Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,639 members, 7,809,400 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:54 AM

Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today (63458 Views)

Akwa-Ibom: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment Wednesday / Appeal Court Delivers Judgment In Saraki’s Case Today / Names Of The Supreme Court Justices That Struck Out Wike's Appeal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by ORACLE1975(m): 5:12am On Oct 27, 2015
The Supreme Court will on Tuesday deliver a judgment on whether or not the Rivers State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal which nullified the election of Governor Nyesom Wike on Saturday had the jurisdiction to hear the case against the governor.

The Justice Mohammed Ambrosa-led tribunal had on Saturday nullified Wike’s election as it upheld allegations by the All Progressives Congress and its governorship candidate, Dakuku Peterside, that the election which held on April 11, 2015 was conducted in substantial non-compliance with the Electoral Act.

But Saturday’s judgment would amount to nullity if the Supreme Court holds on Tuesday that the proceedings of the tribunal had been conducted without requisite jurisdiction.

Wike and his party, the Peoples Democratic Party, had in an appeal filed before the Supreme Court, challenged the jurisdiction of the tribunal on the grounds of its relocation from Port Harcourt, the capital of Rivers State, where the election took place, to Abuja.

The appellants argued that the tribunal lacked territorial jurisdiction to hear the petition by the APC and Peterside in Abuja.

Dissatisfied with the ruling of the tribunal which affirmed that its relocation to Abuja because of security concerns was in order, Wike had appealed to the Court of Appeal.

The governor, who lost the appeal at the Court of Appeal, took his appeal to the Supreme Court.

A panel of the Supreme Court led by Justice John Fabiyi, had on October 16, heard the appeal by Wike and adjourned till Tuesday for judgment.

President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Zainab Bulkachuwa, who exercises administrative powers on election petition tribunals in the country, had directed the relocation of the sittings of the tribunals in Rivers, Borno, Yobe, Adamawa and Taraba states to to Abuja due to security concerns in the states.

But Wike had contended that the tribunal lacked the territorial jurisdiction to hear the petition in Abuja.

Wike challenged the powers of the President of the Court of Appeal to order the tribunal’s relocation to Abuja.

The governor argued that the tribunal’s relocation to Abuja was in breach of Section 285 (2) of the Nigerian Constitution and the provisions of the Electoral Act 2010.

He urged the tribunal to relocate to Port Harcourt in compliance with provisions of the constitution and the Electoral Act.

The tribunal then led by Justice Mu’azu Pindiga, who later handed over to Justice Ambrosa, had in a ruling on July 27, 2015 dismissed Wike’s motion.

Justice Pindiga held that contrary to Wike’s argument, the tribunal had not violated any provision of the law since the relocation to Abuja was for security reasons.

The judge faulted Wike’s argument that proximity and accessibility were major determining factors in deciding the venue of a tribunal.

Justice Pindiga held that proximity and accessibility could not be determined in the absence of security for the tribunal members and litigants.

He said the President of the Appeal Court acted within the ambit of the law, which emphasises the need for a proper atmosphere for the tribunal to hold its proceedings.

He held that the tribunal had not violated any provision of the law since the relocation to Abuja was for security reasons.

Source: http://punchng.com/2015/10/1385

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by nairalandmaster(f): 5:12am On Oct 27, 2015
ok i have seen. what next smiley?

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by madridguy(m): 5:14am On Oct 27, 2015
Wike his already a gunner.

20 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by Nobody: 5:20am On Oct 27, 2015
The tribunal ought to have waited for the supreme court to rule today before passing Judgement.The way it stands Saturday's Judgement would become null and void should the supreme court rule that it has no jurisdiction to try the case in Abuja.

33 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by Pavore9: 5:25am On Oct 27, 2015
Awaiting the judgement.
Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by odinese(m): 5:34am On Oct 27, 2015
chukwudi44:
The tribunal ought to have waited for the supreme court to rule today before passing Judgement.The way it stands Saturday's Judgement would become null and void should the supreme court rule that it has no jurisdiction to try the case in Abuja.

This s#!t non of yr business! angry so stfu!!

16 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by Babzrockman: 5:40am On Oct 27, 2015
Wike should have accepted his faith and agree to re-run. Supreme court may remove him and place Dakuku as governor without any re-run. I hope he will not regret his appeal to d apex court.

