Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,296 members, 7,815,515 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? (2431 Views)

Pay Tithe From The Money You Got From Gambleing, Right Or Wrong? / Curious!! Breastfeeding Inside The Church, Right Or Wrong? / Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by huxley(m): 5:19pm On May 06, 2009
An engineer, a doctor, a scholar, a lawyer - these professionals sell their services to their respective employers or clients and in return they get a monetary compensation for services rendered. Prostitutes also have a service to render for which they also get monetary compensation.

From this perspective, why is prostitution tabooed and maligned in most societies, particularly in societies that are predominantly religious?
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by Bastage: 5:43pm On May 06, 2009
It's maligned more because of what is associated with it - human trafficking, drugs, pimping, etc.
It's maligned because the vast majority of women who partake in prostitution do so because they have no other option.

Although I can think of quite a few lawyers I would like to call "whores", the comparison doesn't stand up in the cold light of day.

As for being maligned in religious societies? I think you'll find it's just as maligned (if not more) in societies which have large pro-feminist movements - and these tend to be the more liberal regions.

The question to ask here is how are the prostitutes themselves regarded? As victims or perpetrators?
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by mntpaul(m): 11:10pm On May 06, 2009
Sounds like your trying to rationalize the value of becoming a love-vendor?

Prostitution is wrong.

End of story.
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by huxley(m): 6:52am On May 07, 2009
mntpaul:

Sounds like your trying to rationalize the value of becoming a love-vendor?

Prostitution is wrong.

End of story.

Are you capable of thinking at all? If so, can you tell us WHY it is wrong? Can you justify your belief that it is wrong?
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by infoweb(m): 9:12am On May 07, 2009
HI hulex,

You need no sooth sayer to tell you that prostitution is not good. As a matter of fact, whatsoever God says is not good indeed not good. If you have a bible read 1Corinthians 10: 6 - 14. People are destroyed because of such evil trait. Do not see prostitution as one offering good service to people nor one using what she/he has to get what she/he wants.

It is an abormination before God and Humanity.

People taking to prostitution does not give it a good name nor makes it good.

Always advice people to abstain from such.

God is able to make a way for as many as look unto Him.

Bless you.
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by pinkylady1(f): 10:28am On May 07, 2009
one need not to argue with the word of God what ever it say is bad is bad simple

some people just need to back evil up with whatever means
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by Bastage: 10:34am On May 07, 2009
So eating prawns is bad because God says so in Leviticus?
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by Tonyet1(m): 11:23am On May 07, 2009
@[size=18pt]HUXLEY,[/size],

the body inside which our soul lives is God's property, now how would you feel if someone uses your house to trade profit for themself?

@[size=18pt]BASTAGE[/size],

if God says prawn is bad, bastage prawn is bad, believce it or not, even science speaks against eating prawn, i can give you a full doc if you so wish to see
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by Bastage: 11:25am On May 07, 2009
Yep. I wish to see.

Post it here.
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by Tonyet1(m): 12:27pm On May 07, 2009
as you wish!

Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by huxley(m): 1:22pm On May 07, 2009
tonye-t:

@[size=18pt]HUXLEY,[/size],

the body inside which our soul lives is God's property, now how would you feel if someone uses your house to trade profit for themself?

@[size=18pt]BASTAGE[/size],

if God says prawn is bad, bastage prawn is bad, believce it or not, even science speaks against eating prawn, i can give you a full doc if you so wish to see

So whatever God mandates as bad must be bad, correct? What about these:

1) Exodus 21: 17 "Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.

