Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,507 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

Big Mistakes Nigerian Graduates Make! - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Big Mistakes Nigerian Graduates Make! (2794 Views)

A MUST READ – 5 Major Mistakes Graduates Make In Their First Job Interviews / NYSC Graduate Internship At General Electric For Nigerian Graduates 2017 / Fresh NYSC Graduates Make #100k Plus Monthly For The Next 4 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Big Mistakes Nigerian Graduates Make! by FirstS2B(f): 4:40pm On Oct 29, 2015
The current situation of high unemployment rate among Nigerian graduates has assumed an alarming dimension. A sizeable number of graduates are still roaming the streets, searching for jobs many years after graduation.
We are told that one of the reasons for this unpleasant situation is that graduates lack the skills needed by employers of labour! That means that the academic knowledge graduates come out with is no longer needed.
Another reason is that the number of graduates turned out yearly is more than can be absorbed by the labour market. Too many graduates chasing few job vacancies!
There are many other reasons we can't exhaust now but the fact is that nigerian graduates must find a way to free themselves from this trap.
I was unemployed for 5 years after graduation before I luckily picked up a teaching job in a private secondary school that paid me N4500. I changed to another one that offered me N6000 and was on a salary of N8000 by the time I resigned.
I am not a trained teacher and only took up the job to survive. I got another job as a marketer shortly after I left teaching. It was a computer assessories company and I was determined to do my best to market our company products with God on my side. My salary was N13,000. But there was a problem; the owner of the company wanted me to wear skimpy clothes that would expose my body in order to attract customers! I couldn't put up with this so I resigned on Day 3! I was back to square one.
To cut a long story short, I changed course and did something different that changed my story. Today, I'm no more an applicant!
That is what I want to share with you in a one day Free seminar titled:
3 Dangerous Trends Nigerian Graduates Face That Put Them In A Financial Hole & Ruin Their Future!
Date: Friday, 6th Nov, 2015
Venue: Suite 15, Olabo Shopping Complex, 5th Avenue, Gowon Estate, Egbeda.
Time: 10am-12 noon prompt
Re: Big Mistakes Nigerian Graduates Make! by Efisko1(m): 4:50pm On Oct 29, 2015
i was here

1 Like

Re: Big Mistakes Nigerian Graduates Make! by Niyeal(m): 5:08pm On Oct 29, 2015
So u want to market ur GNLD product abi?. Bad market for u.

1 Like

Re: Big Mistakes Nigerian Graduates Make! by FirstS2B(f): 5:37pm On Oct 29, 2015
Sorry Niveal, this has nothing to do with GNLD! Is that the only way out you know?
Re: Big Mistakes Nigerian Graduates Make! by shogat(m): 5:59pm On Oct 29, 2015
not interested
Re: Big Mistakes Nigerian Graduates Make! by FirstS2B(f): 8:50pm On Nov 22, 2015
A UNIQUE SOLUTION TO MASS GRADUATE UNEMPLOYMENT IN NIGERIA

Graduate unemployment has become an issue of national concern because of the threat it poses to the economy as well as causing retardation of the country's economic growth. Large numbers of graduates are turned out every year from the nation's tertiary institutions to join the already saturated labour market.

According to This Day Newspaper of 15 November, 2012, 60% of Nigerian graduates are unemployed. The Director General of the National Centre for Technological Management, Dr Willie Siyanbola was quoted in the same story as saying "There will be no solution to unemployment in the country unless all the graduates embark on entrepreneurship. It is the only solution to unemployment in Nigeria. There are over 4.5 million unemployed people in the country and I doubt if any government can cater for such number of people."

The government in recent times has embarked on various measures to solve the problem by providing skills acquisition centres to teach artisan skills to people including unemployed graduates. It is expected that this will help such graduates start businesses of their own thereafter and earn a living. The government has also made loans and grants available to aid young, enterprising graduates set up their businesses.

