Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,801 members, 7,827,950 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

Nigeria Produced US$16 Billion Worth Of Cassava In 2013 But Consumed 90 Percent - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Produced US$16 Billion Worth Of Cassava In 2013 But Consumed 90 Percent (1813 Views)

Why 90 Percent Of Southerners Are Tired Of Buhari's Government / Mustapha Audu & His Wife Were In Court In 2013 Over N18m Scam (Photos) / We Stand By Our Story On El-Rufai’s N90 Billion Worth - The Union Editor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Produced US$16 Billion Worth Of Cassava In 2013 But Consumed 90 Percent by Orikinla(m): 10:01pm On Oct 29, 2015
Nigeria Produces US$16 billion Worth of cassava in 2013 but Exported only
ABIDJAN, Côte d'Ivoire, 28 October 2015 / PRN Africa / -- The office of the Special Envoy on Gender (SEOG) and the Department for Agriculture and Agro-industry (OSAN) of the African Development Bank (AfDB) commissioned a report, “Economic Empowerment of African Women through Equitable Participation in Agricultural Value Chains”. The study, which was launched in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire, in August 2015, identifies opportunities for women in four subsectors including cocoa, coffee, cotton and cassava sectors in Côte d'Ivoire, Ethiopia, Burkina Faso and Nigeria, respectively.
According to the report, Nigeria represents Africa's top producer of cassava with 53 million tons in 2013 – about 20% of global cassava (approximately USD 16 billion in value); however, the country only exported USD 1 million worth of the staple. The global production of cassava was valued at USD 51 billion in 2013 – the highest production value (USD 35 billion) of the four sub-sectors featured in the report, but signifying the lowest export value (approximately USD 1-2 million).

“Nigeria is the largest producer of cassava in the world, but that doesn't mean anything if we don't lift women out of poverty. I want us to be the largest processor of cassava in the world as well, and this can be done by adding value to our products and moving women up the value chain,” said Akinwumi Adesina, President of the African Development Bank.

- See more at: http://www.nigeriansreport.com/2015/10/afdb-unveils-plan-to-empower-nigerian.html#sthash.G7seBrDd.dpuf

Photo Credit: Agro Nigeria.

Re: Nigeria Produced US$16 Billion Worth Of Cassava In 2013 But Consumed 90 Percent by Nobody: 10:03pm On Oct 29, 2015
Nigeria is yet to make much impact
on the global cassava market, since most of its
crop is consumed domestically.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Produced US$16 Billion Worth Of Cassava In 2013 But Consumed 90 Percent by Sibrah: 10:07pm On Oct 29, 2015
Wow! We eat that much? At least it helps keep our scarce Naira within the economy. We need to replace christmas rice with 'christmas eba' this year.
Don't know why Buhari can't utilize Akinwunmi Adesina further, he appears to tick all the boxes of a good technocrat that can impact Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Produced US$16 Billion Worth Of Cassava In 2013 But Consumed 90 Percent by Idrismusty97(m): 10:08pm On Oct 29, 2015
“Nigeria is the largest producer of cassava in the world, but that doesn't mean anything if we don't lift women out of poverty. I want us to be the largest processor of cassava in the world as well, and this can be done by adding value to our products and moving women up the value chain,” said Akinwumi Adesina, President of the African Development Bank.

So? We shouldn't eat again, must everything be exported. Nigeria would have been better if we focus first on our domestic consumption. I don't know what is the correlation between women and cassava. Women empowerment and Cassava are two different topics smiley. I like the part of being the world largest processor of cassava as well, it doesn't make sense producing something when you can't processed it
Re: Nigeria Produced US$16 Billion Worth Of Cassava In 2013 But Consumed 90 Percent by Sibrah: 10:16pm On Oct 29, 2015
^^^Can a man fry garri? Hmm, answer me . . . Lol
Idrismusty97:

