Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,332 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:55 AM

Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? (21489 Views)

Printing More Money Into Our Dwindling Economy ยป Its Effect and Economic Impact / Tetfund Has Cushioned Our Dwindling Capital Allocation, Says Okpara Varsity VC / Armed Helicopter Sent To Calabar To Aid Air Raids Against Kidnappers:pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by scofieldsimba(m): 4:14am On Oct 31, 2015
I just want to know if it is right for our Central bank to print more monies in order to heal our wounded economy..

We are deficit infrastructural. I think it won't be a bad idea if there is a special fund created by CBN to build roads,improve power, improve health care, and create more industries..

I heard most countries at some point in time had to resort to this....

Seasoned economics in the House, I need your contributions..

4 Likes

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by BreezyCB(m): 4:20am On Oct 31, 2015
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by buzquet(m): 4:30am On Oct 31, 2015
Inflation

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by jeffizy(m): 4:40am On Oct 31, 2015
It's nice to raise your concern.
But printing more money will lead to inflation.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by scofieldsimba(m): 4:46am On Oct 31, 2015
jeffizy:
It's nice to raise your concern.
But printing more money will lead to inflation.

The money won't be used to pay salaries na...

But even USA and other developed coutries tried it and it worked...

I remember one article by BAT on this same issue.
The point is our economy is going down and I just feel we need urgent steps else......

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by jeffizy(m): 4:49am On Oct 31, 2015
scofieldsimba:

The point is our economy is going down and I just feel we urgent steps else......
I really like your angle. I hope economists can shed more light on your postulation. It sounds intelligent to be honest.

20 Likes

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by mazeltov(m): 5:38am On Oct 31, 2015
scofieldsimba:

The point is our economy is going down and I just feel we need urgent steps else......
A dwindling economy is different from scarcity of money. They are two different things which requires different approah.
So which one do you want to solve.?
The man has given you the best and the most suitable answer, simply INFLATION . In fact, the little money you have in your bank account is still relevant and useful till today because we are able to keep inflattion down at the lowest possible rate but I won't tell you the effect if inflation it is high and galloping.

You mean America printed more money? Lolzz. It's fat lie. An economic giant like America can never try that. It defies the rules of economics. You don't print more money to solve the problem of scarcity of money.
You don't add salt to a food that is already salty

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by stevecantrell: 6:26am On Oct 31, 2015
Its called quantitative easing.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by tsdarkside(m): 6:27am On Oct 31, 2015
if you print more money,this will devalue the naira much more....your buy-power will reduce extremly....it will hurt those that import things from outside to make a living.,...your idea can only work,if all nigerians agree to only buy localy produced products.....
a very risky suggestion you are making here.....

and the igbos will get very unhappy with you...this is what they are specialized in,to make a living.....

10 Likes

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by kaybams1(m): 7:39am On Oct 31, 2015
stevecantrell:
Its called quantitative easing.

That's not quantitative easing. Quantitative easing is when the Central Bank decides to increase money supply by buying long term securities from commercial banks and the private sector in a bid to reduce long term interest rates. Normally when they want to pursue an expansionary monetary policy, they target buying short term securities in a bid to positively influence money supply. But at times when interest rate becomes too low in recessionary periods, They can't increase money supply through that method. They then target the buying of long term securities such as bonds and all so that long term interest rate can fall in the long run. When it does, other interest rates follows suits and money supply increases.

No Central Bank in the world prints more money to battle recession because money itself have no value if its not backed by something of value. I hope have tried to shed more light.

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by stevecantrell: 8:17am On Oct 31, 2015
kaybams1:

That's not quantitative easing. Quantitative easing is when the Central Bank decides to increase money supply by buying long term securities from commercial banks and the private sector in a bid to reduce long term interest rates. Normally when they want to pursue an expansionary monetary policy, they target buying short term securities in a bid to positively influence money supply. But at times when interest rate becomes too low in recessionary periods, They can't increase money supply through that method. They then target the buying of long term securities such as bonds and all so that long term interest rate can fall in the long run. When it does, other interest rates follows suits and money supply increases.

No Central Bank in the world prints more money to battle recession because money itself have no value if its not backed by something of value. I hope have tried to shed more light.

Sure.

I assumed the OP meant "Print more money" as euphemism for QE. We all know its a common nickname used for QE.

3 Likes

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by tonytony208(m): 8:33am On Oct 31, 2015
scofieldsimba:
I just want to know if it is right for our Central bank to print more monies in order to heal our wounded economy..