But I have a different view of the subject matter. The steps taken by the government seem to be a fire-brigade approach because it appears to be late for graduates to acquire skills or learn to do business after graduation. Most graduates finish school between ages 21-25 at their primes. At this time, graduates are ready to start living lives of their dreams; start earning, get married, start a family, take care of dependants or even go for further studies. It is not the time to start all over to look for a means of livelihood having spent all their lives in school preparing to earn after graduation.

The real solution is to incorporate entrepreneurship into every course on campus in order to prepare them to take the leap into business. In fact, they should be made to take on entrepreneurship projects while in school so as to have real life experience of the business world. They should start new businesses and also revive existing but ailing ones and nurture them back to health. All the while, these undergraduate entrepreneurs should be supervised by very successful business owners as mentors.

Working with and learning from successful business owners is the best way to learn the game of business as opposed to theoretical business lessons given by lecturers who have never run a business and have no idea what it takes to succeed in business.

The businesses embarked on by these undergraduate entrepreneurs can be about anything they choose based on their interests, passion, talents and abilities. There are courses in tertiary institutions that have to do with artisan skills like dress making, furniture making, bag making, decorating, shoe making, culinary classes, interior designing etc. Undergraduates in these areas should be made to set up businesses selling goods and services in these skills both as start ups as well as growing businesses selling same. Their mentors should give them necessary business know-how to succeed.

Other courses like medicine, accounting, engineering, ICT, architecture, education, law etc should be tailored towards entrepreneurship so that graduates are not necessarily looking for employment after graduation but are able to establish their training as businesses such as private hospitals, private schools, engineering firms, architectural firms, accounting firms etc

The business projects thus embarked upon by undergraduates while in school allow them to test the waters of the business world and evaluate their business knowledge. Some of the businesses started will definitely succeed, allowing their owners to start earning while still in school. These successful undergraduate entrepreneurs can decide to keep running their businesses and studying or even drop out of school to face their businesses full time like Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs etc. Such successful businesses could be kept by their owners for as long as they please or sold for a nice chunk of cash to start another.
Undergraduates whose businesses might not have succeeded have the opportunity of learning from their mistakes and even from their successful colleagues and move on.

Two or more undergraduates with different skill sets needed for business can partner to run and build a business together which is a different kind of business structure than sole proprietorship.
With this kind of background and preparation, student entrepreneurs become used to the world, language and game of business. They are already making money, hiring and firing staff, and all other duties of business. They will most likely continue in business after graduation rather than applying for jobs!
This will drastically reduce the number of graduates looking for employment after school. The Nigerian economy will be revived and crime rates reduced.

The idea of encouraging graduates who know nothing about the business world and who have been programmed all their lives to be employees to become entrepreneurs suddenly after graduation will just not cut it. It is a sort of set-back for graduates at such a time to start learning a skill when they are ready to earn. Provision of loans or even grants to start businesses they were never prepared for is sheer waste of resources.
Let the Nigerian government get it right and prepare our undergraduates to become successful entrepreneurs while they are still in school instead of after graduation. Let the entrepreneurial spirit be ingrained into students from school and entrepreneurship built into all courses on campus as much as possible. This will make graduates come out as job providers and not job seekers. A stitch on time saves nine, so the adage goes.

1 Like

Re: Big Mistakes Nigerian Graduates Make! by palladin: 10:16pm On Nov 23, 2015
Reading......

