Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,034 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Tribute To The Edo People - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribute To The Edo People (453 Views)

Kindness Okpe, 22-Year-Old SSA To Obaseki, The Edo State Governor (Photos) / Ize-Iyamu's Message To Edo Residents After The Edo Election (pic, Video) / Who Are The Edo People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribute To The Edo People by spanishkid(m): 6:29pm On Oct 29, 2015
Edo or Bini is the name for the place, people and language of an ethnic group in Nigeria. Other Edo-speaking ethnic groups include the Esan, the Afemai, the Owan among others. The Edo are also referred to as "Bini" or as the "Benin ethnic group", though currently the people themselves prefer to be simply called "Edo". The Edo are the descendants of the people who founded the former Benin Empire, which was located in South/Mid-Western Nigeria, encompassing what is now the Edo State of Nigeria, as well as surrounding areas.

The name "Benin" is a Portuguese corruption, ultimately from the Itsekhiri's "Ubinu", which came into use during the reign of Oba Ewuare the Great, circa 1440. The Itsekhiri's "Ubinu" was used to describe the royal administrative centre or city or capital proper of the kingdom, Edo. 'Ubinu' was later corrupted to 'Bini' by the mixed ethnicities living together at the centre; and further corrupted to "Benin" around 1485 when the Portuguese began trade relations with Oba Ewuare.

1 Like

Re: Tribute To The Edo People by mmiftah(m): 6:31pm On Oct 29, 2015
"When I saw my "likes" I realise we (The Edos) are much here"

"Edo Kwe Nu"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tribute To The Edo People by spanishkid(m): 6:31pm On Oct 29, 2015
More pictures

1 Like

Re: Tribute To The Edo People by mmiftah(m): 6:37pm On Oct 29, 2015
spanishkid:
Edo or Bini is the name for the place, people and language of an ethnic group in Nigeria. Other Edo-speaking ethnic groups include the Esan, the Afemai, the Owan among others. The Edo are also referred to as "Bini" or as the "Benin ethnic group", though currently the people themselves prefer to be simply called "Edo". The Edo are the descendants of the people who founded the former Benin Empire, which was located in South/Mid-Western Nigeria, encompassing what is now the Edo State of Nigeria, as well as surrounding areas.

The name "Benin" is a Portuguese corruption, ultimately from the Itsekhiri's "Ubinu", which came into use during the reign of Oba Ewuare the Great, circa 1440. The Itsekhiri's "Ubinu" was used to describe the royal administrative centre or city or capital proper of the kingdom, Edo. 'Ubinu' was later corrupted to 'Bini' by the mixed ethnicities living together at the centre; and further corrupted to "Benin" around 1485 when the Portuguese began trade relations with Oba Ewuare.
Lalasticlala
Re: Tribute To The Edo People by Shymm3x: 6:39pm On Oct 29, 2015
Extremely rich/beautiful culture and tradition, great history, and astonishing artworks. Great and talented people - Salute!

Oba Gha Tor kpere (I hope I got this right).

P.S: we need one for the Urhobos, so that I can give them a "megho" salute lol.

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Bonny People Are Igbo Subgroup / Kwara Lecturer Turns Labourer Over Non-payment Of Salary / Dear Zahra Buhari, Help The Youths Deliver This Message To Your Father, By Ephra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.