Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,484 members, 7,836,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That (42503 Views)

Presidency Keeps Mum On Indictment Of Usani, Buhari’s Minister For Fraud / Uguru Usani Was Indicted For Fraud In Cross River (Documents Attached) / Usani Uguru Reveals Sponsors Of Niger Delta Avengers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by natureblack(m): 5:20pm On Oct 28, 2015
LaRoyalHighness:
The way the thing happened yesterday and the way it's reported is different. Silly reporter...
So,what really happened yesterday ?

Please untangle undecided
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by Phitocine(m): 5:32pm On Oct 28, 2015
Why crucifying her, the truth is that 50%of our leaders can not recite it perfectly.
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by hotdi(m): 5:33pm On Oct 28, 2015
Chiaka:
WHICH WAY NIGERIA
HMN!
Another ministerial nominee, Mrs Zainab Ahmed, who was only picked simply for being the foster sister of the Kaduna state Govenor, Mallam Nasir El Rufai, shamefully missed one of the lines of the national pledge, after she was asked to recite it to show her patriotism

She didn't miss the line as alleged, I watched it live, she said "I pledge to Nigeria my country, to be loyal, faithful and honest" instead of, to be faithful, loyal and honest. She got every other thing right, its just that mix-up.

1 Like

Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by Lovexme(m): 5:46pm On Oct 28, 2015
sirTesco:

so wrong, dont say 'educated illiterates' but 'schooled illiterates'.
Schooling is not Education.

Thank you, Sir. On this thread, I'll stick to mine smiley
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by Kbs468(m): 5:56pm On Oct 28, 2015
kennygee:

A big sham.

But its really a shame if a so called ministerial aspirant cannot recite her country's pledge.

Who then is sheserving biko?

Her pockets?
Well not really that she could not recite shaa but what actually transpired was that she mentioned LOYAL B4 FAITHFUL. Eg she said
'I PLEDGE TO NIGERIA MY COUNTRY
TO BE LOYAL FAITHFUL AND HONEST' then went ahead to complete the rest instead of saying
<TO BE FAITHFUL LOYAL AND HONEST>
I am sure that could happen to anybody. Atimes you know when you least expect something especially as non of the nominees before her was asked to do such. Those of them who lived their lives outside Naija could have been worst for it if they were caught unawares too

1 Like

Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by Kbs468(m): 6:22pm On Oct 28, 2015
hotdi:

She didn't miss the line as alleged, I watched it live, she said "I pledge to Nigeria my country, to be loyal, faithful and honest" instead of, to be faithful, loyal and honest. She got every other thing right, its just that mix-up.
That is Nigeria for you. We attach so much importance to frivolity rather than substance. The most important thing is sticking and abiding to the meaning of those words as written in the National pledge, instead because we give relevance to the arrangement of the words and not their meaning, so her utterance became headline news. Just like some pupils will say Nigeria's flag has 3 colours if they have never actually been told it is 2 by their teachers

2 Likes

Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by Kbs468(m): 6:29pm On Oct 28, 2015
natureblack:
So,what really happened yesterday ?

Please untangle undecided
She actually recited every word correctly but only mentioned LOYAL BEFORE FAITHFUL AND HONEST.
Instead of FAITHFUL LOYAL AND HONEST, she said LOYAL FAITHFUL AND HONEST

1 Like

Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by Eruditor: 6:31pm On Oct 28, 2015
instaforexngr:
poor journalism or childish blogging.
The Lady in question recited National pledge correctly.
Watch the video again.
Lame bloggers looking for cheap traffic

Exactly.

I watched her screening live. She said "to be Loyal, faithful and Honest" instead of "to be faithful, Loyal and Honest" and it certainly doesn't mean she missed a line or couldn't recite the Pledge. In proper English that line of the pledge should even read "to be faithful, honest and Loyal" because alphabetical order is employed in listing things out. But who cares?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by tiwiex(m): 6:38pm On Oct 28, 2015
bapullow:
Even formal minister of finance said she regret working PDP government or Previous admin.

Former not formal please. I know we are all improving but common, I have seen this mistake before. I hope it was also from you though. That would be a relief.

1 Like

Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by tiwiex(m): 6:43pm On Oct 28, 2015
hotdi:

So what do we call that. It shows she just learnt it for the purpose of this. If anyone misses the order of that popular line, e miss am be that oh. There is a flow and familiar rhythm oh. It was ok but accept she missed the line. Better she had even ommited it.
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by Kbs468(m): 6:46pm On Oct 28, 2015
IlekeHD:

If you can't recite a poem, you don't know the poem.