Re: Big Mistakes Nigerian Graduates Make! by FirstS2B(f): 5:02pm On Nov 24, 2015
LET’S SLAY THIS MONSTER CALLED
‘UNEMPLOYMENT’AMONG NIGERIAN GRADUATES!
It is no longer news that unemployment rate in our country and other countries around the world is so high and alarming. Yet so many graduates still believe they must enter the job market and keep increasing the already too high rate of unemployment. Such graduates think that they were meant for the labour market and have been prepared for just that by the school system. But things are changing and you’ve got to adapt to the trends!
Nowadays, graduates have to think of ways of contributing to the economy and not how to take from it.
Some other graduates erroneously think that some kinds of trades or businesses are for uninformed or lay people! The fact is if you take an ordinary business and do it in an extraordinary way, it becomes big business!
You simply need to get yourself prepared for a new way of looking at things.
This article will show you how to go from where you are right now –that is from being an applicant or job seeker to becoming a successful business owner and invariably, an employer of labour.
Far too many people are leaving their destinies in the hands of others whom they expect should give them jobs, leading to disappointment when the jobs are not forthcoming. The number of job seekers is simply more than the labour market can cope with!
The earlier graduates wake up to this reality, the better!
You can start a business and quickly turn it into a powerhouse, depending on the level of your business building expertise. It doesn’t have to take ages to build a successful business.
You simply need to change your orientation and mindset of becoming an employee to that of becoming a successful business owner.
You can achieve whatever you are able to conceive in your mind’s eye.
And of course the business you start does not have to be related to what you studied in college.
When I came out of college, I had the same mindset of getting a job but that was not to be for many years. I started to discover my creative talents while waiting at home. I learned how to use the sewing machine to make things and before long, I was in business. The first creative talent I discovered and tapped into was bag making. Without anyone teaching me how, I would just look at an already made bag and know how to cut and make my own sample!
I started producing and selling school children’s back packs in various sizes, travelling bags, diaper bags, shopping bags, fashion bags etc.
Later, I developed interest in Interior Designs. I got training on how to do interiors professionally and became an interior designer. That was when I floated my very first business called Stunning interiors.
I organized and held public training seminars on Soft Furnishings and trained a number of attendees on how to produce such items as curtains, tie-backs, various styles of top treatments, handmade rugs and throw pillows.
Till date, I still train people on Interior Designs plus I now run an entrepreneurial centre that trains people on various skills such as: Events Decoration, Bag Making, Fashion Design, Catering, etc.
Some of my alumni now have businesses of their own. It is important to note that the business I do today has no bearing with what I read In College! I got a teaching job after about 6years of graduation where I taught some subjects related to my course of study. It was struggling all along because the subjects did not agree with my natural abilities. I resigned
after 2years.
My mindset and orientation started changing when I read Robert Kiyosaki’s Rich Dad, Poor Dad; Retire Young, Retire Rich. I started to imbibe the business person’s mindset while discarding my employee mentality.
There are many advantages you get to enjoy when you own build a business empire instead of being in paid employment.
* A business gives you the freedom to do what you want to do like travelling, spending time with your family and going out with friends.
* A business makes you financially free so you no longer have to worry and you can do and buy what you want without
having to think about it.
* A business makes you feel certain and in control of
your future.
* A business allows you to spend your time working
on things that you are interested in and passionate
about.
* A business shows the world what you are capable
of and makes you proud.
A job will do the exact opposite of these to you- meaning you are not in control of your future, you don’t spend your time working on only things that interest you and that you are passionate about and you can’t do or buy what you want all the time.
The proper place to start a business is to make a list of the things you enjoy and like to do. What are your passion, skills, talents, experiences? Write them down and focus on the major one(s) that give you the most joy or pleasure and that you do effortlessly like fun.
This will ensure that your business plays to your strength so you are having fun while working and easily do great work.
A business that plays to your strength will sustain your interest in it for a long time. It will also enable you beat your competitors hands down because they won’t be able to beat you at your game.
Many people have the misconception that money is the first thing you need to have to start a business and this idea is not true.
I recently encountered someone who shared his story. His story vividly illustrates the fact that money is not the first thing to start a business.
He had a friend who suddenly went from being penniless to becoming quite wealthy within a very short period of time. My friend was curious to know his friend’s secret.
His friend told him that the secret is to find something that interests you and become an expert in it! For some reason, this rich friend of my friend’s became interested in turquoise and went from knowing nothing to becoming quite knowledgeable about the gem, the various sources, the market and the players.
One thing led to another, opportunities presented themselves and before long, this friend became suddenly rich.
When my friend started his first business, whichwas an ice cream company, he had no money, no business experience, and absolutely no idea how to make ice cream. Five years later, his ice cream was judged to be the best in America by People Magazine!
What drove the growth of his business was the growth of his knowledge of ice cream. And what drove the growth of his knowledge of ice cream was his love for the stuff.
So, when you start a business, what must lead the way should be your own love for whatever it is you want to do. Loving what you do miraculously attracts all the necessary resources, people and
opportunities. You definitely don’t need money to start. Bootstrapping will stimulate your creativity.
Many wantpreneurs are asking “How do I start a business without capital?”