2) Deut 22: 28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

Should these commandments from God be obeyed?
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by pinkylady1(f): 2:17pm On May 07, 2009
why are u deviating from the original topic,

and to think u go through the bible just to condemn it really keeps me wondering
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by bawomolo(m): 2:42pm On May 07, 2009
pinky lady:

why are u deviating from the original topic,

and to thing u go through the bible just to condemn it really keeps me wondering

it's not a deviation from the topic, if you follow one OT law, why not follow the others

prostitution is fine as long as the woman/man does it on their own will and a love-vendor isn't involved.
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by Tonyet1(m): 3:28pm On May 07, 2009
@ [size=14pt]HUXLEY[/size],

bro few problem i have seen you have in all my days in nairaland is

1. your inability to understand something b4 jumping into conclusion,

2. you thirst for answers but are[size=14pt] too[/size] passionate to calm down and listen to the other debater

3. you only ask people questions, but dont answer when questions are thrown back at you

4. you are like a man who puts a red tinted shades and because of that all you tend to see will be red (u argue one sided only), a true debater is open to opinions and he/she learns something to change, but you, no no, it must be your way or never, hmmm too wrong
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by yeswecan(m): 4:54pm On May 07, 2009
@ HUXLEY
If God say it is wrong so it is. Or do you think it is right for anyone to cause his father or mother? Who are you to question God?
Please understand death in the bible means hell (Everlasting death). “The wages of sin is death” you should be able to know the connotation of the word “death”

Before quoting the bible please read up the full passage, it always refers to a particular situation. Bible terms cannot be stereotyped.

@ bawomolo
I will have to disagree with you. Prostitution is not fine; our body is the temple of God. This is the religion forum so we have to religionize our comments.
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by mntpaul(m): 5:56pm On May 07, 2009
@ Huxley in response to: Are you capable of thinking at all?  If so, can you tell us WHY it is wrong?  Can you justify your belief that it is wrong?

I won't give a spiritual view, because there might be atheist in here, so I will give a worldly view:

1.  Discrimination is wrong.  
2.  Genderism is discrimination based off of one's gender.  
3.  Young women in society are generally perceived as sexual objects.  The perceived view of sexual objects leads to further genderism.  
4.  The act or behaviour of prostitution promotes and reinforces societies view of women being sexualized objects.  

My premises leads me to conclude that prostitution promotes the discrimant behaviour of genderism.
Therefore, prostitution is wrong.
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by mntpaul(m): 6:21pm On May 07, 2009
@ Huxley in response to: Are you capable of thinking at all? If so, can you tell us WHY it is wrong? Can you justify your belief that it is wrong?

Spiritual view that may apply to all religious societies and cultures:

1. Society values are programmed into our minds by a process of domestication from the start of our birth.
2. Our minds are the holders of the values of society including scriptural knowledge and religion.
3. Right and Wrong (values and beliefs) are determined by the our societal backgrounds and culture.
4. Society and culture will evolve itself with values to further it's survival or else they will become lost civilizations that no longer exist (extinction).
5. Most successful society based religions preach a message of love.
6. Prostitution does not support the message of Love. It supports the exploitation of someone else and is contrary to the message of Love.

Therefore, Prostitution must be wrong from a spiritual view point of a religion that supports love.

p.s. When you die the mind will shrivel and dry out to become dust, so will the memories and programming from society. Your spirit will live on. Learn to separate the worldly mind from the spirit. You will discover there is a whole different life on the other side of the portal, even as we reside on this earthly realm.

End of story
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by huxley(m): 6:36pm On May 07, 2009
mntpaul:

@ Huxley in response to: Are you capable of thinking at all? If so, can you tell us WHY it is wrong? Can you justify your belief that it is wrong?

[b]Spiritual [/b]view that may apply to all religious societies and cultures:

1. Society values are programmed into our minds by a process of domestication from the start of our birth.
2. Our minds are the holders of the values of society including scriptural knowledge and religion.
3. Right and Wrong (values and beliefs) are determined by the our societal backgrounds and culture.
4. Society and culture will evolve itself with values to further it's survival or else they will become lost civilizations that no longer exist (extinction).
5. Most successful society based religions preach a message of love.
6. Prostitution does not support the message of Love. It supports the exploitation of someone else and is contrary to the message of Love.

Therefore, Prostitution must be wrong from a spiritual view point of a religion that supports love.

p.s. When you die the mind will shrivel and dry out to become dust, so will the memories and programming from society. Your spirit will live on. Learn to separate the worldly mind from the spirit. You will discover there is a whole different life on the other side of the portal, even as we reside on this earthly realm.