We are deficit infracstructurally. I think it won't be a bad idea if there is a special fund created by CBN to build roads,improve power, improve health care, and create more industries..

Cc
Tonye barcanista
Lalasticlala

If they print more money, then too much money will be in circulation and too much money will be chasing few goods. Money will lose its value and the economy will be in shambles. Consequently, the Nigerian currency, naira, will have the same value as tissue paper (toilet roll).

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by tonytony208(m): 8:34am On Oct 31, 2015
scofieldsimba:

It can only be done in secret and not in open.

1 Like

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by mazeltov(m): 8:37am On Oct 31, 2015
He even said United states did it.
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by Babalegba(m): 9:34am On Oct 31, 2015
tonytony208:

How do you spend cash in secret

3 Likes

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by dultmax(m): 10:09am On Oct 31, 2015
goods and services produced in an economy are the key determinant of the value of a country's currency. Nigeria has a country lost its chances to improve its economy and add value to its currency when the price of crude oil rises to about 140$ per barrel. what this means is that the country earns more dollars (which is the center piece currency in the forex market) and as such should have a high impact on naira. However, naira does not appreciates during these years and this actually goes against economic indicators. However the only factor that can be responsible for these means that as the country is earning more dollars, so also is something taking away the dollars from the country and that is another concept of money laundery. in simple terms, the country now sell crude oil around 50 dollar per barrel which is the reason for the sharp decline in the nations revenue base and a reason why we need to source for another means to earn dollars which they now call diversification. The economy will fix itself if other sectors like Agriculture, Mining, can be developed . printing more money will devalue our currency and thats inflation.

10 Likes

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by EternalTruths: 10:30am On Oct 31, 2015
scofieldsimba:

We are deficit infracstructurally. I think it won't be a bad idea if there is a special fund created by CBN to build roads,improve power, improve health care, and create more industries..

Cc
Tonye barcanista
Lalasticlala

True federalism is the way out

When the states control a reasonable portion of their resources, this will speedup economic diversification leading to economic prosperity

dultmax:
goods and services produced in an economy are the key determinant of the value of a country's currency. Nigeria has a country lost its chances to improve its economy and add value to its currency when the price of crude oil rises to about 140$ per barrel. what this means is that the country earns more dollars (which is the center piece currency in the forex market) and as such should have a high impact on naira. However, naira does not appreciates during these years and this actually goes against economic indicators. However the only factor that can be responsible for these means that as the country is earning more dollars, so also is something taking away the dollars from the country and that is another concept of money laundery. in simple terms, the country now sell crude oil around 50 dollar per barrel which is the reason for the sharp decline in the nations revenue base and a reason why we need to source for another means to earn dollars which they now call diversification. The economy will fix itself if other sectors like Agriculture, Mining, can be developed . printing more money will devalue our currency and thats inflation.

5 Likes

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by scofieldsimba(m): 1:23pm On Oct 31, 2015
tonytony208:

Sure,that's what am hoping...

Men we gats meet up man..

Crude oil is not paying any longer. Nigeria lost over 43 billion naira last month.

That's enough to take care of like 5 states..
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by scofieldsimba(m): 1:27pm On Oct 31, 2015
dultmax:

The price of crude oil may never go beyond $60 for a very long time..

I just hope there is an easy way out...

1 Like

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by damton(m): 6:26pm On Oct 31, 2015
h
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by veekid(m): 6:26pm On Oct 31, 2015
There will be deflation
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by Opinedecandid(m): 6:27pm On Oct 31, 2015
God forbid.

But one can never tell.
This 'body language' Government can do and undo?

2 Likes

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by vladimiros: 6:28pm On Oct 31, 2015
Mumu dats how u get inflation

1 Like

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by loomer: 6:28pm On Oct 31, 2015
Print more money? Money finish before?

Make all the politiftian bring money wey dem hide under mattress jare

2 Likes

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by kayo80(m): 6:29pm On Oct 31, 2015
hmm
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 31, 2015
undecided
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by Awwal1st(m): 6:29pm On Oct 31, 2015
Not fore sale grin
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by pretydiva(f): 6:29pm On Oct 31, 2015
I'm here to gain knowledge
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by osile2012: 6:29pm On Oct 31, 2015
[size=18pt]You want to carry money in wheel barrow to buy bread abi ? grin grin[/size]

20 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Saraki's Trial Adjourned Due To Power Failure / Bribery: NJC Sacks 3 Judges, Orders Their Prosecution / Proforce Or SP1: Which Nigerian Army Utility Vehicle Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.