Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,019 members, 7,818,022 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

Information On Botswana - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Information On Botswana (7439 Views)

Botswana(gaborone Capital City) In Pictures / I Need Botswana Visa / Is Botswana A Visa Free To Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Information On Botswana by scorpa: 7:06am On May 08, 2009
Hi,

I'll be relocating to botswana in the next four months and I really need some information about the place. Even though the few that I've read on the internet are quite encouraging but I still need information from someone that lives there. I would like to know the average cost of living there, accommodation, food, transport and other stuff on a monthly basis. I intend to stay in Gaborone. I'll be glad if anybody can help me with the information.
Re: Information On Botswana by Thadude(m): 6:37pm On May 09, 2009
Be careful with sex when you get there, a friend of mine who works as a doctor there informed me on the HIV situation in the country and how it has eaten up the place many of them are healthy HIV careers and they dont know. Also learnt salary level is very good. So if you have a wife, would advise you go with her or plan to bring her in on a later date ASAP, good luck.
If you must have sex do and extensive back to back HIV test with the opposite sex.
Re: Information On Botswana by scorpa: 2:10pm On May 10, 2009
Thanks so much Tha Dude for that. Do hav info about the standard of living there
Re: Information On Botswana by Thadude(m): 3:27pm On May 10, 2009
Nope!, dont have any info on that never been there either. But ur guess is as good as mine. A city rumbling in diamonds what else could be your guess?
Re: Information On Botswana by obigin43(m): 9:12am On May 12, 2009
scorpa pls can u kindly give info on hw to get botswana visa because i wanted to visit the country last year but i was told that their embassy is not in Nigeria , i will be looking forward to hear from anyone who has the knowledge.thnx
Re: Information On Botswana by morpheus24: 1:56pm On May 12, 2009
@ poster

Botswana is a fairly decent country to relocate to. They boast one of th highest GDP per capitas in Africa and their society is structured quite well.

the living standards are quite reasonable from what I observed there on my trip seeing that a lot of people "mostly whites from other parts of Africa" do move there to escape a lot situations going on around their neighbours i.e Zim and South Africa.

It would do you good to learn the local tshwana language and try to avoid explicitly mentioning your origins until people get to know you well enought as that part of the world has a high disregard for Nigerians and are stuck on stereotypes as well.

HIV is an issue as it is in any other country so be exteremly careful as Southern Africa bears the brunt of the highest infection rates.9 not trying to e negative just fact)

The people are quite civil and welcoming as well just be cordial to people, no Naija gra gra style hear.

The countries population is quite small so less stress and hustle and bustle life style.

All in all enjoy yourself. you picked a good country.

1 Like

Re: Information On Botswana by scorpa: 5:10pm On May 12, 2009
Thanks morpheus, I've been looking for ways to start learning setswana, and I also heard about how the feel about Nigerians. Believe me, I think they hate naija ppl. I have my goal to achieve so, I won't let that affect me so far I don't get myself involved in any illegitimate biz. I really appreciate your comment.
Re: Information On Botswana by morpheus24: 7:10pm On May 12, 2009
scorpa:

Thanks morpheus, I've been looking for ways to start learning setswana, and I also heard about how the feel about Nigerians. Believe me, I think they hate naija ppl. I have my goal to achieve so, I won't let that affect me so far I don't get myself involved in any illegitimate biz. I really appreciate your comment.

Just be yourself. People hate and fear what they cannot comprehend. Thats their problem and you shouldn't make it yours. If you are a good person people will be drawn to you regardless of where you are from.

Most Botswana's are very educated and civil. There are however floating stereotypes about Nigerians which is something you will experience almost anywhere we are known.

You will make a lot of friends guaranteed. Just watch yourself.
Re: Information On Botswana by eddy1977(m): 11:33am On May 15, 2009
morpheus thanks for providing those great insightful advices to our pal. i visited botswana a few years back and these are my recomendations: try to fly to jo'burgh first instead of travelling str8 to botsw.it will save u money.gaborone (bots'capitol) is only 4 hrs away from jo'burgh, so u will not be dissapointed.

secondly be respectful of women in botswana, i noticed that the society was ruled by women.
remember,other nigerians who travelled to southern africa years ago, shited everywhere,so our name is already bad; try to be a gentleman,proffesional and curteous.

botswana has the strongest economy in all of africa.

always have your legal paperworks clean and up to date. never overstay, you will be sorry.

none than that, breath in,smile and welcome to botswana.

1 Like

Re: Information On Botswana by shanda(m): 1:23pm On May 19, 2009
The country is one of the best in Africa, based on what I've read on the internet. As u've been adviced, be careful of bleeping batswana ladies, they are very promiscuous. Anyone that falls into ur hands, could be the one that'll infect u with AIDS. So go for thorough test before having contact with anyone. It's a nice place to be.
Re: Information On Botswana by eddy1977(m): 1:29pm On May 19, 2009
shanda:

The country is one of the best in Africa, based on what I read on the internet. As u've been adviced, be careful of bleeping batswana ladies, they are very promiscuous. Any falls into ur hands, could be the one that'll infect u with AIDS. So go for thorough test before having contact with anyone. It's a nice place to be.

LOL. good advice.
Re: Information On Botswana by morpheus24: 2:19pm On May 19, 2009
eddy1977:

LOL. good advice.