End of story

Can you provide evidence that there is such a thing as spirit within humans? When does a spirit infuse itself into the human being? Is it at birth? When exactly?
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by mntpaul(m): 7:08pm On May 07, 2009
spiritual evidence or worldly evidence? Huxley, your so black and white with your question, I wonder if your a mathematician or scientist.

I like your question, because everyones faith or belief should be tested from time to time. If people are religious, which I am not saying I am. We all should be able to answer your questions. People should be able to state why they believe in something. If you know your willing to die for your belief, you should know what your dieing for. I challenge everyone here to give their answer to your question.

For me. My own personal and private evidence is that when I pray, what I prayed for happened or came true. There has been nothing that has never been unanswered.

Other evidence is the bible. Not everyone believes in the bible, but I do believe Christ existed. I think most historians agree. If the bible is a documented history book of the miracles of Christ. I am relying on the testimony of the witnesses of Christ. Correct me if I am wrong, even the
Quran, believes Christ existed, and was miraculous. I think even the Jews believe Christ existed. I am unsure of Budism or other religions.

There is another sense that spirited people have that worldly people may or may not understand. Its called faith. It is believing something is without using the 5 senses. Maybe you just know or believe that your mother loves you. How do you know? You just do.
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by huxley(m): 8:05pm On May 07, 2009
mntpaul:

spiritual evidence or worldly evidence? Huxley, your so black and white with your question, I wonder if your a mathematician or scientist.

I like your question, because everyones faith or belief should be tested from time to time. If people are religious, which I am not saying I am. We all should be able to answer your questions. People should be able to state why they believe in something. If you know your willing to die for your belief, you should know what your dieing for. I challenge everyone here to give their answer to your question.

For me. My own personal and private evidence is that when I pray, what I prayed for happened or came true. There has been nothing that has never been unanswered.

Other evidence is the bible. Not everyone believes in the bible, but I do believe Christ existed. I think most historians agree. If the bible is a documented history book of the miracles of Christ. I am relying on the testimony of the witnesses of Christ. Correct me if I am wrong, even the
Quran, believes Christ existed, and was miraculous. I think even the Jews believe Christ existed. I am unsure of Budism or other religions.

There is another sense that spirited people have that worldly people may or may not understand. Its called faith. It is believing something is without using the 5 senses. Maybe you just know or believe that your mother loves you. How do you know? You just do.

Funny how you did not answer my question about how humans come to have spirits! Can you give that another go?

On the issue of prayers, how do you know it was your prayers that eventually occasioned the results you desired. Could the results not have happened without prayers? There are millions of people who go about their daily lives without a prayer and yet they achieve great results in their careers, family, health, etc, etc. How do you explain that?

Do me a little favour and put your prayer again to the test by doing the following:

Put an empty class in front of you and put a piece of cardboard (or lid) over its rim. Then go down on your knees and pray, asking God that he fills the glass up with pure drinking water within the hour. Then come back here and report the results.

I shall do the same here and will report back the results as well.

Looking forward to your results (and mine)
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by Bastage: 8:28pm On May 07, 2009
You guys are getting mixed up between "spirit" and "soul".
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by mntpaul(m): 8:57pm On May 07, 2009
Funny how you did not answer my question about how humans come to have spirits! Can you give that another go?

Answer to your question: All humans have spirits, that is my belief and my belief is my reality.

On the issue of prayers, how do you know it was your prayers that eventually occasioned the results you desired. Could the results not have happened without prayers? There are millions of people who go about their daily lives without a prayer and yet they achieve great results in their careers, family, health, etc, etc. How do you explain that?

Answer: First part. My prayers are answered, because they were explicate, and also I have faith, faith is believing. I do not know about the others of millions of people. I only know what I believe.

Do me a little favour and put your prayer again to the test by doing the following:

Put an empty class in front of you and put a piece of cardboard (or lid) over its rim. Then go down on your knees and pray, asking God that he fills the glass up with pure drinking water within the hour. Then come back here and report the results.