What if you interchanged only two words by placing the 2nd b4 the 1st? Does that mean you dont know it too?
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by jelal007(m): 7:19pm On Oct 28, 2015
OVI75:
Aside Ocholi and kachikwu's sterling performances,most of the ministerial designate were below par especially those almajiris.
Buffoon,did fashola,Dambazzau et al flop as well? Mumu
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by BlueMurder(m): 7:30pm On Oct 28, 2015
It is clear that lots of persons who rushed to criticize Zainab Ahmed for mixing up a line of the National Pledge did not watch her presentation yesterday. I think she did brilliantly well. And for those who don't know, she's the head of NEITI!
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by hinwazaka: 7:36pm On Oct 28, 2015
BlueMurder:
It is clear that lots of persons who rushed to criticize Zainab Ahmed for mixing up a line of the National Pledge did not watch her presentation yesterday. I think she did brilliantly well. And for those who don't know, she's the head of NEITI!
HO2 is not the same thing as H2O. She missed it, fact!
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by hinwazaka: 7:40pm On Oct 28, 2015
jelal007:
Buffoon,did fashola,Dambazzau et al flop as well? Mumu
So to you the " I did not sign any cheques" was an A. Fashola flopped, terribly, Dambazzau was so afraid of answering questions you could literary see him wetting his pants. He could not even keep eye contact with the senators. Give him a gun and he will become Rambo, but to answer simple questions, the poor man started sweating like a tap.
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by okomogo(m): 8:00pm On Oct 28, 2015
ExInferis:

i dont hold brief for the nominee and i certainly cannot stand El Rufai, but i dont think its that big of a deal that she cant properly say the pledge.

Most of the senators and governors cant either, but it in no way diminishes one's ability to serve or be productive.

We Nigerians put too much stock in paper certificates and insignificant details rather than capacities and abilities.

How can you be a good son if you don't know your father's name, let's be honest, what is bab is bad.
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by banio: 8:00pm On Oct 28, 2015
It's possible to forget the national anthem and the pledge. But this is a common question that every ministerial nominee shud have prepared for. They have been asking this question since 1999 and nominees have been failing it
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by Jhappy(f): 8:54pm On Oct 28, 2015
This could happen to any body
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by Tamakay(m): 8:59pm On Oct 28, 2015
To be frank the guy performed poorly. At first he was kind of unserious until Akpabio talk sense to him to behave like a man fit to be a minister.

1 Like

Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by Izunwa(m): 9:21pm On Oct 28, 2015
Oga Uguru!!! Do you know the meaning of UGURU in Igbo dialect . It means HARMATTAN undecided and that's exactly what you are going to feel in the nearest future tongue. Onu ugba cheesy
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by cardoctor(m): 12:31am On Oct 29, 2015
ok
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by manutdadex(m): 1:48am On Oct 29, 2015
Chiaka:
WHICH WAY NIGERIA
HMN!
Another ministerial nominee, Mrs Zainab Ahmed, who was only picked simply for being the foster sister of the Kaduna state Govenor, Mallam Nasir El Rufai, shamefully missed one of the lines of the national pledge, after she was asked to recite it to show her patriotism
what do u xpect, when bubu self forget party name.. Alll progressive confidential... Lolz.... Deadbrain#

2 Likes

Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by xage(m): 4:55am On Oct 29, 2015
OVI75:
Aside Ocholi and kachikwu's sterling performances,most of the ministerial designate were below par especially those almajiris.

How many educated Nigerians could still remember national anthem? You sound like an unhealable pshychopant and and a serial hater..Almajiris are better of a dunce like u sir
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by bashydemy(m): 7:01am On Oct 29, 2015
OVI75:
hahaha see hatred oooo, How about Fayemi, Fashola, Ameachi, Isaac Adewole, Dambazau etc those people are motivational speaker, They come to Lecture them at the red chamber..

Remember Ameach said this is the first time he will be addressing them..
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by jelal007(m): 7:16am On Oct 29, 2015
hinwazaka:

So to you the " I did not sign any cheques" was an A. Fashola flopped, terribly, Dambazzau was so afraid of answering questions you could literary see him wetting his pants. He could not even keep eye contact with the senators. Give him a gun and he will become Rambo, but to answer simple questions, the poor man started sweating like a tap.
From the way u criticise,its obvious the best u do is just make noise,full of hate speech. Grow up.
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by sirTesco(m): 11:03am On Oct 29, 2015
Lovexme:

Thank you, Sir. On this thread, I'll stick to mine smiley
Education is all about knowing what u never knew. Be teachable my dear.
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by Lovexme(m): 11:09am On Oct 29, 2015
sirTesco:

Education is all about knowing what u never knew. Be teachable my dear.