In regards to HIV and sexual activity, when I was there I didn't really mingle to much with the ladies however you do notice there is a more liberal mindset as far as sex is concerned in southern African as compared to Naija where is not openly flaunted.
Re: Information On Botswana by shanda(m): 5:23pm On May 19, 2009
Don't forget to visit some of their game reserves. I'm sure u've never seen wild animals before except on TV. But, u'll see them live over there. Be careful though, so that u don't get killed by one of the hungry lions cos I heard they prefer human flesh.
Re: Information On Botswana by RSA(m): 12:49pm On May 20, 2009
scorpa:

I think that could be my only contribution,I offer to teach you Setswana.My home language is Setswana.
Ask me to translate anything,
Re: Information On Botswana by scorpa: 7:11am On May 21, 2009
@ all
Thanks for the info.

@RSA
How do we start. I want to start learning it now. How do I contact u
Re: Information On Botswana by RSA(m): 7:59am On May 21, 2009
scorpa:

@ all
Thanks for the info.

@RSA
How do we start. I want to start learning it now. How do I contact u

You can ask me questions right here,I will translate them.

First lets start with the greetings.

Hello-Dumela
When greeting more than one person-Dumelang
They will probably ask you 'how are you?' which is O kae?
You will respond by saying Ke teng which means I am fine/Ok/here.

Ask me words or sentences you want to be translated.
Re: Information On Botswana by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jul 03, 2009
@ Poster,

Never been to Botswana, but I know for a fact that Gaborone is flooded with many Kenyans. Every other Kenyan is rushing down there, so I know there must be some sort of gold mine. . . Lol. I've gathered that the Botswana government is strict with migration rules and papers. Have good, clean, straight papers. . . . deportation is the consequence of illegality over there.

Two, and perhaps the most important thing you should avoid doing is f***king those Botswana girls. They are HIV personified. In fact, every other girl has ARV drugs in her purse/handbag. If you must engage in sex, do it with non-Botswanians or non-South Africans and use protection bro.
Re: Information On Botswana by goodguy100(m): 8:38pm On Jul 03, 2009
Botswana and SA, for me are the same cus the rate of HIV over there is nothing to talk about, u just be careful.
Re: Information On Botswana by scorpa: 9:31pm On Jul 03, 2009
Thanks Guys. The advice I get from most people is to avoid sex with batswana ladies. The truth is that, I'm not in a relationship now and I don't intend to start one until I get there. Can't one get a clean girl out there, be it south african or motswana Ain't there good girls free from HIV among them
Re: Information On Botswana by morpheus24: 2:25pm On Jul 06, 2009
scorpa:

Thanks Guys. The advice I get from most people is to avoid sex with batswana ladies. The truth is that, I'm not in a relationship now and I don't intend to start one until I get there. Can't one get a clean girl out there, be it south african or motswana Ain't there good girls free from HIV among them

Scorpa

No one is saying do not mingle with ladies from Botswana, just be aware of the the issues concerning HIV and AIDS. Again the country is quite liberal when it comes to sexual matters so like my friend used to say . "If you can't be good then be safe". Make sure you use protection EVERY SINGLE time you engage in any sexual activity. Like naija says "dem no dey write HIV for person face"

There are good women everywhere and you should know the type of people you attract. The population is not that large so this factors in to how careful you should be andt he society si more of a matrinlineal heritage so take note of how you approach the ladies.

Don't be scared just be yourself.

1 Like

Re: Information On Botswana by Bobbyaf(m): 5:53pm On Jun 23, 2010
Well, I have thought about going to spend some time in Botswana myself so I am thankful for the information so far. Have quite a few friends in Jamaica from Botswana who are studying here. They seem to be disciplined and courteous.

I am also trying to learn the language.
Re: Information On Botswana by kenlala: 9:35pm On Jun 23, 2010
pls house,how can one obtain botswana visa?

1 Like

Re: Information On Botswana by obalukan: 1:58pm On Jun 24, 2010
Thanks for you contribution i really have intrst in moving to bostwana can any body tell me how to get there visa
Re: Information On Botswana by niceguy10: 10:05pm On Jun 25, 2010
Botswana visa may be hard to get, your best bit is to get a south african visa from here you can get your self to Botswana.
Re: Information On Botswana by Nobody: 3:16am On Oct 25, 2014
Re: Information On Botswana by stellah911(f): 11:29am On Oct 27, 2014
my country Botswana is a lovely country, law and order works here, HIV is a problem of every country
Re: Information On Botswana by harmony940(m): 1:40pm On Oct 27, 2014
thanks for the info Stella,I am a Nigerian and will like come work in your country....I am a graduate of English Languag.....I will love to hear from u soonest...
Re: Information On Botswana by lawrsmith(m): 11:25pm On Nov 19, 2014
stellah911:
my country Botswana is a lovely country, law and order works here, HIV is a problem of every country
hi saw ur message
Re: Information On Botswana by omakay(m): 7:56pm On Nov 23, 2014
Please, i will need information as regards applying for a degree in any of the universities there.

ANy information will be greatly appreciated no matter how small
Re: Information On Botswana by chimaamaechi17: 11:07am On Jan 25, 2015
@stella, hw ar u? I intend doing my masters programme in Botswana, hw do l go abt it?

(1) (Reply)

Inside Morrocco / Advise For People That Want Leave Nigeria / Uk Visa Application And Renewal (the New System)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.