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by ShowYourCertificate: 5:51am On Oct 27, 2015
Expectedly, the supreme court will rule in APC's favour. But the people of Rivers state will forever protect their mandate. Wike will win the elections even if Buhari himself is the INEC Chairman.

49 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by Olaolufred(m): 5:57am On Oct 27, 2015
chukwudi44:

[size=18pt] I commiserate with you in this tough season in your life.
Ndo.the lord will comfort you.[/size]

107 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by Agimor(m): 5:58am On Oct 27, 2015
I think is time add more insult to Wike injury.laughing in swahili.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by Nobody: 6:07am On Oct 27, 2015
odinese:

This s#!t non of yr business! angry so stfu!!

Oloribruku ode!! This is not osun state go back to your brown roof region.

10 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by Nobody: 6:09am On Oct 27, 2015
Olaolufred:

[size=18pt] I commiserate with you in this tough season in your life.
Ndo.the lord will comfort you.[/size]

Tough season ke? The last time I checked Wike is still the Governor of River state and Saraki is still the senate president!! Lolz You yoruba people never cease to amaze me!! Better go back and fous on your amala politics and leave easterners to discuss theirs!! Bloody slowpoke

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by bugzbunny: 6:13am On Oct 27, 2015
Wike will still win d re run............
Igbos dominate Rivers state

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by Olaolufred(m): 6:13am On Oct 27, 2015
chukwudi44:

Tough season ke? The last time I checked Wike is still the Governor of River state and Saraki is still the senate president!! Lolz You yoruba people never cease to amaze me!! Better go back and fous on your amala politics and leave easterners to discuss theirs!! Bloody slowpoke

[size=28pt]see wailing.
Pele. I know it pains[/size]

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

93 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by IVORY2009(m): 6:14am On Oct 27, 2015
chukwudi44:

chukwudi, dis early morning? Correct ur mistake "insult/tribal"

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by Nobody: 6:14am On Oct 27, 2015
Babzrockman:
Wike should have accepted his faith and agree to re-run. Supreme court may remove him and place Dakuku as governor without any re-run. I hope he will not regret his appeal to d apex court.

Lolz the way people display their ignorance online makes me laugh!! First anf foremost the supreme court judgement expected today is not an appeal to last saturday's judgement rather it is an appeal against the previous appeal court's judgement challenging the jurisdiction of the tribunal to sit in Abuja!! If wike wins Saturday's judgement would become a nullity,if it rules against him,he simply falls back to the appeal court to appeal against last saturday's judgement.

Secondly APC contested against the April results on the basis that no elections were held in the state,they called witnesses to prove their case so on what basis do you think the supreme court would award outright victory to Dakuku? There would be no legal basis for that dear!!

33 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by handie(m): 6:16am On Oct 27, 2015
Wike's desperation knows no bounds. Well, one sure thing I know is d supreme court will toe d line of d appeal court in this case.... Cause really, the security situation in rivers state is really appalling(with all d killings that were perpetrated during the elections). As for Wike saying he's popular, dude y not just stop crying over split milk and go for a rerun? If u really are as popular as u say, u won't break a sweat in winning again

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by Nobody: 6:17am On Oct 27, 2015
IVORY2009:

chukwudi, dis early morning? Correct ur mistake "insult/tribal"

I just dont like brown roof top people meddling in other people's affairs!! They have began dashing onlike likes and shares to Dakuku on online poll contests like they did to Ngige even when they have no PVC to vote in the state!! People are starving in Osun state and they leave it to meddle in other people's affairs.

11 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by idu1(m): 6:18am On Oct 27, 2015
chukwudi44:
when ll you have sense?!

14 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by Olaolufred(m): 6:18am On Oct 27, 2015
bugzbunny:
Wike will still win d re run............
Igbos dominate Rivers state

I desire him to win free and fair. That will give him more confidence in the trust people conferred on him.
I believe also woke will win the re-run. I only did not understand while a favorite will not allow a match to be played.