Lack of capital is not an excuse for not taking charge of your destiny. You can very well start a business without money by starting a Service Business. A service business is one that sells services directly to consumers or other businesses.
When you sell a service, you’re selling an intangible idea rather than a product. Examples of service businesses are:
*Dry Cleaning Pick-up & delivery
*Tutoring
*Business Plan Consulting
*Business Travel Management
*Specialized Staffing
*Book keeping
* Computer Repair
*Referral Service
*Video Brochure
*Computer Consulting
*Language Translation
*Office Support Service
*Seminar Promotion
*Public Relations Agency
*Copywriting & Proofreading
*Home Decorating
*Website Designer
*Computer Training for kids
*Photography
*Event Planning
In all of these examples, you provide people with a service and not a product.
So, who can sell a service? The answer is ‘anyone’ because we all have skills, knowledge or experience that other people are willing to pay for in the form of a service or they are willing to pay you to teach them.
The question is “what skills do you have that can be sold as a service? Any skills you have can be your best and most marketable asset. If you know how to play the piano, this is a skill other people willpay you to teach them. If you know how to build websites or market goods and services online, others are willing to pay you to render them that service. However, most people tend to underestimate or discount the true value of their skill sets and experiences thinking that other people can as well do what they do. This is not true because what easily comes to you does not come as easy to others.
Another way to start your business without capital is to partner with someone who has cash. You have the business skills and know how while he provides the financing.
If you have a knack for online business you can do with little or no money, you can consider the following:
*Writing
There are a number of sites that will pay for your articles or blog posts. Sites like Helium and Associated Content will pay for your articles or posts based on performance in terms of page views for anything you want to write about.
*Start A Blog of Your Own
You can easily set up a blog of your own in less than five minutes at Blogger without any prior idea of web design. They even went on to automate setting up Google Adsense so you can make money off your blog by displaying ads and getting paid when people click on the ads.
You can further make money from your blog by setting up affiliate programs for books, music, software etc and insert your affiliate links whenever you refer to those items.
Since you’ll need to get a lot of traffic to make six figures as a blogger, you must pick interesting topics, write well and tell your friends about your new business. You’ll be in for a successful
business in no time.
*Create Topical Resource Hubs
If you’re an expert on any particular niche topic, then you can put together an overview of the topic and assemble the best resources on the topic from the web and create topical hubs and be paid. Sites like Google Knol , Squidoo and Hubpages are very good examples.
Payments are based on a combination of ad revenue and affiliate fees. These sites have built-in supply of traffic and tools to
make it easy for you to create content.
*Advertising Other Peoples’ Products
If you already have a website or a blog, seek out vendors that offer related but non-competing products and see if they have an affiliate program. It
is advisable to stick to familiar products and brands
because they are easier to sell.
There are different ways to promote these products:
-Creating a dedicated sales page or website to
promote a particular product
-Place simple text or graphical ads in appropriate
places on your site.
-Include links to purchase products you recommend in a blog, a discussion forum or mailings to your list.
*Produce Your Own E-Books
If you enjoy writing, you may want to produce and sell your own e-books on your website. You do not need any software to get this done. You can assemble your e-book in Microsoft Word and then upload it to Adobe Acrobat and sell it as a PDF file. If you are experienced with Adobe Acrobat, you can also format it from the start as a PDF file. An e-book can be about any subject, anything that you have knowledge of can become an e-book.
Re: Big Mistakes Nigerian Graduates Make! by FirstS2B(f): 10:12am On Nov 25, 2015
Change Your Context!
The age-long mentality of "go to school, get good grades and get a good job" is still been followed and believed strictly by many today. This is the reason many university and college graduates still believe they can only make a decent living from a job! An unemployed graduate of Economics came to my business school to make enquiries about acquiring a business skill. She's been trying to get a job for some time now without success. In the course of our discussion , I told her she wouldn't need a job anymore after completing her training coupled with the business building coaching program and setting up her own business. To my surprise, she could not agree with me that she doesn't need a job. She wanted to get the business skill and still keep looking for a job. As soon as she gets one, she would start on her job! Try as I did, she found it difficult to see herself as an employer of labour in her new business rather than depending on a paycheck and leaving her future in the hands of others. This barrier must be broken if we must overcome the problem of unemployment as a nation! If there are no risk-takers and those with the entrepreneurial spirit, where will people ever depending on jobs get them? The reason for mass unemployment is because of the huge disparity between entrepreneurs or job providers and job seekers! Entrepreneurs are too few! Majority of the population prefer to "play safe" and take no risks of starting businesses. There are those who think that college graduates must only work at white collar jobs. This is a very wrong notion and should be corrected. Such graduates wouldn't mind being employed in companies owned by school drop-outs who couldn't wait to finish school before exploring their dreams of setting up mighty business empires! People like Bill Gates of Microsoft and Honda are examples of such dropouts but with mighty business empires simply because of their dreams and drives. University graduates are not meant to be slaves, trading away time and effort for some stinking paychecks month in, month out! If anything, they should be in the fore-front of solving economic problems such as unemployment and poverty instead of hiding under the refuge provided by other 'daring' people not as knowledgeable! Acquire the entrepreneurial drive today and help solve the nation's economic challenges! Yes, you can do it!
Re: Big Mistakes Nigerian Graduates Make! by FirstS2B(f): 5:50pm On Nov 29, 2015
Why Am I Still Unemployed?

