Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,102 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

Pythagorean Theorem: I Need Help (!!!) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pythagorean Theorem: I Need Help (!!!) (1928 Views)

My Theorem / Jacobian,eulers And Youngs Theorem / Prof. Gabriel Oyibo (GAGUT Theorem): Mad man or Genius (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pythagorean Theorem: I Need Help (!!!) by blackspade(m): 2:58am On May 08, 2009
In my class we're going over the pythagorean therom, I'm not totally lost, but I know if I don't do anything now, I'm not going to get an A on the test.

Okay, I know the basics like: a^2 + b^2 = c^2 . . . . but I get confused when I come across a question asking me to find the missing lengths (eg. solve for x), or even worse, the word problems.

Are there any good mathematicians who can help me a bit, please?
Re: Pythagorean Theorem: I Need Help (!!!) by biina: 4:35am On May 08, 2009
Pythagorean theorem essentially relates the lengths of the 3 sides of a right-angled triangle. The only question is which of the sides are a, b and c.
The two smaller sides are a and b (with the labels being interchangeable) and they are also the ones that come together to form the 90 degrees angle.
Side c is the longest side and is refered to as the hypotenuse. It is the side that is opposite the 90 degrees angle.

Can you give an example of the kind of questions you are having problems with?
Re: Pythagorean Theorem: I Need Help (!!!) by TayoD1(m): 1:39am On May 15, 2009
@Poster,

Yep! An example will go a long way in helping us understand the particular issues you are having.
Re: Pythagorean Theorem: I Need Help (!!!) by Nice4dbest(m): 5:19am On May 15, 2009
I am good at Mathematics but I'm not pontificating.
All is said by binna. Give an example and let me help u out.
Nice and intelligent presentation! Thank u
Re: Pythagorean Theorem: I Need Help (!!!) by Nice4dbest(m): 5:39am On May 15, 2009
Hey, Tayo-D,
I would like to make you a friend.
I think you should share/have same Xtian faith.
I love your quote.
thanks
Re: Pythagorean Theorem: I Need Help (!!!) by wazzihu(m): 3:13pm On May 15, 2009
It doesnt matter if its x.all the right angled triangled sides can be represented with any alphabet.just stay focus and know the opposite,adjacent and hypotenus.then u do ur thing.
Re: Pythagorean Theorem: I Need Help (!!!) by infogenius(m): 7:46pm On Aug 11, 2009
blackspade:

In my class we're going over the pythagorean therom, I'm not totally lost, but I know if I don't do anything now, I'm not going to get an A on the test.

Okay, I know the basics like: a^2 + b^2 = c^2 . . . . but I get confused when I come across a question asking me to find the missing lengths (eg. solve for x), or even worse, the word problems.

Are there any good mathematicians who can help me a bit, please?

Soln

a c

b

considering the right angled triangle above

Pythagoras theorem has it that
a*2 + b*2 = c*2

a = opp
b = adj
c = hyp

Then it is very easy to substitute any of the letters with
Other ones e.g.
You could have x,y,z
X = opp
Y = adj
Z = hyp

So finding missing length is very easy.
If a = 3 ,c = 5 find b
We know that a*2 + b*2 = c*2
Therefore b*2 = c*2 – a*2
So b = square root of c*2 – a*2
B = the square root of 5*2 - 3*2
B = the square root of 25 – 9 =16
B = square root of 16
B = 4
In a like manner you solve equation concerning right angled triangles

You can solve this type of problems with these simple steps.

Read the question.
Get a pictorial impression of the question.
I.e. draw the diagram
3. Identify which is the opp,adj and hyp from the question and label
Them accordingly.
With the general rule or formula a*2 + b*2 = c*2.Fill in the gaps.
Smash the problem. And get the answer.

Cheers.
Re: Pythagorean Theorem: I Need Help (!!!) by C2H5OH(f): 7:50pm On Aug 11, 2009
yeah
Re: Pythagorean Theorem: I Need Help (!!!) by nethacker(m): 10:13am On Aug 12, 2009
Let's see d question.perhaps it's a pythagrean identity question wink
Re: Pythagorean Theorem: I Need Help (!!!) by wizsultan: 10:32am On Aug 12, 2009
Where is the blackspade guy. He asked a question and disappeared
Re: Pythagorean Theorem: I Need Help (!!!) by Hanoobaba(m): 4:24pm On Aug 12, 2009
Some right angle triangles are also isoscelese i.e they have their two other angles equal to 45degrees each. And the opposite and adjacent can not be determined except you are given another angle apart from the right angle. Maybe the question are the ones that involve special angles i.e like 30, 45 and 60 degrees. Me self know maths small now

(1) (Reply)

Sugar Mummy, Respond! / . / ASUU Strike Update: Students Give Fg, ASUU 7-day Ultimatum To End Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.