Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today (15848 Views)

Tax Suit: Tension In Abia As Appeal Court Delivers Judgment Sept 23 / Akwa-Ibom: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment Wednesday / Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by ORACLE1975(m): 6:09am On Oct 30, 2015
The Abuja Division of the Court of Appeal will on Friday (today) decide on whether or not to quash the charges of false assets declaration preferred against Senate President Bukola Saraki before the Code of Conduct Tribunal.

Saraki had filed his appeal before the appellate court to challenge the competence of the charges filed against him and the constitution of the tribunal, which he said comprised two members instead of the three provided for by law.

The judgment of the Appeal Court was earlier scheduled to be delivered on October 19, but it was on that day adjourned indefinitely because it was said not to be ready.

Following that, the Justice Danladi Umar-led tribunal adjourned the trial of the Senate President which was due to commence on October 21, till November 5, to await the judgment of the Court of Appeal.

The judgment will effectively terminate the Senate President’s trial before the CCT if the Court of Appeal rules in his favour on Friday.

The Justice Moore Adumein-led panel of the appeal court had on October 16 heard the appeal. Fresh hearing notice for the delivering of the judgment was issued late on Thursday.

Respondents to the appeal are the CCT, the Code of Conduct Bureau, in whose name the charges were filed, the Federal Ministry of Justice and a lawyer in the ministry, Mr. Muslim Hassan.

At the hearing of the appeal, Saraki’s lead counsel, Mr. Joseph Daudu (SAN), urged the appellate court to “set aside the entire proceedings of the Code of Conduct Tribunal including the charges before it.”

He anchored his prayer on, among other grounds, that the CCT was not properly constituted to entertain the charges because it was made up of two judges instead of three provided for in Paragraph 15(1) of the Fifth Schedule to the constitution.

On that score, he argued that the Section 28 of the Interpretation Act relied upon by the respondents giving room for the tribunal to validly sit with its chairman and one other member, could not “water down” the provisions of the constitution.

He also argued that in the absence of the Attorney-General of the Federation no competent charges could be filed against his client.

He also contended that the CCB failed to confront his client with the allegation as a pre-condition for filing charges against him (Saraki).

But the respondents’ counsel, Mr. Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), urged the Appeal Court to dismiss the suit, on the grounds that it was based on “misconception and wrong interpretation of the law.”

He faulted Daudu’s prayer for the dismissal of the charge based on an alleged fact that the panel of the tribunal was not properly constituted.

On the issue of the tribunal not being properly constituted, Jacobs argued that two out of the three members of tribunal could validly the conduct proceedings by virtue of the provisions of Section 28 of the Interpretation Act recognised by the constitution in its section 308(4).

Source www.punchng.com/2015/10/2354

Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by Demmocrats(m): 6:09am On Oct 30, 2015
Saraki the snake

He has made a deal

The case will result to nothing.

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by Bishop4bella(m): 6:13am On Oct 30, 2015
Let's see if PDP senators will withdraw their support on him or not.
Can anything positive come out the judgment?

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by macolino(m): 6:32am On Oct 30, 2015
Believe me the case will die off now that saraki has cleared the ministers.Simple bargain,clear my ministers and I will close your case in PMB voice..

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by koboko69: 6:59am On Oct 30, 2015
Should this case be squashed it will be a big stain on the government of Buhari. This dust raised by the case is not something that should be overlooked.

It will send wrong signals to the international community and will definitely be a very delicious food in the mouth of the wailers.

And off course a string of thread will be created by a protection seeker who thinks Facebook is moderated by APC the was Lasticlala and Obinoscopy moderates Nairaland with supervision from seun.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by veekid(m): 6:59am On Oct 30, 2015
Okay

2 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by richyfunky(m): 7:00am On Oct 30, 2015
APC should let Saraki be, be has learnt his lesson
Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by Nobody: 7:01am On Oct 30, 2015
Must be found guilty.