7 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by Nobody: 6:19am On Oct 27, 2015
handie:
Wike's desperation knows no bounds. Well, one sure thing I know is d supreme court will toe d line of d appeal court in this case.... Cause really, the security situation in rivers state is really appalling(with all d killings that were perpetrated during the elections). As for Wike saying he's popular, dude y not just stop crying over split milk and go for a rerun? If u really are as popular as u say, u won't break a sweat in winning again

You cannot blackmail him to go for an unnecessary re-run because he is popular even when he won the elctions!! Why dont you people also asl Ajimobi,Ambode etc to withdraw their defence from the tribunals and go for a re-run since you think they are popular in their states!! The law has given Wike the chance to appeal to the supreme court and he is going to toe that line so STFU

10 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by Lionhearted: 6:19am On Oct 27, 2015
Babzrockman:

The supreme court can't do that.

Courts only grant/deny prayers seeked for.

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by Nobody: 6:20am On Oct 27, 2015
idu1:
when ll you have sense?!

Where is the nonsense in what i wrote?

4 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by IVORY2009(m): 6:21am On Oct 27, 2015
chukwudi44:

I just dont like brown roof top people meddling in other people's affairs!! They have began dashing onlike likes and shares to Dakuku on online poll contests like they did to Ngige even when they have no PVC to vote in the state!! People are starving in Osun state and they leave it to meddle in other people's affairs.

but dat does not mean u hv to insult dem and even their ethnic group to pass ur message across to them, its wrong!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by FreeGlobe(f): 6:21am On Oct 27, 2015
Although I think Wike will not win this vase but security is not enough reason to move this case to Abuja. last I checked, there was no war in Rivers.

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by idu1(m): 6:22am On Oct 27, 2015
chukwudi44:

Where is the nonsense in what i wrote?
defending criminals is your hobby.

Next pls...

13 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by M4gunners: 6:29am On Oct 27, 2015
Wike will win again and again. The lies of APC during campaign with full package of promise, only to come back to tell us they never made such promise is enough for the people of Rivers State to know they has nothing to offer. School Children are still expecting their one meal per day promise till today.

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by handie(m): 6:29am On Oct 27, 2015
chukwudi44:

You cannot blackmail him to go for an unnecessary re-run because he is popular even when he won the elctions!! Why dont you people also asl Ajimobi,Ambode etc to withdraw their defence from the tribunals and go for a re-run since you think they are popular in their states!! The law has given Wike the chance to appeal to the supreme court and he is going to toe that line so STFU
U mumu sha. Where did the most violent elections during the 2015 polls take place? Even d most honest PDP member will attune to d fact that the rivers election was massively flawed.

13 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by porka: 6:30am On Oct 27, 2015
Babzrockman:

[size=13pt]This is a different appeal, Baba Oyo.

He hasn't filed the appeal for Saturday's judgment yet.

Read! You won't die if you do.[/size]

10 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by Nobody: 6:33am On Oct 27, 2015
handie:
U mumu sha. Where did the most violent elections during the 2015 polls take place? Even d most honest PDP member will attune to d fact that the rivers election was massively flawed.

Olodo go and read the judgement,the elections was not annulled because of any yeye violence,It was anulled because incidence forms were used where card readers failed!! This is even contrary to the akwa Ibom tribunals judgement and the appeal court Judgment in lagos state!!! Go and get your facts right!! I hope you dont die of shock when the appeal and supreme courts quashes the useless judgement!! The card readers were not contained in the electoral act hence no basis for it to be used to determine the legality of elections.

10 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Delivers Judgment On Wike’s Appeal Today by Olaolufred(m): 6:39am On Oct 27, 2015
chukwudi44:

Olodo go and read the judgement,the elections was not annulled because of any yeye violence,It was anulled because incidence forms were used where card readers failed!! This is even contrary to the akwa Ibom tribunals judgement and the appeal court Judgment in lagos state!!! Go and get your facts right!! I hope you dont die of shock when the appeal and supreme courts quashes the useless judgement!! The card readers were not contained in the electoral act hence no basis for it to be used to determine the legality of elections.

I hope you will not continue you failure strings.
Because supreme court will uphold the judgement.
I think you should be prepared for a re run where wike will win free and fair. Then his mandate will be people's mandate.

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari Reacts To Niger Delta Avengers’ Threat To Shutdown Oil Production / Tinubu: Without Me, Buhari Would Have Lost In 2015 / Armed Men Crossing Benue River En-Route Agatu (Video) - SBM Intelligence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.