deals with oil and gas production,from rig maintenace to production, you will be very grounded in all aspects of oil and gas exploration plus u will be given safety trainings as well cos offshore business is a risky one,
so, guy take offshore and see ur career fly,
Re: Offshore Engineering Or Safety Engineering Which Should I Go For? by Superbrain(m): 4:43pm On May 08, 2009
I second!!! Offshore Engineering is the in-thing. Who says you can't go to work in Aberdeen when you're done?
Re: Offshore Engineering Or Safety Engineering Which Should I Go For? by xavier3(m): 11:18pm On May 08, 2009
offshore engineering is d way 2go dude. der r tons of vacancies for such positions as skilled hands are hard 2 find. also the trend of the oil industry is shifting towards producing from the offshore region especially deep offshore.
Re: Offshore Engineering Or Safety Engineering Which Should I Go For? by Ehido(m): 5:17pm On May 11, 2009
Thanks dudes for all the response so far.

I am now tilted towards offshore engineering, more replies will be welcomed.

Thanks.
Re: Offshore Engineering Or Safety Engineering Which Should I Go For? by jaybee3(m): 5:26pm On May 11, 2009
Most Def Offshore engineering. had the chance to do MSc in it back in '03 but went for Information Engineering instead.

Offshore engineering is more like an umbrella for anything offshore whilst safety engineering is an element or perhaps a small aspect of offshore engineering.

You will be learning abt 'em ROV's umbilical cords. alot of control engineering.
Good Luck
Re: Offshore Engineering Or Safety Engineering Which Should I Go For? by whiteroses(f): 12:58pm On Aug 25, 2009
choose the city that has the most black people so you can enjoy your course overall
shallow? undecided
Re: Offshore Engineering Or Safety Engineering Which Should I Go For? by jaybee3(m): 1:00pm On Aug 25, 2009
whiteroses:

choose the city that has the most black people so you can enjoy your course overall
shallow? undecided
def shallow grin
should he choose london metropolitan university over robert gordon simply because london have the highest concentration of blacks/nigerians?
Re: Offshore Engineering Or Safety Engineering Which Should I Go For? by goziiii: 6:29pm On Feb 26, 2010
Trust me, there are more Naija here in Aberdeen than in London, and Safety engineering is def more flexible, i would know
Re: Offshore Engineering Or Safety Engineering Which Should I Go For? by Focusmind: 7:43pm On Feb 26, 2010
Distance does not matter - UK is not like Nigeria. You could move from Newcastle to Aberdeen within an hour in a safe and reliable transport network if you have any job interview or internship in Aberdeen. Most people come from different universities in UK to Aberdeen for oil and gas jobs. Staying in Aberdeen does not guarantee you job. Off shore engineering is the in thing now - Statoilhydro, Petrobras and Conocophillips are are major players in need of offshore engineers. Why not try Cranfield University? Well, in whatever school you are, try and make distinction or at worst a CGPA of not less than 4.00 in your MSC to stand great chance.
Re: Offshore Engineering Or Safety Engineering Which Should I Go For? by debosky(m): 2:27pm On Mar 11, 2010
What is YOUR personal interest? What are your strong points and weak points?

Do you like data analysis? Are you more of a problem solver or someone who likes developing solutions?

Are you a dedicated person with great attention to detail or are you the type who just wants to get things done without too much focus on the little things?

We have to learn to move away from simply doing the 'in thing' and doing what best suits us and what we can most excel at.

Those would be my questions to you - how compatible are you with the respective courses? With that in mind, not just perceived career opportunities, you can make the best choice.

(1) (Reply)

Help, What Should I Go For? Talent Or Survival. / 3 Facts About Workplace Productivity You Must Know: / Uba Honours Staff At 2018 Ceo Awards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.