So? We shouldn't eat again, must everything be exported. Nigeria would have been better if we focus first on our domestic consumption. Japan has already overtaken us as the largest producer of Yam BTW, i don't know what is the correlation between women and cassava. Women empowerment and Cassava are two different topics smiley. I like the part of being the world largest processor of cassava as well, it doesn't make sense producing something when you can't processed it
If we focus on local consumption it amounts to aiming at maintaining economy stability like a stable Naira rate but exporting it brings economic growth(better Naira exchange rate).
Re: Nigeria Produced US$16 Billion Worth Of Cassava In 2013 But Consumed 90 Percent by BlackrulesDworld(m): 10:20pm On Oct 29, 2015
Ok
Re: Nigeria Produced US$16 Billion Worth Of Cassava In 2013 But Consumed 90 Percent by ikbnice(m): 10:21pm On Oct 29, 2015
why wont we consume 90% when the majority of the populace depend on garri for survival. Nd the rate at which the Oyos eat 'lafun' is quite alarming. Go to Ondo State, they consume 'pupuru' like there's no tomorrow.
the products of cassava are the cheapest food in the market

BOTTOM LINE: If poverty still exists in Nigeria, a single tuber of cassava won't be exported in the nearest future.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Produced US$16 Billion Worth Of Cassava In 2013 But Consumed 90 Percent by Judeoxide(m): 10:22pm On Oct 29, 2015
But I was thinking this is good news now...russia produce and consume their whole oil..they are not even among OPEC what's wrong with us producing and consuming our own products Nothing will ever be ok for us..SMH

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Produced US$16 Billion Worth Of Cassava In 2013 But Consumed 90 Percent by Realdeals(m): 10:25pm On Oct 29, 2015
Must we die of hunger because we want to feed the world? The same thought that makes us a top exporters of crude oil and top importer of its refined products.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Produced US$16 Billion Worth Of Cassava In 2013 But Consumed 90 Percent by kokoA(m): 10:25pm On Oct 29, 2015
B4 nkor! No be person wey don chop belefull dey think of him friend wey never chop?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Produced US$16 Billion Worth Of Cassava In 2013 But Consumed 90 Percent by Idrismusty97(m): 10:26pm On Oct 29, 2015
Sibrah:
^^^Can a man fry garri? Hmm, answer me.
A man does everything better than a woman, even up to the women makeups, Fashion etc Men does it better. The best chefs in the world are also males. I support women empowerment BTW, but mixing it with Cassava processing just doesn't seem right.
Re: Nigeria Produced US$16 Billion Worth Of Cassava In 2013 But Consumed 90 Percent by Idrismusty97(m): 10:31pm On Oct 29, 2015
Sibrah:
^^^Can a man fry garri? Hmm, answer me . . . Lol If we focus on local consumption it amounts to aiming at maintaining economy stability like a stable Naira rate but exporting it brings economic growth(better Naira exchange rate).
What has exporting more than 90% of our crude oil done to the Naira?
Re: Nigeria Produced US$16 Billion Worth Of Cassava In 2013 But Consumed 90 Percent by Sibrah: 10:58pm On Oct 29, 2015
Idrismusty97:
What has exporting more than 90% of our crude oil done to the Naira?
Since we end up spending most of it on foreign produces (rice, fabrics etc)it has slipped out of our hands but if we focus on local produces then the money gotten from 90% oil sales will stay in our economy longer and help it.
Re: Nigeria Produced US$16 Billion Worth Of Cassava In 2013 But Consumed 90 Percent by mikolo80: 12:44am On Oct 30, 2015
Idrismusty97:

So? We shouldn't eat again, must everything be exported. Nigeria would have been better if we focus first on our domestic consumption. I don't know what is the correlation between women and cassava. Women empowerment and Cassava are two different topics smiley. I like the part of being the world largest processor of cassava as well, it doesn't make sense producing something when you can't processed it
we process into garri and fufu
Re: Nigeria Produced US$16 Billion Worth Of Cassava In 2013 But Consumed 90 Percent by Orikinla(m): 1:06pm On Oct 30, 2015
We waste a lot of cassava, because of lack of modern processors and storage.

(1) (Reply)

PHOTO: President Buhari's ADC Seen Sleeping On Duty At An ECOWAS Event / Rare Photo Of Buhari Inspecting NNPC Installations As Petroleum Minister In 1978 / Graphic: Photos From A Terrible Accident That Occurred At Aba Road, Abia State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.