Answer: Why would I challenge my faith with your test. Who are you to test my belief? I already know what I believe in. What kind of society do you come from. I am from the USA. you have a right to believe what ever you want. I don't go on my knees to pray; who are you to tell me how to pray? What kind of person are you? Where do you come from?

What were the results of you taking your test? Did it change your current belief? Or is your belief still the same?
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by huxley(m): 9:06pm On May 07, 2009
huxley:

[size=18pt]Woow, Woow, Woow! It is a miracle. My God, It is a miracle.[/size]

I prayed fervently, in the manner of Elijah, stopping occasionally to check the glass and to read a few postings, and going back to praying. I prayed hard in the name of Jesus, pleading for HIM to fill the empty glass with clean water.

And it has happened. Jesus filled my empty glass with clean water. Hoooh, Hoooh, it is a miracle. Jesus has done a miracle for me. Wow Jesus must be real and alive now.

It is a miracle. Jesus filled my empty glass with water.
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by huxley(m): 9:29pm On May 07, 2009
mntpaul:

Answer to your question: All humans have spirits, that is my belief and my belief is my reality.

Answer: First part. My prayers are answered, because they were explicate, and also I have faith, faith is believing. I do not know about the others of millions of people. I only know what I believe.

Answer: Why would I challenge my faith with your test. Who are you to test my belief? I already know what I believe in. What kind of society do you come from. I am from the USA. you have a right to believe what ever you want. I don't go on my knees to pray; who are you to tell me how to pray? What kind of person are you? Where do you come from?

What were the results of you taking your test? Did it change your current belief? Or is your belief still the same?

What a shame you did not pray to Jesus to fill your glass. Jesus just did that to me. And if he could do that for a non-believer I am sure he can do the same for you.
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by mntpaul(m): 9:41pm On May 07, 2009
@ Huxley RE: What a shame you did not pray to Jesus to fill your glass. Jesus just did that to me. And if he could do that for a non-believer I am sure he can do the same for you.

RE: What a shame you did not pray to Jesus to fill your glass.

Shame for you? For who? Are you saying your a non-believer? I had no idea.

RE:Jesus just did that to me. And if he could do that for a non-believer I am sure he can do the same for you.

Ok thats nice. I am not thirsty right now, but next time I drink some water, I will thank God for the water.
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by bawomolo(m): 11:08pm On May 07, 2009
I will have to disagree with you. Prostitution is not fine; our body is the temple of God. This is the religion forum so we have to religionize our comments.

oh cut it, is eating high cholesterol foods wrong since it affects God's temple? Whether you think prostitution is right or wrong doesn't give you the right to criminalize.
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by cooldud62: 11:54pm On May 07, 2009
Well, maybe because this post is in religious section, thats why the whole bible quoting issue,
A simple question deserves a simple answer and a back up (not scriptural).

The question i want to ask is this:
What is prostitution?
can i get a reply to this ASAP please?
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by skfa1: 11:56pm On May 07, 2009
@ Poster

Answer = Wrong
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by jpworld(m): 3:32am On May 08, 2009
If prostitution is bad then gay is evil, why did white men legalise gay marriage something we knew is forbbings, within our heart, but there heart accept it, if a girl wake's up and enjoy been a prostitute is her choise, but the problem is that african prostitute always pretend, they choose it no excuses
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by Sissy3(f): 3:47am On May 08, 2009
tonye-t:

[color=#000099]@[size=18pt]HUXLEY,[/size],

well said. our body is the temple of the lord, it is on a loan to us and we ought not to defile it therefore, the act of prostitution is wrong
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by OgidiBoy(m): 3:51am On May 08, 2009
Prostitution is the oldest career known to man, it was done during the time of the bible.

Prostitution is a victimless crime as long as it's practiced safely
Re: Prostitution - Right Or Wrong? by Sissy3(f): 3:57am On May 08, 2009
OgidiBoy:

Prostitution is the oldest career known to man, it was done during the time of the bible.

Prostitution is a victimless crime as long as it's practiced safely

still doesn't justify it

(1) (2) (Reply)

Happy Valentine / Pray For Alfaseltzer.( The Satanist) / Can A Born Again Christian Participate In BBN?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.