Don't get me wrong. I did learn. Thanks smiley
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by Chiaka(f): 12:54pm On Oct 29, 2015
Agree, the pledge is like a companies motto;
Some job candidates have lost not shortlisted for not been able to know the motto of the company where they applied or what they stand for.
For a national leader my dear he/she has to, we take a lot of things for granted that's why the country has remained like it is.

ExInferis:

I see your point..but still....

It still shoudnt be a prerequisite for service. Are you saying some of the soldiers daily sacrificing their lives in the North East are not worthy for service on account of not knowing the pledge or the anthem?

There's a bunch of public servants who know the pledge, the anthem, and even the constitution but still have not added any value to Nigeria.

I believe there are better questions for the senators to ask than recital of the pledge. I also believe there are better metrics for gauging suitability for the job than repeating the pledge.

A grasp of our problems and how to solve them with limited resources ought to over-ride whatever other flaws the nominee has over our nationalistic motifs.

Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by ExInferis(m): 1:13pm On Oct 29, 2015
Chiaka:

Agree, the pledge is like a companies motto;
Some job candidates have lost not shortlisted for not been able to know the motto of the company where they applied or what they stand for.
For a national leader my dear he/she has to, we take a lot of things for granted that's why the country has remained like it is.

This forms the fulcrum of my contention, and it seems like a good candidate for us both to approach some sort of equilibrium on this.

Like i said before, using your company analogy, it's a silly idea to disqualify a candidate just because they dont know the company motto. That's a daft HR policy. You dont hire people to recite and regurgitate your motto, you hire them to add value to your business based on their competence. A good HR looks beyond attire, speech, interviews etc, all things which can be mechanically practiced and crammed from that handbook "HOW TO ATTEND INTERVIEWS AND GET THE JOB" or whatever.

In the whole picture of making profits, a company motto (which is a mere motif no matter how you look at it) does not figure at all. Motifs are for marketing, and encapsulating visions in the blurbs of jackets and websites. So also a pledge, which is a symbolic act.

Symbolism should not take precedence over personal competence and abilities. Im not saying pledges are not good; just that they shouldnt form an overreaching criteria for selecting competent hands to move an idea forward.
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by Chiaka(f): 1:39pm On Oct 29, 2015
Not for long words...An elder states person ought to know what his/her country stands for. grin grin grin grin
ExInferis:

This forms the fulcrum of my contention, and it seems like a good candidate for us both to approach some sort of equilibrium on this.

Like i said before, using your company analogy, it's a silly idea to disqualify a candidate just because they dont know the company motto. That's a daft HR policy. You dont hire people to recite and regurgitate your motto, you hire them to add value to your business based on their competence. A good HR looks beyond attire, speech, interviews etc, all things which can be mechanically practiced and crammed from that handbook "HOW TO ATTEND INTERVIEWS AND GET THE JOB" or whatever.

In the whole picture of making profits, a company motto (which is a mere motif no matter how you look at it) does not figure at all. Motifs are for marketing, and encapsulating visions in the blurbs of jackets and websites. So also a pledge, which is a symbolic act.

Symbolism should not take precedence over personal competence and abilities. Im not saying pledges are not good; just that they shouldnt form an overreaching criteria for selecting competent hands to move an idea forward.

1 Like

Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by ExInferis(m): 2:08pm On Oct 29, 2015
Chiaka:
Not for long words...An elder states person ought to know what his/her country stands for. grin grin grin grin

Then you've no idea what the pledge is.

The pledge simply means swearing fealty. It does not show what the country stands for.
Re: 'God Forbid', Usani Uguru, Ministerial Nominee Apologizes After Saying That by Chiaka(f): 2:25pm On Oct 29, 2015
Well it at least spells out what Nigeria citizen should stand for..........so an elder states man is expected to be well abreast. Its no use trying to play down standards. These and many more are the reason Nigeria grew from an 11 years old about 40 years ago to 3 months old now grin grin grin
ExInferis:

Then you've no idea what the pledge is.

The pledge simply means swearing fealty. It does not show what the country stands for.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Successes Recorded In Operation 'lafiya Dole' From 17-22 Jan (graphic Pictures) / 30 Shoemakers From Abia Arrived China For Training (Photos) / Buhari Violates COVID-19 Law Signed By Him In Katsina - Sahara Reporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.