Well, because you either lack the entrepreneurial drive or unwilling to unleash it!
Entrepreneurs are huge risk takers, problem solvers, economy drivers, job creators, and of course they are the hope of the people!
Without entrepreneurs, the future will be so bleak because the hope of college graduates, school leavers, and the labour force in general of leading decent lives with a good job will be dashed!
Many go to school to earn degrees qualifying them to become employees but very few ever think of becoming job creators to employ others!
Definitely, the ratio of 'employees-to-be' versus 'employers-to-be' is so imbalanced and is the reason many are suffering from the unemployment saga
today.
Come to think of it- where would you rather be? In the camp of 'employees-to-be' or 'employers-to-be'?
Afterall, all it takes to be an employer is the entrepreneurial drive coupled with the right knowledge of how successful businesses are run!
Since everyone has at least a talent, it means we all have something unique to us with which we can start a thriving business.
Many people who are successful in business today started dreaming about their business early and had ample time to process it.
If you are not an early starter, you can still make it big in business if you address yourself to it and go all out!
Start by finding the seed of your future business which is your talent coupled with your skills, training and experiences.
Look for a good niche where your strength will fits in, get a successful business coach to mentor you and start your own empire that will benefit not only you
but many others!
Your feedback is very important to us. Post them
Re: Big Mistakes Nigerian Graduates Make! by Nobody: 7:29am On Nov 30, 2015
my dear, I tink ur cursed. teaching jobs r d easiest jobs u can gt.I bin tink say u wan say after 5 yrs u got a big job, e cum b teaching

(1) (Reply)

Batch B Stream 2, Cross Rivers Lets Meet Here / ABIA State: NYSC Batch B'15 Stream 2 / Ohanaeze Condemns Army Officer’s Dehumanization Of NYSC Member

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.