Apcheat sinators are all corrupt.
Saraki u never shii shumtin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by Smartresult(f): 7:01am On Oct 30, 2015
Mja
Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by lordsharks(m): 7:01am On Oct 30, 2015
Let them clear him jor
Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by AYOdeji2102: 7:02am On Oct 30, 2015
Nigeria

Its always so easy to gain weight than to loose it.Let me show you how to loose 5-10kg in just 9 days!
Ask how....follow this trend for free tips...
https://www.nairaland.com/2427877/get-back-sexy-look-confidence#39247217
Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by stano2(m): 7:02am On Oct 30, 2015
Total Rubbish!!! from the start ..God have mercy on this country. Hope u guys are not expecting something different from this case??
Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by lordsharks(m): 7:02am On Oct 30, 2015
macolino:
Believe me the case will die off now that saraki has cleared the ministers.Simple bargain,clear my ministers and I will close your case in PMB voice..
Damn funny

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by iambabaG: 7:02am On Oct 30, 2015
We shuldnt expect any beta judgement.. Saraki don scratch PMB's back!! It's very sad dat d case will just die a natural death.

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by Codedb2: 7:03am On Oct 30, 2015
Saraki go and sin no more
Your sins have been forgiven
Welcome to the house of the #formerthieves. Buhari

3 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by justdivine: 7:04am On Oct 30, 2015
Go for it
Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by harrysterol(m): 7:04am On Oct 30, 2015
Of course we expect the appeal court to favour saraki after acting in accordance to his master's wish

Only in Nigeria such arrant Nonsense happens where the party at the Central controls everything including the judiciary

2 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by justdivine: 7:04am On Oct 30, 2015
U are too wicked.
Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by Isiterere(m): 7:05am On Oct 30, 2015
I have lost interest in this case. I just want to see the number of PDP senators that will follow Saraki to the tribunal today...

ALL IZZ WELL

6 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by Jorussia(m): 7:05am On Oct 30, 2015
.I believe its time pmb,tinubu and APC forgive Saraki.Saraki has been well curtailed enough by the onslaught from pmb,APC and tinubu.

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by Marvyx(m): 7:06am On Oct 30, 2015
macolino:

As simple as Abc.

PMB is no saint.
Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by Nobody: 7:06am On Oct 30, 2015
Dem should leave am joor
Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by Onlyhandsome(m): 7:07am On Oct 30, 2015
Saraki has paid d price by confirming Amaechi as a minister, so expect nothing from d ruling today.
Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by ichidodo: 7:07am On Oct 30, 2015
the best
Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by Nobody: 7:07am On Oct 30, 2015
This people are just playing politics with the masses. So after confirming amaechi, appeal court no longer adjourn indefinitely?

Although I am beginning to like Saraki but please the guy should return all the money he stole when he was a governor.

5 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by olaboy33(m): 7:07am On Oct 30, 2015
Wat else......in lai mohammed's voice '' the APC is now united''.......
Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by 5starmilitant: 7:08am On Oct 30, 2015
A
Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by Akosxxx(m): 7:09am On Oct 30, 2015
i don't even know what to coment sef undecided
Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by antithreatz(m): 7:09am On Oct 30, 2015
NIGERIAAAAAAAAAA!!! NINE-TO-JIRI-IYA..... nine wake up to see beaten (9jiriya)
Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by biafranqueen: 7:09am On Oct 30, 2015
APC leaders, members and sympathizers have all proven to be be baboon brainless buffoons.
They shouted thief thief but fought for corrupt Ministers.....
They said they wanted a new way of doing things but watched with zombie glee as PDP became APC...
They voted for CHANGE and it is for the worst, like a beautiful babe newly addicted to crack everything is falling apart day by day....
"sigh Boooohari" cry

2 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today by Billygee2u: 7:10am On Oct 30, 2015
ORACLE1975:

Source www.punchng.com/2015/10/2354
no body will be surprised of the out come.
Buharidullardinhobabaonechance should stop deceiving himself with corruption war chanting,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bayelsa Governorship: Heavy Shooting In Oporoma / Emir Of Daura Honours Orji Kalu With Highest Title In Buhari's Village (Photos) / Police Refuse To Release Melaye, Move To Arraign Him On Fresh Charges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.